• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: "Even I don't understand Death Stranding"

Terenty

Judging by the amount of exposition Kojima dumped on us in these two trailers, im afraid there wont be any room for interpretation, but his own

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
"Even I don't understand...."

Jesus, what a pretentious bullshitter that guy is. It'll be a load of tedious self indulgent mind-numbing wank like the majority of his games, of that I have no doubt. The cult of Kojima however have too much invested in him and will proclaim Death Stranding as a work art, those who dare criticise it being dismissed as simpletons not being on their vastly higher plane.

Last edited:
i loved the metal gear games but i honestly hope there were some checks and balances in place to make sure he didnt go to far off the cliff
if your lead designer cant describe the basic premise of a game then its either going to be the biggest pile of shit or a masterpiece

Im hoping for a masterpiece but the more he talks the more air is taken out of my hype for the game...i do enjoy sonys adventure games as much as they are considered walking simulators there is nothing like them
so im hoping its another hit as it will make the ps4s last year a high one

Dante83

Banned
Death stranding is not a day 1 purchase for sure. Just wait for reviews from normal, everyday players who try the game out. Do not rely on review sites as they will be paid to give this game a 10/10.

Caffeine

I think the game will be very much like shadow of the colossus but mixed with mgsv a connected usa instead of multiple separate maps, each dark strand you see in the sky is a side quest. The game is more about getting to your objectives then actual combat. on Top of that a play on silent hills various dimensions using the Higg's field that cliff created via a bridge baby where he fused a soul of the dead inside a fetus. Cliff ultimately becomes infected by the black ooze which is like death itself controlling people. A religious cult run by Higgs who are just insane and want to be one with the BT's in the current world. Preventing Sam from closing off this Higg's field rift. He carries and burns bodies so more BT's arn't created in the world. He also delivers devices for connecting the various encampments across the united cities of America. Cliff in the realm of hell is trying to create synthetic bridge babies using the mannequin babies however he keeps failing.

Alasterion

Neo Member
Neither do I...

Do not misunderstand me GAF, I've been playing Kojima games since Policenauts (I'm gettin' old).
But this new game...
I think He's trying to get the attention, and is doing a good job. Each sentence from him is prayed...
I know this game will be a a 8.5/10 at least, but I rather preffer if He can stay calmed till we judge if the game is gonna be a new genre or not.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Death stranding is not a day 1 purchase for sure. Just wait for reviews from normal, everyday players who try the game out. Do not rely on review sites as they will be paid to give this game a 10/10.

Pretty sure there's going to be a lot of footage out soon given Kojima's heavy schedule at TGS.

Portugeezer

Seems like he is exaggerating to make a point; this game is so out-there that even the creator is confused.

About what I expected.

This is going to be No Man's Sky all over again. Except this game.wont have the benefit of being able to completely change and improve itself over time.
No Man's Sky had too many promises... this has, well we don't know, so it can't be another No Man's Sky except on hype alone, but many things get hyped.

That’s not comforting.
It's not...but not for the reasons you might immediately think, nor am I surprised at all. That statement says more about Kojima than it does Death Stranding. He's such a pretentious wanker these days, the success went to his head long ago. The last trailer I watched for DS was 8 minutes of Kojima giving himself a self-congratulatory blowjob. What did I learn about what kind of game it is? Exactly zilch. People really need to stop worshiping this man as a god.

Lot of gamers exposing their age, haven't played some if not all of the MGS series. This is clearly trolling to anyone around the age 29. It's classic Kojima. Hilarious that anybody thinks a game director doesn't understand their game LOL. Btw, we have a ton of gameplay coming in next week from TGS...so in before everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Last edited:

Jesus, what a pretentious bullshitter that guy is. It'll be a load of tedious self indulgent mind-numbing wank like the majority of his games, of that I have no doubt. The cult of Kojima however have too much invested in him and will proclaim Death Stranding as a work art, those who dare criticise it being dismissed as simpletons not being on their vastly higher plane.
Says the guy with a Sega Dreamcast avatar.

It's 2019 buddy, get with the times
full

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Most times I get the impression Kojima is on some really strong drugs and doesn't know what he's doing. Kind of interested in at least seeing what the hell Death Stranding even is, looks like it's either going to be a colossal disaster or a masterpiece, i'm leaning towards the former but would like to be proven wrong.

Kojima: "Even I don't understand Kojima."

I love his wild experimentation as a developer. My only issue with him is - as others have mentioned - his infatuation with celebrity. I'd love to see him keep that a personal thing and leave it out of his games.

Caffeine

Kojima: "Even I don't understand Kojima."

I love his wild experimentation as a developer. My only issue with him is - as others have mentioned - his infatuation with celebrity. I'd love to see him keep that a personal thing and leave it out of his games.
I assume he went with celeberties due to everyone having familiarity with them in some fashion making connections easier.

