• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima visits Guerrilla Games to show Death Stranding to the team

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fans would just call them "Death Strands", an abstract masterpiece merchandise. Never done before. WOW the attention to detail. WOW the symbolism.
GL with that game Hideo. Anyone who has sense would be depressed by how you blew your budget on celebrities and sold merchandise for a game that doesn't even make any sense. Alas, it doesn't even matter, you sold an incomplete game (if you really cared you would just quit than release incomplete shit or at least don't slap your name all over it like it's something to be proud of) and still people worship you for it.

My personal opinion is the haters are far more cancerous and anoying

Constantly appearing on Death Stranding article shitting on his fans and his works constantly reminding everyone they have zero interest for the game in the first place and continue regurgitating the same crap every single time

Guys not even finished his game and yet you guys already blowing shit up

Just sit back and let the guy finished his job first before you drop some final verdict

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Constantly appearing on Death Stranding article shitting on his fans and his works constantly reminding everyone they have zero interest for the game in the first place and continue regurgitating the same crap every single time

Just sit back and let the guy finished his job first before you drop some final verdict

Perfectly said!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey guys, you move a character.. it must be a clone of every other game in which you move a character. Let's pack it up, nothing else to see here.
hyperbole
/hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

Raynes

So we should only be jerking off Hideo even more? And how are you calling someone who has backed up his opinion with actual evidence a hater? It sounds to me like you're the more annoying one, shutting down a valid conversation about the lack of confidence some have with the route he's taking, very clearly becoming "HOLLYWOOD HIDEO" and "BUY MY MERCH FOR AN UNRELEASED GAME HIDEO". If you can't handle it and only want to jerk off Hideo, take your ass right onto the Death Stranding subreddit.

Last edited:

Dthomp

We should also put things in perspective. Their job is to sell you this video game, especially where there’s no new trailer/footage/demo etc. How many times have we heard Troy Baker say , “This is the biggest game I’ve worked on”. At least twice. I’m not hating on DS, I am very excited for KojiPro to work on something new. This deal with Sony is a great opportunity. But let’s curb our expectations a bit.

This was my thought exactly, and I can't imagine a world where GG would say anything negative. I mean Kojima has a SS there at GG so it isn't like they would come out and say this is dumb...

Personally for me, not sure anything will make me excited for this game. MGS is one of my all time favorite games but that was a long time ago and Kojima had people in place to reign in the batshit crazy we started to see in later MGS titles. I wish I felt different as single player story games are generally the most exciting games for me, but I really am not a fan of Norman Reedus and sure as heck don't want to play what looks? like a very slow moving game. Maybe someday there will be a demo of actual gameplay so that we can know what it is before we dub it a masterpiece or a complete failure. As of right now it's not much of anything, and GG isn't going to say anything negative to impact their game. In fact has any dev had access to another studios game and said it was shit?

mckmas8808

So we should only be jerking off Hideo even more? And how are you calling someone who has backed up his opinion with actual evidence a hater? It sounds to me like you're the more annoying one, shutting down a valid conversation about the lack of confidence some have with the route he's taking, very clearly becoming "HOLLYWOOD HIDEO" and "BUY MY MERCH FOR AN UNRELEASED GAME HIDEO". If you can't handle it and only want to jerk off Hideo, take your ass right onto the Death Stranding subreddit.

So liking a creator's work and looking forward to the next piece of work is now "jerking off" Hideo?

KOMANI

KOMANI
This was my thought exactly, and I can't imagine a world where GG would say anything negative. I mean Kojima has a SS there at GG so it isn't like they would come out and say this is dumb...

Personally for me, not sure anything will make me excited for this game. MGS is one of my all time favorite games but that was a long time ago and Kojima had people in place to reign in the batshit crazy we started to see in later MGS titles. I wish I felt different as single player story games are generally the most exciting games for me, but I really am not a fan of Norman Reedus and sure as heck don't want to play what looks? like a very slow moving game. Maybe someday there will be a demo of actual gameplay so that we can know what it is before we dub it a masterpiece or a complete failure. As of right now it's not much of anything, and GG isn't going to say anything negative to impact their game. In fact has any dev had access to another studios game and said it was shit?
100%. I’m not looking at Death Stranding as a Metal Gear successor. Is he using ideas during the Silent Hills development? Absolutely. Why not reuse a good idea? He’s done it before within Metal Gear. But even then, this isn’t “metal gear zero” or “silent hills”. This is Policenauts Kojima. That’s the vibe I get. I think there’s good reason to be skeptical but I also feel that this an exciting time for Kojipro. Let’s see what they got.

