• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo FY2014/15 Annual Report by ZhugeEX

Game Guru

Koei Tecmo seems to be one of the more active bigger name Japanese publishers on consoles nowadays, but that just means that they will reap the benefits of the PS4's success. I'm also glad Hyrule Warriors was such a success for them. Certainly looks like a great game, which has made me reconsider my stand on the Warriors series in general.

Takao

Banned
Bit of a weird assumption. Don't see it personally.

I don't think it's a weird assumption. There's not going to be a third PlayStation handheld, Sony pretends the one they currently have doesn't exist (even in Japan), and the PS4 version of Toukiden seems to have been a waste of time. While Toukiden was created to fill a hole left by Capcom, it's probably too important for Koei Tecmo to let die. The hand they've been dealt with indicates a platform move.

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess is coming to PS4, PS3 and PS Vita this July 17, 2015 across Europe and July 14th, 2015 in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TZseFnl3Y&feature=youtu.be

No word on sales in Japan.

It sold poorly. IIRC only the Vita version charted, and it did like 10k.

Bladestorm: Nightmare seems to have flopped. It launched globally within this fiscal report and there's 0 mention of it.

Fantastic work with this thread, really interesting stuff!

nothing about Ar nosurge's WW sales sadly

Bummer. It bombed in Japan though, so doesn't surprise me to see it bomb overseas too.

I seem to remember TKE's twitter saying we would get the Vita version if the PS3 version sold well... so much for that.

Toukiden Kiwami has been a hit in Japan and Asia with cumulative sales of over 200,000 units in the two regions across PSV/PSP. Overseas sales have been in line with expectations.

Glad to see this one hit expectations overseas. Though, do you have a source for this figure:

Last update for the west was 80,000 units on PS Vita.

First I've heard of it.

However, whilst it looks like Koei Tecmo are now only known for collaboration titles, Erikawa stated that this fiscal year (2015/16) has a slogan of “IP Creation and Expansion”. Erikawa explained that IP Creation and Expansion is the creating of brand new titles for multiple platforms as well as expanding traditional Koei games to multiple platforms as well.

I'm glad to hear this too. I'm very pleased to see them having success expanding out into assisting with other games (Dragon Quest Heroes is superb to see; and Team Ninja working on Dissidia is fantastic too) but I am a fan of the original IP's they create; and the back-catalogue of TK stuff they have too. Seeing Deception revived was just fantastic - more of that please!

The hardware platforms announced for upcoming titles are PS4, PS3, PS Vita, WiiU, 3DS, Xbox One and other new platforms. The software platforms announced for upcoming titles are DeNA, GREE, dGAME, Mobage, as well as Android, iOS and traditional internet browsers. The internal platform announced is myGAMECITY which has over 700,000 users and 26 titles.

Interesting selection of platforms there. Of upcoming games we know about - PS4/PS3/Vita is Dragon Quest Heroes 2 & 3DS is Atelier Rorona Plus. I assume PS4/PS3/XB1 is going to be every other upcoming musou game and anything that happens with a new Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, but what could the WiiU title be? Hmm...

(I'm also guessing Vita is on there because it'll have Atelier Shallie Plus, but I'm hoping they bring some more stuff too!)

Koei Tecmo are a great company. Hyrule Warriors is great. Can't wait for Dragon Quest Heroes. I had a beautiful time playing Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll last year when they released it on PSN.

Their real jewel for me at the moment is Toukiden Kiwami. I'm hopelessly addicted to it, along with the girlfriend. Ended up buying both Vita and PS4 version so we can play multiplayer and on the move. Works great with the Dualshock 4 on PSTV too.

It's so fun to play. I'll conceed that Monster Hunter is the better game, but I just enjoy playing Toukiden so much more.

We did have a DLC issue where the cross save didn't work because of the wrong PSN account owning the DLC on the PS4, and thus it not working on Vita. Tweets Koei's support, and they sent us a free code to get it up and running. That's the sign of a great company - great customer support.

More Toukiden westwards please!!

God damn, I'm still waiting for Ar nosurge plus... maybe I shouldn't.

To be fair, I might be mis-remembering. It released in October in Japan and it took them ~ 10 months to bring Atelier Ayesha Plus across, so there's a bit of time left yet.

(I'm waiting for the Vita version too. I own the PS3 version, played a few hours, and decided that - like Atelier - I prefer playing games like this on handhelds).

ZhugeEX

Banned
Bladestorm: Nightmare seems to have flopped. It launched globally within this fiscal report and there's 0 mention of it.

It was never set to do well. In Japan it flopped badly and overseas the reviews didn't exactly help it.

Whilst I love that Koei looked to reboot old IP's such as Bladestorm and Deception I think they're pretty much done with that now.

Fantastic work with this thread, really interesting stuff!

Glad to see this one hit expectations overseas. Though, do you have a source for this figure:

First I've heard of it.

200,000 units sold in Japan and Asia as of September 30th 2014 according to Koei Tecmo's half year results.

Original Toukiden sold 470,000 in Japan and Asia according half year results and then full year results (last year) stated it had sold 550,000 worldwide. So difference of 80k.

I'm glad to hear this too. I'm very pleased to see them having success expanding out into assisting with other games (Dragon Quest Heroes is superb to see; and Team Ninja working on Dissidia is fantastic too) but I am a fan of the original IP's they create; and the back-catalogue of TK stuff they have too. Seeing Deception revived was just fantastic - more of that please!

Yeh I like this direction too. Still get the awesome collabs but also focus on new IP and existing IP is good :) Hopefully true sequels and new titles is what we'll see.

Interesting selection of platforms there. Of upcoming games we know about - PS4/PS3/Vita is Dragon Quest Heroes 2 & 3DS is Atelier Rorona Plus. I assume PS4/PS3/XB1 is going to be every other upcoming musou game and anything that happens with a new Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, but what could the WiiU title be? Hmm...

Wii U most likely is just a niche title or just a port, or maybe they were talking about Fatal Frame.

But what is interesting is Koei's focus on multiplatform for every title and smartphone titles. Also Project Morpheus being mentioned in the briefing was interesting.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Any rumors for a atelier title on Steam ZhugeEX after the recent success of JRPG´s on Steam ?

Not that I'm aware.

Sorry.

There is a smartphone title out in Japan (Atelier quest board) but I don't know if it'll be localised. Probably not.

Takao

Banned
It was never set to do well. In Japan it flopped badly and overseas the reviews didn't exactly help it.

Whilst I love that Koei looked to reboot old IP's such as Bladestorm and Deception I think they're pretty much done with that now.

but we haven't gotten augmented reality monster rancher on vita yet

(I'm also guessing Vita is on there because it'll have Atelier Shallie Plus, but I'm hoping they bring some more stuff too!)

Vita will have more Musou multi-plats and otome games.

Oregano

I don't think it's a weird assumption. There's not going to be a third PlayStation handheld, Sony pretends the one they currently have doesn't exist (even in Japan), and the PS4 version of Toukiden seems to have been a waste of time. While Toukiden was created to fill a hole left by Capcom, it's probably too important for Koei Tecmo to let die. The hand they've been dealt with indicates a platform move.

Toukiden 2 could still just be a Vita game considering it's still doing well enough for them(in the west too) or it could even be a mobile game.That's if they don't try to forge ahead on PS4 considering the PS4 Musous weren't doing so hot either.

OuterLimits

Great job OP.

I really miss the old Koei, although I certainly enjoy some of their newer games like Hyrule Warriors and Atelier.

However, nothing beats the old classics like Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, PTO, Dynasty Tactics, Genghis Khan, Uncharted Waters, and even Liberty or Death. I grew up as a teenager playing those games. My friends were often asking me "why I played those shitty looking games with a bunch of numbers". :)

Hopefully the West eventually gets a strategy game from Koei again one day.

Glad to see they are doing well though.

eMpTy23

I've always had a lot of interest in KT games, but I haven't owned a console since the PS2 era. I hope Steam continues to be supported by them.

It's good to hear they're doing well as a company.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Interview with Hisashi Koinuma

Koinuma has recently been promoted from Vice President to COO within Koei. He started out in the company as a programmer and has worked on numerous titles and game series, he is most well known as the creator and producer of the Samurai Warriors series. This interview looks at the FY2014/15 results and discusses Koinuma's role in the future as well as Koei's plans for 2015/2016.

Famitsu: First you were promoted to vice president in April 2013, this month you've become COO?
Koinuma: Yes, When I look back now it almost seems as if the vice president promotion was to prepare me for this role. Whilst I still focus a lot on development of games like I used to, I can certainly tell that Mr Erikawa (CEO) has started giving me more authority within the company which has now led me into entering the COO position.

Famitsu: So from that first promotion, was it known that you'd get a second promotion to COO?
Koinuma: No, that wasn't concrete. But there was predictions that I would be promoted higher within the company. The reason for this is because Erikawa and I shared the same vision for the company, he started giving me more authority little by little as if he's trying to say that "I'm leaving it to you". For example, since I became VP In 2013 I was given an extra role to approve the Alpha and Beta development versions of all our company games. And now with my new role I'm given more authority and am taking time to inherit Erikawa (CEO's) tasks.

Famitsu: Koei Tecmo is considered a veteran in the game industry and has a very long and excellent history. Do you feel pressure and heavy responsibility by becoming COO and later perhaps CEO of such a company?
Koinuma: Until now I've mostly focused on creating and developing games as a game creater first. The company has of course grown to be much larger compared to when I joined the organisation and so now, of course, i feel that the responsibility is on me for my staff and their families. I'm still looking to have the responsibility to create games that customers will enjoy though. However, because I'm the COO of a veteran game developer I feel the more responsibilty and pressure comes from continuing to create games that customers will enjoy. I guess in that case I don't feel pressure like a normal company head who's pressure comes from staff, mine still comes from the game creation side. (laughs)

Famitsu: (Laugh) We also thing you have a stronger image as a game creator. Will you be changing to a more business focused role?
Koinuma: Since I've become COO the work I do will surely be at a higher level and more managerial tasks. However I remember that Mr. Hamamura (Director of Kadokawa-Dwango, used to be Famitsu's chief editor) once told me "Even after you become a great person, please never stop making games". So even if my managerial tasks get to a high level of proportions, I'd still like to be directly involved in game development. I've always worked in game development within Koei and so by continuing in game development I'd be glad if it can propel the company forward.

Famitsu: As a fan of games and your games that's a very pleasant thing to hear.
Koinuma: Thank You, I do feel like my power in game creation has dropped since I've become VP (Laughs). Depending on the circumstances these days it may be that I'm unable to focus on game development have to focus more on management and that can leave me feeling lonely. I plan to focus on both management and game development and dividing time between them. I hope this is something I'm able to balance in the future, I'm still new as COO so am still learning, hopefully I can do both easily.

Famitsu:
Promotions of other game creators like Mr. Kenichi Ogasawara (Toukiden's team leader) and Mr. Yosuke Hayashi (Team Ninja) are also astounding.
Koinuma: Our company has a tradition of promoting within and this is something we are seeing more of. If we don't move to a new management structure then we won't be able to catch up with the game industry that is rapidly changing. Ogasawara has succeeded with Warriors games, Toukiden and Dragon Quest Heroes. Hayashi with his Team Ninja, other than DOA, were also involved in making Hyrule Warriors and Dissidia FF Arcade. We'd also like to place young leaders in Gust's dev team, so we appointed Keisuke Kikuchi there. We think these are proper promotions, so I look forward to them. Koei & Tecmo signed a merger contract in 2008, and in 2010 it became Koei-Tecmo, but after the merger there was a time where our business grew bad. But after Erikawa (Kou Shibusawa) returned as company head, there was an impression of raising both company and human resources well. I had a conversation with Erikawa that "We can grow better by putting IPs at center of management". With that direction, our whole company could grow these 4-5 years. But in order to advance even further from now, our generation also needs to do their best.

Famitsu: I seem to get the impression from Koinuma-san that trustable people are gathering around you?
Koinuma: It doesn't mean that, but indeed I want to see people who can work hard get promoted.

Collaboration titles:

Famitsu: Tell us about the titles you released in 2014.
Koinuma: There were some titles getting delayed, and some others bothered fans, but we created many titles firmly for this whole year, be they brand-new, collaboration or from existing series. Especially Hyrule Warriors & Dragon Quest Heroes contributed very largely; they were really favored beyond expectations. So I need to do something this year as my first year becoming head of company, I don't want to let it become a minus growth (laughs)

Famitsu: Hyrule Warriors' overseas popularity is really beyond expectations.
Koinuma: Yes. It keeps selling until now including its DLCs.

Famitsu: And Dragon Quest Heroes is really getting strong.
Koinuma: Thank you. DQ Heroes is being expanded in Asia and overseas shortly. It gets attention because it's an action game, so I look forward to how it goes through.

Koei-Tecmo's strategy for 2015:

Famitsu: Please tell us the plans for 2015
Koinuma: You'll be pleased to know that we plan to focus on game software even more this year, we will still firmly continue to create games such as new IP and expansion on our existing IP. There is still the need for collaboration games so we are still making them. Recently we've released and announced a lot of collaboration titles so some people may think we are just an outsourcing developer haha, I want to assure that we have our on IP and will be making brand new IP. We are also planning more social and mobile games, look forward to announcements for all this.

