• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack II in development for PS4, according to animator's résumé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturno999

ZoBrZfPSTMAceAru3R95_Alejandro-Sabella-Faint.gif

OMG this thread won't stop delivering lmao.

Interesting. I think a Knack sequel would be pretty good if they could:
  • Improve their awful checkpoints
  • Make the story mildly interesting
  • Add some more platforming elements

Sadly I never finished OG Knack because of those first two things.

Henkka

Banned
This Crash Bandicoot fanaticism has to stop. Seriously people, I implore you to rethink this. Outside of a very specific GAF bubble, no one wants to play Crash HD. They were excellent games for their time, but they were essentially 2.5D corridor platformers. The gameplay that was acceptable in 1996 would put most people to sleep if released in 2016, and for good reasons. Besides, Crash Bandicoot games were for children. If you put a Crash game in front of a kid today, they'd want to know where the portal is to switch characters. Or why they can't build a house. Literally nobody cares about Crash Bandicoot.

As for Knack 2, uh, okay. I guess they figured it was better than doing a new IP. The franchise being essentially GoW-lite for kids is totally fine. At least character action games are still a relevant genre that people play.

MrHoot

I think there's room to keep the core mechanics of the original game while also expanding the scope to include more platforming elements that people seem to desire. The combat wasn't bad, it just didn't have enough to it to make up for the total lack of any other bells and whistles in most people's eyes. Combined with more platforming and more abilities, along with an actual growth system that allows you to access new areas depending on your size rather than just being fixed like in the first game, it could be a really fun game.

Oh for sure!
Of the most, the growth thing seemed interesting but I felt it way too scripted and criminally under exploited. With a stronger level design that would also allow more diversity with said mechanic, could be quite interesting.

Still not a fan at all of the story presentation tho. I liked the Pixar approach but it seemed to be way too grand for what it was trying to achieve

This Crash Bandicoot fanaticism has to stop. Seriously people, I implore you to rethink this. Outside of a very specific GAF bubble, no one wants to play Crash HD. They were excellent games for their time, but they were essentially 2.5D corridor platformers. The gameplay that was acceptable in 1996 would put most people to sleep if released in 2016, and for good reasons. Besides, Crash Bandicoot games were for children. If you put a Crash game in front of a kid today, they'd want to know where the portal is to switch characters. Or why they can't build a house. Literally nobody cares about Crash Bandicoot.

As for Knack 2, uh, okay. I guess they figured it was better than doing a new IP. The franchise being essentially GoW-lite for kids is totally fine. At least character action games are still a relevant genre that people play.

Nobody wants Crash HD, they just want the original trilogy of games, which sell in their droves every month on PSN.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How many people do you think liked the original and would pay 60$ for it when it releases now where there are tons of good games available on the console?

The ones who liked it will. They are the demographic, lol. What am I even reading?

Fdkn

Yes.

The problem is even if the game improves the shit before its release will undoubtedly affect its sales. How many people do you think liked the original and would pay 60$ for it when it releases now where there are tons of good games available on the console?

But there are hundreds of games with bad critics and hated by people on the internet that sold. Are you sure these two are what determine sales and nothing else? Can't you understand that each game has a different target and that even if you think the universe revolves around your likings and ideas, it doesn't?

I'm blown away by all the people hating Knack.
It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't the awful game so many here are making it sound.

It was at least "decent", and I look forward to if Sony announces a new game.

Ushay

Interesting. I think a Knack sequel would be pretty good if they could:
  • Improve their awful checkpoints
  • Make the story mildly interesting
  • Add some more platforming elements

Sadly I never finished OG Knack because of those first two things.

So basically don't make Knack again? Gotcha :)

In all seriousness, there are some amazing platformers out there for PlayStation .. Knack ain't one of them.

Fdkn

So basically don't make Knack again? Gotcha :)

In all seriousness, there are some amazing platformers out there for PlayStation .. Knack ain't one of them.

Knack is not a platformer. It has some jumps, but that doesn't make it a platformer.

hawk2025

No way.

I just replayed Crash 2 and 3. They are fantastic games. Great ideas, varied levels, lots of fun and inspired design.

Zomba13

Knack looked nice and would probably have made a decent kids CGI film but wasn't a fun game.

I mean, if they improved on every thing from the first game and made it better then sure, I guess I could give it another shot. It was a cool idea.

Camjo-Z

Knack is not a platformer. It has some jumps, but that doesn't make it a platformer.

Reminds me of that piece of shit PaRappa. You start the game up and they explain the controls - you can kick, punch, chop, and block. Then you never do any fighting for the rest of the game! WTF??? Worst brawler ever.

Wait a minute. I never played Knack so I am only reading this thread for the giggles. But since when Character action is a more successful genre nowadays than platforming? Outside two franchises DmC and GoW can't think of any big franchises that are sucesfull commercially.

Whompa02

How well did the first one sell? Seemed like a very niche title that people bought early on because there was not much else, or were given to as a pack in exclusive...

Draconian

Ha. That's funny. As if anybody but ourselves gives a flying fuck what GAF thinks about anything. This thread shows that there are a ton of people who never played Knack and jump on the hate bandwagon anyway. It's alright to dislike Knack. It is not normal, healthy, or anywhere near useful for anyone to loathe it the way many of you do.

GAF is not some repository of truth where the distilled wisdom of enthusiasts is compressed into a diamond that perfectly represents the state of the industry. It's actually filled with a ton of angry know-nothings who can't dance. At least not like Knack can in the closing credit sequence.

I feel like I'm in a The Order thread now...

Can't wait!

Also LOL at people somehow thinking GAF memes has enough weight to pull this off. First one probably cost pennies to make (relatively speaking) and made a profit.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
How well did the first one sell? Seemed like a very niche title that people bought early on because there was not much else, or were given to as a pack in exclusive...
Knack ran a train through Mario at the time so you do the math.
Some say Mario will never be the same again...

High Rise

Neo Member
I won't count it out just yet, but if a sequel is coming it better fix all knacks problems! I found it lacklustre in almost every way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom