• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima "deeply" involved with MGS Rising

Lock if old. Searched Kojima and didn't see this.

From Eurogamer

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima will have more involvement in MGS Rising than he has previously let on.

"I'll be working more deeply on the project then a normal producer," Kojima explained to Japanese magazine Dengeki (translated by GamerCenterOnline). "It's a completely different kind of action than what has appeared in the series so far."

Hideo Kojima will let "young-bloods" within Kojima Productions do the bulk of the work on MGS Rising, which will retain the stealth espionage core but otherwise be a "new experience".

As the first Metal Gear Solid title to appear on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, Rising will need a new engine - a task Kojima Productions is eager to live up to.

"We're redoing the engine from scratch, and it's going to look amazing. It's going to be a big project like Metal Gear Solid 4. The entire team is serious about making it look as good as possible on every platform," said Kojima Productions' podcast host Sean Eyestone.

Meanwhile, Kojima will boss development of "true sequel" to MGS4, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for PSP. But, originally, he very nearly had nothing to do with it.

"At first, I was just going to create the overall guidelines and concepts for the project, and leave it in the hands my excellent staff," said Kojima. "I was going to have a hand in the project as a producer, and make titles other than MGS.

"But, I set the game in the South American [sic] country of Costa Rica and created a story with themes about nuclear deterrence and The Cold War. It looked as if it might be very confusing to young people, because of generational differences. So, in the end I finally said, 'I'll do it.'"

MGS: Peace Walker is a 1970s-set sequel to Metal Gear Solid 3 starring Naked Snake, otherwise known as Big Boss. It will be released next year. Little is known about Rising other than that it will star Raiden in his cybernetic ninja suit and, is in development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Gotta feeling I'm gonna like this much more than MGS4. Hopefully more action, less movies.

Hopefully. Not holding my breath though. But Raiden in his current state would be such a fuck awesome character.

Narag

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Lock if old. Searched Kojima and didn't see this.
Gotta feeling I'm gonna like this much more than MGS4. Hopefully more action, less movies.
Hopefully. Not holding my breath though. But Raiden in his current state would be such a fuck awesome character.

Please.

g35twinturbo said:
didn't they say he was "Deeply" involved in Peace Walker also?

He's directing Peace Walker, so he's really involved in that. He's just saying that he'll be working closer to Rising than producers normally do. It's the way he worked with ZOE2, because with ZOE1 he had a more hands off attitude.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SolidSnakex said:
He's directing Peace Walker, so he's really involved in that. He's just saying that he'll be working closer to Rising than producers normally do. It's the way he worked with ZOE2, because with ZOE1 he had a more hands off attitude.

ahhh okay gotcha.

shit , wish he was hands on getting zoe3 into production :(

Even if this is technically the best game ever, with the best pacing, best level design, best action setpieces and best bosses ever seen in any game ever, that fact that it stars that dickhead Raiden should cap its potential at 75 on Metacritic.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Hideo Kojima will let "young-bloods" within Kojima Productions do the bulk of the work on MGS Rising, which will retain the stealth espionage core but otherwise be a "new experience".
Glad to see they're not totally ditching stealth. Can't wait to see how they accomplish this "new experience."

revolverjgw said:
Even if this is technically the best game ever, with the best pacing, best level design, best action setpieces and best bosses ever seen in any game ever, that fact that it stars that dickhead Raiden should cap its potential at 75 on Metacritic.

So we should get Snake in a wheelchair with a voicebox?

Raiden is a fucking cyberninja for god's sake. I fail to see how this won't be better than 4 on an action basis.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I've heard Raiden called many names, but dickhead is a first. :lol

Catalix

Himuro said:
Whoever thought that this game would get rid of stealth when it stars a NINJA is dense.
Real ninjas, sure.

Metal Gear ninjas aren't exactly known for their stealthy approach to situations.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Himuro said:
Whoever thought that this game would get rid of stealth when it stars a NINJA is dense.
He wasn't exactly going around corners in MGS4 though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Raiden will run out of juice(lightening) and then BAM! Cole appears out of the blue and hits him up with that Lightening storm. Raiden goes berserk while he's supercharged and they join forces to create a Mega-Thunder-Storm! The universe implodes onto itself and creates a time paradox. Raiden goes back in time and fights Big Boss. The end.

You're welcome.

Himuro said:

Out of the 10,000 ninjas that have starred in action games, maybe 3 of them behaved as Ninjas should. None of them were from Metal Gear games. I'm worried.