Famitsu: Yes, there are lots of collaboration titles recently announced please tell us more-

-On Yokai Sangokushi, collaboration between Yokai Watch & ROTK-
ROTK series is having its 30th anniversary in 2015, so the whole company are excited on it. To end the anniversary year, I think Yokai Sangokushi would be suitable for that. But what's most pleasant is that Level-5's head Mr. Akihiro Hino also likes ROTK.
Yokai Sangokushi's image power is strong indeed (laughs), but it doesn't mean we'll be creating a full-blown historical simulation game here, instead we'll put in one of ROTK's interesting factors of "Three-sided battle" that would be enjoyable by Yokai Watch fans too.
As for game contents, it's still being decided from here, but this should be an entry-level game to ROTK games.

-On Dissidia FF Arcade-
Team Ninja has experience of making arcade games, so I think this is a very interesting collaboration.

-On Dragon Quest Heroes II-
Square Enix ask us to make DQH2, which means they think it has really good contents, and I'm relieved for that. Since it's a collaboration, we need to have negotiations with the other party from long ago. But we also just had the chance to make the announcement. As a result, there's like a commotion in our company (laughs)

Famitsu: I thought you were aiming for that. (laughs) [snip] Anyway I feel like the collaboration gets through if both sides have an equal basis.
Koinuma: We're like "Let's do it" if we can stir it up together with the other party. If there isn't interest from the other party then there's no meaning in doing the collab. Thankfully with DQ they were more than happy to collaborated on a second title. And it's not just being a collaboration, we also need to properly expand our IPs (musou) [through these collabs]. That's where I want to have a balance.

Famitsu: The series of flow starts from Gundam Warriors where Koinuma-san became the core of all this, and from hereafter you'd still like to focus on this.
Koinuma: Ah right. From hereafter we plan to not only make games, but also actively expanding to cross-media with anime, light novel, movies and more. If we don't firmly expand to such media, nobody will look at us. Rather than a simple collaboration game, we need to make it a complex collaboration expansion. With this way, industries we didn't had connections before started to contact us, and I think that would further increase the branches of collab contents.

Famitsu: DQ Heroes was also able to boost PS4 sales, so that was quite the ideal collaboration rarely seen before. I'm looking forward to what kind of collab might be next (laughs)
Koinuma: When we're expanding collaborations, we need to see 2-3 years forward to that. Things that we can make collaborations of are everywhere. We're finding contents that are currently trending and popular in the world, and make them fun.

Famitsu: I see. And of course brand-new IPs are being expanded too right.
Koinuma: That's right. This period there are titles that haven't been announced yet, both from our own company and collabs, so please look forward to them.

-About IP Project Promotion Department-
As a connoisseur to collaboration offers, the company set up a new "IP Project Promotion Department" as an environment to handle this organizationally. They become a contact window for other companies offering collabs, and manages the whole collab projects. Offers can come from publishing companies, game companies, and copyright holders.

This department is perhaps the biggest centerpiece of our organizational change. After all what made our company grown these last 5 years are collaboration products. So we're clearly continuing to do that.

However I also want to show existence of our own brand-new IPs and social games. On the process of how a new IP is made, first we have a Marketing Meeting where we put budget on titles. Since we have many development producers as department heads, the usual process of having producers report to department heads can save much more time. Ultimately it's even more convenient if the president knows about development too (laughs).

If you understand both technology and management, the management efficiency gets better. That's why we've been promoting game creators because we want them to understand managerial sense too other than just creating games. In collaborations too, a lot of people are involved, and if we don't have a sense to make all of them happy it will be difficult. That's why only creators who have such sense may take charge of those positions.

Famitsu: I see. I understand very well. So now please tell us Koinuma-san's vision of Koei-Tecmo in the future.
Koinuma: I'd like this company to continue adding new contents to both console and social games. In that meaning, we also continue collaborating. We include new IPs, involve various kinds of people, and I'd like to always provide interesting things.

Famitsu: KT recently is full of surprises. Collab titles are of course, but you're also aggresively challenging it with your other [in-company] titles, so I feel like it's connecting to that.
Koinuma: I can't betray my inner circle (laughs), but like Yokai Sangokushi, we've prepared a top secret titles and collabs that even most people in the company don't know yet and will be surprised when we announce it. Please look forward to those surprises.

