• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima warns people who are already interested in buying Death Stranding to not watch the upcoming TGS demos

Thabass

The problem is if it's a new type of action, I need to see what it is. How do I even know that I'll like it? I guess that's how we used to figure it out...just play it back in the 90's. I dunno, I'll need to see SOMETHING to see know what kind of game it is before I play.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well someone understands it i guess.
i fucking hate modern trailers.
as they spoil so much of the movie

why would he release his last movie exclusively on the ps4 tho ?

-edit- it was just a fucking joke kojima is my fave kaiju

Last edited:

Tipton32

Definitely going to watch. I’m still on the fence with this game. There’s been quite a few games I totally regret buying day 1 due to falling for the hype. I’m hoping kojima delivers the goods and then some.

Thabass

One hour presentation and still no confirmation of a PC version.

Come on, Koji-sama. Don't keep us waiting.

There won't be a PC version announced until sometime after release. Keep it out of your mind for now, because it won't be announced tomorrow.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's a shame he's catering to the haters who won't be buying the game regardless but here we are.

You're seriously exaggerating, people have right to know what king of a game DS actually is. We're living in an age where people with at least quarter of a brain don't even blindly buy well established, over a decade-old franchises, let alone a completely new title out of nowhere. Especially from someone as crazy as Kojima is. Just cut out the cut-scenes and leave pure gameplay, like, you know, all the other publishes are doing for decades? How hard can it be?

Last edited:

NahaNago

I need to watch the video. I can't buy a game after seeing only gameplay of walking and making a bridge.

edit: I almost forgot about that terrible fighting we had seen in the last trailer.

Vawn

Banned
It's a shame developers are forced to ruin their own games by showing too much, but it's the only way to sell them.

Its refreshing to at least see a developer say this out loud.

Yumi

Oof. Gonna be hard to avoid. I bet every video game news publication is waiting to finally explain what Death Stranding will be.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're seriously exaggerating, people have right to know what king of a game DS actually is. We're living in an age where people with at least quarter of a brain don't even blindly buy well established, over a decade-old franchises, let alone a completely new title out of nowhere. Especially from someone as crazy as Kojima is. Just cut out the cut-scenes and leave pure gameplay, like, you know, all the other publishes are doing for decades? How hard can it be?

I get what you are saying, but man, how did gamers ever survive the 80's and a lot of the 90's? Even without demos. We had a short paragraph and 3 to 4 screenshots the size of a postage stamp if we were lucky. :pie_roffles:

Javthusiast

Banned
Oh damn it. I wanna go in as fresh as possible, cause as opposed to the many whiners who think we should get even more gameplay than we already got, cause god forbid a big triple a game keeps mysteries till release instead of feeding us every little thing, but it will still be so hard not to watch it.

And before the comments come, you don't have to pre-order or buy the game at launch, you can wait for reviews and gameplay on day 1 instead of urging Kojima to reveal everything now.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
We're living in an age where people with at least quarter of a brain don't even blindly buy well established, over a decade-old franchises, let alone a completely new title out of nowhere.
lol how can they "blindy buy" something that is "well established"? wouldn't all that establishment, you know, establish that the game will be good? Kojima has established a name for himself by releasing well acclaimed games for decades now. ignoring this seems pretty silly.

also lol @ pretending other companies don't use cutscenes to advertise their game. lol. you don't seem to be making any sense at all w these complaints.
I get what you are saying, but man, how did gamers ever survive the 80's and a lot of the 90's? Even without demos. We had a short paragraph and 3 to 4 screenshots the size of a postage stamp if we were lucky. :pie_roffles:
i don't know, somehow we managed. certainly a couple games i bought turned out to be turkeys but it wasn't the end of the fucking world. some people seem to have trouble managing disappointment.

Last edited:

Well the NES era as far as I remember was for every good game there was at least ten shitty ones, just watch AVGN and the ammount of garbage released on the NES is staggering.

Cravis

This is the game that made me upgrade to a Pro. I have an X and was complacent with that being my 4K machine but after the actual game was shown, there was no way I could not experience this in anything less than 4K.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well the NES era as far as I remember was for every good game there was at least ten shitty ones, just watch AVGN and the ammount of garbage released on the NES is staggering.

