• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knife Gaf |OT| The Finest Cutlery

J-Roderton

Welcome To Knife Gaf

1516586100842.jpg

Chances are in your day-to-day you open packages, slice up a fruit, pry out a splinter, cut a bit of rope, etc...and you need a knife. This thread is to discuss all things knives. Yeah. I always have one on me pretty much anywhere I go and if you look at generations of the past, gentlemen and women used to do the same. You never know when you'll need one, that and it's pretty cool to whip out a sweet blade to open up presents on Christmas morning instead of ripping into it with your fingers.

Popular Knife Styles

Modern Folders
You got your popular brands like Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw. The list goes on. You can snag an everyday folder with decent steel under $50 on most good knife sites. Of course there are your budget knives, the kind you find at a flea market, that of course have their place, but my sweet spot is again $20-$50 for a decent folder that won't screw up on you. Again that is just how I budget my tools. You can spend a good chunk of change on some flashy modern knives.

SP-C101MBGP2.jpg

BM-535.jpg

Traditional Pocket Knives
Yeah, like the ones your grandfather carried. You'll find a good selection of these from brands like Case, Buck, Rough Rider. These are pretty popular for old school collectors too. You'll typically see trapper, stockman, and canoe knives as examples of these.

BU-389BRS.jpg

Fixed Blade Knives
Just that. They don't fold up and are typically larger/longer and are used for outdoors, camping, hunting, and/ tactical applications. Some states restrict carrying these around. There are some really bad ass options out there.

cold-steel-recon-tanto-13rtk-d2-fixed-blade.jpg

SG-E37TK.jpg

If you're new to the knife world, at least check out some of your local laws on what you can carry. I know some places can restrict quite a bit, especially outside of the USA. There are so many types of knives, blade steels, uses, handle materials, etc, this thread would take a week to list everything. This is just a basic run down of sorts.

Anyway not even sure if there is an interest here, but felt like making this thread. Feel free to discuss multitools like Leatherman, or Swiss Army or whatever as well.

What do you carry?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't carry a knife. However, I clean and sharpen my kitchen knives on the regular. Does this count?

Almost all kitchen work is performed by a Chinese cleaver. I rarely touch my knife block except to grab the sharpening steel.

J-Roderton

I don't carry a knife. However, I clean and sharpen my kitchen knives on the regular. Does this count?

Almost all kitchen work is performed by a Chinese cleaver. I rarely touch my knife block except to grab the sharpening steel.

Oh yeah most definitely. If it’s cuts we can talk about it. 👍🏻

Kadayi

Banned
I have a Promithi Outdoor Foldable knife that I keep in my man bag for parcel opening emergencies and the like. (which are frequent) Technically street legal in the UK, but not something I'm inclined to carry directly in my pocket because it looks vicious as hell when open. Decent blade though.

417WWiSUjFL._SL350_.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I enjoy practicing with blunt butterfly knives. I'm not brave enough to try the real thing yet, and they're illegal in Canada.

J-Roderton

I enjoy practicing with blunt butterfly knives. I'm not brave enough to try the real thing yet, and they're illegal in Canada.

I mess around with the practice versions every now and then. Not ready to test those waters quite yet. Ha.

highrider

Banned
Tactical type knives are cool, but I don’t really see myself actually ever needing to air some fool out, therefore my interest generally is in chef knives.

HeresJohnny

I'm just beginning to get into knives. I started out with a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with digi-camo G10 scales. But I've since acquired a Delica 4 in blue, an Endura in Orange, a Benchmade 940 Osborne, and a Benchmade Bugout. Also bought a Boker auto on sale at Blade HQ.

The PM2 is still my fave. I'm planning on getting a Benchmade Mini Crooked River, a Spyderco Dragonfly, and a Buck 110 auto.

J-Roderton

I'm just beginning to get into knives. I started out with a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with digi-camo G10 scales. But I've since acquired a Delica 4 in blue, an Endura in Orange, a Benchmade 940 Osborne, and a Benchmade Bugout. Also bought a Boker auto on sale at Blade HQ.

The PM2 is still my fave. I'm planning on getting a Benchmade Mini Crooked River, a Spyderco Dragonfly, and a Buck 110 auto.

Spyderco has a new Para 3 lightweight too. Pretty nice.

Haven't heard much on the 110 autos. If they're anything like the regular version then I'm sure they're just fine.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Spyderco has a new Para 3 lightweight too. Pretty nice.

Haven't heard much on the 110 autos. If they're anything like the regular version then I'm sure they're just fine.
I've only read about the 110, never been able to actually lay hands on one... they're sold out all the time.

I'm definitely gonna check out the Para 3 lightweight too. It basically looks like a smaller Para 2, which is a good thing.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I like my Spydiechef. Corrosion resistant LC200N blade, titanium frame lock, titanium hardware and ceramic detent. I wanted a good rust proof EDC folder designed for food prep and this is pretty much perfect. Awesome slicer and dicer, but can handle all the usual everyday tasks as well.

NbYMzTv.jpg

tJSBTnK.jpg

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I like my Spydiechef. Corrosion resistant LC200N blade, titanium frame lock, titanium hardware and ceramic detent. I wanted a good rust proof EDC folder designed for food prep and this is pretty much perfect. Awesome slicer and dicer, but can handle all the usual everyday tasks as well.

NbYMzTv.jpg

tJSBTnK.jpg

That knife is hot. Had my eye on one for a while. It reminds me of the Spyderco Drunken. Seems totally versatile.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
That knife is hot. Had my eye on one for a while. It reminds me of the Spyderco Drunken. Seems totally versatile.

That Drunken price tag tho. :messenger_face_screaming: That's Sebenza territory and I'm definitely not at that level of knife purchases just yet.

Have you looked into the Kapara? Looking at your knives up top I think it would fit in nicely with your collection.

Nice comparison between the Kapara and Spydiechef:

Last edited:
Top Bottom