Shengar

That Toukiden Kiwami split means that those number only talk about the original Japanese release then? It strange they don't mention PS4 among the released platform which lead me to think that the number must be even higher if it includes english release. Do take note KT that releasing it just 3 days after PS4 exclusive big release wouldn't help the game in tiniest bit. Kiwami is such great game, definitely a right direction of the serues despite some lingering problem remain from the vanilla version. It deserve better numbers.

Also, can you give us RotKX with PUK on PC please? Pls KT

ZhugeEX

Banned
That Toukiden Kiwami split means that those number only talk about the original Japanese release then? It strange they don't mention PS4 among the released platform which lead me to think that the number must be even higher if it includes english release. Do take note KT that releasing it just 3 days after PS4 exclusive big release wouldn't help the game in tiniest bit. Kiwami is such great game, definitely a right direction of the serues despite some lingering problem remain from the vanilla version. It deserve better numbers.

Also, can you give us RotKX with PUK on PC please? Pls KT

Yes. The 200k number was released by Koei before the overseas release and only accounts for copies sold in Japan and Asia across PSV/PSP.

The original title sold 550k worldwide with 470k in Asia and 80k in the west.

ShinMaruku

Koinuma has recently been promoted from Vice President to COO within Koei. He started out in the company as a programmer and has worked on numerous titles and game series, he is most well known as the creator and producer of the Samurai Warriors series. This interview looks at the FY2014/15 results and discusses Koinuma's role in the future as well as Koei's plans for 2015/2016.

Famitsu: First you were promoted to vice president in April 2013, this month you've become COO?
Koinuma: Yes, When I look back now it almost seems as if the vice president promotion was to prepare me for this role. Whilst I still focus a lot on development of games like I used to, I can certainly tell that Mr Erikawa (CEO) has started giving me more authority within the company which has now led me into entering the COO position.

Famitsu: So from that first promotion, was it known that you'd get a second promotion to COO?
Koinuma: No, that wasn't concrete. But there was predictions that I would be promoted higher within the company. The reason for this is because Erikawa and I shared the same vision for the company, he started giving me more authority little by little as if he's trying to say that "I'm leaving it to you". For example, since I became VP In 2013 I was given an extra role to approve the Alpha and Beta development versions of all our company games. And now with my new role I'm given more authority and am taking time to inherit Erikawa (CEO's) tasks.

Famitsu: Koei Tecmo is considered a veteran in the game industry and has a very long and excellent history. Do you feel pressure and heavy responsibility by becoming COO and later perhaps CEO of such a company?
Koinuma: Until now I've mostly focused on creating and developing games as a game creater first. The company has of course grown to be much larger compared to when I joined the organisation and so now, of course, i feel that the responsibility is on me for my staff and their families. I'm still looking to have the responsibility to create games that customers will enjoy though. However, because I'm the COO of a veteran game developer I feel the more responsibilty and pressure comes from continuing to create games that customers will enjoy. I guess in that case I don't feel pressure like a normal company head who's pressure comes from staff, mine still comes from the game creation side. (laughs)

Famitsu: (Laugh) We also thing you have a stronger image as a game creator. Will you be changing to a more business focused role?
Koinuma: Since I've become COO the work I do will surely be at a higher level and more managerial tasks. However I remember that Mr. Hamamura (Director of Kadokawa-Dwango, used to be Famitsu's chief editor) once told me "Even after you become a great person, please never stop making games". So even if my managerial tasks get to a high level of proportions, I'd still like to be directly involved in game development. I've always worked in game development within Koei and so by continuing in game development I'd be glad if it can propel the company forward.

Famitsu: As a fan of games and your games that's a very pleasant thing to hear.
Koinuma: Thank You, I do feel like my power in game creation has dropped since I've become VP (Laughs). Depending on the circumstances these days it may be that I'm unable to focus on game development have to focus more on management and that can leave me feeling lonely. I plan to focus on both management and game development and dividing time between them. I hope this is something I'm able to balance in the future, I'm still new as COO so am still learning, hopefully I can do both easily.

