• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is teasing new trailer and off-screen pics for MGSV: The Phantom Pain

063.jpg

and possibly Quiet might be the bosses

yea of course those I have seen. But we don't really get concrete idea of who they are and how they integrate into boss battles.

Why do you want concrete ideas of the boss battles before the game is out? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather go into the fight not knowing anything about it. Metal Gear games have a clear formula in their boss fights, so if you played the other games you should have an idea of what to expect. Anything more specific should be revealed in gameplay, not trailers.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
From Kojima's twitter:

"DD seems shocked to see Snake with bandages.”
B-Ca5tVCcAEonHD.jpg:large

"What? Unexpectedly Snake got bandage on when back in to chopper! Why?! Wasn't plan this way. ”
B-B7K5vCUAIaQyG.jpg:large

B-B7K84CMAMjTOx.jpg:large

duckroll

I want them to at least give a glimpse of bosses.

At this moment it makes it feel like there is no boss battles in MGSV:TPP (which I am sure is not true)

I'm afraid that it's going to be further down the path of Peace Walker, where to facilitate bosses in larger open areas and possibly with multiplayer, they're designed to either be large machines, or large machines with support troops, or a group of stronger unique troops, rather than the more traditional character based bosses of MGS where it's one on one with special powers.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I just feel that Kojima has moved away from the concept of supervillain bosses from MGS1-4. Even MGS4's bosses felt kinda like a precursor of PW's boss design, with many of the bosses having a group of support troops as distraction.

jett

D-Member
I'm afraid that it's going to be further down the path of Peace Walker, where to facilitate bosses in larger open areas and possibly with multiplayer, they're designed to either be large machines, or large machines with support troops, or a group of stronger unique troops, rather than the more traditional character based bosses of MGS where it's one on one with special powers.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I just feel that Kojima has moved away from the concept of supervillain bosses from MGS1-4. Even MGS4's bosses felt kinda like a precursor of PW's boss design, with many of the bosses having a group of support troops as distraction.

HSeNpRb.gif

I fear this as well and every day we don't get the boss gallery (as we have with EVERY SINGLE MGS game) that this is more of a reality.

PW bosses mostly sucked. The tank fight on GZ was one of those bosses. If that is all there is too look forward to in MGSV it won't be as great as the other games. To me it is as simple as that, bosses are a massive part of MGSV, I cannot imagine what the other games would be without them.

duckroll

I don't dislike the PW fights, but I have to note that I played the game mostly on PSP, and I did do a bunch of the boss stuff with co-op (both friends and strangers over Ad-hoc party), especially the really hard post-game optional boss stuff. I had a good time, but it definitely isn't a traditional MGS experience, and for a big high production level MGS game like this, it would be very disappointing to see boss encounters reduced to just that sort of thing.

As a long time MGS fan, I want there to be a rogues gallery, there needs to be a villain team, actual characters with personalities, special powers, who are fun to fight and memorable in both gameplay and story. I want that feeling again. It's been... such a long time. :(

raven777

I see. I haven't played PW yet so I don't know how the bosses are in PW, but I am not sure if I like the sound of it. I always loved the human type super villan bosses in MGS series.

Sn4ke_911

I think there will be some really great bosses in the game. They teased us already with the "Man on Fire".

ibzucbltiokhg3cmlzx.gif

Colonel-Volgin.jpg

or let's not forget Kid Mantis which has the potential to become one of the best bosses ever.

Play-Arts-Kai-MGS-Kid-Mantis.jpg

Hell Code Talker could be a boss or Skull Face, let's not forget "The ones who don't exist"

063.jpg

Or Quiet etc.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen tons of character important to the main story yet because Quiet for example is a sub plot.

I think this time Kojima really wants to keep us much a secret as possible and it shows.

Kojima said multiple times he does not want to disappoint fans with MGSV and Troy Baker said we've seen nothing yet of the game.

I wouldn't worry about the bosses at all.

Ugh, I hope not. Those bosses are one of the reasons why PW never clicked for me.

Darkangel

As someone who platinumed Peace Walker on PS3 I really hope they don't bring back the vehicle boss grinding. Peace Walker felt like a Monster Hunter spinoff and was a pretty shitty MGS game.

Still fun though.

I'm not worried about the bosses in MGSV, if for none other than the simple reasons: We've already seen some supernatural characters in TPP, and MGSV has a clear-cut villain from the start - Skull Face. In Peace Walker, we weren't introduced to the bad guy until the ninth Main Ops mission. In MGSV, he's in the opening cutscene (Ground Zeroes). But more importantly, as I said earlier, we have seen several supernatural/superhuman characters, whereas in Peace Walker, we saw none. From trailers alone: (possible huge spoilers for those who haven't watched)
Phantom "Volgin" (or man who looks like Volgin) - we actually saw a bit of this battle in action, gas-mask kid, Quiet, and the numbered soldiers
. I think there will be a boat-load of mech bosses, don't get me wrong, but I also don't worry about a more varied boss cast than Peace Walker. And don't forget, we saw a mech battle at TGS! While the player made it look relatively easy, he had a strong bond with Quiet, so he was able to pull off cooperative moves that we probably won't be able to when we play through for the first time. All that, and due to it being open world, certain bosses (possibly all outside of those in the main story, but who knows since you can avoid characters with as prominent a role as Quiet) can be avoided altogether. Only time will tell, though!

