• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knives Out trailer - Rian Johnson's murder mystery

near

Gold Member

Synopsis:
Acclaimed writer and director Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, The Last Jedi) pays tribute to mystery mastermind Agatha Christie in KNIVES OUT, a fun, modern-day murder mystery where everyone is a suspect. When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan’s dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan’s untimely death. With an all-star ensemble cast including Chris Evans, Ana De Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford and Jaeden Martell, KNIVES OUT is a witty and stylish whodunit guaranteed to keep audiences guessing until the very end.

Release date: November 17, 2019

been waiting for a new mystery movie.

not fully on board with the dialog, but could also be due to the editing of the trailer.... willing to keep eye on it

near

Gold Member
Every Rian film suffers with bad dialogue and I think he could desperately use a co-writer. But he’s also a good conceptual filmmaker, so it’ll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Fox Mulder

TLJ blows, but I like his older stuff like Brick and Looper. I love whodunnits and this has a great cast. Craig was fun in Logan Lucky away from his stuffy Bond acting.

*Nightwing

and the twist in the end is going to be the murderer is going to be a random person not introduced in any part of the movie before the end to ignore established filmaking storytelling rules to "subvert expectations" cause thats the Rian Johnson way

ZehDon

Gold Member
and the twist in the end is going to be the murderer is going to be a random person not introduced in any part of the movie before the end to ignore established filmaking storytelling rules to "subvert expectations" cause thats the Rian Johnson way
You’re not subverting those expectations hard enough, Nightwing. There is no murderer: detective discovers it was an apparent suicide, all plot threads go nowhere, nothing means anything. Last scene is the reveal that Plummer isn’t dead, whole thing was a ruse to pay back the detective for something the audience is never told about that happened before the movie started. Impossible to see it coming. Nothing in the movie mattered. Final shot: Detective kills himself. Gun shot, cut to black. Written and Directed by Rian Johnson.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

According to Society Reviews, after debuting at Toronto International Film Festival, Rian Johnson's latest outing has garnered a certified fresh 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with critics all over social media heaping praise upon it for having the not-so-courageous audacity to mock Trump supporters and "white entitlement" in a town packed with hardcore members of the anti-Trump #resistance.

"KNIVES OUT is a fun 'f*** you' to rich white Trump voters, wrapped in a crafty Agatha Christie package. VERY pro-immigration. And none of this is subtle. Enjoy it in a crowd," said film critic Tomris Laffly.

"Congrats to [Rian Johnson] for writing the most telenovela of films. KNIVES OUT is a total blast and a total takedown of privilege, gringos, and perceptions through a genre that's very missed," said film critic Yolanda Machado.

"KNIVES OUT is a ton of fun: a slippery, stylised murder mystery, littered with zingers, that also operates as a satire of Trump's America. I also enjoyed the Baby Driver reference," said Nick de Semlyen of Empire Magazine.

"KNIVES OUT is a total delight from start to finish. It's also a scathing indictment of American greed in the Trump era. I'll have more on that when the movie opens in November," said Matt Goldberg of Collider.

"One of many things I love about Knives Out — it takes DIRECT aim at the MAGA crowd," said Brian Tallerico of RogerEbert.com.

"Knives Out" is a whodunnit story of the Agatha Christie-style in which several members of a rich white family seek to uncover the mystery behind their patriarch's death. The film also stars vocal anti-Trump actors Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Michael Shannon among others. David Ehrlich of IndieWire referred to it as a "sharp takedown of white entitlement" and even described one of the characters as a "mini Ben Shapiro."

#Phonepunk#

Banned
briefly considered checking this out, then i realized there are literally millions of places to get whodunnit mystery fix, and without the grating political bullshit upfront.

RJ really seems like a smug asshole who think he is smarter than everyone. that aesthetic just rubs off on everything he does. the idea of paying to watch a bunch of rich white jerks telling me that rich white people are evil, nah thanks

"scathing takedown of privilege" says some nobody who gets paid to sit at home and write about movies for a living.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
"KNIVES OUT is a ton of fun: a slippery, stylised murder mystery, littered with zingers, that also operates as a satire of Trump's America.

TDS hit these people so hard. I was watching the final season of The X-Files last night, and one of the most critically acclaimed writers Darin Morgan penned a new episode about the Mandalla Effect and nostalgia, which it had some really great moments in it, but it's one of his worst scripts for the series I think (he only wrote 4 episodes in the original series but they were all highly acclaimed and fan favourites)

He ends what will likely be his last episode writing for The X-Files with some aliens coming down to earth to tell us that they don't want us outside of our part of the galaxy, reciting the Trump line about Mexicans but applied to earthlings, completely ruined the episode for me.

"KNIVES OUT is a fun 'f*** you' to rich white Trump voters, wrapped in a crafty Agatha Christie package. VERY pro-immigration. And none of this is subtle. Enjoy it in a crowd,"

said film critic rich white Democrat voter Tomris Laffly.

v1.YzsyNzA1O2c7MTgxMzU7MjA0ODsxNTA7MTUw

So this makes it pretty obvious that the same mind virus infecting video game journalism has infected all the other "enthusiast" journalism in general.

🤢🤮

Last edited:

sol_bad

oh feck off with the political bullshit.
Do you see Stuckmann mention ANYTHING about politics? Why the fuck is everyone obcessed with god damn politics.

sol_bad

ESPECIALLY all the reviewers that were quoted in this thread heaping praise on the political message.

Actually read the reviews and the vast majority don't mention politics or very vaguely mention it. The quotes are cherry picked. Agendas and all.

It's so fucking frustrating. There is a god damn politics forum available but every fucking movie/game thread devolves in to political bullshit.
EviLore EviLore I thought the point of the politics thread was so it didn't fester every other thread.
Every god damn movie thread devolves in to a discussion about whether the film is left or right leaning.

Last edited:
The concept was kinda neat, and I liked their attitude towards explaining how time travel works.
I dunno, when that other looper was being dragged through the streets and the body parts were disappearing, I'm PRETTY sure that's not how it would work. Its honestly maybe the only time travel movie that pissed me off. Usually, I'm sold from the get-go but looper made me a little made.

I honestly couldnt take Jgl's face seriously whenever I saw it either. It makes him look like an alien and I dont know why they did it the way they did it but I guess that's not the story's fault. I just wish theyd have casted differently or just not used the prosthetics. I've seen people look LESS like each than willis and levitz in futue-past self time travel renditions and it was ok.
Oh well...

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Was planning on seeing this, was pretty excited for it actually. Shame about those quotes, guess I’ll wait till it’s free.

:(

sol_bad

Was planning on seeing this, was pretty excited for it actually. Shame about those quotes, guess I’ll wait till it’s free.

:(

Or if you like the genre, maybe ignore the comments? There aren't a hell of a lot of murder mystery films made these days. Support it when you and where you can.

sol_bad

User reviews are starting to come in.

Nothing on Metacritic yet but so far also positive.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If only there were an actual Rian Johnson murder mystery.

Edit: Issa Joke. Just for fun. I don’t want the drama that comes with controversial figures like this.

Last edited:

drganon

No interest in seeing this. Any film with a Rian Johnson directing and or writing credit is a hard pass for me.

Reactions: Fuz

sol_bad

God damn, cinema is packed over here. Only 2 front rows are left. Never though Filos would care about this film. Colour me surprised.
lol

Top Bottom