• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces results;breaks down game sales by platform

Consolidated Results for the First Half ended September 30, 2008

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/0809/english/supplemental.pdf

- Konami announce that their consolidated net revenues and consolidated operating income for the first half ended September 30, 2008 were ¥146,904 million (109.8 % of the same period in the previous year) and ¥22,844 million (175.2 % of the same period of the previous year).

-METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS for PlayStation 3 was released simultaneously worldwide. The total number of the copies shipped has already passed the four million mark and the sales are still steadily increasing

konami_thumb.jpg

gtj1092

Wait they make HD games and not only that the majority of their sales comes from supposedly one of the most expensive games ever made. This can't be right. Or maybe just maybe some company's are mismanaged.

Steroyd

-METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS for PlayStation 3 was released simultaneously worldwide. The total number of the copies shipped has already passed the four million mark and the sales are still steadily increasing

:D

Parmenides said:
Good for you, Konami! And that's very classy of you not hastily announcing any sort of plans for ports. CAPCOM!!!!

linsivvi

gtj1092 said:
Wait they make HD games and not only that the majority of their sales comes from supposedly one of the most expensive games ever made. This can't be right. Or maybe just maybe some company's are mismanaged.

Well, the supposedly most expensive production cost were paid in previous years, and all the money they poured into the game was finally being paid back this quarter. Is it really that strange that they are profitable this quarter?

Edit: And looking at the breakdown, they have a healthy split of unit sales across all platforms, and over 50% coming from handheld and SD consoles.

Also holy shit at their arcade profit. I thought arcade were supposed to be dying and not making any money.

gtj1092

linsivvi said:
Well, the supposedly most expensive production cost were paid in previous years, and all the money they poured into the game was finally being paid back this quarter. Is it really that strange that they are profitable this quarter?

Edit: And looking at the breakdown, they have a healthy split of unit sales across all platforms, and over 50% coming from handheld and SD consoles.

Also holy shit at their arcade profit. I thought arcade were supposed to be dying and not making any money.

I don't understand how that doesn't apply to every game ever made. Unless you believe that the games with yearly iterations such as madden cost more every year to develop than MGS4. And not only that games like madden sale millions more than MGS. A majority of sega's sales are also on SD and handhelds and they still lost money.

Jonnyram

cw_sasuke said:
Pathetic 360 Sales.....
If you look at the pie chart, the PS3 sales were the same up until April 2008, suggesting that MGS4 was basically responsible for 39% of their Q2 sales :lol Konami is in a rough patch though, they could see pretty hard times for the next year or so.

Insignificant 360 revenue. Well, they don't have much game for the console.
Great PS3 revenue. Is this purely from MGS?
Where did the Wii revenue came from?

And nice seeing Tierkreis being mentioned.

Spiegel

New games in April-September :

PSP:
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Japan)
- Hellboy: Science of Evil (America & Europe)

Wii:
- Target Terror (America)
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Japan)
- MLB Power Pros 2008 (America)
- Lost in Blue (Japan & America)
- DDR Hottest Party (America)
- Deca Sports (America & Europe)
- Gradius ReBirth (WiiWare Japan)

PS2:
- DDR SuperNova (Australia)
- BeatMania IIDX 14 Gold (Japan)
- J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Japan)
- D.Gray-man: Sousha no Shikaku (Japan)

PS3:
- Silent Hill: Homecoming (30/09 America)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Worldwide)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Japan)

NDS:
- Hanayori Danshi: Koi Seyo Onago (Japan)
- New International Track & Field (Worldwide)
- Kirarin * Revolution: Minna de Odorou Furi Furi Debut! (Japan)
- Quiz Magic Academy DS (Japan)

360:
- Frogger 2 (XBLA America & Europe)
- Coffeetime Crosswords (XBLA America & Japan)

PS3: 38%
PS2: 18%
Wii: 17%
PSP: 11%
NDS: 11%
360: 3%

Minsc

Gold Member
Parmenides said:

max-pain said:
“METAL GEAR” series continued to sell well - sold over 4 million units

Looks at PDF and sees max-pain is correct.

:lol :lol :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How will they be able to fully care about anything that's not the Metal Gear IP?

Zzoram

So Metal Gear Series = that compilation of MGS 1-3 for PS2, in addition to MGS4? What else would be included in that? Did MGO get any DLC?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
bring back Coded Arms Assault Konami , this time with MGS4 engine

spwolf said:
1.83 mil PES08 in Q2? That crazy...

it's the best game for the most popular sport in the world so yeah :D

TTP said:
So you can afford ZOE3 now right?

screw ZOE3 , I want Gemon on HD system with waggle !!

Oh I want ZOE 3 but not if they replace Dingo Egret <3 with that stupid crybaby from ZOE 1 , I hope Dingo Egret become the the main hero

Spiegel

Zzoram said:
So Metal Gear Series = that compilation of MGS 1-3 for PS2, in addition to MGS4? What else would be included in that? Did MGO get any DLC?

"That" compilation was released in March (America), the shipments were counted in Q4 FY2008.

Pretty much all the METAL GEAR shipments (4.33 Millions) of the last six months are from MGS4

DMeisterJ

Banned
Minsc said:
Looks at PDF and sees max-pain is correct.

