• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kizuna (Wii) screens

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Um, that's a pretty original and badass website.

Bodes well for the game? Or just cool coverup?

Stormbringer said:
If you can't access the site, here are some of the BGM from the site, which I managed to rip :

Story (4:13)

Characters (0:54)

Huge Boss (1:39)

Huge Boss 2 (2:44)

Other (3:05)

Other 2 (1:13)

I'm really liking these. Game's starting to shape up really well.

Who's the composer? The feel of the game is becoming much more clear when you put the screens and music together... I like "other"... it's weird like "Breezy/FFVII" and "Zora's Domain" put together...

0_0

The-Switcher said:
I think it looks great. Yeah, it's clearly a SOTC knock off, but fortunately not as Linkin Parky as SOTC was.
Im still wondering how people come to think that this is some SoTC rip.

Do people say that about every game with huge-jump-on-them bosses?

Love the music!

Amir0x

Banned
The-Switcher said:
I think it looks great. Yeah, it's clearly a SOTC knock off, but fortunately not as Linkin Parky as SOTC was.

"Linkin Parky". And the award for phrase which least accurately describes a game goes to... The-Switcher!

Black-Wind said:
Im still wondering how people come to think that this is some SoTC rip.

Do people say that about every game with huge-jump-on-them bosses?

There's so few games that actually do that at any significant degree, or make it a key selling point. The obvious comparisons are going to be made. Not to mention the design of the only boss we've seen so far is like a poor-man's color blind Colossus. Magnitude giving way to fur shading and easily grabbed surfaces.

The game itself may be wildly different, but the first impression it gives is very evocative of SotC. I highly doubt it's all coincidental. It's not like that's an attack, though. I do believe many people liked SotC.

-WindYoshi- said:
Who's the composer? The feel of the game is becoming much more clear when you put the screens and music together... I like "other"... it's weird like "Breezy/FFVII" and "Zora's Domain" put together...

It sounds VERY familiar, these tracks. I bet the composer will be someone fairly recognizable, since I'm positive these tracks are similar to some I've heard in another game recently... though I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm interested to hear who it is too. It's not half bad.

-WindYoshi- said:
Who's the composer?
I'd really like to know that as well, unfortunately his name hasn't been revealed so far. Could be some no name composer, or some relatively famous one, but I personally don't recognize this style (though some distincts parts remind me slightly of various VG composers).

jay

The-Switcher said:

How dare you besmirch the name of Linkin Park by comparing them to such a terrible game.

Amir0x

Banned
jay said:
How dare you besmirch the name of Linkin Park by comparing them to such a terrible game.

the black hole of terrible taste in jay's post has collapsed the internet we're going to die oh NOOOOOOOOO--

Haunted

The SotC influence in the screens can't be denied. I'm usually one of those critical of devs extensively ripping other games off instead of making something original, but as Ami said, it's not as if there are a whole lot of games out there that are actually similar to SotC. Plus, I'm seeing more shots with smaller enemies, which leads me to believe that the focus won't be on the bosses as much as in SotC.

Looking forward to see more.

Melville said:
That looks terrible.
You look terrible.

jay

Amir0x said:
the black hole of terrible taste in jay's post has collapsed the internet we're going to die oh NOOOOOOOOO--

I tried so hard
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me

* Since I've been banned before for undetected sarcasm please note that I am kidding. Linkin Park is worse than AIDS.

jay

Amir0x said:
WINK when you use sarcasm that sort of shit is blasphemy goddamn! :eek:

But then I can't complain about how I'm oppressed because no one understands me. This reminds me of a song...

I hate when you say you don’t understand
I want to be in the energy, not with the enemy

Maybe someday I’ll be just like you and
Step on people like you do and Run
Away the people I thought I knew

Amir0x said:
There's so few games that actually do that at any significant degree, or make it a key selling point. The obvious comparisons are going to be made. Not to mention the design of the only boss we've seen so far is like a poor-man's color blind Colossus. Magnitude giving way to fur shading and easily grabbed surfaces.

The game itself may be wildly different, but the first impression it gives is very evocative of SotC. I highly doubt it's all coincidental. It's not like that's an attack, though. I do believe many people liked SotC.

Heres what I don't understand. . .

How are "huge bosses" that big of a selling point here? Thats only one part of it. . . one bullet that they used. SoTC is all big bosses and nothing else so I can see that being a "comparing poin"t but thats it really. I think they made it a "selling point" because they have alot of big bosses, not to make it seem like some SoTC "rip off".

