• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces TurboGrafx16 Mini, PC Engine Mini, and Engine Core Grafx Mini

KellyM

I am on board with this mini system. I already own the Nes and Snes and will be getting the Genesis mini. This will go well with the others. The Turbografx and PC Engine had many underrated great games,

KOMANI

KOMANI
I had not known that HudsonSoft & NEC collaborated on the Pc Engine/Turbogfx 16. Now it makes more sense. This is no different than Capcom’s arcade stick ROM collection.

Japanese listed games
D80pUtUW4AUCsWi.jpg

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I had not known that HudsonSoft & NEC collaborated on the Pc Engine/Turbogfx 16. Now it makes more sense. This is no different than Capcom’s arcade stick ROM collection.

Hudson did all the design - and in fact got as far as having the chips fabbed and prototype boards built before they concluded they didn't have the financial strength needed to do the mass production and marketing, especially once the CD-ROM system was included.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Hudson did all the design - and in fact got as far as having the chips fabbed and prototype boards built before they concluded they didn't have the financial strength needed to do the mass production and marketing, especially once the CD-ROM system was included.
I just heard that Konami bought all of the pc engine/turbografx’s library.

Read somewhere that the whole library is $20,000. It will be interesting how they approach this.

Bullet Club

The console will come in three designs. The Japanese market will get the original white PC Engine, while Europe will get the CoreGrafx revision (which was basically just a different case colour). In the US, players will get the TurboGrafx-16 case design, which was larger to appeal to American sensibilities.

Hopefully Australia gets the CoreGrafx version as well. That's the best looking one.

Trimesh

Banned
I just heard that Konami bought all of the pc engine/turbografx’s library.

Read somewhere that the whole library is $20,000. It will be interesting how they approach this.

Konami bought Hudson Soft back in about 2012, so they would have already had rights to a lot of the best games on the PC engine platform. I guess it's possible that someone else was holding the distribution rights though.

Hopefully Australia gets the CoreGrafx version as well. That's the best looking one.

Probably - Australia has pretty much always been considered as part of the European distribution area - probably because of the 220V / 50Hz / PAL thing.

Last edited:

Dazrael

How can you possibly make the white PC Engine even more mini? It was that size to begin with.

It’s an interesting but cheap win for Konami, let’s hope they don’t pull a Sony with this,

Kadve

Cant watch video right now but Will there be different games on tg16 and pc-e? Or are they just for different markets? And why is supergrafx a seperate mini console when only 6 games where ever released for it.

Last edited:
I put this as a wildcard guess on my E3 Bingo card.

Glad it is finally happening.

If M2 are on board. Please fix the Cosmic Fantasy 2 difficulty that Victor Ireland graced us with.

Hoping for Magical Chase, Sapphire, Hammering Harry and both Crush Pinball games.

Maybe Space Fantasy Zone as a surprise game?

Valis X would be funny for the Japanese version

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I only noticed this now, but multitap support for up to 5 players?

That explains the inclusion of Dungeon Explorer. Hoping for some Bomberman and Fire Pro Wrestling, too.

demigod

I had a Turbografx 16 back in the days, I think I gave it away to one of my friends. Will definitely pick this up.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Hopefully this comes to England, I had to buy of these in the late 80's from a import shop and have good memories from it. I can still remember the singeing smell from the unofficial plug adapter bringing back memories.

sn0man

Really hope the North American market get all the high profile Hudson and Konami games. Never played Dracula X and if emulated properly could be the best way to play.

-hal-

I have to think that some of the hate in this thread is coming from people that either don't appreciate retro gaming, or just don't know about the PC Engine/Turbografx.

I always wanted one of these when I was a kid and I am completely down for a day 1 purchase. I hope they include some of the games I've seen mentioned in this thread: Keith Courage, Bonk, etc.

This is GREAT news. Please do it right, Konami!

Kasumi70

Neo Member
I am so happy about this! Please Konami put Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on the Turbografx 16 mini in the USA!

Last edited:

K1Expwy

TIL Bonk's name in Japan was "PC Genjin" (PC primitive man).

Since they're adding CD titles as well, hopefully the final list includes the *of Thunder games and Sapphire

pramod

Banned
I know this has zero chance of happening but I'm just imagining some alternate reality where Konami announces an English port of Snatcher for the Turbo Mini.

Kazza

I'm really down for this, so long as the emulation and game selection are both good. I didn't know much about the PC Engine growing up in the UK (apart from Bonk), so I'm looking forward to playing through the library.

The Happy Console Gamer has put together this video about games that should be included:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm really down for this, so long as the emulation and game selection are both good. I didn't know much about the PC Engine growing up in the UK (apart from Bonk), so I'm looking forward to playing through the library.

The Happy Console Gamer has put together this video about games that should be included:

I watched this earlier, along with some MetalJesusRocks turbografx gems videos. I’m excited to see how many and what games they choose.

Reactions: TLZ

Kazza

I watched this earlier, along with some MetalJesusRocks turbografx gems videos. I’m excited to see how many and what games they choose.

What I liked most about the HCG video was that I had never even heard of most of the games, let alone played them. I know many people buy these mini consoles for nostalgia reasons, but I'm mostly interested in the ones that I didn't own at the time. It's great to have an undiscovered 16-bit library of games just waiting to be played for the first time. Even with consoles I did own (such as the Megadrive), the most enjoyment I get from the collections is playing the games I either didn't know about or couldn't afford back in the day. I'm just hoping Konami don't fuck this up.

KOMANI

KOMANI
What I liked most about the HCG video was that I had never even heard of most of the games, let alone played them. I know many people buy these mini consoles for nostalgia reasons, but I'm mostly interested in the ones that I didn't own at the time. It's great to have an undiscovered 16-bit library of games just waiting to be played for the first time. Even with consoles I did own (such as the Megadrive), the most enjoyment I get from the collections is playing the games I either didn't know about or couldn't afford back in the day. I'm just hoping Konami don't fuck this up.
Im in the same boat. Hopefully this is more genesis mini than ps classic.

Kazza

Despite being competitors in the console market at the time, the PC Engine was able to license a surprising number of Sega IPs. Hopefully Sega will return the favour for Konami putting their games on the Megadrive mini and allow their games on the system.

Virex

Banned
Castlevani X brings back great memories and Cosmic Fantasy. I had the pleasure of being a turbogrfx gamer.
Same here. Unfortunately the capacitors on mine leaked to shit. But I know someone who said they will recap it for me. He got the internal schematics as well. So I'm taking it to him soon to fix.

nush

Gold Member
Despite being competitors in the console market at the time, the PC Engine was able to license a surprising number of Sega IPs. Hopefully Sega will return the favour for Konami putting their games on the Megadrive mini and allow their games on the system.

And the conversions were often better than Segas own efforts!

Bullet Club

Hopefully they put Dragon's Curse on it.

Top Bottom