• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima teases Snake Eater 3D bundle 3DS (dat snake skin)

Ridley327

Why Eva looks like Paz? and when her boobs grew?

At the screenshots: dat aliasing

Clearly, there's new story content in this version that reveals Paz to be Eva's long lost sister!

The really sad part is I would probably bet money on this being the case these days

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would the Circle Pad Pro be pretty much required for this? I imagine since it's being ported from a system that has two analogs.

KarmaCow

I have a $10 gift certificate that expires on Feb 25th, what are the chance that this doesn't end up being a terrible port?

It's a toss up between this and RE:R and I didn't really like the RE:R demo.

backlot

Would the Circle Pad Pro be pretty much required for this? I imagine since it's being ported from a system that has two analogs.

I don't think the original Snake Eater really used the second stick that much on PS2. It had fixed camera angles. It seems like this game has a control scheme similar to Peace Walker on the PSP, though, so it will probably work ok without the CPP.

basically, yes. but it has nothing to do with the ps2 version.

The first PS2 release (plain MGS3) didn't use the right analog. the second PS2 release (Subsistence, also in the HD Collection) only uses the right analog for moving the camera around Snake in third person. Aiming is on the left stick, which means you can't move and aim like a standard third person shooter.

MGS4 changed it to left stick = move, right = camera/aim. Peace Walker had more or less the same scheme but had to use the face buttons to aim since it didn't have a second stick.

iirc, the MGS3 on 3DS uses Peace Walker's controls where you aim with the face buttons. It actually adds some MGS4/PW mechanics like moving/aiming, third person aiming, and crouch walking.

It'll make a bigger difference in MGS3 3DS than RE:R. Realistically, unless other aspects of the port of a mess, the MGS3 w/circle pad pro would control even easier than the MGS3 on PS2.

Ridley327

Vanilla MGS3 does use the right analog stick, but it's stuck panning slightly outside of the fixed camera angles.

There's no doubt that MGS3D will benefit a great deal from the CPP.

I wish they'd provide the option to flip the controls for fine aiming. I'd happily use that circle pad to aim and the face buttons to strafe if necessary.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
basically, yes. but it has nothing to do with the ps2 version.

The first PS2 release (plain MGS3) didn't use the right analog. the second PS2 release (Subsistence, also in the HD Collection) only uses the right analog for moving the camera around Snake in third person. Aiming is on the left stick, which means you can't move and aim like a standard third person shooter.

MGS4 changed it to left stick = move, right = camera/aim. Peace Walker had more or less the same scheme but had to use the face buttons to aim since it didn't have a second stick.

iirc, the MGS3 on 3DS uses Peace Walker's controls where you aim with the face buttons. It actually adds some MGS4/PW mechanics like moving/aiming, third person aiming, and crouch walking.

It'll make a bigger difference in MGS3 3DS than RE:R. Realistically, unless other aspects of the port of a mess, the MGS3 w/circle pad pro would control even easier than the MGS3 on PS2.

Vanilla MGS3 does use the right analog stick, but it's stuck panning slightly outside of the fixed camera angles.

There's no doubt that MGS3D will benefit a great deal from the CPP.

Awesome. 99% sure I'll pick up a CP Pro now. Sounds like it also improves RE:R a lot, and even though I'm unsure if Tri G will be released here, I know I can't play Tri without a CC Pro. It never bothered me I couldn't move and aim in RE4 but I guess it may be different in an action game.

Also I was considering skipping this game, but now I'm more hopeful on getting it. The new screens and footage aren't deplorable.

Awesome. 99% sure I'll pick up a CP Pro now. Sounds like it also improves RE:R a lot, and even though I'm unsure if Tri G will be released here, I know I can't play Tri without a CC Pro. It never bothered me I couldn't move and aim in RE4 but I guess it may be different in an action game.

Also I was considering skipping this game, but now I'm more hopeful on getting it. The new screens and footage aren't deplorable.

Have you not played the game before? You should totally pick this up if that's the case. I literally just played through it the first time on the HD collection and it may seriously be one of my favorite games ever. I'm probably going to end up double-dipping on this version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nope, but I've always admired it from a distance. :)

I imagine knowing the ending will take some wind out of the experience, though. Not my fault. You stupid fans spoilt it for me years ago.
LLShC.gif

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MGS3 has, by far, the best gameplay in the series. Totally worth experiencing, even if you were spoiled on the ending.

Japanese Boxart is so much better than the American version. :(

I hope if this does well we get an original MGS for the 3DS. Maybe something in the style of Peace Walker. MGS3 is my favorite in the series. But I've been playing Peace Walker HD and I really enjoy it, and see it as the perfect way to handle a portable entry in the series.

If we get another MGS on 3DS, I'd like it to be something structurally similar to Peace Walker.

