• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack PS4 install: 37gb's!

HardRojo

I might have to get a 2 TB disk before I start using the PS4 I suppose lol, I'm still rocking the stock 120 GB one on my PS3 Slim but I've grown tired of deleting stuff so often.

Paganmoon

Not surprising. Faithful PC ports of console games have been 30GB (Max Payne 3). Higher res textures, more fluid animations, less compressed audio all come at a cost.
those ports have more than one quality texture though, they usually have one for each setting.

DeltaJay

Banned

cernyps4onz6xh8_zps61ea5ecc.gif

Do we know how big Shadowfall's install is yet?

Yes.

bbalde

You do it once, and if you don't revisit the game after a year time or so, just erase it. Those consoles are like computer now since years.

GQman2121

Banned
Blu rays for gaming have become nothing more carrier devices to circumvent shitty internet infrastructure around the globe.

DieH@rd

Banned
Cerny mentioned that he wants for all developers to compress all data on BluRay, and to take advantage from integrated uncompressing modules inside APU.

Moosehole

Obviously they're going to be bigger games, but with a 500GB HDD this is going to quickly become a space problem.

The largest HDD available that will even fit into the PS4 to my knowledge is 1.5TB. At the rate I buy games I'll fill that up in 2 years tops.

hohoXD123

Storage capacity and the cost associated to it is half of the problem. The time it takes to download +30go files is the second half. 100% annoying.

You play as you download anyway, it's not like you're going to have to wait until you've downloaded the entire file. Unless if your internet connection is dodgy as hell then it shouldn't be too annoying.

DeltaJay

Banned
Eh, I'll just upgrade my internet speed. We don't have bandwidth caps where I live.

I'm paying $105 for this right now. Doesn't even include cable. I think the need for faster internet is going to increase a lot in the next coming years.

3061290610.png

bbalde

Blu rays for gaming have become nothing more carrier devices to circumvent shitty internet infrastructure around the globe.
Hey, you are insulting my 2 meg line here, which is throttled right now to 512Kb because I exceeded my 30Gb limit :)

Possum

Obviously they're going to be bigger games, but with a 500GB HDD this is going to quickly become a space problem.

The largest HDD available that will even fit into the PS4 to my knowledge is 1.5TB. At the rate I buy games I'll fill that up in 2 years tops.

Fortunately, HDD sizes will only increase and the prices will drop as time goes by. Just three years ago, the largest SATA HDD was a mere 750GB. And it cost $240, which was considered a steal.

I guess I wasn't expecting an 8-10 hour single-player-only game to be 40GBs. Silly me.

VERY good point. After all, most 1080p-supported PC games are 30+GB...right?

You weren't? Did you miss Metal Gear Solid Revengence? 18.5gb, naturally games are going to get bigger, much bigger. Max Payne on PC being absolutely massive already reinforces my point.

Oneself

Not surprising. I have a bunch of BRD PS3 games (quite a lot in fact) that require between 3 to 6 Gb.
Wasn't it expected? Hell, GT5 takes over 10Gb...

Loakum

Banned
I really don't see this as a major issue. I'm just gonna upgrade the hard drive to 1TB, and if need be, delete game installs I've already beaten. Problem solved.

Damaniel

Banned
This is insane. The cutscenes must not be real-time, and they must be insanely high bitrate. This sort of thing is just annoying. KNACK shouldn't be THIRTY-SEVEN GIGS. Super Mario 3D World, while not 1080, probably has a similar amount of content and somewhat similar visual fidelity for the most part (I KNOW it's not doing everything Knack is) and is like two gigs. I really hope this doesn't become a pattern, or I fear that this "digital future" will be far more than a stepping stone away.

At the same time, much of the 'texture' work in Super Mario 3D World is really just shaded polygons, the music is usually MIDI-like (instead of lightly or uncompressed multichannel audio) and there isn't much in the way of cutscene video. Nintendo's art style isn't as texture heavy as that of other developers, so there just aren't as many giant assets in Nintendo (first party) games as there are in others.

Personally, I'm fine with the larger disk/game sizes. Why create next-gen hardware that can push huge textures around, and then constrain everything with small, heavily compressed textures to save space? Why create cutscenes on 1080p, Blu-Ray enabled hardware, but compress the hell out of them to save space? I say use that space, dammit!

Megatron

None of this matters to me as I won't be buying most retail games digitally. It's a feature I value with a portable system so I don't have to carry my games around with me, but at home, there's no real advantage to digital. Not having to get up and put a disk in the system is not an advantage to me. I'm not that lazy. I guess eventually when/if PSPlus starts offering retail PS4 games, then I might have to consider a larger harddrive, like I did with my PS3, but by that point they'll be that much cheaper. For my PS3 I just put in a 500 gig drive from a laptop that broke.

-PXG-

37 GBs for barren, lifeless ass levels. Da fuck? Whatever...

Eh, I need another retail game at launch anyway, I've been debating picking Knack up for the hell of it.

Top Bottom