• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi's new game teased during MN9 panel at PAX?

Ridley327

I wonder how much Castlevania will be in there, as it's not like Konami would be able to sue IGA for poaching stuff that's almost entirely in the public domain anyway.

Foffy

Banned
I'll forever be sad that we could never get to see the "battle of 1999". :'-(

I think like the Elf Wars in Mega Man Zero, it's better to stay as a lore thing and less as a game. I mean, if we're to look at substantial events in the original canon that never become in-game events, there are quite a few.

- The events of Nocturne of Recollection, which was a radio drama sequel to Symphony of the Night. Written by IGA, so it's canon.
- The events of Ricordanza of the Gods Abyss, which is a novel sequel to Dawn of Sorrow. Like above, it was written by IGA, it's canon, and the last timeline specific event of the original series, as Judgment doesn't have a set year.
- The events of Quincy Morris killing Dracula in 1897.
- The events of Julius Belmont killing Dracula in 1999.

As you can see, there was still quite a lot of uncharted territory for the series as games, especially to adapt canon events as games. But I guess that chapter is closed for the franchise.

Santar

I really hope this turns into something this time, was so sad when IGA had to go back to working on mobile games just to support his family :(
Just please don't let it be for mobile.

I have little doubt that, if this comes to be, Michiru Yamane will be on board, considering the fact that quite a few games have gotten a hold of her lately (Skullgirls, Smash Bros, Project Scissors), and she's regularly regarded as an extremely important part of the Castlevania series. I'm not quite so confident about Ayami Kojima, if not just for the fact that she seems to have been off the radar for a while (or maybe I'm just not paying enough attention). I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Just getting all three of them back together is more than enough to excite me about any project.

Foffy

Banned
I would love to see the holy triad back in action :)

Hopefully we learn more about this project soon~

..You comin' in here as a fan interested, or one of those usual NeoGAF teasers?

anigif_enhanced-3690-1408658697-1.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Didn't even know about this, thought this was a new thread, was anything announced???

Foffy

Banned
Didn't even know about this, thought this was a new thread, was anything announced???

It was teased back in September, went on hiatus due to IGA putting it on hold, but in the last 24 hours, we've had a tease from a Twitter account associated with the original reveal and a tease posted on Castlevania fansites with spritework of the anagram from the original teaser.

Either it's a coincidence, or the project is back on track.

Nicko

I have no idea if the following also has a role to this, but this was posted on the Castlevania Dungeon.

The first sign rises with the full moon.

Soon, I will return.

sword.png

As you can see with the pentagram, it exactly matches the one from the teaser image, so either this is a fan mock-up, or really some viral campaign for IGA's project, which has resurrected like a demon vampire king.

Didn't see this mentioned, but guys, the next full moon is on Monday, May 4th.... Reveal incoming???

Foffy

Banned
Didn't see this mentioned, but guys, the next full moon is on Monday, May 4th.... Reveal incoming???

Oh my Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

I hope all of this isn't too good to be true. Please, Dark Lord, grant our evil wishes and desires.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
8-4 were incredibly quiet about the Konami stuff in the recent podcast. Very hush-hush. Could be because Konami could still be a client (Revengeance 2!), or could be because of impending "lol fuck Konami" Iga kickstarter.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
shed. The man in the mirror nods his head.

Foffy

Banned
Oh my goodness I am so excited for Monday x_x

Edit: piscesdreams over on Castlevania Dungeon pointed out that the 2nd half of the picture was posted over on Chapel of Resonance
Link

I put them together in PS!

A whip?

Okay, full on Castlevania successor right fuckin' here.

rupaul.gif

Miker

Oh my goodness I am so excited for Monday x_x

Edit: piscesdreams over on Castlevania Dungeon pointed out that the 2nd half of the picture was posted over on Chapel of Resonance
Link

I put them together in PS!

I've read through the last few pages of this thread, but I'm still not sure where this picture (or its two pieces, rather) came from. Did some random people post them on two Castlevania fan forums?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I've read through the last few pages of this thread, but I'm still not sure where this picture (or its two pieces, rather) came from. Did some random people post them on two Castlevania fan forums?

They're not random people, they're the same people that are running the Quarterwomann twitter account. It's viral promotion.

Foffy

Banned

Someone named IGAVANIA posted each half on one Castlevania fan forum each; Castlevania Dungeon got the left image with the sword, and Chapel of Resonance got the image with the whip. Both of these were posted after the Twitter account teased in the flyer became active again, actually referencing the alchemical concept from the tease of the game.

All of this happening yesterday is actually astounding: May 1st is when the original Castlevania was released in North America. All of this is deliberate in some way.

Miker

They're not random people, they're the same people that are running the Quarterwomann twitter account. It's viral promotion.

Someone named IGAVANIA posted each half on one Castlevania fan forum each; Castlevania Dungeon got the left image with the sword, and Chapel of Resonance got the image with the whip. Both of these were posted after the Twitter account teased in the flyer became active again, actually referencing the alchemical concept from the tease of the game.

All of this happening yesterday is actually astounding: May 1st is when the original Castlevania was released in North America. All of this is deliberate in some way.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure who was actually doing the posting on the forums. I love Igavanias, so depending on who's involved, I'll may or may not back it.

Foffy

Banned
Right? Give me a KS with a Vita goal to give all my money to.

Part of me wonders if it got funding from somewhere else, though. Maybe Sony or his mobile company he's working for now.

I have to imagine he found money. He put the game on hold, because he was against crowdfunding the game. For it to surface again, either he caved or got someone to help. Either way, we will find out on Monday, it looks like.

Soon, I will return.

The next full moon is on Monday, May 4th.

Miker

If there's a new Kickstarter, I hope that it leans closer to classic Igavanias (SotN, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia) rather than try and do something new and fancy. I didn't back Mighty No. 9, but if I had, I would've raised an eyebrow at the whole dash/absorb/combo system they have going on rather than sticking to tried-and-true run-and-gun action.

TreIII

Imagine if QuarterWoman is PORTRAITofRUIN.

*CaptainAmerica_IUndersttoodThatReference.png*

In any case, as I said before: count me interested, if IGA may finally get a chance to make a CV-style game on hopefully a larger budget.

Maybe being freed from Konami and the confines of the CV series itself could be a good thing for him.

Meh. It would be trivial for someone to make accounts and put together pixel art that's a copy of an image we've already seen.

I will be thrilled if we get information Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have to imagine he found money. He put the game on hold, because he was against crowdfunding the game. For it to surface again, either he caved or got someone to help. Either way, we will find out on Monday, it looks like.

Soon, I will return.

The next full moon is on Monday, May 4th.
I kinda have a feeling that IGA would be pretty good about stretching a dollar. What with the minuscule budgets Konami gave him towards the end.

Foffy

Banned
Meh. It would be trivial for someone to make accounts and put together pixel art that's a copy of an image we've already seen.

I will be thrilled if we get information Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

That's not the whole picture, of course. The Twitter account mentioned in the original tease suddenly became active again last night, just as all of this started to unfold.

You can argue it being a fan with the images, but that and a Twitter account actually linked with the tease that started this thread both happening yesterday? A day that actually has significance for the Castlevania franchise?

This is either a massive series of coincidences or a deliberate move to point to something.

OmegaDL50

I don't know about you guys, but the writing on the edge of this pentagram

uVRcJX4.jpg

Remind me or are very similar to the writing on the gylphs in Dawn of Sorrow.

210720-dawnofsorrow7.jpg

Hm, so judging by that, a Kickstarter seems likely, huh? Well, Castlevania (or... uh... not-Castlevania, in this case) is probably the series I'd be most keen on getting some bonus art/music goodies from, so I guess that could work out...

edit: Ah, seems I'm about half a year late on this, lol. Guess we'll see what happens in a matter of days, hopefully.

Foffy

Banned
Please tell me this is not a troll.

Nope. That's from the original teaser in September.

I think a synopsis is in order, seeing as I see a few users a little kerfuffled here, and being the 'vania mark I am, I will try and quickly summarize.

- Back in September of last year, this image was teased at PAX, and the kind of details from the image give the vibe of one of Koji Igarashi's games.
- The runes in the pentagram imply the words "What A Wonderful Night To Have a KS", with KS assuming KickStarter.
- Koji Igarashi puts his dream game - assumingly this - on hold, back in September, with a KickStarter never seeing the light of day. Presumably, the project is dead.
- On May 1st, Quarterwoman, a Twitter account referenced on the back of that original teaser, posts tweets all of a sudden, referencing elements from the original teaser, such as the pentagram, the moon, and the reference to 'gold and lead'; a key element, as the character of the game apparently is an alchemist.
- Also on May 1st, an image split into two images was posted on two Castlevania fan forums, the Castlevania Dungeon, and Chapel of Resonance. The user, going by the name IGAVANIA, posts the following quote:
Soon, I will return.
- Combining the two images, it reveals the original pentagram back in September, complete with a sword on the leftmost image, and a whip on the rightmost image.
- May 1st was the original release date for Castlevania in North America.
- The next full moon is on Monday, May 4th.

This is the story so far, and I hope it gives users a fuller picture of the scenario here. Some of this may be coincidental, but the timing seems awfully odd for all of this to be the work of one fan.

Top Bottom