Famitsu:
Promotions of other game creators like Mr. Kenichi Ogasawara (Toukiden's team leader) and Mr. Yosuke Hayashi (Team Ninja) are also astounding.
Koinuma: Our company has a tradition of promoting within and this is something we are seeing more of. If we don't move to a new management structure then we won't be able to catch up with the game industry that is rapidly changing. Ogasawara has succeeded with Warriors games, Toukiden and Dragon Quest Heroes. Hayashi with his Team Ninja, other than DOA, were also involved in making Hyrule Warriors and Dissidia FF Arcade. We'd also like to place young leaders in Gust's dev team, so we appointed Keisuke Kikuchi there. We think these are proper promotions, so I look forward to them. Koei & Tecmo signed a merger contract in 2008, and in 2010 it became Koei-Tecmo, but after the merger there was a time where our business grew bad. But after Erikawa (Kou Shibusawa) returned as company head, there was an impression of raising both company and human resources well. I had a conversation with Erikawa that "We can grow better by putting IPs at center of management". With that direction, our whole company could grow these 4-5 years. But in order to advance even further from now, our generation also needs to do their best.

Famitsu: I seem to get the impression from Koinuma-san that trustable people are gathering around you?
Koinuma: It doesn't mean that, but indeed I want to see people who can work hard get promoted.

Collaboration titles:

Famitsu: Tell us about the titles you released in 2014.
Koinuma: There were some titles getting delayed, and some others bothered fans, but we created many titles firmly for this whole year, be they brand-new, collaboration or from existing series. Especially Hyrule Warriors & Dragon Quest Heroes contributed very largely; they were really favored beyond expectations. So I need to do something this year as my first year becoming head of company, I don't want to let it become a minus growth (laughs)

Famitsu: Hyrule Warriors' overseas popularity is really beyond expectations.
Koinuma: Yes. It keeps selling until now including its DLCs.

Famitsu: And Dragon Quest Heroes is really getting strong.
Koinuma: Thank you. DQ Heroes is being expanded in Asia and overseas shortly. It gets attention because it's an action game, so I look forward to how it goes through.

Koei-Tecmo's strategy for 2015:

Famitsu: Please tell us the plans for 2015
Koinuma: You'll be pleased to know that we plan to focus on game software even more this year, we will still firmly continue to create games such as new IP and expansion on our existing IP. There is still the need for collaboration games so we are still making them. Recently we've released and announced a lot of collaboration titles so some people may think we are just an outsourcing developer haha, I want to assure that we have our on IP and will be making brand new IP. We are also planning more social and mobile games, look forward to announcements for all this.

Famitsu: Yes, there are lots of collaboration titles recently announced please tell us more-

-On Yokai Sangokushi, collaboration between Yokai Watch & ROTK-
ROTK series is having its 30th anniversary in 2015, so the whole company are excited on it. To end the anniversary year, I think Yokai Sangokushi would be suitable for that. But what's most pleasant is that Level-5's head Mr. Akihiro Hino also likes ROTK.
Yokai Sangokushi's image power is strong indeed (laughs), but it doesn't mean we'll be creating a full-blown historical simulation game here, instead we'll put in one of ROTK's interesting factors of "Three-sided battle" that would be enjoyable by Yokai Watch fans too.
As for game contents, it's still being decided from here, but this should be an entry-level game to ROTK games.

-On Dissidia FF Arcade-
Team Ninja has experience of making arcade games, so I think this is a very interesting collaboration.

-On Dragon Quest Heroes II-
Square Enix ask us to make DQH2, which means they think it has really good contents, and I'm relieved for that. Since it's a collaboration, we need to have negotiations with the other party from long ago. But we also just had the chance to make the announcement. As a result, there's like a commotion in our company (laughs)

Famitsu: I thought you were aiming for that. (laughs) [snip] Anyway I feel like the collaboration gets through if both sides have an equal basis.
Koinuma: We're like "Let's do it" if we can stir it up together with the other party. If there isn't interest from the other party then there's no meaning in doing the collab. Thankfully with DQ they were more than happy to collaborated on a second title. And it's not just being a collaboration, we also need to properly expand our IPs (musou) [through these collabs]. That's where I want to have a balance.

Famitsu: The series of flow starts from Gundam Warriors where Koinuma-san became the core of all this, and from hereafter you'd still like to focus on this.
Koinuma: Ah right. From hereafter we plan to not only make games, but also actively expanding to cross-media with anime, light novel, movies and more. If we don't firmly expand to such media, nobody will look at us. Rather than a simple collaboration game, we need to make it a complex collaboration expansion. With this way, industries we didn't had connections before started to contact us, and I think that would further increase the branches of collab contents.

Famitsu: DQ Heroes was also able to boost PS4 sales, so that was quite the ideal collaboration rarely seen before. I'm looking forward to what kind of collab might be next (laughs)
Koinuma: When we're expanding collaborations, we need to see 2-3 years forward to that. Things that we can make collaborations of are everywhere. We're finding contents that are currently trending and popular in the world, and make them fun.