Cleared_Hot

I miss the old times, when the plot was complicated, but once you understand everything....you got one of the most iconic moments in videogame history (SSS in the end of MGS2). Not this nonsense, of hollywood showcase, overcomplicated story and pretentious declarations.....

Get rid of Death Stranding of my wishlists a long time ago.
Mgs2 wasnt convoluted?!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Mega triggs.

Xenon

Kojima , if somebody asks you if you understand your game, YOU SAY YES!

Most of the best creators have an air of mystery about them. There is absolutely no benefit in admitting this

Arachnid

I thought that was a paraphrased fake quote. Nope.
I'm thinking it's taken out of context. He probably means the science behind most of the stuff (all the equations on Sams necklace for example; he probably understands the general idea but nothing in-depth). He obviously understands the overall story of the game and it's gameplay systems.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
He shouldn't have said it (assuming he actually did). It just makes the game sound like the self-indulgent, pretentious waste of time we're all hoping it's not.
maybe you aren't. luckily your tastes are not the same as everyone in the world. these games reach a giant audience and Kojima has delivered for fans over decades. what i'm hoping it is what it looks like, which is 2001: The Anime. give me the pretentiousness, just crank that tap full on, I say. not every game needs to be dumb as a rock.

then again total idiots demanded Kubrick be able to "explain" his film too.

funny how the same people that go on and on about WOMANZ trying to change their games have such huge hang ups whenever a game dev goes out of the box of "things acceptable to SERIUZ GAMERZ". yall are content tyrants. you people can't handle a little mystery? you can't handle a little auteur-ism? no wonder people don't take games seriously. gamers don't see a guy shooting a gun 24/7 and they lose their fucking marbles.

looking forward to Kojima trolling all you foolz

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Kojima is master of the fiddle, he feeds on your internet memes.
That said, his games always try to add diversity in their mechanics.
Cant wait for the Steam version.

i like his style

there's a metal gear-ness feel to the game ̸w̶i̸t̴h̴ ̸a̸l̷l̵ ̵t̸he cool future tech looks but that is mostly to draw attention

if he̷̡̻͚͌́̀́ ̷̰̟̭̼̩͕̠̾̍͊͑m̶̡̡̭̝͔̺̍͊̇̏̆̈́́͝a̷̙̭̠͊̕ͅḑ̵̛̫͈͓̓̂̀͗͑͒ȩ̷̬̟̯̩͍̊̐̉̈́̈͝͝ ̵̨̛͕͉̬͎̄̑̂͐͝ą̵̻̲͖͖̼̘̏̎͜ ̷̜͔̺̙̝̪̓̾̃̚g̶͙̲̹̜̯̮͊͂̄́͝a̶͎̻̠̙̟͒͆̌̏̈͑̕m̴̜̖̈͐̃̒̎̃͒̀e̵͕̺̜̍ that looks like a bubble gum world with no anchor points of reference it wouldn't be all that attractive

