• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: "Even I don't understand Death Stranding"

GrayChild

https://www.vg247.com/2019/09/06/kojima-death-stranding/

Speaking to the Financial Times, video game auteur Hideo Kojima admitted even he can’t quite comprehend his upcoming title – a star-studded action game where the focus is connection rather than destruction.

“Death Stranding… even now, I don’t understand the game,” said Kojima of the PlayStation 4 release.

“Its world view, gameplay, they are all new. My mission is to create a genre that does not currently exist, and which takes everyone by surprise. There is, naturally, a risk in that…”

The story of Death Stranding has been teased out over the past year, trailer by surreal trailer. In the most recent one released by Kojima Studios, fans were introduced to a breastfeeding invisible baby born in the afterlife, but attached its mother through a floating, invisible umbilical cord.

Confirmed: Kojima is too brilliant for his own games.

Ozrimandias

I miss the old times, when the plot was complicated, but once you understand everything....you got one of the most iconic moments in videogame history (SSS in the end of MGS2). Not this nonsense, of hollywood showcase, overcomplicated story and pretentious declarations.....

Get rid of Death Stranding of my wishlists a long time ago.

GrayFoxPL

ZdVy448.gif

Nickolaidas

I can't help but feel that Kojima is Japan's Chris Roberts, albeit more successful and popular. Both were people who seemed more interested in making a movie out of a game, rather than making a game out of a movie. Both became legends in their day, and both propelled the industry forward.

But to my eyes, they will always be two opportunists who took advantage of the limitations of storytelling video games had in those days and used their mediocre directing experience to maximum effect and made their storytelling look awesome through the video-gaming lens. Should they had attempted to make their games as real movies in Hollywood, they wouldn't be nearly as successful, imo. Because their stories may be good for a video game, but for a movie they would be lacking.

A.Romero

He is exaggerating.

Remember the "live battlefield" that we were promised back in MGS4?

Or the survival system that barely had an impact on gameplay in MGS3?

I really doubt that the actual game will deviate a lot from the tidbits of gameplay we have seen in the trailers.

P.S. It will be glorious. Can't wait until November!

Estocolmo

I miss the old times, when the plot was complicated, but once you understand everything....you got one of the most iconic moments in videogame history (SSS in the end of MGS2). Not this nonsense, of hollywood showcase, overcomplicated story and pretentious declarations.....

Get rid of Death Stranding of my wishlists a long time ago.

The game Is just a long hype to sell consoles, thats why all those Hollywood names are in it.

Its like when Real Madrid bought David Beckham for the sake of selling football shirts with his name, not to contribute with actual football qualities.

Ozrimandias

The game Is just a long hype to sell consoles, thats why all those Hollywood names are in it.

Its like when Real Madrid bought David Beckham for the sake of selling football shirts with his name, not to contribute with actual football qualities.
But David Beckham was an excelent player, we dont know how death stranding will be

Sleepwalker

David Beckham was definitely more than good enough to play for Real Madrid and thats the hill I'm willing to die on.

He was unlucky with the managers he got at Madrid in his first 2 years (awful managers). When he actually got a good coach he managed to claw back from an unfavorable position within the squad as they won the league. Real Madrid even tried to prevent him from going to LA.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

He is exaggerating.

Remember the "live battlefield" that we were promised back in MGS4?

Or the survival system that barely had an impact on gameplay in MGS3?

I really doubt that the actual game will deviate a lot from the tidbits of gameplay we have seen in the trailers.

P.S. It will be glorious. Can't wait until November!

Yeah I can imagine every time Kojima has one of his bloated ideas the actual programmers always put him down:

"Yeah man, this shit won't work and we have a game to finish. Could we make it into a quirky item?"

So this is going to be another one of those "works of art."

Sorry, but if you wrote a story and don't understand it, it's because you're a quack and love yourself too much to criticize your own work.

But whatever, even I don't understand this post.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea i think I'm a bit tired of saying "wtf".

The game cant be weird just for the sake of being weird. Although, i dont think we can avoid a plethora of conversations surrounding fan theories, which can be fun and interesting. I just hope i can at least get a feel for what the game is trying to say. Looking at the character reveals there seems to be a coherent story...its just obtuse af.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think this is from Kojima's heart, and says a whole lot about Death Stranding which will light the gaming world right up.

Poordevil

Man, I dunno what to think. The game creator comes out and says he doesn't really understand what he made? Maybe he will surprise us both and deliver an outstanding gaming experience. Stranger things have happened, right?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love it. At least he is being honest. Sometimes I think he tries to explain himself and people don’t buy it anyways.

It’s like w David Lynch. There are people that want him to explain everything, to define every symbol and all the metaphors and stuff. Art doesn’t work that way.

Kojima is one of the few creators who gives his audience the benefit of the doubt. We don’t need to be spoon fed things. by now he has been making cinematic games for 30 years. Let your freak flag fly dude

Top Bottom