Fake

Hey guys, you move a character.. it must be a clone of every other game in which you move a character. Let's pack it up, nothing else to see here.
Well, at least no one sayed its a metrovania game yet.

mckmas8808

100%. I’m not looking at Death Stranding as a Metal Gear successor. Is he using ideas during the Silent Hills development? Absolutely. Why not reuse a good idea? He’s done it before within Metal Gear. But even then, this isn’t “metal gear zero” or “silent hills”. This is Policenauts Kojima. That’s the vibe I get. I think there’s good reason to be skeptical but I also feel that this an exciting time for Kojipro. Let’s see what they got.

The fact that it isn't like MGS make me MORE excited for it.

Pallas

Gold Member
It’s interesting and certainly a game I’ll be keeping an eye on but there just isn’t enough information out there to get excited or hyped over this. That twitter comment does nothing for me.

A bit off topic but this reminds me of every xbox thread.

Last edited:

Vaev

hyperbole
/hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

joke
/jōk/
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    "she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms:funny story, jest, witticism, quip, pleasantry;
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
    synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, satire, irony, scorn, sneering, scoffing, gibing, taunting;
    trenchancy, mordancy, acerbity;

Raynes

So liking a creator's work and looking forward to the next piece of work is now "jerking off" Hideo?

No, not what I said. Jerking him off would be what is going on here where people automatically have high expectations of a game a creator is making based on their earliest work, when they are pursuing an entirely different genre from their early work. It's like if people got excited for an upcoming abstract painting by Michelangelo even though he's never painted abstract before and has been a renaissance artist his whole life. It's exactly what's going on here, where people who were fans of Hideo for his JAPANESE spin on Western action are getting excited for his Hollywood spin on Western action, when they didn't even like the Hollywood bullshit he's been throwing into his previous games (PW and GZ/PP). Also turning a blind eye to other trends in his development style like selling merch for an unreleased game that has yet to make any sense and releasing an unfinished game with his blessing is also jerking him off.

If these people came inside this thread and praised Hideo for diverting funds from graphics, animation and gameplay into celebrity casting because they loved games with celebrities and barren open worlds as was the case with his last game and seems to be with DS, then that would not be jerking him off. That would be honest excitement, as it is based in reality and not delusion or wishful thinking of what Hideo used to make.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

No, not what I said. Jerking him off would be what is going on here where people automatically have high expectations of a game a creator is making based on their earliest work, when they are pursuing an entirely different genre from their early work. It's like if people got excited for an upcoming abstract painting by Michelangelo even though he's never painted abstract before and has been a renaissance artist his whole life. It's exactly what's going on here, where people who were fans of Hideo for his JAPANESE spin on Western action are getting excited for his Hollywood spin on Western action, when they didn't even like the Hollywood bullshit he's been throwing into his previous games (PW and GZ/PP). Also turning a blind eye to other trends in his development style like selling merch for an unreleased game that has yet to make any sense and releasing an unfinished game with his blessing is also jerking him off.

If these people came inside this thread and praised Hideo for diverting funds from graphics, animation and gameplay into celebrity casting because they loved games with celebrities and barren open worlds as was the case with his last game and seems to be with DS, then that would not be jerking him off. That would be honest excitement, as it is based in reality and not delusion or wishful thinking of what Hideo used to make.

Why are you blaming Hideo for MGS 5 being unfinished? You know that game was forced out of him. And to be honest to the other thing you said........I'm actually happy that he's working with a different genre. I'm on the mindset that he was too locked into MGS and it hurt is creativity.

R Raynes keep in mind that alot of us played "PT" and loved what that game did, even though it was Silent Hills unfinished. So that gave us an understanding that Kojima is 100% fine doing other genres considering PT is one of my favorite scary game experiences of my gaming life! And it wasn't even finished.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A bit off topic but this reminds me of every xbox thread.

If people were saying this game is going to be the greatest of its generation and make every other game look primitive, then it'd be like an Xbox thread.

There's little hyperbole and critically no throwing shade on the competition in threads on DS. Just some of us are excited about it.

bitbydeath

I never said something about clone. But red dead 2 is super linear when you are playing the story missions. Compare it to zelda botw and you might call red dead 2 the most linear open world game today.
But i think its open enough to not put it in the same group as last of us , uncharted and god of war.

99% of games are linear, I can think of just one game that isn’t. ‘No Man’s Sky’ and the only reason that isn’t linear is because you could never see everything in your lifetime. Do we really want that for every game though?