so he's set up a foundation with familiar things b̶u̸t̴ ̶u̷l̷t̵i̵m̶a̸t̸e̸l̸y̵ ̴w̶̢̧̡̢̧̛̳̰̣̹̹̹̱̪͔̳̺̤̣̜͔̠̠͓̞̖͓̩͎̟̳̼̙̻͈̣͎̗͙̳̼̟̫̓̇̈́́̇̏̃̅̇̽͂͐̍́͘͘̚͜͠ḙ̵̱̆͒̋̇̀̃̅̽̍̃̎̕ ̷̢̨̛̛̛̖͇͇̻͙̹͇̰͈͖͙͕̳̱́́̔͆̎̽̒͗͗̽̓͆̆̋̅͑̅͂͐̔̓́̈̑͑̊̂̔̔̓̈́́̽̚̚͘w̸̢̢͖̭̭̳̘̪̤͇͉̭̰̟̙̣̙͚̲̩̯̥͓̼̪̘̪͓͎͇̙̣̗̝̍̃̆͆͒̐̋̾͂͒̾̈́͊̑̏̏͑̇́̆͋̈̍̈́̈́̓̈́̌̈́͘͜͠͝͝į̷̨̧̲̱̙̩̲̟̙͚̙͚̥̦̱̘̥͖͇͍̥̹͔̙͔͍͎̙͎̤̗̫̫̩̌͆͌̍̃̑̚͜ͅl̵̡̧̡̛͙̫̟̪̩̫̭͕̜̺͇͉̗͔͇̅͗̔̓͋̃̏̑̕͜l̶̢̖̘̠̝̳͖̤̝̫̬̞͔͉̬͕̖̭͕̙̩̼̯̝̺͛͆́̆̈́͜ ̸͍̹̬̺̪͍̦̗̦͉̪̫͈͍̪͔̞̔̐̐͊̀͆̒̚̚͘͝͝ͅṱ̶͇̦̖̮̺̇͐̔͗ǎ̵̡̛̺̪̰̺̰͎͕̲̻̝̟̲̩̗̟̪͑̅̍̀̊̀̉̑̾̈́̐͒̀̒̒̂̅͒̃͒͗̓͆͋͆̊̆̄̕̚̚̕͝k̵̨̛͇̥̠̤̬̦͍̫̰̻͚̜̉͂͒͗̓̓̈́̀̇̏̿̈͗͊̀̈͋́͂͋̍̈́̉̂͒̊̾̂̓́̚̕̚͘ę̴̧̛̛̟̖̯̬̠̤̞̰̖̩̝̙̟̞͆͌̌͋̏͋͌̎̉̈́̔̽̿̿̐̋̅̏̔̓̆̀̌̈́͛͒͑̎̒̽́̊̅̈́̆͘͘͝͠͝ ̷̧̨̨̛̰̪͍͍̙̖̩̖̊͋̈͛̋͒̈́́̄̄̉̓͊̾̿̐͑̈́̔̑̐̐͊̇͒̒͛̌̓͘̕̕̚͝͝ä̴̡̛̛̛̭̺̪̦̗͖́̇̏͛́͗̓̃̄̀̀̐͊͑̔̃͌͗́͗̑͌̓̎́̊͝͝ ̸̧̢̻̜͖̗͓̪̳̹̘̘͍̮͙͖̗̬̦̼͎͚̟̰̦̤͖̥̥͚̈́̽̐͐̂̒̂̽̓͒̎̈̔͊̈̀͜͜ͅr̷̨̢͖͍̠͉̗̙̝̟͖̖̝̜͍̠̺̙͉͛͗̈́͋̀͆̄͒̀͋̔͌̌͂͋̓̔͑͘̚͜ͅͅi̷̧̧̧͙̪͔͙̟̙̺̤̖̭̫͓̪̱̣̺̫͕͔͍̙̳̣̣͇̯̳̺̪͔͉̟͆͑̾̊͑̇́̽̈́̐̕͘͝ͅt̵̺̪̼̫̗͉̺͓̏͗̽h̵̜̝͎̰̦͙̩̘̖̦͎̫̼͖̊͋̆̀͋̔̇̀̿̕ę̴͖̙̪̦̻̥̥̩̊̂̾̓̄͠ ̴͔͚̜̟̫͚̮̰̬̗̹̅̈͒͑̓̔̏̊̓́̈̍́̒̾̅͝͠ͅa̷̗̩̩̦͔͙̮̜͍̻̘̦̝͙̅̊̌͗̾̄̈́̚̚͜ͅͅu̴̮̤͕̫̣͈͓͚̾̃͋̓̈̈͒͝r̸̲̬͉͓̲̪̗͐́̈̒͌̉̃͊̔͘͘͠͝ǒ̵̼̬̮̿͐͒́͂́́̀͝r̸̢̮͇̳̥͇̠̯̜̭̖̘̝̼̔̎́́͜ǎ̵̡͔̦̌̆́̇̈́̀̓̆̑̆̅̔̐́͘͠ ̷̢̘̜̄̎̏͋͋͝b̷̫͈̤͉̺̣̩͕̥̟͈͔͍̭́̃̆̾̓̊̀̈́̒̓̉̇̌̈́̍͑̀ō̴̢̱̟̩̜̥̗͕̂͆͐͗̇̋r̷̡̯̙͓̖̱̦̼̯̭̺͈͗̉͜e̸̡̜̦̦͚̺̱͍̙͇̲̱̰̣̟̦̜̎̈́̓̐͒̽̎̎́̌́̅̈́̿͜͝ȃ̸̼̳͖͙̱͉́̎͐͊̈̂̊͆̄͊̍͗̑͝͠l̸̬̏̌̆̍̀̂i̸̻̙̩͈͇͍͙͓̣͎̼̫̭̦̝̪̙͛͋̐͌̃͊͊̈̿͗̔̑̔ͅs̸̢̹̣̮̼͙̰̥̰̘̜̤̗͔̃͛̄͘ ̴̡͈̲̙͙̤̝̫̱̹͌̾̏̀̇̅̇̒̓͌̿̉́̒͘͜͝ş̵̢͖̱̱̰̠͍̲͙͉̱̪̿͑͊͊̈̉̈́͘͜͝p̷̯͇̘͉̓̇͌̅̂̄̃͘̚a̸̢͎̘͍̰̥̣̼͍̖̻̫͓̫̓̆̈́̌̈́͠ͅč̴̡̢̡̛̛̞͈̟̯̪̱̝̣͇͚̟͕̙͉͓̺͌̈̆͐̊̎̓͊͋̾͘̚e̸̛̻̳̋̈́̅̊͘͝ ̵̲̅́̐͆̀̌̒́͆̎̎͑̋̎̚̚͠t̸̗͎̑͂́́̋̄̿͗̚͝i̸͕̖̫̜͕̜̍̂̑͗̽̅͠m̵̢̨̨̗̝̝͔̗̤̱̼̼͚̣̐̈́̾͝è̶̡̢̻̰͉̦̼̙̩̟̘̲͉̜͈͎̆́̇͝ ̸̢̓9̴̡͎̟͇͇̘̹͆͊͌̋̽͠2̴̛̮͚̱̬͒̇̄̀͑̍͋͜͝0̴̛̙̈́̓́̓̓̌̒̃́̎͒̂͗̓̈́͘͝͠9̷̧͓̘͍̙̙̘̤̱̼͕̲̗̉̄̎̈́̋̌̌̎́͑̔̓̒͌͛̓̍̕͝ͅ1̸̥͕̼̘̣͉̰͓̯̾̾̔̎̀̎͂̍͂͛͛͋͋̀̇̅̚͠9̵̡̭͈̯̯̰͔͐̉̚1̷̧̖̯̮̎̈́̋͗̀̈̿̆̽̒̎̑̊́͘̚̚͝͝0̵̥̮̦͎̭͙̣̊̔̓̉̎̀̚̚͝0̷̡̙̳͖͈̱͙͓̈́̈͋̇͛̈́̎̊̈́͑̒́̎̐̉̏̀͜1̶̨̢̗̠̥͇͈̘̮͎̙̮͈̟͎͙͚̈͒͑͝9̷̲͈̫͓̔ ̸̛̘̯̜̭͚͖̹̹̟̠͂̒̒͒̂̽̋̀̇͝͝9̵̧̟̠̞̬͎͒́͒͂̈́͌̃̉̓͋͘͠͝2̴̡͎̥̝̼͖̒̽̋̋̏̂̐̔͛̈́̆͒̉̋̈́͝0̵̩͚͕̦͈̦̝͈͚̰̲̞̟̯̫̥̔̈́̇̏̌̈́̉̈̋̍͌͊̐̕̕͝ ̸̢̨̗̝͉̟̙͉̳̫̪͉̻̯̈́̈́̉̓͑̈͋̅̽̀̊͒̀̈̕2̴̞́̽̆́3̸̫͕͕̪͙̜̼͖͈̣̼̲̥̣̳̲͔̐̿͑̄̒̓̾͐͌̋̐̈͜͠͝͠ͅ8̷͇͔͍̇͐̓̄͌̈́̑͌͆͐̋̇͋̒͊̾

