• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: "Even I don't understand Death Stranding"

Senpai, what in the name of fuck are you saying?
floyd.png

I can't help but feel that Kojima is Japan's Chris Roberts, albeit more successful and popular. Both were people who seemed more interested in making a movie out of a game, rather than making a game out of a movie. Both became legends in their day, and both propelled the industry forward.

But to my eyes, they will always be two opportunists who took advantage of the limitations of storytelling video games had in those days and used their mediocre directing experience to maximum effect and made their storytelling look awesome through the video-gaming lens. Should they had attempted to make their games as real movies in Hollywood, they wouldn't be nearly as successful, imo. Because their stories may be good for a video game, but for a movie they would be lacking.
And this is okay because his games are still really good. Don't forget he designs his games as well. He is no Stanley Kubrick but he is the Kubrick of video games.

Don't forget that playing to your strengths and taking advantage of opportunities isn't necessarily something to frown on. We all know Kojima wouldn't stand a chance with the elite of filmmakers but atleast he raised the bar of video game storytelling, for better or worse.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I miss the old times, when the plot was complicated, but once you understand everything....you got one of the most iconic moments in videogame history (SSS in the end of MGS2). Not this nonsense, of hollywood showcase, overcomplicated story and pretentious declarations.....
What are you talking about?

He is exaggerating.

Remember the "live battlefield" that we were promised back in MGS4?

Or the survival system that barely had an impact on gameplay in MGS3?

I really doubt that the actual game will deviate a lot from the tidbits of gameplay we have seen in the trailers.

P.S. It will be glorious. Can't wait until November!
It wasn't his fault that technical limitation were the only barriers to his ambition.

Last edited:

A.Romero

It wasn't his fault that technical limitation were the only barriers to his ambition.

I'm probably the second biggest Kojima fan in this board. I know his ambitions are always too big for the current tech.

I believe this might also be the case of a vision too grand for what current platforms can do.

I'd love him to re-visit some of the concepts of previous games using newer tech.

Mochilador

I miss the old times, when the plot was complicated, but once you understand everything....you got one of the most iconic moments in videogame history (SSS in the end of MGS2). Not this nonsense, of hollywood showcase, overcomplicated story and pretentious declarations.....

Get rid of Death Stranding of my wishlists a long time ago.
So much this.

Ikutachi

Reminds me of Pierce Brosnan who admitted he didn't understand the plot of The World Is Not Enough that he starred in.

haadim

So..... it will be at least interesting, I guess?

Things I heard about this game is so confusing and all over the place.

Kojima is one of my favourite gaming developers.

Ive been gaming for over a quarter of a century.

Kojima is also, more often than not, his own worst enemy, and way too starstruck.

Heres hoping but I fear Death Stranding wont live up to his hype..

Life

If the game's story/ explanation depends on fan theories, even after the game is released and finished months/years later - then it's a fail in my book.

I've never been this nervous for a game release as I have for Death Stranding. I truly hope it delivers on everything and then some, but i'm still not sure what to think about it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the game's story/ explanation depends on fan theories, even after the game is released and finished months/years later - then it's a fail in my book.

Bloodborne did this, and it was far from it. Some of the best theories spawned from this.

Fantastic reading.

Last edited:

Life

Bloodborne did this, and it was far from it. Some of the best theories spawned from this.

Fantastic reading.

I can imagine it working for Bloodborne because you're doing two things, exploring and killing enemies - not watching hours of fully acted cutscenes. Bloodborne gives you the room to do that.

This is dumb and you should feel dumb.

The last generations of great literature was dependant on intensive readings/interpretations of the great books.

Well, my interpretation of stories which "leave it up to the audience to decide what is going on" is that they're unfinished, and somewhat cowardly. It works in some mediums for sure, but not necessarily in a game you invest so much time in , which in the end, leaves you unrewarded. If it's a story that produces similar fan theories - then it's more a puzzle that people solved, and it would work ( I think that's what Kojima has probably done) . But if you get hundreds of versions, then it is a failure in MY book, I don't care if you think that's dumb.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can imagine it working for Bloodborne because you're doing two things, exploring and killing enemies - not watching hours of fully acted cutscenes. Bloodborne gives you the room to do that.

But you’re exploring plenty in a walking simulator, I is confused with all this constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Well, my interpretation of stories which "leave it up to the audience to decide what is going on" is that they're unfinished, and somewhat cowardly. It works in some mediums for sure, but not necessarily in a game you invest so much time in , which in the end, leaves you unrewarded. If it's a story that produces similar fan theories - then it's more a puzzle that people solved, and it would work ( I think that's what Kojima has probably done) . But if you get hundreds of versions, then it is a failure in MY book, I don't care if you think that's dumb.
I guess that's just your perspective then
5wZdQMI.png

i know that Kojima games have had some far out their plotlines and gameplay but i hope that there is actually a game there you can play

About what I expected.

This is going to be No Man's Sky all over again. Except this game.wont have the benefit of being able to completely change and improve itself over time.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Mid-life crisis embodied in a human shell, that's how I would describe Kojima.
He is craving that attention from Hollywood so much he lost the plot , and inflated his games budget to astronomical height filling it with Hollywood garbage.

Konami is doing records profits since getting rid of this narcissist.

Top Bottom