• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami bringing Suikoden 1 & 2 PSone to PSN and VITA. #isthisreallife #basedkonami

Hugstable

Banned
It's a very fast game imho. Even if you do everything.

Yeah I'm progressing through the first game at a pretty good speed right now. I do remember that some of the optional boss fights to get some of the stars of destiny can be pretty tough though.

(Suikoden1 optional boss spoiler?)

I remember there being a optional fight against 3 pirates where you had to beat them within a certain amount of turns. That fight took me a bit to beat haha.

Played through some of one back in the day, and I didn't love it, but I played through about 30~ hours of 5 and really enjoyed that. I also really need to finish it one of these days.

Deciding to give the first two another chance, should I follow a guide considering the 108 stars of destiny unlocks stuff in 2 and it apparently gives you a better ending? Or should I save that for a second playthrough or something? I really don't want story spoilers which is why I'm hesitant to use a guide.

omg_mjd

I still have $17 in my PSN wallet ($15 from the last promo plus change) so I'll probably get both. Can't wait! (Good thing I didn't pick up Soul Sacrifice Delta when it was on sale just because I had the money lying around.)

How's the DS game Suikoden Tierkreis by the way? Is it worth playing too?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still have $17 in my PSN wallet ($15 from the last promo plus change) so I'll probably get both. Can't wait! (Good thing I didn't pick up Soul Sacrifice Delta when it was on sale just because I had the money lying around.)

How's the DS game Suikoden Tierkries by the way? Is it worth playing too?
Tierkreis is alright. Don't expect mainline series quality. The dub is pretty bad.

Meowster

Yeah I'm progressing through the first game at a pretty good speed right now. I do remember that some of the optional boss fights to get some of the stars of destiny can be pretty tough though.

(Suikoden1 optional boss spoiler?)

I remember there being a optional fight against 3 pirates where you had to beat them within a certain amount of turns. That fight took me a bit to beat haha.
Remember that one. I think I had to use a guide on the best way to do that within the time limit.
Played through some of one back in the day, and I didn't love it, but I played through about 30~ hours of 5 and really enjoyed that. I also really need to finish it one of these days.

Deciding to give the first two another chance, should I follow a guide considering the 108 stars of destiny unlocks stuff in 2 and it apparently gives you a better ending? Or should I save that for a second playthrough or something? I really don't want story spoilers which is why I'm hesitant to use a guide.
Maybe try and look for just a missable guide or post somewhere on the net? That would probably not give you much or any spoils but help make sure you don't screw yourself over at any point.

Maybe try and look for just a missable guide or post somewhere on the net? That would probably not give you much or any spoils but help make sure you don't screw yourself over at any point.

Thanks, but I'm super paranoid about spoilers. Probably just better off doing two playthroughs and using a guide for the second. Thanks for helping though.

I used a 108 Stars guide for Suikoden I and they spoiled the hell out of some major plot points. I won't do that again, even if it means not getting the "true" ending.

The OT title should be something that new fans will get, not a reference to things only long time fans will recognize.

The Affordable 108 is probably the best suggestion so far IMO.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, that bug is no doubt returning. Prepare for TcDohl in Suikoden II.

For the uninitiated: Save file transfer only carries over the first letter of your hero's name from Suiko I, with the rest of it remaining as his default name of "McDohl". So Tir would become TcDohl.

I used to avoid this by naming him McDohl in Suiko I. Canon name, clean transfer, all was well. I mean, he technically became McDohl McDohl, but it was the best you could do.

Tizoc

For the uninitiated: Save file transfer only carries over the first letter of your hero's name from Suiko I, with the rest of it remaining as his default name of "McDohl". So Tir would become TcDohl.

I used to avoid this by naming him McDohl in Suiko I. Canon name, clean transfer, all was well. I mean, he technically became McDohl McDohl, but it was the best you could do.

M it is then~

^plus the random battles are fast in suikoden... well, excluding the incredibly slow and monotonous (but still charming) combat in suiko3

but especially in II and V, combat is very fast because you can just auto-attack with regular Attack for all characters with 1 button, but more so because the attack animations are not only fast but (similar to Final Fantasy X-2) multiple characters can run up and attack at the same time. makes it not only fast but very visually cool and satisfying to watch. love watching 3 melee go up and Double Hit while arrows from the back row come flying in.

Meneses

Since they specifically mentioned Suikoden I as well, does this mean it will now be downloadable on the Vita?

The one from my download list still says that I can't use it with this system, but I can't find it in the store right now so maybe they took it down to make it Vita-downloadable too?

That would be super awesome, since I don't have my PS3 with me.

what if I named him Mir or something that start with M, does that transfer to become the proper name in Suikoden 2?

Tizoc

Since they specifically mentioned Suikoden I as well, does this mean it will now be downloadable on the Vita?

The one from my download list still says that I can't use it with this system, but I can't find it in the store right now so maybe they took it down to make it Vita-downloadable too?

That would be super awesome, since I don't have my PS3 with me.

Suikoden 1 was Vita compatible but req. a PS3 to transfer from it to your Vita. I'm guessing if it was removed then it's to update it so it will run on the Vita.
Here's Suikoden 1 though if you want to get it early

OmegaDL50

How well has 2 aged? I have never played a game in the series and therefor have no nostalgia.

It's pretty much timeless like some SNES RPGs are.

It doesn't use early blocky 3D and rather hand drawn sprites so the graphics actually haven't aged much at all in comparison.

The biggest issue though is PSOne Classics and the game having an internal resolution of 320x224 or something to that effect, so when stretched out on HD Displays it will have a blurring due to the sprites being smoothed.

suikoden-ii-dragon.jpg

suikoden-ii-luca.jpg

Top Bottom