For open world games I think RDR2 was on the right path with random events. That makes things less linear to me as a gamer. Days Gone was said to have over 1200 of these a year or two ago so I’m looking forward to seeing that in action.

Hopefully it will soon become standard in the genre.

Some users clearly have a problem with Kojima and derailed the entire thread with their "enlightened" opinions and never stopped to think and say "why should I even bother with people who are clearly excited about Death Stranding?". Instead, they called his fans idiots for hyping up a game. Sometimes I wish the mods would ban those people for a day or two so they can leave their house and smell the fresh air for a bit. I've had my tantrums before and threw some when I'd see someone praise a dev or a game that I didn't like. I realized those games and dev aren't my cup of tea and from then on, I stopped making cynical posts targeted at fanbases that clearly enjoy the dev or game.

Speak good/neutral or be silent. Keep your intentions in check.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
MGSV was not really unfinished. there was a Reddit fake that said it was supposed to be 5 chapters and everyone ran with that. most games have unfinished maps, cut bosses, enemies, items, etc. nothing has leaked from MGSV. Chapter 51 came out but that was an unfinished cutscene that didn't effect the story and had a repeat boss fight that already happens 3 times in the game. no new maps. no lost cutscene scripts. what was unfinished? the game is a little unpolished, that's about it. the Skull Face car ride would have lighting and camerawork to it. maybe enemy guard positioning would have been tightened up. has anyone actually found anything that was planned but never finished? nope.

as soon as Konami decided Ground Zeroes would be sold as a separate game, rather than with the two parts together like in MGS2, Kojima knew he was fucked and came up with the ending before GZ was even out the door. notice how the ending is hidden in the hospital prologue, how Kojima literally had Big Boss mooning the audience in the first footage released from MGSV: TPP. that's funny.

im looking forward to this game. i have no illusions about celebrities charging absurd amounts of money for voice acting and motion capture work. that's not how that works. there are standard rates for these things, and these people genuinely seem to want to work WITH Kojima. so i'm looking forward to what they come up with. the game looks incredible. i don't get why people would complain about him diverting funds away from graphics, when he continuously produces the most advanced graphics around. people just love to hate on him w/o end.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
If people were saying this game is going to be the greatest of its generation and make every other game look primitive, then it'd be like an Xbox thread.

There's little hyperbole and critically no throwing shade on the competition in threads on DS. Just some of us are excited about it.

When has anyone said any Xbox game was going to be the greatest of this generation? If they did then it’s their opinion and as such not a popular opinion in the grand scheme of things.

I’m just pointing out that Xbox threads receive heavy criticism, but fans are excited about it and next gen, so obviously they are hyping it, just as fans of DS are going to hype it up. I just find it funny that some of those often in Xbox threads arguing and down playing are complaining about some who are complaining and even downplaying this.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

About Death Stranding, will it be compatible with PSVR?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
When has anyone said any Xbox game was going to be the greatest of this generation? If they did then it’s their opinion and as such not a popular opinion in the grand scheme of things.

I’m just pointing out that Xbox threads receive heavy criticism, but fans are excited about it and next gen, so obviously they are hyping it, just as fans of DS are going to hype it up. I just find it funny that some of those often in Xbox threads arguing and down playing are complaining about some who are complaining and even downplaying this.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Not to continue this derail, but I was referring to all the claims of how the next Xbox is going to crush the next Playstation and win the generation.

The point being when you compare x to y, both elements are in play in the discussion. So when a claim is made that x > y, its natural that people who don't believe that will chime in to argue why y > x.

Big diff betweeen making legitimate counter-points and the straight-up trolling/shitposting that's characterized every thread about DS.

Last edited:

Daymos

The more I see this stuff the more Kojima is reminding me of Hajime Tabata. I won't say if I like or dislike FFXV :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
No..no..no...that's not how it works around here buddy....

You see...people don't like being called idiot for liking certain thing....

Are you listening to me buddy ? Do you actually understand what I'm saying? It's quite simple though....

How did I know this was Monsterkillah without even looking at your username. Is that like the 48th member you have reported? How is the lawsuit going for defamation?

And stop calling people buddy.

Last edited:
It's so stupid that there even is a stigma to "walking sims". Like do people not understand that everything doesn't need to be a twitchy twin shooter?

no. but it can be one of these classic games that has fun quirky gameplay thats enjoyable on its own. not every game needs to be a movie.