And here (Wiki and IGN cause Im cool like that :D )
The game focuses on a young man named Wander who must travel across a vast expanse on horseback and defeat sixteen beings, known as colossi, to restore the life of a girl. The game is unusual within the action-adventure genre in that there are no towns or dungeons to explore, no characters with which to interact, and no enemies to defeat, other than the colossi.[4][5] Shadow of the Colossus has been described as a puzzle game, as each colossus' weakness must be identified and exploited before it can be defeated.[6][7]

And compare that to this. .
http://wii.ign.com/articles/905/905770p1.html

And they just seem too different.
I do feel it is fair to compare what we know about the bosses to SoTC but I think it starts and stops there. . .at the bosses. Just soo happens that SoTC is all about the 16 huge boss fights so "SoTC like Boss fights" seems like more than it is.

(And, talking about first impressions, my first impression was . . . Dynasty Warriors meet LoZ like world of monsters? Than I saw the boss and thought ". . Ico meets GoW2 like Boss fights?")

Saying this mainly after I did some searching to see what people thought of the game and saw alot of lil SoTC fan-boys bashing this game cause "SoTC iz thz MazterpieCeZ! ThIZ sOMe bULLZhIt RiPP-Off For the WiiZ!" (Lil bastards, can get pretty up set) for no other reason than the boss's size.

Eh, w/e. I think this will resolve it's self once we get some info/ trailers/ interviews and what not.

jeremy1456

Kingdom Hearts had a lot of big bosses, so does that mean that Shadow of the Collossus is a rip-off of that?

You people boggle the mind.

Eteric Rice

Didn't God of War have huge bosses?

I think what made SotC cool is the way you fought the bosses. You were thrown, flipped, etc, all over the place.

Was fantastic. :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game looks GREAT. Something promising for Wii at last! YEAH! Mine has been gathering dust there. When is TOS2 released?

Tenbatsu said:
Cause that's the only game that they played that consists of big bosses?
I think its the same reason that some of the fans sony brang in seem to think that FF started on sony systems.

Doesn't put them in the right for tagging anything with huge bosses some "SoTC rip off/ knock off/ poor man's SoTSC!!!". :lol

And whats up with all those characters? Does the mag say that theres a party system? They seemed to have made a big deal over like 3 other characters on the site (standing with the main guy) and in the first tips about the game they talked about a tomboy princess (young girl on the site I guess).

Redd

flintstryker said:
I still can't seem to figure out why people think SOTC invented big bosses.

True SOTC didn't invent big bosses but this game seems to be borrowing some ideas from the game. You really can't blame them even if they're somewhat wrong.

Dascu

Black-Wind said:
And whats up with all those characters? Does the mag say that theres a party system? They seemed to have made a big deal over like 3 other characters on the site (standing with the main guy) and in the first tips about the game they talked about a tomboy princess (young girl on the site I guess).
There's no party system, but the relationships between the main character and the NPCs seem to be a big gameplay element. Hence the title "Kizuna" ~ "Bonds".

Soule

I'll happily admit, despite having decent first impressions of the screens, I already written Kizuna off in my mind. Jaleco hardly filled me with confidence and having been revealed so close to the release date it gave me the impression this was getting rushed out as a half-hearted attempt to fill a void before someone else thinks of the idea...

But wow, the music, the artstyle, the website, the new screens, everything is really surpassing my expectations greatly. I really hope this continues to prove my initial impression wrong, it's really showing some promise.

Soule said:
I'll happily admit, despite having decent first impressions of the screens, I already written Kizuna off in my mind. Jaleco hardly filled me with confidence and having been revealed so close to the release date it gave me the impression this was getting rushed out as a half-hearted attempt to fill a void before someone else thinks of the idea...

But wow, the music, the artstyle, the website, the new screens, everything is really surpassing my expectations greatly. I really hope this continues to prove my initial impression wrong, it's really showing some promise.

Uhh, this is the same strategy Nintendo uses...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Zoramon089 said:
And depending on the company/game that strategy means different things. When you consider backgrounds, some will deserve the benefit of the doubt more than others.

Soule

Zoramon089 said:
Nintendo is whole other beast compared to Jaleco. I'm sure there's plenty of other companies who share this strategy that don't have a fraction of the success Nintendo does.

Top Bottom