• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima on why he partnered with Sony (translation of French interview)

Kieli

With no one to hold him in check..... is Gaf ready for pure, undistilled Kojima fuckery right into your veins?

I imagine the (presumably) self-published PC version is a nice deal sweetener that he wouldn't have got from any other bidding party. That combined with all of the other stuff makes it a no-brainer.

Having said that, I wonder who would have been the best partner for it in a world where Sony wasn't an option? The only decent choice that comes to mind is Bethesda.

There's s 50/50 chance that Sony cancels the game according to the IGN reviews editor.

Dan Stapleton ‏@DanStapleton
Real talk: What're the odds Death Stranding ever actually comes out? Seems like 50-50 at best.

Also: WTF kind of game is it?

I respect the hell out of game developers, but deifying them to the point where they can show you nonsense and get acclaim is a bit much.

What I'm saying is that the emperor has no clothes. And to be clear, the emperor here is Kojima, not Norman Reedus. It's a metaphor, people.

We're in an age when most devs are moving away from announcing games years before they're available. Kojima: No engine, why not announce?

He's not speaking as though he actually has something to back that up so much as he is being hyperbolic to try and make a point.

Glad Sony has given him total freedom. I'm ready for a weird and deep game from Kojima (Kojima is into very weird art and movies, which I appreciate alot).

crimilde

Banned
Dan Stapleton ‏@DanStapleton

He's not speaking as though he actually has something to back that up so much as he is being hyperbolic to try and make a point.

Wow. Why's he so salty? Kojima's trying to get his fans talking and generate fun discussions and speculation. Calling the teaser nonsense is weird too, it's (obviously?) holding deeper meanings.

univbee

(Kojima is into very weird art and movies, which I appreciate alot).

His twitter feed is a hell of a trip. He seems to buy one Japanese Blu-ray (which can be like $50-$60) of an obscure old non-Japanese movie a day. Also obscure music CD's and stuff like that.

Dabanton

Sony will give him enough time, money and not bother him. Which for any dev would be heaven.

Now whether we get a good game out of that is another matter. I'm expecting a long dev time on this.

.JayZii

Banned
With that level of support and trust, you would think he could have at least not messed up their light-up floor entrance for him.

Really though, Kojima with no limitations sounds intriguing and terrifying.

"We're in an age when most devs are moving away from announcing games years before they're available"

what? With the rise of Kickstarter, there's actually more and more games that is announced before it even got it's funding.

A.R.K

That's the part I really like about Sony: They give almost total freedom to the devs working for them or with them to do what the devs think is the best for their game. Sony gets it.

Good to see that kind of trust.

With Sony, of course I have to explain my plan to them, but they immediately told me "go for it, do you what you have to do."

That's some fucking trust right there and for a company to do that... wow.

Wow. Why's he so salty? Kojima's trying to get his fans talking and generate fun discussions and speculation. Calling the teaser nonsense is weird too, it's (obviously?) holding deeper meanings.

Yeah! I don't get it, either. It's one thing to not be a fan of Kojima, but I don't understand why the editor in question would have a problem Hideo trying to excite his fans and let them know that big things are on the way. I also don't understand the "nonsense" comments, given so many have taken meaning from the trailer, but I guess it's easier to exaggerate when trying to bolster up an argument that isn't that strong in the first place.

"We're in an age when most devs are moving away from announcing games years before they're available"

what? With the rise of Kickstarter, there's actually more and more games that is announced before it even got it's funding.

A great point that is as well.

Aces&Eights

Sony is most likely not writing a blank check and saying, "Let us know when it's done, K".

They are most likely giving him creative freedom but still setting a reasonable timeline to have the game completed in. He was probably given carte blanche to make the game whatever the heck he wanted it to be. Floating things in the sky with Norman Reedus carrying a baby in a dying ocean? Go for it. His next game will end up being expensive (kojima) but it will also print money. The ROI is there. If there was a line in Vegas to bet on it I would easily bet on his game making money.

rothbart

Kojima walked into the room and sony was already throwing money at him.

The room, table, and chairs were all already made of money and he was told to keep them all. :) Outside, a money truck... made of money... burning money for fuel... ready to take the truckload of money anywhere Kojima wanted.

If Kojima didn't show anything at all Dan would just ask why they didn't show anything and call the Sony\Kojima partnership hallow with nothing to show so far.

ShinMaruku

If Sony can work with David Cage, Kojima they can work with. Give him a good manager and resources, it should work out.

Also helps that as a company that loves to troll it's fans, Kojima is a good fit.

Let's ignore:
From Software
Guerilla Games
Naughty Dog
Media Molecule
Sucker Punch
Quantic Dream
Housemarque
Thatgamecompany

Etc.

Here's the thing, trusting developers like this creates a higher risk per project. Maybe even lower sales on average (especially due to many new IPs), but in the longer term, the gain is worth it for a platform holder as it means they can offer something not found anywhere else and create a sizable really dedicated fanbase.

Oh yeah I am all for it, I am really happy Sony is collaborating with external studios and I wish they keep on making New IP's.

I just found it funny the last time a studio said about getting their game greenlit without much effort was Ready at Dawn.

Caronte

What I like the most about this partnership is the message Sony is sending to other developers in Japan. I have the impression many of them think their careers would be over if they stopped working for the company they've worked all their life, so they stay in them until they can retire, regardless of their conditions.

Sony supporting 100% Kojima in this way after what Konami tried to do to him sends a really positive message to other developers, I think. As long as you're talented, they'll be a place for you in this industry.

vpance

The world is not ready for AAA art house gaming. Think like, the SH2 of action games. But less Jacob's Ladder and more Croneberg like.

Slaythe

He wants to relase the game on PC, so it is better this way.

Sony is doing a bit of backtracking currently regarding PC so I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima's game is a "first on ps4" that makes you wait a year or two for PC.

They are making this game to sell ps4s after all.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Will Sony experience the same issues Konami seemed to run into that caused them to reach the end of their tether?

Will Kojima burn through cash only to produce a game that sells underwhelming numbers?

I'm excited to see the results. That trailer was triply as fuck and to me, showed a game that's either going to be fuck awesome, or completely fucked up and unwelcoming.

BadWolf

Announcing something and showing a trailer years ahead of release is the norm for Kojima.

See: Metal Gear Rising, MGS4, MGSV, Silent Hills etc.

It's all part of the hype machine.

Mentok

Banned
Announcing something and showing a trailer years ahead of release is the norm for Kojima.

See: Metal Gear Rising, MGS4, MGSV, Silent Hills etc.

It's all part of the hype machine.

Yup...this game will eventually come out on the next gen console.

Melchiah

He's talked about why he chose Sony before.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158299
"It's thanks to Sony that I was able to make a splash in the global market. It's been 10-plus years since then and the working relationship at Sony, the people at Sony, we gel well. People at Sony have been friendly with me, I work well with them. I got several offers from many different companies, but with Sony it came to a point where I know these people, we know each other well. I feel like this is an environment where I will be able to make something and be comfortable. And I believe that is the environment I need right now."

"We know each other, we understand each other, and based on this relationship, I think it's a good point to create a new IP. That's the reason I chose to work with Sony on this project."

Fisty

When you have the guy who designed the console as your game's Technical Producer, you know a company is taking you seriously

NaturaRex

Neo Member
Do we know how much is Sony investing in the game. Not asking for the exact number or even the ballpark but just the extent of Sony's support aside from console exclusivity and publishing rights.

Arklite

Do we know how much is Sony investing in the game. Not asking for the exact number or even the ballpark but just the extent of Sony's support aside from console exclusivity and publishing rights.

The extent of support would seem to be as much as first party game would be given. Cost figures are up in the air since the title hasn't been properly planned yet.

NaturaRex

Neo Member
The extent of support would seem to be as much as first party game would be given. Cost figures are up in the air since the title hasn't been properly planned yet.
I'm kinda confused; why is Kojima putting out a trailer for game this early. It doesn't even have an engine nor does ( according to Kojima in a gameinfromer article http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/06/15/an-interview-with-hideo-kojima.aspx ) the studio have enough staff or resources to begin serious development. Its clear that this game is a 2019-2020 game. Did they release the trailer this early to attract staff and investment?

Two Words

He still remembered how handsy Mattrick was when he showed up at the Microsoft conference years ago.

Hideo%2BKojima%2BDon%2BMattrick%2BE3%2BGaming%2BConference%2B_WU0MNxDPsjl.jpg

MaxHouse

Banned
I'm still confused about this...

is Death Stranding just the title of the tech demo, or is it really confirmed to be Kojima's next game

and it is starring Norman Reedus?

Top Bottom