• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions says Death Stranding PC ‘feels like watching a movie’ compared to ‘a TV drama’ on PS4 | PS5 port hinted

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a video interview with Geoff Keighley on Monday, art director Yoji Shinkawa was asked how the studio was able to improve on the game’s PS4 release last year for the upcoming PC version.

“Of course, compared with the PS4 version, the resolution and the frame rate have been upgraded,” he responded through a translator. “But the biggest surprise I think that people will get is that we supported the 21:9 ultrawide screen, and this is surely expanding the horizontal perspective to bring you like dive into the game with the immersion and the presence with it.

“Also, when you have this wider horizontal perspective, you can see more enemies and also you can kind of find where you want to go, because the amount of information is actually just much more viewable.”

Beyond improving the gameplay, Shinkawa discussed how ultrawide support makes the PC version of Death Stranding a more immersive and cinematic experience than the console one.

“So yeah, I touched a little bit about the ultrawide screen, but this is not just only in the game part, but this ultrawide we’ve adjusted so that even in the cutscenes, you can see it in ultrawide in the PC version,” he said.

“So compared to the previous one, I could kind of say that you’re kind of watching a TV drama in the previous game, but this time in the PC version it’s more you get the impression that you’re watching a movie at the cinema.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of which brings us to the big question. With Death Stranding on PC, Kojima Productions has delivered a port of the game that comprehensively breaks free of the limitations of the current generation era of consoles, running beautifully on modern gaming PCs with far more power. In essence, from our perspective, the game's looking scalable enough to deliver a great PlayStation 5 experience.

"Right now, we are really focused on the PC version of Death Stranding, so we can't really say anything for the PS5," says Akio Sakamoto. "But once we take a little breath after launching the PC version, we would surely like to look into it deeper, and hope to let everyone know once we come to some decisions."

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Movies at the cinema are 24fps. So wouldn't the PS4 version be closer to the "cinema" feel? :unsure:

I don't really see how an ultrawide would make it feel more cinematic. More immersive, sure, I'll give it that. But 60fps and higher makes things feel more "lifelike" IMO. Not like cinema.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Movies at the cinema at 24fps. So wouldn't the PS4 version be closer to the "cinema" feel? :unsure:

I don't really see how an ultrawide would make it feel more cinematic. More immersive, sure, I'll give it that. But 60fps and higher makes things feel more "lifelike" IMO. Not like cinema.

I really got that sense from looking at it. The latest DF video on the port has ultrawide footage, if you want to see for yourself. It is amazing looking, and very, very cinematic.

Keihart

That clickbait tittle, good lord.
Have some selfrespect :messenger_tears_of_joy: (i know it's the tittle of the fucking article btw, not directed at OP)

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Shinkawa said this. Shinkawa is not a PR guy, he’s an artist and he speaks his mind. Sometimes he just says things, this really shouldn’t be given as much notice as it has.

MrS

Banned
He's right. Watch the Digital Foundry video review. The game looks phenomenal on PC. It was obvious that the game would look better on a beast PC than a PS4 Pro. The comment isn't disrespectful IMHO.

But the biggest surprise I think that people will get is that we supported the 21:9 ultrawide screen, and this is surely expanding the horizontal perspective to bring you like dive into the game with the immersion and the presence with it.
Ah, a man of culture I see.

Unlike me, I play at 16:9 ☹️

Holammer

Please, please, please on PS5.

The PC enhancements are really, really nice. I would disagree about TV dramas, in that it's a gorgeous, cinematic experience on both, with one taking the lead, but I see where he's coming from.

It'll come, I would be surprised if it didn't and very disappointed if it can't handle 120fps @ 1440p.

Business

Sure hope it's not a port and just the game you already bought on PS4 compatible with PS5, if possible enhanced. Anything else is bs.

Top Bottom