Dante83

Banned
I have always thought that kojima is overrated and his games have been surpassed a long time ago. We have way better devs out there who know how to create compelling games and surprises that are not overdone and reaching. MGS V phantom pain reveal was like the worst kept secret back then, so I am sure that played a part in the way he is revealing his games now. Dragging his cryptic reveals this long is not going to cut it as people are losing interest and have become cautious. Let's see what TGS has in store. If the game is amazing, then good for him, but if the game ends up being a bore and a failure after all of these cryptic reveals, then it will be a bad look.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Judging by the amount of exposition Kojima dumped on us in these two trailers, im afraid there wont be any room for interpretation, but his own

Everyone cried foul when he left MGSV for interpretation. There's just no pleasing everyone.

The reviewers will love DS, we will be told to love this game, the fanboys will rejoice as they see DS as the greatest game ever made.

For everyone else, DS will be as long lasting as a fart in a hurricane.

Whenever a game is hyped to this level, it is always a disappointment. Somebody prove me wrong, but has a hyped game ever lived up to expectations?

Lunk

This is like the creators of LOST saying "The reason we can't tell you the answers to the mysteries WE WROTE is because the Island is SO mysterious and unknowable, EVEN WE didn't know the answers!"

This cofirms my suspicions that Kojima really doesn't give a shit anymore.

Kojima stopped tried when he saw Etsu Tamari and Kenji Saito deliver (out of absolute nowhere) a better Metal Gear story than he ever did. He had to go full esoteric.

I'm only half kidding, goddamn Rising is so fucking fantastic.

joe_zazen

The reviewers will love DS, we will be told to love this game, ...

See, criticbait games are actually engineered that way, and that isnt how kojima is making this game. A criticbait game will have ex critics onstaff and will hire working reviewers at 10x their normal pay during the dev process to guide things for maximum metacritic.

Maybe kojima is doing this but i really doubt it. This game could very well be trashed by critics because they didnt help,write it and Kojima may not of spread cash around to reviewers via mock review consultation fees to ensure a good enough score. He isnt making gears of war or the last of us 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom