• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo and Gust announce Fairy Tail RPG for PS4, Switch, and PC

Mista

Banned

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust have announced Fairy Tail, a new RPG based on the manga series by Hiro Mashima. It will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in 2020.

Here is an overview of the game, via Koei Tecmo:
Demons, dark wizards, dragons, and cats—players will find it all as they start your journey in the land of Fiore. In Fairy Tail, wizards play through the adventures of Natsu Dragneel and Lucy Heartfilia, as well as other eccentric members of the Fairy Tail mage guild, on a fun-filled and thrilling quest. Gust Studios is creating the game under the supervision of author Hiro Mashima, promising a faithful recreation for the Fairy Tail world and its unusual inhabitants; including everything from magic to its iconic characters.

More information will be announced at the “Fairy Tail Special Stage” at Tokyo Game Show 2019 on September 15 from 13:00 to 13:30.
Gematsu

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Interesting, I wonder how much of the story will be told in this game, Fairy Tail is really slow paced compared to other Shonen manga.

Since it's being made by Gust I'm assuming it will be Turn Based.

Wunray

Interesting, I wonder how much of the story will be told in this game, Fairy Tail is really slow paced compared to other Shonen manga.

No its not. FT blitzes through all of it's story beats every arc, villains hardly ever get any propper set up. Major plot points get left hanging and its also pretty garbage when it comes to the power of friendship.......but I am biased since I hate that shit.

Pejo

I would have been a lot more excited about this if it weren't for the recent final season of the anime. They absolutely ruined the pacing for the show, now it's got DBZ syndrome where everyone stands around thinking out loud for 2/3 of an episode, throws one really strong punch, and then ends on a cliffhanger. I'm really disappointed, wish they'd have just done a 24 episode run and end it.

KàIRóS

No its not. FT blitzes through all of it's story beats every arc, villains hardly ever get any propper set up. Major plot points get left hanging and its also pretty garbage when it comes to the power of friendship.......but I am biased since I hate that shit.

The first arcs are fast paced but once you get past the first 100 chapters or so it gets slower and slower for my liking (I'm talking about the manga btw)

It's not just obscure games. Huge games such as Dragon Quest and Persona never go to Xbox either.

That's not wholly true. There are quite a few high profile JRPGs and Japanese action games that have been brought over to the XBox--Neir: Automata and Vaklyrie Profile come to mind.

But yes, this must get better next gen. I'd much rather be playing these games on my XBO:X, and the PC ports of a lot of these Japanese titles tend to be poorly supported and rife with bugs/defects.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That's not wholly true. There are quite a few high profile JRPGs and Japanese action games that have been brought over to the XBox--Neir: Automata and Vaklyrie Profile come to mind.

But yes, this must get better next gen. I'd much rather be playing these games on my XBO:X, and the PC ports of a lot of these Japanese titles tend to be poorly supported and rife with bugs/defects.

True, I wasn't saying "all", but quite a few. Disgaea series, Atelier and most Tales games.

We will see what next gen brings.

Three

True, I wasn't saying "all", but quite a few. Disgaea series, Atelier and most Tales games.

We will see what next gen brings.
Nothing. If they are not encouraged to support the xbox with a 40Million+ install base a less than 2 Million early next gen install base will literally change nothing.

FStubbs

Not necessarily. Nights of Azure was an action RPG.

Xbox misses out again on these obscure japanese anime games. Shit better improve next gen.
Don't know if you also noticed... Earth Defence Force is also missing this gen on the X1 while it present on the 360 era. I agree, they need to get their shit together next gen but hey at least PSO2 is releasing on the X1 lol.

SNG32

Don't know if you also noticed... Earth Defence Force is also missing this gen on the X1 while it present on the 360 era. I agree, they need to get their shit together next gen but hey at least PSO2 is releasing on the X1 lol.

I'll admit Localizing PSO2 is kind of big deal wish it was excuted earlier by them.

Not even port begging. I have a PS4, Switch and PC to play this. I'm just saying japanese there missing alot of titles this gen. If they want to remain competitive especially they need to step it up in the area.
Why should they when they can't sell Xbox hardware and software down there besides the odd Final Fantasy releases?

SNG32

Why should they when they can't sell Xbox hardware and software down there besides the odd Final Fantasy releases?

People still play japanese games around the world and not just in Japan. Plus japanese games adds to there portfolio worldwide. If this continues they will always be in third place.

Elenchus

Banned
I didn't say not on Switch. I said not on Xbox.

I know. My point is that with Switch missing huge releases like MHW, Sekiro, RE2, Nier, etc it seems odd to go after MS for a lack of Japanese games.

No one cares about these niche titles and I would argue that a Japanese game fan would have a better experience on Xbox than they would on Switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know. My point is that with Switch missing huge releases like MHW, Sekiro, RE2, Nier, etc it seems odd to go after MS for a lack of Japanese games.

No one cares about these niche titles and I would argue that a Japanese game fan would have a better experience on Xbox than they would on Switch.
Switch might some of the Japanese games that comes out on PS4 but Switch gets its own exclusive Japanese games that neither PS4 and Xbox gets. Its why I own both Switch and PS4, it’s a perfect combo for someone like me like who like Japanese games. My issue with Xbox is not only it doesn’t get some of Japanese games that also comes on PC like DQXI but also it no longer gets its own exclusive Japanese games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is literally an Atelier game reskin. Holy shit.

Elenchus

Banned
Switch might some of the Japanese games that comes out on PS4 but Switch gets its own exclusive Japanese games that neither PS4 and Xbox gets. Its why I own both Switch and PS4, it’s a perfect combo for someone like me like who like Japanese games. My issue with Xbox is not only it doesn’t get some of Japanese games that also comes on PC like DQXI but also it no longer gets its own exclusive Japanese games.

Problem is it feels like people are applying two different standards. Any criticism against MS for not getting smaller Japanese games rings hollow unless coupled with the same criticism against Switch for missing major Japanese games. Also don’t understand why you believe MS needs Japanese exclusives. Seems to me getting the major releases is sufficient.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Problem is it feels like people are applying two different standards. Any criticism against MS for not getting smaller Japanese games rings hollow unless coupled with the same criticism against Switch for missing major Japanese games. Also don’t understand why you believe MS needs Japanese exclusives. Seems to me getting the major releases is sufficient.
Here is the thing I wouldn't recommend Xbox to someone who is fan of Japanese games, currently Xbox is getting Japanese games that PS4 is already getting and while Switch doesn't get some of them, still get good amount of exclusive Japanese games.

Elenchus

Banned
Here is the thing I wouldn't recommend Xbox to someone who is fan of Japanese games, currently Xbox is getting Japanese games that PS4 is already getting and while Switch doesn't get some of them, still get good amount of exclusive Japanese games.

That’s fine. MS is not a Japanese company and has no chance of securing more Japanese content than Sony or Nintendo. That’s a built in advantage for Sony and Nintendo and MS just needs to get the major releases and move on. Would be foolish to spend a great deal of time and money on that one aspect. I think the Japanese support MS has now is fine. They were never going to win folks like you anyway so why bother. It’s a western console.

Xbox misses out again on these obscure japanese anime games. Shit better improve next gen.

I don’t think anything will change much next generation. That’s because most of the Xbox demographic just aren’t into these types of games and Microsoft and the developers know it.

Pallas

Gold Member

You mean Valkyria Chronicles/Revolution?

Last edited:
Top Bottom