• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was too expensive apparently

DrArchon

Shocking news. Kojima seems like enough of a detail oriented guy that he'd spend any amount of money to make a game meet his vision. Auteurs like him are great for fans like us, but he must've been a huge headache for Konami, especially when they're looking at mobile and pachislot and thinking "Shit! Look at what we could be doing with that money!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, it is pretty much the same reason Irrational got shut down with Ken Levine's inability to ship a product.

They arguably moved development of the series to an even more expensive location assuming the Hangar 13 speculation is true, but presumably expect them to ship on a more reasonable schedule/budget due to better production management.

That the guy who founded Hangar 13 was the same person who was brought in to make BioShock Infinite shippable and actually got the game done says a lot.

That said, I'm not sure who they intend to get to replace him. There's not many people in Japan who handle projects at this scale.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Not related but can we stop using the suffix "gate" for things like this? "KojimaGate" sounds extremely dumb.
"Watergate" was the only case where it was appropriate to use. Apparently, writing "scandal" or "controversy" is too much for some people.

Ridley327

He is definitely in that generation of creative leads that are just as guilty of dragging on development as they flip-flopped on decisions, like Itagaki and Nomura. Kojima at least had the sales and the critical acclaim to back it up, but with how Konami is restructuring their business, there's no place for a type like him in that culture.

Elandyll

Banned
That's really nothing unexpected for a director at his level imo.

Some people at Konami just thought they could go on with the franchise he created but without the perfectionist at the helm.

Fuck Konami.

I always imagined Kojima's games were pretty expensive to make. If this is true then I can imagine why the new CEO "hated" him (now we know Kojima didn't have an affair with Konami's CEO's wife =P).

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the game would sell enough to earn back all the money spent on the game.

Erasing his name and his companies names from the box is still inexcusable though regardless of the reason why he was fired. It's just a petty move.

moered6

Banned
Well, it is pretty much the same reason Irrational got shut down with Ken Levine's inability to ship a product.

They arguably moved development of the series to an even more expensive location assuming the Hangar 13 speculation is true, but presumably expect them to ship on a more reasonable schedule/budget due to better production management.

That the guy who founded Hangar 13 was the same person who was brought in to make BioShock Infinite shippable and actually got the game done says a lot.

That said, I'm not sure who they intend to get to replace him. There's not many people in Japan who handle projects at this scale.

wasn't that Rod Fergusson?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...k-infinite-out-the-door-is-leaving-irrational

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
When MGSV releases as the best selling video game of all time, Konami will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

P.S this explains Ground Zeroes

Probably explains why there's no fucking marketing for this game.

its pretty weird in the past week the Playstation social media accounts in europe and japan have been promoting the game mostly due to the console bundle so it will be interesting to see if konami would put out the tv adverts themselves or rely on sony to do it.

I thought it was obvious that Kojima was always given a blank check. Not only for MGS either, just look at Castlevania and Silent Hill.

IGA and Hulett were stuck trying to squeeze blood from a stone with shoestring budgets game and game and then Kojima gets handed the reigns and suddenly you have games with Patrick Stewart and Norman Reedus.

Not a surprise. Kojima's exit from Konami pretty much marks the end of the video game industry's equivalent of "New Hollywood" era.

There have been fewer and fewer auteur-driven games at the AAA level, mostly over the last 10 years (Clover being closed down is the first big example of this that comes to mind), and you likely won't see many more after MGSV releases.

Walpurgis

Banned
So Kojima was fired for being Kojima... There is a reason why the man is so great. Give an artist some room to breathe Konami.
not really. if they are not making much profit from the work he does
His games sell very well so I am sure they are.
"Watergate" was the only case where it was appropriate to use. Apparently, writing "scandal" or "controversy" is too much for some people.
Agreed. I don't like it at all. People should just let gamergate stay dead.

Exile20

Sounds like the reason everyone suspected. He's no fit for Konami, a company that wants to just produce cheap shit for maximum profit if possible.

What the hell?

We had how many mgs? Lots.

Obviously it wasn't working out businesswise anymore with how high budgets are then it makes sense.

Then if you aren't mixing well within the company then yes they have to get rid of you. They kept him for a pretty long time tho.

People have no clue how corporations work?

Apathy

Didn't his games make back the money they poured into it + whatever his cost was? If this is really a big deal why fire him now and not a long time ago like after 4?

Jindrax

What I don't get it is, if this is really the reason, why go all dick move and remove his name from everything.

But fuck all the money he actually brings in for Konami, though. Right?

I mean, do you know how much money he's brought in compared to how much he's chewed through? You can earn millions for a company, but it's worthless if you're losing 10s of millions.

It's cool to be detail oriented and want to deliver a great project, but it's still important to be able to stay on top of a budget and schedule. It's pretty selfish to act like it's ok if fans get something they enjoy, regardless of what it costs anyone else

And even if he used to earn him money years ago, if his recent work is costing them tons, then yes, he deserves to be fired. I don't think it's right to give someone a pass simply because they did a good job years ago.

JordanN

Banned

In Kojima's case though, his portfolio of games is way bigger. Shipping not just Metal Gear games but stuff like Zone of the Enders as well.

Ken only had what? Bioshock 1 and then a 7 year gap for Bioshock 2?

Ridley327

I thought it was obvious that Kojima was always given a blank check. Not only for MGS either, just look at Castlevania and Silent Hill.

IGA and Hulett were stuck trying to squeeze blood from a stone with shoestring budgets game and game and then Kojima gets handed the reigns and suddenly you have games with Patrick Stewart and Norman Reedus.

Not to mention that some of the licensed music we've heard in MGS5 are REALLY well known songs, which can't be cheap at all.

Neff

If Kojima was irresponsible with money, then it wouldn't surprise me. I always thought his games ever since Snatcher were needlessly decadent in a lot of ways.

I wouldn't change a single one, though.

_woLf

Considering Kojima's work is arguably one of the largest factors as to why Konami rose to the position it once was in, he should be able to do what he wants.

It's pretty common for a ton of assets to not be used in a final game.

Kain

That's called making an investment. If you have a guy in a company that costs a ton to maintain, is a general pain in the ass, but in the end he ends up bringing huge profits, the company should be more than happy to have him/her. Most companies have people like that as they are usually the ones that have all the great ideas.

MGSV is going to sell a shit ton of copies and will absolutely recover the investment. So I call bullshit, Konami execs cannot be that stupid to let go a guy like that because "he is expensive".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In Kojima's case though, his portfolio of games is way bigger. Shipping not just Metal Gear games but stuff like Zone of the Enders as well.

Ken only had what? Bioshock 1 and then a 7 year gap for Bioshock 2?
Uhhh, no. His career did not start with Bioshock.

Nzyme32

What I will find amusing is when Konami start bringing in the money from MGS V. I'm fairly certain it will be are more popular and successful game than they expect, and I suspect there may be some regret when they inevitably attempt an MGS game without Kojima and probably see that the effect isn't replicated

Top Bottom