• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kizuna (Wii) screens

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dascu said:
Isn't the full title Kizuna: Golden Bonds?

Regardless, they should show some damn gameplay footage instead of these bizarre commercials.
Ougon no Kizuna means Golden Bonds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Am I the only one who thinks this looks simply awful graphically?

The art direction isn't anything special, the filter doesn't add any charm, and the rendering of everything else seems early-PS2 low poly low texture rubbish with inconsistent and confusing use of colour and tones.

Hopefully it plays better than it looks, because I'm far from sold. Then again, maybe I should wait for more videos :p.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
EatChildren said:

The art direction isn't anything special, the filter doesn't add any charm, and the rendering of everything else seems early-PS2 low poly low texture rubbish with inconsistent and confusing use of colour and tones.

Hopefully it plays better than it looks, because I'm far from sold. Then again, maybe I should wait for more videos :p.
No you're not, the only thing I'm sold on so far is the music and the art is looking good too.

Dascu

EatChildren said:

Yeah, the graphics aren't too hot. However, I like the art design and I hope they can give the battles an "epic" feel.

Akai

Man, that music made the trailer...Great stuff...

(Anyway, here's a rough translation of the speech from what I could tell...And by rough, I mean ROUGH...Anyone is free to correct me...

"Stand up, lonely young man..."
"What is it that you desire?"
"Friendship?"
"Love?"
"If you do not fight, you will not obtain these things..."
"Cool your head..."
"Else it is inevitable you will destroy those bonds..."
"Future battle awaits...")

Dascu

New trailer looks nice. I want to see some actual gameplay footage of the hero fighting one of those giants though.

Fritz

looks decent enough. the character models could be less static but I dont mind. the design makes this. anyone else getting a nice 80s vibe from this?

Gwanatu T

I didn't watch it with sound (at work), but it honestly looks kind of...cheesy. My excitement level has dropped quite a bit until I see some gameplay video.

Gwanatu T said:
I didn't watch it with sound (at work), but it honestly looks kind of...cheesy. My excitement level has dropped quite a bit until I see some gameplay video.

uh.. welcome to the JRPG genre? :lol :lol

Gwanatu T

kiruyama said:

Well I know that, but this looks like such a budget title it's not even funny. There are plenty of examples of JRPGs that are B-grade in their stories/characters and aren't as bad looking as this is. Also, when did this become a JRPG? I thought this was basically SoTC?

Nicktals

Banned
kiruyama said:

This is a JRPG? I thought it was action/adventure.

No, I didn't think it was SoTC like above. But I did not think it was an RPG. Doesn't matter, as I'll still be interested and take a wait and see approach...but giant bosses are less impressive in an RPG than an action/adventure.

New screens:

kizuna_j-1.jpg
kizuna_j-2.jpg

kizuna_j-3.jpg
kizuna_j-4.jpg

kizuna_j-5.jpg
kizuna_j-6.jpg

kizuna_j-7.jpg

I've got no clue where these are from, could be from the website (haven't checked), or MAYBE taken from scans we don't know of? I REALLY hope it's not from the latter for my sake. :'(

Nicktals said:
This is a JRPG? I thought it was action/adventure.

No, I didn't think it was SoTC like above. But I did not think it was an RPG. Doesn't matter, as I'll still be interested and take a wait and see approach...but giant bosses are less impressive in an RPG than an action/adventure.

well, its an action RPG. i just lump it with JRPG because its from japan and they usually share the cliches and cheesiness :p

edit: lolz @ new screens. super small, blurry, and just all around poor quality. you can't even make out the pencil shader effect.

bdouble

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see those screens and scroll to the top of this page and look at the other ones.

BIG news:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22804

Jaleco Limited officials in Tokyo have confirmed to Gamasutra its plans to continue in the video game business, following financial firm Jaleco Holdings' sale of its stake in video game subsidiary Jaleco Limited to Game Yarou in January of this year.

Due to the parent and subsidiary companies using the same "Jaleco" title -- known for '80s- and '90s-era games like Bases Loaded and Totally Rad -- confusion arose in numerous press reports.

Many outlets noted that Jaleco Limited was discontinuing business operations under the new GameYarou ownership, referring to a press release from January.

However, Jaleco Limited press spokesperson Yuki Takakura, commenting to Gamasutra this week on behalf of Jaleco president Takayasu Kato and GameYarou, has stated that this information is incorrect.

Jaleco Limited will operate normally under GameYarou's full ownership, with no changes being made to its established operations. It will continue to retain the Jaleco brand name and operate its Tokyo office independently of Game Yarou. The developer-publisher is preparing action RPG Kizuna for a May 28 release on Wii in Japan.

When asked about the possibility of Kizuna being released outside Japan, Takakura commented, "Unfortunately, I can't tell you yet, but wait for it."

Kizuna (Ougon No Kizuna) is being developed by TownFactory, and was written by Final Fantasy XII and Sword of Mana scenario designer Miwa Shoda. Taking the director's helm is Yoichi Kawaguchi, who was credited as the main programmer of Dragon Quest VIII.

Kizuna's storyline revolves around a lone soldier named Lian, who upon learning of his father's mysterious disappearance sets out on a journey to find him.

Lian must overcome his introvert personality to form bonds with other characters he meets on his journey through 100 different quests. Another central character within Kizuna is Aina, a royal princess of the Navigatria kingdom with magician ancestry.

The game boasts a battle system that allows over 100 monsters to appear on the screen at once. Kizuna makes use of the Wii nunchuck and remote for what Jaleco calls an "easy-operating battle system."

The soundtrack is composed by electronic musician Ken Inaoka, a native of Fukuoka, Japan, where TownFactory's development office is based. Inaoka is also known as the co-founder of Syzygy Records, one of the first independent Japanese techno music labels.

Jaleco confirmed it does have new titles in development beyond Kizuna, but declined to release any further information.

The current incarnatin of the firm, Jaleco Limited, was established in 2006 as a developer of console, mobile and online games. Former parent Jaleco Holding is the descendant of longtime console and arcade game developer Jaleco, whose vast game library is now maintained by Jaleco Limited. The company supplies content to Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console and the G-Cluster gaming-on-demand broadband service.

Jaleco Limited's new parent company, Game Yarou, is a branch office of South Korean publisher GameHi Incorporated, know for its MMORPG Dekaron and first-person shooter Sudden Attack.

I have a new thread in the making about this, should I go ahead and post it?

Those screens are on the website and they're underlined by instructions. Basically, they're there to tell you what happens when you press a button on the wiimote/nunchuck so you guys shouldn't be thinking, "Where are the enemies!?"

Akai

Hero of Legend said:
When asked about the possibility of Kizuna being released outside Japan, Takakura commented, "Unfortunately, I can't tell you yet, but wait for it."

Big news indeed! I'll go ahead and take this as confirmation!

Gwanatu T

The game boasts a battle system that allows over 100 monsters to appear on the screen at once

Woah, nice! I'm glad it's an ARPG of sorts, can't wait to hear more about this. My heart sank when I saw you guys saying JRPG.

Glad to see that Jaleco is alive and well.

WTF is up with that commercial though? Gold sex?

And why was that golden girl on the bus in a thong?

batbeg

Kind of reminded me of Drakengard maybe? Would buy it after price collapse, but not full price if it plays like it looks :/

Dascu

Ohhh... the gameplay for taking on the giant bosses isn't like SotC at all. Still, that's a really terrible score. The game doesn't look that bad. Anyone from J-Gaf willing to give this game a go?

Top Bottom