You're right, for every SMB3, we had 10 Bayou Billy's (that purchase still stings). Getting games on Xmas was like the original loot boxes when you popped them in and rolled the dice.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The problem is if it's a new type of action, I need to see what it is. How do I even know that I'll like it? I guess that's how we used to figure it out...just play it back in the 90's. I dunno, I'll need to see SOMETHING to see know what kind of game it is before I play.

Well, action gameplay has historically always been about putting the player in situations where he needs to input something in a pre-determined window of time. If that's fighting, climbing, talking or having sex it wouldn't matter to someone who's good at action games.

Not taking a jab at you, just pointing something out.

The idea is that you won't suck, it doesn't matter what the dressing is. And you'll also probably enjoy the challenge due to its nature and intensity. So... yeah, if it's an action game and you like action gameplay, genre is sort of irrelevant.

Granted, people do pick games primarily because of genre and theme, so Kojima's doing the best he could do here. He's warning the fans who want a cool surprise and he's also doing Marketing a solid and giving people who need the aesthetic a way to evaluate the game too!

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I'm interested for sure and I feel like I almost have to watch videos and Twitch streams now just to make sure these games are worth buying. I typically have no issues with minor spoilers in the beginning as long as having them can bring me to and informed decision about buying the game.

Generic

It's a shame developers are forced to ruin their own games by showing too much, but it's the only way to sell them.

Its refreshing to at least see a developer say this out loud.
Hm, no? As a game designer he has the obligation to show the game's basic. If the game was free I would understand Kojima, but it's $60.

Also, it's just 50 minutes of footage. The game will probably have dozen of hours of content.

GHG

Gold Member

I'm not exaggerating at all.

The synopsis and gameplay snippets already give you an idea of what the game's about. Either you're interested/intrigued by the concept or you aren't.

If not, you can wait for reviews and/or player impressions. But no, some people have to know everything immediately so that they can run out and pre-purchase something without really knowing the quality of the final product.

Your usual marketing cycle involves showing off the best bits and set pieces of games in order to sell pre-orders. Then people wonder why what they've seen isn't consistent across a 10-20 hour experience and rush to the Internet to cry and bitch about it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's the Internet in 2019, people are going to moan regardless.

So my view is, if I were Kojima I wouldn't do anything that I didn't want to do. If people don't like what they see, they don't have to buy it. Have faith in the product you've created, the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
As a game designer he has the obligation to show the game's basic. If the game was free I would understand Kojima, but it's $60.

Well, an obligation to the fans is a bit of a stretch, but I do figure that's exactly what his Sony contract says. There's no way Sony's letting that game out into the wild with no gameplay blowout.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hm, no? As a game designer he has the obligation to show the game's basic. If the game was free I would understand Kojima, but it's $60.

Also, it's just 50 minutes of footage. The game will probably have dozen of hours of content.

There are plenty of footage of gameplay already. The basic ones. You had traversal, shooting, upside down warping, ladders, pissing on shrooms, baby comforting, hand to hand, package drops and pickups, waypoint stations, helping others online in some form, etc., etc..

And I barely even watched some of these, yet I had a grasp of the basics so far.

People seem frustrated they don't have the entire premise, which is probably intertwined a lot with the story, so you spoil one with the other if told/shown too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Have some people not realised that a big part of some games is the act of discovering and figuring things out by yourself for the first time.

Imagine spoiling yourself by using a guide/walkthrough for a soulsborne game... What's the point? You're just robbing yourself of half the experience. In a lot of the best games ever made satisfaction is derived by learning/discovery, and then using those things to progress further.

Bryank75

Banned

250 yoyo's for the BB edition....

Last edited:

Barnabot

I'm not full of money to go wild with lottery Kojima you madman. I will watch everything related to the gameplay before deciding to buy the game or not.

So many mediocre games I've dodged by doing that.

I have a tendency to strongly dislike acclaimed games, happened with Horizon for last, but with BotW too, for example, and The Mgsv burn still hurts, so even if going blind would be fantastic, sadly I HAVE to see the gameplay, at the current status could really be everything
And even if he said is action adventure, some elements could make the game unplayable for me - BotW breaking weapons, without them Probably BotW could have been in my top 10 ever -

I'm sorry, Mr. Kojima

But, if the game is like the one I dream, I swear I'll preorder it tomorrow morning, Immediately after the demo

Last edited:
That's cute but I'm still going to check out any gameplay videos that pop up. Well...more like skim one or two to confirm some shit. =P

Top Bottom