Holgren

Maybe these people have automatic excitement because they have enjoyed all of the creator's previous work, even though not all of them are of the same caliber. Maybe they are automatically excited because they are seeing one of their favorite game developer explore new genres and ideas instead of being locked in the same franchise (how would someone not be excited about Michelangelo trying abstract painting?). They are excited because ultimately, these people you insist on shitting genuinely enjoy their games and the stories he provides.

But really, that is not the point here. The point is, what the fuck do you care? If you and Spukc were here to express your suspicions about Kojima's next work and how he handles his budget of the game (which is unreleased and you're shitting on it like you have finished it already) then that would be okay. But both of you came here to treat his fanbase as idiots and jerkoffs because of their excitement. Just because you dislike the guy or his latest games doesn't give you an authority to insult and disparage his fanbase, since all of it is completely subjective. Get off your high horse and relax, learn to express your ideas without insulting others.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Sony first party developer praises Sony funded exclusive game made by a producer who mostly focuses on Sony consoles.
Riveting stuff.

Are they gonna show us that... *checks notes*... "intriguing, beautiful, touching, mysterious, amazing, artistic, thrilling, engaging, inspiring, masterful" game?
Do we even know what the f*ck is this game supposed to be? We've had a couple of trailers and I still have no idea what in God's name am I watching.
Is it a shooter? A classic Sony third-person walking and shooting adventure game? A rip-off of Resident Evil 4? Hideo Kojima presents Pan's Labyrinth starring Norman Reedus?

Stop with the mystery and pretentiousness, Kojima. Just because the general public fellates you and your utterly mediocre games doesn't mean you suddenly become Stanley Kubrick.

The story is linear, but the areas you play in aren't.

anthony-vaccaro-vaccaroanthony-uncharted4-madagascar-01.jpg
That's a large level with one main path. Its like crisis 2.

You people lol

SonGoku

Kojima is such a breath of fresh air in the industry, im glad Sony financed him
Great cinematic games, with great gameplay and no sjw agenda shoved in

A.Romero

I love Kojima's work and I'm eagarly awaiting for DS. However, I too would prefer if he didn't invest in celebrities and such. There is really good talent in the industry. No need to go seek it elsewhere.

I don't think the game will be a revolution nor the best game ever and I don't care. I just want to see more games from him. The game following DS might be his last game so he could make a Mario Kart clone for all I care and I'd still pre-order it and be hyped as hell. Kojima and the Kojipro team have given me many hours of entertainment and, for me, have created some of the best games in history. They haven't done anything to make me doubt his capability of delivering a good game (for my tastes).

Even if DS is a walking simulator (not my cup of tea), I'd still give it a chance. If anyone can make me try different stuff is him.

Is it blind faboyism? Yes. Is it wrong? Only if I was spending other people's money to get his games. I'm not so...

I think people should criticize Kojima and his games all they want, just not criticize the fanboys. What's the point?

Its same with DQXI and Xenoblade Chronicles 1&2, those games also linear but have big areas to explore. There is nothing wrong with linear games.
Bullshit. Those games have subquests and many character choices.

There is nothing wrong with linear games no. But these Sony games are linear, though that's not really the problem with them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bullshit. Those games have subquests and many character choices.

There is nothing wrong with linear games no. But these Sony games are linear, though that's not really the problem with them.
Uncharted series are not RPGs to have side quests. We crazy amount of open world games these days, its more than okay to also have some linear games.

Last edited:
Uncharted series are not RPGs to have side quests. We crazy amount of open world these days, its more than okay to also have some linear games.
Look dood. The person I was responding to said they weren't linear... They are. That's the extent of my point. Linear is fine, my problem is the scripted and cinematic nature of UC.

SonGoku

Look dood. The person I was responding to said they weren't linear... They are. That's the extent of my point. Linear is fine, my problem is the scripted and cinematic nature of UC.
But Uncharted is unique in that, without it which game would satisfy that thirst?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The story is linear, but the areas you play in aren't
mckmas8808 said the story is linear but it has open area to explore.

SonGoku

Shit. Tomb raider, enslaved Odyssey to the west, prince of Persia 2008 off the top of my head.

And now god of war.
None of those do it like uncharted, they lack that unchartedness
ND has its flaws but they are masters in their craft of linear cinematic games, nobody does it like them, can't really find that same experience elsewhere

Last edited:
None of those do it like uncharted, they lack that unchardteness
ND has its flaws but they are masters in their craft of linear cinematic games, nobody does like them, can't really find that same experience elsewhere
Enslaved is way the heck better than any uncharted.

Top Bottom