• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo's "Musou" series has sold over 22 million in Japan

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sales of Koei Tecmo's popular Musou games have exceeded 22 million across home and portable consoles in Japan. The milestone was hit with the release of Koei Tecmo's latest title, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, which was released last month.

Koei Tecmo's Musou series started out with the insanely popular Dynasty Warriors series back in 2000 as a launch title on the PS2 and has sold in 10 million units in Japan across all mainline and spin off titles. The company introduced the Samurai Warriors series in 2004 which is approaching 5 million unit sales. The Warriors Orochi series has sold over 2.55 million units across 3 mainline games and spin offs, the Gundam series has sold more than 2 million units across 4 games, Fist of the North star has sold 1 million units across 2 games and the latest One Piece Series has exceeded 1.5 million units.

Globally, it's estimated that the Warriors franchise could have seen sales of over 35 million. However this is an estimate and not an official figure. Please do not quote it as such.

Sales Breakdown:

Please take a look below for a breakdown of Koei's different Musou series and sales in Japan. Koei's number 1 selling Musou game of all time is Dynasty Warriors 4 which sold 1.25m in Japan and over 2.1m worldwide.

Click to make larger

Sales Analysis Archive:

Dynasty Warriors series sales
Samurai Warriors series sales
Warriors Orochi series sales
Dynasty Warriors Gundam series sales
One Piece Pirate Warriors series sales
Hyrule Warriors sales thread

I will shortly be posting a detailed write up of Koei's fiscal 2014 results. Please look forward to it.

About Koei
KOEI is respected worldwide as the premier brand of strategy and simulation games, and is the innovator of the Tactical Action genre. The company's Warriors series of games have generated a combined 22 million sales in Japan.

KOEI develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software for video game systems and personal computers. For fiscal 2014, KOEI posted worldwide revenues of $314 million. KOEI maintains operations in Japan, the U.S., the UK, China, Korea, Taiwan and Singapore. More information about KOEI and its products can be found at www.koei.com.

Source = Koei, Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki and Me.

Richie

-Squints eyes- Hyrule Warriors, 130,000 copies sold in Japan? KT announced the title had sold more than a million worldwide, and I can't imagine Europe contributing much to that...Seems America really loved HW. As it should be!

rhandino

Banned
Amazing, one of my favorite series... it's always a pleasure to try a new entry =D

My favorite until now has been Hyrule Warriors and WO3... need to try SW4 and DW8 but I have been so busy =P

ZhugeEX

Banned
-Squints eyes- Hyrule Warriors, 130,000 copies sold in Japan? KT announced the title had sold more than a million worldwide, and I can't imagine Europe contributing much to that...Seems America really loved HW. As it should be!

sdsaf_zpsb0d33cc4__large.jpg

Hyrule Warriors is one of Koei's most successful titles in the USA.

Dynasty Warriors 4 sold over 550k, Dynasty Warriors 3 over 450k.

Demoskinos

I wish I was more into Chinese History cause I'd probably like a good portion of these games. I do like similar games like Ninety Nine Nights and The Senran Kagura series.

Eolz

Congrats KT!
I think they're releasing expansions/new versions of their games a bit too often but they are still fun and perfect for crossovers.

Ventara

Well, congrats, though I can't help but feel the number of titles slightly diminishes the accomplishment. But more titles is better for us gamers, and is probably a good sign that the series is healthy. So yeah, congrats!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Koei Tecmo's top selling Musou games worldwide

1. Dynasty Warriors 4 (2.1m)
2. Dynasty Warriors 3 (2.0m)
3. Dynasty Warriors 5 (1.5m)
4. Warriors Orochi (1.5m)
5. Samurai Warriors (1.5m)

Honourable mentions go to One Piece Pirate Warriors which has exceeded 1.2 million units and Hyrule Warriors which has exceeded 1 million units.

Coxy

surprised shin gundam sold so well, since people didnt seem that happy with it, hope they do more for the next one, gimme G Reco

Son Of D

Zelda isn't that big in Japan so the appeal wasn't there as much as it was outside of Japan. And it did pretty well in EU I believe. But yeah, NA contributed the most to that.

Zelda fans will buy anything Zelda related. The amount of "DW games are all the same right/I don't like them because they are all the same, but will buy it anyway because its Zelda and I have to support the franchise" posts before this game came out were pretty telling of what was going to happen.

Revan

Those are awesome numbers - I came late to the Musou series but have thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of WO3 and DW8.....

I really REALLY want a Star Wars Musou game though...

NZerker12

Good to hear, it is a very underrated series due to the negative stigma of it being a mindless button masher where all you do is press square to win, when in fact these games are a lot more than that and have some deep mechanics to them.

Samurai Warriors 2 empires was my first and loved them ever since.

Warriors Orochi took everything to another level, and WO3 may be my favorite musou entry.

Hoping for many more :D

Here's a picture of Musashi Miyamoto beasting, because why not :p

PQa7sSX.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Koei games are sort of the LEGO games of Japan.

'Got a hot IP? Want to make a video game but don't want too huge of a budget while still doing a lot of fan service? Koei got you covered.'

Sesha

Congrats to Koei. Hoping for WO4 with Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Izanagi and Izanami as new characters.

Zelda fans will buy anything Zelda related. The amount of "DW games are all the same right/I don't like them because they are all the same, but will buy it anyway because its Zelda and I have to support the franchise" posts before this game came out were pretty telling of what was going to happen.

I dunno. Anecdotal, but I've seen lots of Zelda fans piss and moan about HW being a "cash-in" and not being a "proper" mainline entry. This was after the announcement of Zelda Wii U, mind you.

I find it hard to be impressed by this considering the number of games in the series and how long it's been around.
What is most impressive is that they keep on pumping these things out and making money.

Sesha

The fact the franchise is still around and is as productive as it is, is pretty impressive. Many companies would kill for this kind of success.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Koei Tecmo's top selling Musou games worldwide

1. Dynasty Warriors 4 (2.2m)
2. Dynasty Warriors 3 (2.0m)
3. Dynasty Warriors 5 (1.5m)
4. Warriors Orochi (1.5m)

5. Samurai Warriors (1.5m)

Honourable mentions go to One Piece Pirate Warriors which has exceeded 1.2 million units and Hyrule Warriors which has exceeded 1 million units.

The best.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Dynasty Warrior 3 is still the best for me to this day. First one I played. I put over 1000 hours into that game. Great time.

Top Bottom