• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

I have the Omega Edition but this Orochi versions of existing characters is lame in my opinion.
I agree in principle as this kind of inclusion feels like you would not be getting your money's worth. However, I know for a fact that if it is priced right I would play Awakakened Chris a lot more than regular Chris. The feather on one of his cape pins is driving me nuts though.

Looks like these new versions come with costume variants... that make them look even more like clones of existing characters.
29_or01.jpg

29_or02.jpg

29_or03.jpg

Last edited:
It’s good to get confirmation of a second season (not that it wasn’t expected). If it’s gonna be 4 teams once again then we have 16 additional characters, making the roster really, really huge. I hope they won’t waste these extra slots on meh or redundant characters. Kim and Takuma must return.

The fine print said 2023 for crossplay. So, it can essentially be canceled anytime or pushed back beyond relevancy. Not really newsworthy.

P.S. If Takuma returns I want the Mr. Karate version.
svc-chaos-victoria-serious-mr-karate.png

Last edited:
Very happy that Kim is back!

Darli Dagger sticks out like a sore thumb.

And yes KOF XV needs new stages asap. The increasingly large roster makes the low number of stages even more blatant.

Looks like they are charging full price (15.99 USD) for Awakened Orochi Team. I think I will wait for a sale as they do not offer the same value as Team Garou and Team South Town to me. Still nice to get a few new songs to fight to as a freeloader.

I will probably skip SamSho Team altogether when that releases. Wonder if they will add KoF 98 UM soundtrack by then?

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been covered in this thread, but these soundtracks in the DJ station, are they Original Soundtracks (OSTs) or Arranged Soundtracks (ASTs)? I personally prefer the latter especially for the KoF games in the original Orochi saga and the NESTS saga.

Sorry if this has been covered in this thread, but these soundtracks in the DJ station, are they Original Soundtracks (OSTs) or Arranged Soundtracks (ASTs)? I personally prefer the latter especially for the KoF games in the original Orochi saga and the NESTS saga.
Mostly OSTs of 16-bit quality, but XI -XV offer higher definition tracks with some having uncanny similarities to AST versions of previous games. Also full 2002 UM and partial Neowave (excludes Spirits track) soundtracks in high quality.

Last edited:
Mostly OSTs of 16-bit quality, but XI -XV offer higher definition tracks with some having uncanny similarities to AST versions of previous games. Also full 2002 UM and partial Neowave (excludes Spirits track) soundtracks in high quality.
Thanks for the info!

And yeah agreed, starting with XI some of the arrangements of the classic tracks can sometimes be on par with the arranged versions of the original tracks. (See: XI's version of '95 Iori's "Arashi no Saxophone").

When I bought KoF 13, it came with a 4-disc soundtrack spanning the history of KoF, and a lot of KoF XI tracks were on there.

It is worth noting that certain tracks that were reused between games are found in the soundtrack of their inception and Story Mode has to be beaten with specific teams to unlock KoF '94 - XIII, Neo Geo, Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug, SNK, and Fatal Fury selections.

Last edited:
After playing the new patch I have to wonder if they are going to buff Billy this year. Sad to see a Fatal Fury S-tier in the gutter with Ramon. Wouldn't mind Krohnen getting jumped with a nerf bat either.

Relique

After playing the new patch I have to wonder if they are going to buff Billy this year. Sad to see a Fatal Fury S-tier in the gutter with Ramon. Wouldn't mind Krohnen getting jumped with a nerf bat either.
I was a bit disappointed they didn't do any balance changes with this patch but I recognize that rebalancing too often isn't necessarily healthy for the game either.

I have a feeling they will do a balance pass in the next few months with team samurai. Because the next DLC after that is probably a ways out since they don't seem to have the teams figured out yet.

Billy will probably get some good buffs. Not so sure about Ramon though.. they seem to struggle with balancing him. He hill need completely new normals to be good

Last edited:
With this whole EVO event I played tonight on CPU difficulty 4 which is challenging without being insufferable.

I suck at combos and can’t clear a single trial. Is there a tutorial video on how to input the commands? Most YouTube videos show you the player performing the trial but that’s not much help, I mean I know what I’m supposed to do, I just don’t know how to actually do it.

Finally.... Shingo returning to the series after more than a decade. Guessing this means that Kensou has a good chance of being on the team with him but no idea about the third character.
Give Shingo his "Critical Hit!!" stuff from 97/98 or we riot 😂

When his Critical Hit stuff was taken away starting in 99, he was just a weak sauce Kyo clone.

I suck at combos and can’t clear a single trial. Is there a tutorial video on how to input the commands? Most YouTube videos show you the player performing the trial but that’s not much help, I mean I know what I’m supposed to do, I just don’t know how to actually do it.
Inputs are a bit weird in this game. You don't usually hit confirm and it expects fast precise inputs more demandingly than past titles. Sometimes you need to hold the directional button down between inputs before completing the next input. If done fast enough MK inputs work for most moves. Also the way directional inputs are buffered, it is better to do directional input just before pressing the face buttons and hold last direction. Hopefully, you have a controller with a good directional pad or arcade stick.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I don't think Billy has ever been really good in a KOF game, always middle or low-middle tier.

In the old games Ramon was balanced with his loops. It doesn't help him that in XV his best normal is far A and then jump CD. Tiger Road was barely useful when the games were in a 4:3 aspect ratio, change it to 16:9 and now its just stupid. Actually, none of his corner jump specials are full screen, so they are bound to fail. His whole kit is high risk/low reward, It also doesnt help that the game heavily scales damage of command grabs and super grabs when done in a combo, I hope they change that in the next update.

kunonabi

I don't think Billy has ever been really good in a KOF game, always middle or low-middle tier.