Famitsu: I see. And of course brand-new IPs are being expanded too right.
Koinuma: That's right. This period there are titles that haven't been announced yet, both from our own company and collabs, so please look forward to them.

-About IP Project Promotion Department-
As a connoisseur to collaboration offers, the company set up a new "IP Project Promotion Department" as an environment to handle this organizationally. They become a contact window for other companies offering collabs, and manages the whole collab projects. Offers can come from publishing companies, game companies, and copyright holders.

This department is perhaps the biggest centerpiece of our organizational change. After all what made our company grown these last 5 years are collaboration products. So we're clearly continuing to do that.

However I also want to show existence of our own brand-new IPs and social games. On the process of how a new IP is made, first we have a Marketing Meeting where we put budget on titles. Since we have many development producers as department heads, the usual process of having producers report to department heads can save much more time. Ultimately it's even more convenient if the president knows about development too (laughs).

If you understand both technology and management, the management efficiency gets better. That's why we've been promoting game creators because we want them to understand managerial sense too other than just creating games. In collaborations too, a lot of people are involved, and if we don't have a sense to make all of them happy it will be difficult. That's why only creators who have such sense may take charge of those positions.

Famitsu: I see. I understand very well. So now please tell us Koinuma-san's vision of Koei-Tecmo in the future.
Koinuma: I'd like this company to continue adding new contents to both console and social games. In that meaning, we also continue collaborating. We include new IPs, involve various kinds of people, and I'd like to always provide interesting things.

Famitsu: KT recently is full of surprises. Collab titles are of course, but you're also aggresively challenging it with your other [in-company] titles, so I feel like it's connecting to that.
Koinuma: I can't betray my inner circle (laughs), but like Yokai Sangokushi, we've prepared a top secret titles and collabs that even most people in the company don't know yet and will be surprised when we announce it. Please look forward to those surprises.

Oh so you got those translations? Goodie. The translators I found were taken aback by the Suit. XD

hatchx

Banned
This makes Hyrule Warriors by far the best selling 3rd party WiiU game. I don't think any of the Just Dance or Lego Games came anywhere close to 1 million.

Good job. Hyrule Warriors was the only Musou game I ever purchased and I don't regret it one bit.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It's based on the fact that Koei said they are developing titles for Wii U as well as PS4 etc...

So it can be inferred that they will have a future release on Wii U. Whether it's a new game or just a port of a niche title is unknown though.

Oh and Ni-Oh was announced back in 2004. Maybe it's time to give up on there ever being a game for that haha.

mario_zpse3a4d6a0.jpg

Hm... any chance they'll at least release a multiplat Warriors game on Wii U if it's coming to PS3? They haven't released one on Wii U since Hyrule's success right? Even if it doesn't do too great in Japan, the Western audience they just built up with Hyrule Warriors on Wii U might buy into it right?

Nothing on this I'm afraid.

Most likely it'll be Nintendo making all the announcements.

Is there really anything to say here though except it sold poorly as usual?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Oh so you got those translations? Goodie. The translators I found were taken aback by the Suit. XD

Yup, got it translated :)

It's actually quite a good interview.

Do you think it's new thread worthy?

sörine;162697051 said:
Hyrule Warriors did over 1m overseas?!

Over 1 million worldwide, yes.

Doin' the LAWDS WORK.

Also, is that Nobunaga with an Ak-47?

Yup haha, Nobunaga's Ambition 201X is a smartphone game which is still strategy based but set in the future.

Hm... any chance they'll at least release a multiplat Warriors game on Wii U if it's coming to PS3? They haven't released one on Wii U since Hyrule's success right? Even if it doesn't do too great in Japan, the Western audience they just built up with Hyrule Warriors on Wii U might buy into it right?

I don't see it happening tbh. Unless it's a late port or something. The warriors fan base isn't on Wii U for mainline titles.

TreIII

Mario Musou anyone?

They said they'd like to be able to do that, too.

It's perhaps the only Nintendo property Musou I'd want more than FE (besides a sequel for Zelda Musou, of course).

Anyway, again, I'm glad to see KT rocking it so hard. Here's to DW9 and the next ROTK!

ZhugeEX

Banned
sörine;162700645 said:
No, I meant just outside Japan. Isn't that what the 7th infographic says ("More than 1,000,000 copies are sent abroad!")? So that'd be over 1.13m worldwide?

