• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: MGS Peace Walker is indeed MGS5

lunlunqq

Sorry if old. I couldn't find the search button. Saw this on a Chinese board (A9VG).

Original Source: Kojima Production Blog (http://ameblo.jp/kp-blogcast/entry-10466416389.html#main)

Basically he said Peace Walker was planned to be the 5th entry in the main series. The "5" we saw in last E3's MGS count down image was referring to Peace Walker.
xc13bc.jpg

Don't know why they removed the number "5" from the title.
zl83dc.jpg

vqsfaw.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Most likely Konami requested him to drop the number to avoid backlash due to the platform choice.

Alternate Theory: Nintendo grabbed back onto Sakurai before he could get his hand on him, and he meant the "I want Sakurai to make MGS5" line he gave a few years back.

Troidal

Ugh, that's weaksauce Konami. Even Enix had the balls to put "9" on their Dragon Quest for a handheld. It's not like it is on a non-Sony platform either.

MGS 3, 5 - odd numbered (except 1) series being the Big Boss stories would have been a nice way to keep the franchise rolling.

lunlunqq

how well did the portal ops do? maybe Kojima didn't want people to treat peace walked the way they did to the portal ops games? i still hope to play a real MGS on my console. guess i just have to dig out my PSP. i know it's somewhere in the house.

Zophar

I hate to say it, but just adding the 5 on there changes it from being a "probably skip" to "have to buy" for me. :/

ElFly

If your game franchise sells better in the west than in japan, jesus, don't move your franchise to the PSP, people.

What the fuck is wrong with konami/sega.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
ElFly said:
If your game franchise sells better in the west than in japan, jesus, don't move your franchise to the PSP, people.

What the fuck is wrong with konami/sega.

Except this time the game has more chances to sell better on Japan rather than West.

Zophar said:
I hate to say it, but just adding the 5 on there changes it from being a "probably skip" to "have to buy" for me. :/
:lol I was thinking the same exact thing.

So much power one little number has.

C-Jo

bernardobri said:
Except this time the game has more chances to sell better on Japan rather than West.
It has a chance to sell slightly better in Japan, but now it'll sell next to nothing in the west. So... good move I guess.

right hey let me know when this game gets a console port or something
I don't like the adding of the 5, although i understand why. I just don't like overly long titles

lunlunqq said:
how well did the portal ops do? maybe Kojima didn't want people to treat peace walked the way they did to the portal ops games? i still hope to play a real MGS on my console. guess i just have to dig out my PSP. i know it's somewhere in the house.

I sold really well in japan, enough to justify a sequel. The sales here were okay too.

bernardobri

C-Jo said:
It has a chance to sell slightly better in Japan, but now it'll sell next to nothing in the west. So... good move I guess.

I'd say the game has many chances to sell in a similar number than CCFF7 or GOW:COO, but a million seller only on the west is unlikely.

Sipowicz

Banned
Lindsay said:
Thats a shame cause I just can't get into the game/controls are presented in the current demo at all.

the controls are pitch perfect

it's impossible to kill the bastard tank though

Saterium

Is it bad if I'm hoping for a PS2/PSN port? The idea of playing this on a tiny screen, or with gigantic borders on my TV makes me sad.

consoul

lucablight said:
Is there any chance of this being playable on the PS3 via a digital download?
If Sony can make significant performance improvements to their PSP emulator on PS3 (currently only in use for minis) AND they decide it would be in their interests to make full PSP games available on PS3, then yeah, there'd be a chance.

I wouldn't be banking on it though.

C-Jo

bernardobri said:
I'd say the game has many chances to sell in a similar number than CCFF7 or GOW:COO, but a million seller only on the west is unlikely.
Whichever way you want to split that pie up, there's no way this game sells as much as it would've worldwide if it were on PS3. Not that I particularly care, I'll still be getting it. I just think this whole "is this the true MGS5?" talk is a bit silly.

Blader

Saterium said:
Is it bad if I'm hoping for a PS2/PSN port? The idea of playing this on a tiny screen, or with gigantic borders on my TV makes me sad.

God, I hope there is some kind of port. I want to play this game badly but my PSP disappeared years ago. =(

Raistlin

I'm fine with them not calling it MGS5 for political reasons ...

... if ... the next console entry is titled MGS6 ;)

C-Jo said:
Whichever way you want to split that pie up, there's no way this game sells as much as it would've worldwide if it were on PS3. Not that I particularly care, I'll still be getting it. I just think this whole "is this the true MGS5?" talk is a bit silly.

It doesn't need to. The budget isn't going to be anywhere near it.

C-Jo

Raistlin said:
It doesn't need to. The budget isn't going to be anywhere near it.
True enough. Like I said, who cares what system it's for. I just hope it lives up to the hype Kojima's trying to build for it.

bernardobri

C-Jo said:

Yeah, but the development costs between PS3 and PSP are extremely different, even for a big studio like Kojipro. Not to mention the different time spans which both games were announced and their respective release dates.

Jigsaw

Banned
Raistlin said:

maybe they'll drop the numbers completely like call of duty (cod4 > mw2)

after rising there may be rising 2,rising 3 and then new name again

B.K.

Raistlin said:

Maybe that's the reason they dropped the 5. Maybe Kojima doesn't want people thinking of Rising as Metal Gear Solid 6.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Zophar said:

This is the truth. Hope there's a PSP bundle with the game here in the US. It sure would make the purchase a lot easier.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Zophar said:
for real...i thought "peace walker" was the PSP manga-looking one until now

edit: oh it still is? pass.

Bizzyb

Banned
They didn't want MGS5 to be associated with less than stellar sales figures.
When was the last time a PSP game sold excess of 1 million?

xtheEnemy

Banned
F*ck you Kojima for bringing this only to the shitty PSP instead of the PS3.

Big Boss deserves a sole act on the PS3 goddammit.

jiggle

bernardobri said:
Yeah, but the development costs between PS3 and PSP are extremely different, even for a big studio like Kojipro. Not to mention the different time spans which both games were announced and their respective release dates.

didn't he say as many ppl are working on this as MGS4?
must be hoping for MHP2G level of success to be devoting such resource to it
but going by how much attention the demos got here, looks like Konami has a VC2 on their hand

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There would have been BITCHING if it they called it MGS5 on a portable. Look at the backlash against Valkyria 2, and this is far higher profile.

Seeing those MGS5 concept logos... DAMN my hype has just shot up.

Jonnyram

schennmu said:
Kojima: We want to make more money
More likely Konami telling him to say this to ensure the game actually sells.
Edit: guess that means Rising (Raiden) is indeed MGS6 :lol

bernardobri

jiggle said:
didn't he say as many ppl are working on this as MGS4?
must be hoping for MHP level of success to be devoting such resource to it
but going buy how much attention the demos got here, looks like Konami has a VC2 on their hand

Yes, but PW clearly has less time being developed than MGS4, and therefore the costs could be arguably different.

Love MGS but if you are going to put your 5th game as the (2nd) prequel in the series on a portable device, then seriously.... fuck you.

BocoDragon

Buckethead said:
Love MGS but if you are going to put your 5th game as the (2nd) prequel in the series on a portable device, then seriously.... fuck you.
Well... that's why it's "not" MGS5.

NIGHT-

xtheEnemy said:
F*ck you Kojima for bringing this only to the shitty PSP instead of the PS3.

Big Boss deserves a sole act on the PS3 goddammit.

This. I want to play this so bad. But the cost of a PSP is not worth it =[

BocoDragon

Buckethead said:
Well Rising isn't either and regardless how Peace Walker turns out, it's just another step on the series' short march to irrelevancy.
:lol

Top Bottom