• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Known worldwide sales of all Nintendo published titles during Fiscal Year 2016-2017

Ōkami

C-nSe5-XgAArENU.jpg

When looking at the Nintendo investors site as well as their quarterly report and comparing it to the data released over a year ago this data can be concluded, note that this is just what we get from there, chances are that something like Fire Emblem Fates shipped more units than Wii Sports, we just simply don't know.

1 2 Switch was close to 1 million and Yo-kai Watch was around 800k in Europe, apart from that this is more or less all the data that is available.

This includes bundled sales as well as Nintendo Select titles.

Also little correction, Pokémon ORAS was 1.90m not 190k.

batbeg

What the heck, some of those evergreen title legs are outstanding. Several of the Wii games being on there blows my mind.

Who would buy Brawl when Smash Wii U is effectively a way better version of it? Would it be because people want to play Project M?

It's easy to forget sometimes the sheer legs that a lot of Nintendo titles have. I mean, wow at Luigi's Mansion and WW HD doing near half a million sales. Crazy.

batbeg

Smash 4 has sold almost 11 million copies between the two systems, not bad at all compared to the Wii, which had the benefit of being in the middle of a sales storm.

Some of these numbers are just insane. Even their smaller stuff sells 5-6 million, and their big stuff still sells 200k nearly 10 years later. Insanity.

Who would buy Brawl when Smash Wii U is effectively a way better version of it? Would it be because people want to play Project M?

The Wii is cheap, lots of people still have theirs, or are just more interested in that than the Wii U. This is anecdotal but I was in a Fry's once and I saw an old couple looking at a Wii U and a Wii Mini, asking the clerk about it, and then later going through the checkout with the Wii Mini. I can guarantee there are thousands more stories like that regarding the two systems.

Where is Twilight Princess HD?

I don't know i the NA sales of it were ever made public, but I'm sure it's somewhere around a million, maybe just below.

Any word on how Wooly World is doing?

Based on this thread, on Wii U it broke a million.

Bentendo

Holy CRAP at Splatoon's numbers. Would not have guessed in a million years it was almost at 5 million. I would have guessed a little over a million TOPS.

Splatoon being only half a million or so sales behind Mario 3d World after giving that game an 18 month head start is pretty amazing too.

My friends had been drinking all night and suddenly had the urge to play Smash, Me and another Friend drove (we didn't drink) to 3 different targets and bought a copy of Brawl.

Drunken Smash borthers was pretty fun, although I don't drink and still got owned to wasted friends lol.

Smash 4 has sold almost 11 million copies between the two systems, not bad at all compared to the Wii, which had the benefit of being in the middle of a sales storm.
Its actually almost 14 million.

And people wonder why Nintendo are reluctant to discount their software.

Seriously, anytime anybody starts rolling out the old Nintendo tax and overpriced games bullshit, someone should literally just paste this table as a response. It's basically irrefutable evidence that their policies are completely justifiable in light of the longevity of their sales.

Madao

how come Twilight Princess HD isn't there?

also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes complete sense to exist since it's the most powerful IP they have after Pokemon. not even the legendary 2D Mario pulls the numbers MK does on any console or handheld.

seriously, Mario Kart is magical. when was the last time a spinoff overtook the main series at such high levels of sales?

Its actually almost 14 million.

Combining the Wii U and 3DS versions, SSB4 is now actually the best-selling game in the series. I think this is new information.

64: 5.55 million
Melee: 7.41 million
Brawl: 13.21 million
3DS: 8.72 million
Wii U: 5.20 million
Wii U + 3DS: 13.92 million

With the Wii U being discontinued, SSB for Wii U is probably going to settle as the lowest-selling individual release unless 350k Wii U owners who haven't bought it yet run out and grab it.

Madao

notice how most of the Wii U games that had a prequel on 3DS sold about half of what their 3DS prequels did.

now, imagine what Splatoon could have done on a system that was popular.

it wouldn't surprise me if Splatoon 2 beats Zelda BotW to the 10 million mark.

in fact, i'm calling it now. one year after Splatoon 2 releases, it will be at 10 million WW sales.

mdubs

Banned
This is why there's no incentive for Nintendo to discount their older titles, still selling like hotcakes years after the fact

Holy CRAP at Splatoon's numbers. Would not have guessed in a million years it was almost at 5 million. I would have guessed a little over a million TOPS.

Splatoon is a new core franchise for Nintendo, its huge. Its going to explode now that its on a financially viable platform.

Jackano

Predicting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales will be interesting.
It's a port and we don't know what will be the status of MK9. Otherwise, that would be another giant legs monster.

Parshias7

I knew that Splatoon was a success, but I thought it was like a 2 or 3 million success. Nearly 5 million units? Damn, kid squid.

dalai-lama-laugh.gif

Wii Sports Resort sold 33m copies?! Now I'm curious what the top selling peripherals for consoles are. No wonder Nintendo was confident enough to make a flagship series (Zelda) require the wiimotion+

Splatoon sold like 1 and 1/2 Million in Japan alone.

Most popular new IP in Japan (outside of the Wii Sports series) a long time. Since the PS1 era and Gran Turismo, maybe?

Kusagari

The fact Splatoon took off on what was effectively a dead system says enough about its potential.

I expect 2 to EXPLODE on the Switch.

requiem02

Banned
This just goes to show what a bad job Nintendo did at convincing people to upgrade to the Wii U. Always wondered why my local game stores still carried so many Wii games - now I know.

Top Bottom