:lol :lol :lol

So what other Metal Gear games are being shipped like that? The last Metal Gear Solids to come out were Portable Ops and +, and that was over a year ago. >_> I'm sure that most, if not all, of the sales of the "Metal Gear" part are easily from MGS4. Not unless the MGS1/2/3 essential collection is selling like gangbusters. @_@

kswiston

max-pain said:
“METAL GEAR” series continued to sell well - sold over 4 million units"

Considering the Metal gear series sold all of 500k copies from apr 07 - Sep 07 (including initial European sales from Portable Ops with launched in May 07), I think it's safe to say that MGS4 shipments account for almost, if not over, 4 million of those 4.33 million units shiped apr-sept 08. No other MGS games were released in that time frame, and legacy sales for the other games in the series are not going to be much higher than they were last year.

Minsc

Gold Member
DMeisterJ said:
So what other Metal Gear games are being shipped like that? The last Metal Gear Solids to come out were Portable Ops and +, and that was over a year ago. >_> I'm sure that most, if not all, of the sales of the "Metal Gear" part are easily from MGS4. Not unless the MGS1/2/3 essential collection is selling like gangbusters. @_@

It's really just amusing that one would substitute in the wording clearly not used in the original article. When Starcraft 2 was announced, I believe it tipped sales of the original back in to some charts. The metal gear series is a much heavier story based game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the previous entries or compilations sold more than normal with the release of a new, anticipated addition to the series. Regardless, it was really just the choice of substituting Konami's chosen use of "series" to a specific title that amused me so much. While MGS4 has sold very well, I am not sure it was well enough to retain 4+ million of the sales out of the 4+ million actual sales from the "series."

Neo C.

Konami needs more good DS games. Of course, Castlevania, Lunar Knights and Contra aren't bad, but one should expect to see more titles from one of the bigger publishers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neo C. said:
Konami needs more good DS games. Of course, Castlevania, Lunar Knights and Contra aren't bad, but one should expect to see more titles from one of the bigger publishers.
They've released a TON of games for the DS. Most people want to see those series hit consoles at this point.

spwolf

Spiegel said:

PSP:

Wii:
- Target Terror (America)
- Lost in Blue (Japan & America)
- DDR Hottest Party (America)
- Deca Sports (America & Europe)
- Gradius ReBirth (WiiWare Japan)

PS2:
- DDR SuperNova (Australia)
- BeatMania IIDX 14 Gold (Japan)
- J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Japan)
- D.Gray-man: Sousha no Shikaku (Japan)

PS3:

NDS:

360:

doesnt make sense to show just new games - 16% of their sales was PES, which is 08 version...

Spiegel said:
PS3:

360:

:lol kinda hard for frogger and coffee time to generate sales in the same ball park as MGS4

Neo C.

dark10x said:
They've released a TON of games for the DS. Most people want to see those series hit consoles at this point.
Increasing the Wii output is fine and all, but I think the DS userbase is still big enough to justify more software releases.

Spiegel said:

PSP:

NDS:

so, 2 psp games generate equal revenue compared to 5 nds games? am I reading that right, or developer should really start developing more games on psp

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neo C. said:
Increasing the Wii output is fine and all, but I think the DS userbase is still big enough to justify more software releases.
I don't really want them to waste anymore time on the Wii or the DS, to be honest. :\ They've barely released enough games this gen as it is. Their DS output far outpaces any other platform.

linsivvi

gtj1092 said:
I don't understand how that doesn't apply to every game ever made. Unless you believe that the games with yearly iterations such as madden cost more every year to develop than MGS4. And not only that games like madden sale millions more than MGS. A majority of sega's sales are also on SD and handhelds and they still lost money.

Because Konami seldom spend so much money on a game like MGS, while EA has multiple big budget projects being developed concurrently?

How can people still be so blind to ignore the simple, undisputable fact that you need more people and more men hours to develop HD games? Do you think people work for free?

Callibretto said:
so, 2 psp games generate equal revenue compared to 5 nds games? am I reading that right, or developer should really start developing more games on psp

Yakyuu = baseball. Japan loves itself some baseball.

It also helps boost the PS3 sales over the 360 because there is no 360 version of Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5.
Oh, and I guess MGS4 helps too lol

Michan

Callibretto said:
Their DS output was pretty poor. Powerful Pro is a beast in Japan, and could probably single-handedly outsell everything on that DS list.

Minsc said:
It's really just amusing that one would substitute in the wording clearly not used in the original article. When Starcraft 2 was announced, I believe it tipped sales of the original back in to some charts. The metal gear series is a much heavier story based game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the previous entries or compilations sold more than normal with the release of a new, anticipated addition to the series. Regardless, it was really just the choice of substituting Konami's chosen use of "series" to a specific title that amused me so much. While MGS4 has sold very well, I am not sure it was well enough to retain 4+ million of the sales out of the 4+ million actual sales from the "series."

Look at the chart.

Minsc said:

Anyone buying back-catalog Metal Gear games for PSOne or PS2 would likely be doing so used, Konami wouldn't see any of that money.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Anyone buying back-catalog Metal Gear games for PSOne or PS2 would likely be doing so used, Konami wouldn't see any of that money.

they have the whole collection mgs 1-3 for $30 if I remember right. I already have mgs 2 and 3 and even I was tempted to buy the collection just for mgs 1

Top Bottom