• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack PS4 install: 37gb's!

I feel like everything is just uncompressed for launch games. Not seeing why games are this big. But then again we don't have the whole picture of all the launch games and surprises they could bring up.

Not surprising. Faithful PC ports of console games have been 30GB (Max Payne 3). Higher res textures, more fluid animations, less compressed audio all come at a cost.

I feel like someone should assemble a next gen retail and DD game size OT so we can discuss all this in one thread. Are we really going to make a new thread for each game?

Plus it would be cool to reference later in the generation when you want to play a new game but need to see if you should delete a game or two beforehand. And we can sort them by size. Someone get on this stat!

Tambini

Don't really have anything to comment on the size of the game but from recent videos it actually looks not bad..I like the apparent difficulty and local co-op is always good.

I feel like everything is just uncompressed for launch games. Not seeing why games are this big.

You do realize that every generation games have gotten exponentially larger... right?

I mean, I'm sure they will figure out a way around larger sizes if it starts cutting into sales - but I don't see it cutting into sales so I don't see developers giving a shit.

Polybius

Neo Member
My plan to continue rolling with discs for one more generation (for home consoles, at least) continues to be vindicated.

Skilletor

I'm confused. Are games installed or cached on ps4? Or can you do either?

No, but this huge early in the next gen is a sign of something...

A sign that developers are using the space they have? It's not like we haven't had games on ps3 with comparable file sizes.

Valnen

No, but this huge early in the next gen is a sign of something...

The only thing that it's a sign of is that it's a new generation. This happens every new generation. It's just been invisible to the consumer most of the time in the past (unless they were into PC games).

RE_Player

Are we going to have a dedicated thread when every game's file size is revealed for next generation? Games get bigger from generation to generation, this isn't big news.

I think this is just required disk space for game caching... I don't think every damn game will have to be installed, that would be retarded.... Oh wait isn't that what MS wanted to do with the XBone?

VanWinkle

This is insane. The cutscenes must not be real-time, and they must be insanely high bitrate. This sort of thing is just annoying. KNACK shouldn't be THIRTY-SEVEN GIGS. Super Mario 3D World, while not 1080, probably has a similar amount of content and somewhat similar visual fidelity for the most part (I KNOW it's not doing everything Knack is) and is like two gigs. I really hope this doesn't become a pattern, or I fear that this "digital future" will be far more than a stepping stone away.

Storage capacity and the cost associated to it is half of the problem. The time it takes to download +30go files is the second half. 100% annoying.

A few hours. Leave it on overnight, or have it download during the day while you're at school/work?

Not really a big deal.

The Last of Us was around this size and I had no issues downloading it relatively quickly.

LAA

This is a bad thing?
I thought this kind of file size is supposed to be expected...

Unless you mean in terms of downloading, which even so, tough really. I plan on getting physical anyway, but file sizes are likely to just keep going up, hopefully speeds will increase further too to compensate for that.

Ark

cernyps4onz6xh8_zps61ea5ecc.gif

Do we know how big Shadowfall's install is yet?

Top Bottom