Well you see, everything in the OP is translated from Japanese to English. (Because there is no english presentation or report at the current time. The translator I asked to translate the presentation basically asked me if I wanted literal translations of game titles and such.

As I said yes, this is the reason the presentation says "Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Monsters" instead of "Yokai Sangokushi" and the 7th slide says "sent abroad" instead of "shipped worldwide".

It's just a translation issue.

sörine

Banned
Well you see, everything in the OP is translated from Japanese to English. (Because there is no english presentation or report at the current time. The translator I asked to translate the presentation basically asked me if I wanted literal translations of game titles and such.

As I said yes, this is the reason the presentation says "Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Monsters" instead of "Yokai Sangokushi" and the 7th slide says "sent abroad" instead of "shipped worldwide".

It's just a translation issue.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Beardz

I just want to say, Koei made some of my favorite games of all time:

Operation Europe
Uncharted Waters
Aerobiz
Romance of the three Kingdoms

:')

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yup, got it translated :)

It's actually quite a good interview.

Do you think it's new thread worthy?

Over 1 million worldwide, yes.

Yup haha, Nobunaga's Ambition 201X is a smartphone game which is still strategy based but set in the future.

I don't see it happening tbh. Unless it's a late port or something. The warriors fan base isn't on Wii U for mainline titles.
Btw, I forgot to say before, thanks for the awesome thread!

Would it really be that costly to release a simultaneous port for Wii U? I feel like no one gives it a chance when I don't see the titles selling all that great on PS4/Vita in Japan either =/. Then again I'd probably only be interested in crossovers, like DQHeroes or something. I guess maybe we'll get a Hyrule Warriors 2 at some point, as that does seem like a title they could get released in 2016, when I assume the release slate will be much slimmer for the Wii U... although Zelda will be out then, so maybe not.

thanks Zhuge, great read and thread. this got me hyped along with someone posting about making a Star Wars Musuo. Day Zero if it happens

ZhugeEX

Banned
Btw, I forgot to say before, thanks for the awesome thread!

Would it really be that costly to release a simultaneous port for Wii U? I feel like no one gives it a chance when I don't see the titles selling all that great on PS4/Vita in Japan either =/. Then again I'd probably only be interested in crossovers, like DQHeroes or something. I guess maybe we'll get a Hyrule Warriors 2 at some point, as that does seem like a title they could get released in 2016, when I assume the release slate will be much slimmer for the Wii U... although Zelda will be out then, so maybe not.

And it really isn't about the cost as that's minimal.

It's just that the games won't sell.

Especially as now a number of the games are being released on PS4/PS3/PSV or something to that effect, the fanbase are on those consoles where none are on Wii U.

Hyrule Warriors was only successful on Wii U because of the Zelda brand.

If it was just Warriors brand then they would have bought it on PlayStation.

ShinMaruku

It is very thread worthy. Because the news about the collab wing will be pertinent very soon. :)

Mind if I add this translation to some Tecmo Koei sites I'll give credit. :)

ZhugeEX

Banned
thanks Zhuge, great read and thread. this got me hyped along with someone posting about making a Star Wars Musuo. Day Zero if it happens

Thanks.

I really have no idea what this next major collaboration title for the west could be! Would it be possible to be Star Wars? I thought only EA had the rights? Whatever it is I just hope it's good.

Will we see Ninja Gaiden 4 in the future?

Koei Tecmo have talked publicly about what they want to change in titles such as Dynasty Warriors 9 etc... Ninja Gaiden 4 was also talked about before and so it can be said that development and planning is under way for the 4th title in the series. As to when we hear about this though is unknown.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

And it really isn't about the cost as that's minimal.

It's just that the games won't sell.

Especially as now a number of the games are being released on PS4/PS3/PSV or something to that effect, the fanbase are on those consoles where none are on Wii U.

Hyrule Warriors was only successful on Wii U because of the Zelda brand.

If it was just Warriors brand then they would have bought it on PlayStation.

I hope they try something more than just the (at this point, expected) Hyrule Warriors 2 in the future on Wii U, but the odds are very low. 3DS got four Musou games (3 Samurai Warriors and one Dynasty Warriors), don't know if we'll see another Musou title. They state they'll release games on 3DS in the next future, but Yokai Sangokushi and Atelier Rorona cover that, already, even if it's not that implausible to see other games. Better luck next time on NX, at this point, I'd say.

Also, since I forgot to do it earlier...great thread ZhugeEX.

ec0ec0

I've never cared about their games, but that OP seemed great so... i read it :p

I know a little more about them now, that's for sure.

Top Bottom