/XX/

I wouldn't worry about the bosses at all.
I'm still waiting to finally discover what Mr. Kojima meant with that "designing something completely different than what they've done before for boss battles"... does he wanted to imply something "completely different" from every other game of the saga including MGS: PW in terms of 'battle mechanics' perhaps? Or just something related to the variable encounter triggers alone and not to the kind of bosses we will face on itself?

duckroll

I think there will be some really great bosses in the game.

I remember feeling this way with Peace Walker too. There was Galvez, a Russian who has a mecha arm! There's Coldman, a badass looking CIA operative with a peace sign tattooed on the back of his head! There's Strangelove who is obsessed with The Boss, and dresses a bit like she does! Surely they were just hiding details about game, and there would be great character boss fights along with the vehicle battles! :(

Vehicle battles are regular enemies from what we've seen in GZ and TPP's gameplay presentations, and you can take them down in a few shots.

I'm still waiting to finally discover what Mr. Kojima meant with that "designing something completely different than what they've done before for boss battles"... does he wanted to imply something "completely different" from every other game of the saga including MGS: PW in terms of 'battle mechanics' perhaps? Or just something related to the variable encounter triggers alone and not to the kind of bosses we will face on itself?

maybe the boss battles allow you to recruit said bosses if you defeat them in a non-lethal manner? or you have to somehow "win them over" with your skill in order to recruit them.

we already know you can recruit and have quiet as a buddy. we already know at some point that mantis is an ally of liquid and/or big boss. we've seen in the e3 2014 trailer that skullface at some point for some reason is pal-ing around with BB. maybe you recruit all of the bosses you face to join your team

so i'd presume a boss battle line up of:

kid mantis
quiet
code talker
skullface
etc.

each of whom you can recruit to diamond dogs in the boss battle. along with additional boss encounters with vehicles and "those that don't exist"

YomommaZ

I really hope that prostetic arm will be a part of CE.

Or maybe a Big Boss figure if it's well made and not midget size.

I hope we don't get a cheap plush DD, Quiet bra that works as eyepatch and a bunch of stickers...

I wonder will each region have an overall boss fight and if you do the side ops it can weaken the boss somehow. Or defeat the boss and the side ops get easier or change in some way.

Or if the boss fights are still tied to the main mission and follow traditional MGS structure.

cackhyena

maybe the boss battles allow you to recruit said bosses if you defeat them in a non-lethal manner? or you have to somehow "win them over" with your skill in order to recruit them.

we already know you can recruit and have quiet as a buddy. we already know at some point that mantis is an ally of liquid and/or big boss. we've seen in the e3 2014 trailer that skullface at some point for some reason is pal-ing around with BB. maybe you recruit all of the bosses you face to join your team

so i'd presume a boss battle line up of:

kid mantis
quiet
code talker
skullface
etc.

each of whom you can recruit to diamond dogs in the boss battle. along with additional boss encounters with vehicles and "those that don't exist"
My insane dream would be this leading into MG1 reimagined. Where Snake has to face off with whomever you decided to win over to your side in this game.

SomTervo

063.jpg

and possibly Quiet might be the bosses

I think these guys will be an enemy type. Maybe the henchmen of a boss. Imho they will NOT be a boss in their own right. They're all identical.

My money is on these guys being like the Ocelot Unit from MGS3. Special, tougher enemies. Probably super mobile and rare but dangerous in the open world – like the Volatiles in Dying Light.

Also Quiet might be in a minor boss encounter, but we know, categorically, that she's not a villain. She won't be a boss in that sense.

Sn4ke_911

Kojima says: The support box made out of carbon box for sending during the mission got strengthen as to increase of its durability

B-gynUCCcAAsXv-.jpg:large

SomTervo

My gf was already a big MGS fan but she's gonna lose her shit over full-dog simulation

KojiDogs 40/40 from Famitsu

Edit: Can I also just say that those trees really, really don't look good.

But I don't really care. Looks like it'll be a 'greater than the sum of its parts' sort of game, in terms of graphics at least. Each individual element might be a bit choppy and last-gen, but altogether it'll look great and likely 60FPS based on Ground Zeroes.

My gf was already a big MGS fan but she's gonna lose her shit over full-dog simulation

KojiDogs 40/40 from Famitsu

But I don't really care. Looks like it'll be a 'greater than the sum of its parts' sort of game, in terms of graphics at least. Each individual element might be a bit choppy and last-gen, but altogether it'll look great and likely 60FPS based on Ground Zeroes.

every ps4 gameplay demo (e3, gamescom, TGS, etc) has been 60 fps as well. so it's safe to say it will definitely be a locked 60fps on ps4 and probably xbone (and obviously pc)

Considering that, yeah, the game's confirmed for 60fps even on consoles, it looks pretty damn great.

Sn4ke_911

Another new day, another new set of new chopper pics!

B-l_SK3UsAA8AS2.jpg:large

B-mgyAgUUAQh_2N.jpg:large

B-mgxvtUsAARia9.jpg:large

B-nN97CVIAAeY8l.jpg:large

Top Bottom