Himuro said:
mgsvr00.jpg

Touche, but that wasn't even canon or anything, just a fan service skin. They'll probably build this around Raiden's unique abilities.

Himuro said:
That one guy that we all thought was dead is alive, and now he's got an old guy in a wheelchair and he's killing him, and he dies about 3 times in the span of 10 minutes.

the
SHOCKAA cutscene after the credits
just wouldn't bloody end :lol

Skilletor

There's really no reason for Raiden in MGS4 to be stealthy...unless all he is fighting is gekkos or something. But, since nothing in the series makes sense anyway, I'm glad he will be. :lol

Not harping on the poster or anything but I'm pretty sure all of the quotes are old.

It sounds like Eurogamer is taking what has already been said, repackaging with their own spin on it and sending it back out to the internet as "news."

Catalix

Himuro said:
I'll give you that, but Raiden's cutscene antics in MGS4 didn't leave a very stealthy impression on me.

Plus "Lightining Bolt Action" and all that jazz, they couldn't gone any direction they felt like. Retaining a stealth-based core gameplay experience wasn't a sure thing by any means.

adelante

Hmmm I recall certain people downplaying the significance of Rising coming to the 360 because of Kojima's "lack of deep involvement", or something along those lines...well well...

Anyway, hoping this new multiplatform engine they're working on ends up looking as good as MGS4 cos man, that game looked HAWT (best character models evar)

adelante said:
Hmmm I recall certain people downplaying the significance of Rising coming to the 360 because of Kojima's "lack of deep involvement", or something along those lines...well well...

He isn't as involved as he normally is with MG games. This will only be the second main MG game that he isn't directing (the first being Portable Ops).

adelante said:

Anyway, hoping this new multiplatform engine they're working on ends up looking as good as MGS4 cos man, that game looked HAWT (best character models evar)

For some it still dosn't matter if he saves face with that quote of deep involvement. If Kojima isnt helming they will still write it off most effectively.

adelante

Semantics and all that...fact of the matter is, he's doing more than a normal producer would, and it already seems apparent that the game is going in a different direction so if Rising is indeed an action-oriented title, I can see why he chose to leave the directing role to someone else (apart from the fact that he's got his hands tied up on PeaceWalker and CastleVania )...but them elitists think this will essentially hamper the quality of the game itself

Dali

Himuro said:
Okay, enough people have quoted you and pointed out how wrong you are already, but I'd like to add in the world of video games, stealthy ninjas are the exception to the rule. Let's see, we've got Tenchu and Shinobido games and... hmmm...

Yeah most ninja video games are straight action games.

Raistlin

Revelations said:
Is this damage control to save face from him not looking so involved in a game he isnt directing?

Yeah, I suspect this is requested damage control by Konami for distancing himself from the game at E3

Revelations said:
For some it still dosn't matter if he saves face with that quote of deep involvement. If Kojima isnt helming they will still write it off most effectively.

That's always been the case. Kojima actually got death threats when he said that he wasn't directing MGS4. That's why the first MGS4 trailer (the one using the MGS3 engine) had a huge applause played when Raiden sat in the chair and it was revealed that Kojima was going to co-direct it with Murata.

Raistlin

adelante said:

Except he's still quite obviously not nearly as involved in this title as he is main series releases...well well...

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Just realised that since this is coming to 360, it could have proper MGO.

YES!!!!

Huh? The 'inproper' MGO on PSN isn't because of issues with PSN. Konami wanted it that way.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it can live up to the MGS4 expectations originally set, that would be cool. We'll see. I'm more looking forward to this than MGS:pW, but less if it's a prequel to MGS4.

It's definitly going to play more like some MGS meets Ninja Gaiden though, but I hope they do something unique.

TreIII

neptunes said:
I think the game will be fine

it's being directed by Murata, the same guy who directed zoe2 and co-directed 4

Same here.

In fact, this probably will end up being the closest we may get to something like ZOE for a while, so I'm open to seeing what he and his crew can do.

Onix said:
Huh? The 'inproper' MGO on PSN isn't because of issues with PSN. Konami wanted it that way.

So you still think it'll be a clusterfuck on 360 online as well?

That would suck. I tried playing twice online on MGS4 and it was just fucked. Mind you that was after the ordeal of creating an account.

Surely that shit wouldn't fly with Live.

dfyb

Banned
you know, "more deeply than X" is not the same as "deeply"

i hope you realize you're being sensationalist with the title

eso76

I could see Konami kindly asking Mr. Kojima to fake some interest and involvement in the game.

Kojipro is Konami's only saving grace these days, they're trying to put his name on everything major title they have in development.

Top Bottom