• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is teasing new trailer and off-screen pics for MGSV: The Phantom Pain

I have been on media blackout since last e3 and the 30 min demo. I have a technical question. Have the latest showings of the game improved the pop in issues that plagued the game up to that e3 2014 demo i saw? This is my only technical complaint at the moment. The lod pop in is really noticeable and i was wondering if Kojima has addressed that, or said that he will address it for the released product.

there was a demo of a new location shown later in 2014 where it did not appear to be as big of an issue. actually looked like the added more detail to environments too. but it's tough to say since it was a different location

valkyre

Many thanks for the encouraging news.

I am in love with the franchise, GZ has around 100+ hours of my time, but that pop in really really hurt my eyes! Glad to see there is some good news on that front! May cant come soon enough!

@Kojima_Hideo: プレイ。チェック。
B68-gJdCUAAP-8z.jpg:large

@Kojima_Hideo: 今回はオープンワールドなのでチュートリアルが難しい。リニアな旧ゲームなら、最初はユーザーを小さなところに閉じ込めておいて、徐々に操作を拡げていくのだが、自由潜入なのでそうもいかない。能動的に何処へでも行けて、自分で発見出来るのが理想。
B69Z61tCUAAQFbM.jpg:large

@JunkerHQNet:
Kojima talking about how tutorials are difficult this time. In a linear game you would start the player in a small area and gradually expand what they can do, but you can't do that in open world stealth. Ideally the player can go wherever he wants and can discover things himself.

(The first tweet simply states that Kojima is performing a play test.)

@JunkerHQNet:
Kojima talking about how tutorials are difficult this time. In a linear game you would start the player in a small area and gradually expand what they can do, but you can't do that in open world stealth. Ideally the player can go wherever he wants and can discover things himself.

Playtest bootcamp...

Release is imminent, I can feel it.

You feel it too, don't you?
those tweets have me too fucking hyped! OH MAN.

If we go by past development, and all the rumors about an early 2015 release we may just be getting this game sooner rather than later.

I want to say March, but it could easily be closer to June.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well he's wearing the Ground Zeroes sneaking suit, that's new.

Also - no scars on his face?

Chinner

Banned
or maybe there is something set between the helicopter crash in GZ and the awakening scene in the hospital in TPP

:O

Chinner

Banned
He actually confirmed that it will be available to those who complete Ground Zeroes!

What, the Ground Zeroes costume or the model itself? It look's like the model considering his face and hair. I suppose if it's the model then that is probably the most likely explanation.

What, the Ground Zeroes costume or the model itself? I suppose if it's the model then that is probably the most likely explanation.

The outfit -- I believe it was confirmed either on the Steam GZ site or the press release sent out in December. Can't remember which, but he's mentioned it elsewhere! The model itself, well, I wouldn't be surprised since there ARE unlockable skins. (Glaz and Palitz, for example, so GZ Snake is not out of the question!)

Also, I strongly believe the next presentation will show off customization features!

I've always thought that the helicopter crash was a red herring. Theres too many things that have to happen between the crash and BB waking up in the hospital.

One minute Miller and BB crash into the ocean near Cuba. The next minute Miller is on an operating table next to BB (Presumably at the Cyprus hospital?). And the next minute BB wakes up from a coma, and has to rescue Miller who has been captured in Afghanistan. There's something else going on here.

MajorTom

I've always thought that the helicopter crash was a red herring. Theres too many things that have to happen between the crash and BB waking up in the hospital.

One minute Miller and BB crash into the ocean near Cuba. The next minute Miller is on an operating table next to BB (Presumably at the Cyprus hospital?). And the next minute BB wakes up from a coma, and has to rescue Miller who has been captured in Afghanistan. There's something else going on here.
I noticed something in one of the trailers for ground zeroes a while ago. There is a short part where big boss is looking out the side of a chopper, covered in cuts but otherwise seems fine. This never happened in ground zeroes so the crash is definitely not what causes the coma.

THE HYPE NEVER DIES, CAN'T WASH THIS FUCKING KOJIMA OFF OF OUR HANDS

The hype train is back in full effect, at least I've got resident evil to tide me over till like.....

Tommorow.

Sell me on Resident Evil.
leuhkikcskn4.gif

I noticed something in one of the trailers for ground zeroes a while ago. There is a short part where big boss is looking out the side of a chopper, covered in cuts but otherwise seems fine. This never happened in ground zeroes so the crash is definitely not what causes the coma.

Come join us in the community thread!

valkyre

He doesnt even have the frigging mechanical arm either in those shots! I am amazed no one mentioned it yet! And it is curious that the next picture shows the mechanical arm with the shape V (victory, or "five") !

Edit: also, the notes on the chopper, might be the people BB is after, those he considers responsible for the destruction of Mother Base. Can anyone with eagle eyes spot Emmerich in those pics?

@JunkerHQNet:

Isn't this Ground Zeroes?

Chinner

Banned
There is some text attached to the picture above:

"義手が治った?!いや、バグでした"

Google translates it to...

"Artificial arm has healed ? ! No, it was a bug ."

ITS A BUG, BROS, BUG BROS

valkyre

So is that pointy knee a bug? Didn't look that terrible in GZ.

MGS-Ground-Zeroes-Menu-Screen.jpg

Ηe had a pointy knee in GZ as well. Its just the camera angle.

People need to remember that these games are unfortunately based on last gen hardware. Yes they run like a dream in PS4/XB1, with all kinds of bells and whistles added to them, but the geometry is still PS360 type of geometry.

And that means that PS4 Big Boss has the same number of polygons that PS3 Big Boss has. Which is the reason you get pointy knees among many other pointy things.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So is that pointy knee a bug? Didn't look that terrible in GZ.

MGS-Ground-Zeroes-Menu-Screen.jpg
Different camera angle, game seems to have lower poly body character models than if it were a full next gen title so you get that hexagonal look at times. Shame cause the faces don't seem to have any of that.

valkyre

Different camera angle, game seems to have lower poly body character models than if it were a full next gen title so you get that hexagonal look at times. Shame cause the faces don't seem to have any of that.

They do actually, look at closeups of the ear section or even the nose and you can see the low poly count.

R_Deckard

NpqG6JG.png

calling it now "Gold" for next trailer track ;)

The games gone "GOLD" is what he is referring too surely.

Plus is that picture of Snake way before the Coma he awakes from in 1984, so he has a year to start seeking revenge after
the events at the base attack from GZ
so healed from this alittle?

Plus is that picture of Snake way before the Coma he awakes from in 1984, so he has a year to start seeking revenge after

Please don't ruin my dreams of Spandau Ballet in the next trailer...

it's just the GZ model in TPP. unless there's some flashback missions or something

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They do actually, look at closeups of the ear section or even the nose and you can see the low poly count.
Yea upon closer inspection that's true. But it doesn't seem to be as noticeable as on the bodies themselves.
maxresdefault.jpg

Metal_Gear_Solid_5_Phantom_Pain_Tokyo_Game_Show__9_-pcgh.jpg

At least when it comes to BB.

Top Bottom