• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Death Stranding-action game like Metal Gear Solid,not Silent Hills substitute

Amused

Digital Spy interview.

Hideo Kojima has told Digital Spy his new game Death Stranding will be an action game unlike anything you've anything you've ever played before - but also revealed it hasn't even entered full production yet.

There will be sticks, and there will be ropes.

"There's a Japanese author I am a huge fan of called Kobo Abe. He has a short novel called 'Rope' in which he makes a definition, a statement: the first tool mankind made was a stick. It was made toto keep away bad things. It's a weapon.

"The next tool created by mankind was rope. The rope is not to keep away bad things. On the contrary, it's a tool used to keep good things close to you, to tie good things close to you. Sticks and ropes are some of the tools most used by mankind even these days.

"In most games you see that are online multiplayer or co-op - or even single player - the communication is through sticks. In this game you will be able to use what will be the equivalent of sticks. But I also want people to use what will be the equivalent of ropes."

More at the link.

SOR5

"There's a Japanese author I am a huge fan of called Kobo Abe. He has a short novel called 'Rope' in which he makes a definition, a statement: the first tool mankind made was a stick. It was made toto keep away bad things. It's a weapon.

"The next tool created by mankind was rope. The rope is not to keep away bad things. On the contrary, it's a tool used to keep good things close to you, to tie good things close to you. Sticks and ropes are some of the tools most used by mankind even these days.

"In most games you see that are online multiplayer or co-op - or even single player - the communication is through sticks. In this game you will be able to use what will be the equivalent of sticks. But I also want people to use what will be the equivalent of ropes."

Kojima I just dont know what the hell youre on about anymore but I trust you

Pyccko

Yep, that's just about the Kojima-est ass description of anything I've ever heard. I look forward to sticking my rope into things I guess?

Kojima I just dont know what the hell youre on about anymore but I trust you

images

Whelp, I'm tired as shit and my brain is fried, but I'm interpreting that quote (as well as the teaser trailer) to mean that Kojima wants to make a companion game a la The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite or the new God of War where you spend the game "roped" to someone you care about while poking bad guys with sticks.

I'm probably wrong, though.

Very slightly disappointing.

Hope he gives horror another try next time, and maybe he's just waiting for del Toro to be avaliable or something.

Zakard

The gameplay of MGS V was incredible. If Death Stranding is amything like that in terms of the quality of the gameplay,we are in for a treat.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He said in one of the live streams the first few hours it will be an action adventure game but after that it will be something completely different.

Make no mistake, this won't be a simple action game, it will have horror elements too.

When Geoff asked him if it will be a sci-fi psychological thriller type of game he couldn't answer that.

liquidtmd

Banned
Kojima, I love you but you need an editor of sorts.

MGS5 was fantastic gameplay but the major pacing and story issues I have are within the game. No mythical Chapter 3 would have resolved it, and whilst I'm sure Konami in-fighting didn't help I ultimately believe they weren't insisting he include the content and structure he did that I disliked.

A short, linear, constrained by nature demo devised by Kojima like P.T = godtier.

Kojima unleashed - results vary massively.

I called it the moment I saw the blue-light-handcuffs and "dog tags"

I bet the 5 silhouettes are 5 bosses.

That said, I hope he changes things up a bunch from MGS - don't wan't the same kinda thing over and over from him. He's free now - let's see what he can do!

Javin98

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised by the positive reception MGSV is getting in this thread. Almost every time I'm on GAF, an MGSV thread signals negativity overload to me.

Are people honestly not understanding his analogy about the sticks and ropes?

As far as Kojima type explanation goes this one is pretty straight forward.

Don't mess it up like MGS5. People that have played MGS5 will know what l mean.

Speak for yourself, MGS V was my GOTY.

On-topic though: Interesting, sounds like it will be more of a game-ass-game and less of an atmospheric piece judging by this, though I guess it's way too early to make that call. I am excited to see what it ends up being.

Sn4ke_911

it sounds like Kojima wants to create a new genre with this game, just like he did with Metal Gear.

Kain

Kojima can do whatever the fuck he wants. He's earned it.

That said, MGSV was a blast to play. It was not perfect, sure, there were a lot of things to improve, but I didn't have that much fun with a game in years when it came along. I hope he hired the people who designed the game's systems, those guys are ace.

He said in one of the live streams the first few hours it will be an action adventure game but after that it will be something completely different.

Make no mistake, this won't be a simple action game, it will have horror elements too.

When Geoff asked him if it will be a sci-fi psychological thriller type of game he couldn't answer that.

I think that with a Kojima game, horror elements are par for the course, but I also get the sense that this will be more than a cover shooter. It sounds as though he wants to make something familiar, yet very much unlike anything he's made before as he once did with the original Metal Gear.

Jonnax

A lot of people enjoyed MGS5. I can't say I'm in the same boat at all.
If that's what Kojima thinks is good writing, and waiting 2 minutes for a helicopter to land is good design then I'm not interested.

Sn4ke_911

I think that with a Kojima game, horror elements are par for the course, but I also get the sense that this will be more than a cover shooter. It sounds as though he wants to make something familiar, yet very much unlike anything he's made before as he once did with the original Metal Gear.

Exactly.

JoduanER2

Knowing Kojima's games, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Knowing Kojima's games, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story, please no weird as fuck story.

It sounds like you don't want a kojima game

If that's what Kojima thinks is good writing, and waiting 2 minutes for a helicopter to land is good design then I'm not interested.

What if I were to tell you that people can criticize specific aspects of a game harshly yet still find great satisfaction from other elements of it - I will admit, the story in MGS V was complete and utter shit, but it didn't matter, because I was too busy having fun with the actual gameplay mechanics.

Also, 2 minutes? I'm pretty sure once you drop the beacon the longest it takes for the chopper to drop is 30 seconds, not sure if you were making smoke-signals by rubbing sticks together or what.

Korigama

Going by the debut trailer, this is very likely the kind of story we're getting.

Javin98

Banned
I'm guessing you never played a Metal Gear game besides MGSV then. None of the games have what I would call "good writing" at all. The only one that does is probably MGS3 and that still has the cheezy dialogue the series is known for.

Also, 2 minutes? Right....

Kazuhira

Boss get down! an enemy stick...
Anyway,this game is not even in production so i everything he said is bound to change in the end.

Top Bottom