Pimpbaa

I really hope this is a good port since I haven't played MGS3 (passed it due to my hate of MGS2) and I really liked Peace Walker.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did they add more polygons/detail to the gun? I remember that shot in particular having a pretty bad gun model in comparison.

Did they add more polygons/detail to the gun? I remember that shot in particular having a pretty bad gun model in comparison.

Yeah, seems like it. It looks about as good, if not slightly better in spots than the ps2 version now. Still a far cry from the original tech demo, but it is better.

Demo is from a super old build, though. Just an FYI for those excited for it.

The new screens look surprisingly great. I had written this off due to the shoddyness of the port and due to the HD collection, but the visuals actually look improved. Color me impressed.

Yeah, seems like it. It looks about as good, if not slightly better in spots than the ps2 version now. Still a far cry from the original tech demo, but it is better.

Demo is from a super old build, though. Just an FYI for those excited for it.

Is that supposed to come out this Thursday?

I'm looking forward to it, I know not to base technical expectations on it. But I want to see how it plays and make me some photocamo :lol.

Boney

Banned
MGS3 has, by far, the best gameplay in the series. Totally worth experiencing, even if you were spoiled on the ending.

I disagree. I think it's actually the worst.

Micro management, over reliance on crawling, wide open areas, and cumbersome shooting make it inferior to 2.

It has the best scenario though.

Micro management, over reliance on crawling, wide open areas, and cumbersome shooting make it inferior to 2.

I disagree with you. I just played through both of them on the HD collection for the first time ever. I had to push myself through 2, but 3 was just amazing.

I found 2's controls to be the epitome of cumbersome. It also has the worst pacing in the series. While 3 has the best.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Micro management I can agree with, but no radar, having to stay hidden and camouflage, and wide open areas with plenty of ways to fuck with the AI were a definite improvement over MGS2.

Boney

Banned
I mean, I still like it enough to have finished it more than 10 times, but I'm so looking forward to peace walker styled improvements.

If it actually runs well, I'll be there at launch.

Would've loved MGO on it though.

loosus

Banned
One of the biggest problems for me is that Metal Gear Solid 3 always felt like they basically took Metal Gear Solid 2's control scheme and transplanted into a jungle with narrow passage ways and tight quarters. MGS2 was really built for simple areas, like a Lego-built area, with 90-degree corners. So MGS2 worked extremely well because it was cohesive.

Not to mention that the eating and healing system was fucking stupid. Did anyone actually enjoy killing things just to sustain themselves? Or treating a wound by stopping the game and going into a menu? And if you did, what the hell is wrong with you? Some real-life events just do not translate well to videogames.

M3d10n

Seeing screenshots from much later in the game (plus Ocelot) makes me morbidly curious about picking this game up, maybe after it gets a price discount.

Yagharek

One of the biggest problems for me is that Metal Gear Solid 3 always felt like they basically took Metal Gear Solid 2's control scheme and transplanted into a jungle with narrow passage ways and tight quarters. MGS2 was really built for simple areas, like a Lego-built area, with 90-degree corners. So MGS2 worked extremely well because it was cohesive.

Not to mention that the eating and healing system was fucking stupid. Did anyone actually enjoy killing things just to sustain themselves? Or treating a wound by stopping the game and going into a menu? And if you did, what the hell is wrong with you? Some real-life events just do not translate well to videogames.

I enjoyed all of that. What's wrong with you that means you hated it?

Thoraxes

Wow those screens look much improved.

Also holy shit it comes out in February? What the fuck...

Revelations, Abyss, and MGS3D?

Holy crap.

Phoenixus

UK magazine Nintendo Gamer gave the game a score of 93%. Dunno if its a case of 'early review copy=inflated score', but I'll keep my hopes up that this turns out decent. ^^

So they fixed the framerate issues? I hope so!

Well wasn't that build that IGN had supposed to be final?

Framerate in those cinematics were pretty damn rough. Still, if the final gameplay bits are more or less locked at 30fps and everything else is intact, I can totally see myself buying MGS3 YET AGAIN. For reference, I've bought over the years:

MGS: Snake Eater
MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition (Rare redbox version)
MGSHD Collection

gogogow

Well wasn't that build that IGN had supposed to be final?

Framerate in those cinematics were pretty damn rough. Still, if the final gameplay bits are more or less locked at 30fps and everything else is intact, I can totally see myself buying MGS3 YET AGAIN.

Except the grass... :/

3DS version
8fUmd.jpg

PS2 version
J8o6I.jpg

M3d10n

The added normal maps and subtle specular highlights really help adding detail to Snake's face. It looks much more flat in the original and in the HD collection. It's a shame they couldn't extend the same treatment to the scenery.

Also, the game would probably have benefited a lot from being able to use the 2nd core.

Top Bottom