• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Acknowledges 'Excitement and Enthusiasm' for More Castlevania Amid Dead Cells DLC Launch

Draugoth

Gold Member

adfd95c79fddec38e45d271a9a023a9e2f5b3668871c2e6c.png

Much like its bloodsucking antagonist, Castlevania has lain dormant for many years, but Konami's classic vampire-slaying franchise is finally beginning to awaken thanks to projects like Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania:

"Is 'isekai' a buzzword ? Because this is how I would define this storyline," Taniguchi told IGN in a new interview. "Let's just say that Dracula's Castle teleported on the Beheaded's Island and what happened on the island stays on the island."
Taniguchi wouldn't say what the Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania means for the broader franchise, which hasn't seen a proper release since 2014's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (the successful Netflix series aside), but did acknowledge the "excitement and enthusiasm of the fans online," which is "really motivating for [Konami]."

We tried to bring back the games that people loved and cherished with the Castlevania Anniversary Collection and the Castlevania Advance Collection, we also brought back Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night for our PlayStation fans and on mobile, and launched Grimoire of Souls on Apple Arcade to celebrate the lore of the franchise," Taniguchi said. "But we know that our fans always want more, and we do too, so this opportunity to have this amazing crossover with Dead Cells was impossible to pass up on.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

"We acknowledge your excitement and enthusiasm for Castlevania, but won't do anything about it"

-Konami, probably
Unless it's the complete opposite, lol. We'll get a Castlevania stream where they're gonna announce 5 new games, a movie, etc. Just like Silent Hill. Overwhelming bliss.

Woopah

They've already announced their Silent Hill projects, I think this year we hear about their Castlevania and Metal Gear projects.

NT80

They did a great job with Castlevania Rebirth. That was one of the best action platformer style CV's I've played.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would like to see make a castlevania game more akin to Zelda oot. Or that may be to similar to the new god of war though.

radewagon

It's hard to overstate just how much I love the Castlevania series. Circle of the Moon is why I bought a GBA. Dawn of Sorrow is why I got a DS. Dracula X Chronicles is the reason I got my PSP. I love the series so much that it is basically a system seller for me.

That said, its influence has been so far reaching that not having Castlevania hasn't been too much of a burden. With games like the following existing, a lack of a true Castlevania is more on an annoyance than anything else.
  • Bloodstained
  • Hollow Knight
  • Shovel Knight
  • Blasphemous
  • Bloodborne
  • Dark Souls
  • Dead Cells (yeah, the new DLC is phenomenal)
Konami's leaving money on the table, for sure, though. Here's hoping they work on a new game.

Doom85

They've already announced their Silent Hill projects, I think this year we hear about their Castlevania and Metal Gear projects.

Hopefully. They acknowledge in the Silent Hill announcements video how development teams have been approaching them with Silent Hill proposals ever since Silent Hills’ cancellation, I imagine its the same with their other major IPs.

I think that a new console/pc castlevania will be a soulsborne clone like lords of the fallen or mortal shell probably outsourced to some european developer. hopefully we get a nice 2d one also

Last edited:

Woopah

Hopefully. They acknowledge in the Silent Hill announcements video how development teams have been approaching them with Silent Hill proposals ever since Silent Hills’ cancellation, I imagine its the same with their other major IPs.
The original rumours from VGC were that there would be revivals of all three franchise.

I predict that we see the MGS games at the PS Showcase and Castlevania games at a Nintendo Direct.

Mr Hyde

If Konami lacks motivation or resources to produce any of their IPs in house, I'm perfectly fine with them outsourcing their IPs to competent developers who put a fresh/new spin on it, like here in Dead Cells. Castlevania is a perfect fit for DC, and puts CV in a spotlight that perhaps Konami never could've done by themselves. However, I must acknowledge Konamis retro collections, they have been outstanding, which is why I'm so hyped for Suikoden collection, which is my favorite series from them.

Top Bottom