In the old games Ramon was balanced with his loops. It doesn't help him that in XV his best normal is far A and then jump CD. Tiger Road was barely useful when the games were in a 4:3 aspect ratio, change it to 16:9 and now its just stupid. Actually, none of his corner jump specials are full screen, so they are bound to fail. His whole kit is high risk/low reward, It also doesnt help that the game heavily scales damage of command grabs and super grabs when done in a combo, I hope they change that in the next update.
Billy was top in 2k2 for a while.

Ramon is so depressing in XV.

Labolas

Holy, come back to play this and man, what a good time. B. Janet is fun to play. So is GEESE. I have to give it up to KOF XV, SNK made a game that's kept its base community intact without having to sacrifice it for a newer audience, which Guilty Gear Strive has done.

I do not know about that. All I read is "FIX THE MATCHMAKING". However, I am having a blast. There are times where I hate the new ex specials as they nerf the base specials relative to older titles, but there are times when I love how fast they come out, how they have new properties, and how hard they connect. My least favorite implementation is where the follow up is gated behind an ex version such as the taser after Blue Mary's Straight Slicer. Otherwise, KoF XV is one of the best in the franchise. I am happy that Max mode is no longer the only way to get ex specials.

Last edited:

Labolas

I do not know about that. All I read is "FIX THE MATCHMAKING". However, I am having a blast. There are times where I hate the new ex specials as they nerf the base specials relative to older titles, but there are times when I love how fast they come out, how they have new properties, and how hard they connect. My least favorite implementation is where the follow up is gated behind an ex version such as the taser after Blue Mary's Straight Slicer. Otherwise, KoF XV is one of the best in the franchise. I am happy that Max mode is no longer the only way to get ex specials.
Yeah, I think that XV is better than Strive in regards to where it counts still. Regardless of its matchmaking. The game feels simple yet nuanced. You can tell the devs gave a shit about the characters, how they played, and their stories which is another problem with Strive. Funny enough, this is the first game where I actually tried Blue Mary and I actually like how she plays. I think SNK should be more than proud of the game they've made here.

Man, I'm SO in disagreement with you guys.
What aspects of the game are making you frustrated? How would you make it better?

The last balance patch pretty much turned me off the game. It needs a much better rebalance and to get of the godawful wake-up reversal throw crap.
I am struggling to comprehend what the last rebalance did to draw your ire.

When the fuck will they finally release new stages??
Excellent question. My best guess is 2023, but even then it is wishful thinking.

Last edited:

kunonabi

characters that desperately needed help didn't get it and some characters who weren't even that good got nerfed for no good reason plus I don't care for the fireball change.

Futaleufu

People angry about Krohnen should realize that pros aren't reacting with the anti-air, they are predicting their opponent hops and they are using their decades of KOF experience to achieve that. He still does a lot of damage and combos into a super than can be canceled into another super, both used to have pretzel motions.. A recent video by Frionel pointed out that neutral game is king on this game and mix up tech isn't as effective as in the last 5 KOFs, and nobody is as good as Xiaohai on neutral. The taiwanese players happen to play a lot against him, that's why they were so successful on american tournaments.

characters that desperately needed help didn't get it and some characters who weren't even that good got nerfed for no good reason plus I don't care for the fireball change.
There are balance changes I want to see in the next update, but I am happy to have had Heidern become fun and Terry/Vanessa get taken down a peg.

I don't know what change fireballs went through as I predominantly play rekka/grappler characters. Would appreciate more information on that.

Last edited:

kunonabi

There are balance changes I want to see in the next update, but I am happy to have had Heidern become fun and Terry/Vanessa get taken down a peg.

I don't know what change fireballs went through as I predominantly play rekka/grappler characters. Would appreciate more information on that.
They raised hurt boxes on some jumps so it's much easier to jump over fireballs now. Doesnt hurt the characters with good fireballs that much but characters with more middling ones suffer.

As I recall they were fixing issues with lows hitting airborne opponents. They should instead increase the hitbox on the fireballs that suffered.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
What aspects of the game are making you frustrated? How would you make it better?
"Frustrated" is not the word. I just don't feel it.
I don't like it graphically - especially those flame effects (yes, it's a big deal). I don't like this cheap 3D. I don't like the art direction. I don't care for most of the roster. I don't like the easy combo/motion assist. Again, I just don't feel it and I need to accept that KoF for me is dead since '99.
Happy that you people are having fun... I'll keep playing '97.

anthony2690

Banned
"Frustrated" is not the word. I just don't feel it.
I don't like it graphically - especially those flame effects (yes, it's a big deal). I don't like this cheap 3D. I don't like the art direction. I don't care for most of the roster. I don't like the easy combo/motion assist. Again, I just don't feel it and I need to accept that KoF for me is dead since '99.
Happy that you people are having fun... I'll keep playing '97.
I personally felt 13 was the best kof, it was absolutely beautiful too, huge shame it was completely unplayable online though.

I do like 15 as well though, but I think the incredible online helps with that.

Last edited:

Labolas

I personally felt 13 was the best kof, it was absolutely beautiful too, huge shame it was completely unplayable online though.

Yeahhh, you may want to not say that around KOF fanboys or hardcore fans. They tend to get offended by someone saying 13 is best, but I agree 13 is one of the best.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Yeahhh, you may want to not say that around KOF fanboys or hardcore fans. They tend to get offended by someone saying 13 is best, but I agree 13 is one of the best.
I genuinely thought 13 was really well liked by the kof community? :S
But 12 was really disliked.

What a shame that 13 was the last sprite based game by SNK.

Still one of the best KOF games for me.

Top Bottom