• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Comments on Possibility of a New Castlevania Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Axios recently had a chance to question Konami's Yota Tsutsumizaki, director on Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, via translated email. Tsutsumizaki noted that, while longtime Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi left the company years ago, his "retirement from Konami is not related to the prolonged interval between series releases." Igarashi notably left Konami the same year as the last major Castlevania release, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, in 2014.

The biggest question, of course, was if and when Konami might actually make a truly new Castlevania. "I think it depends on what our users say," Tsutsumizaki told Axios. It's the sort of answer any developer might give to the question, especially if they are in charge of a mobile title in a long-running franchise, but it does still leave the option on the table. And, as previously stated, there's more Castlevania available right now than there has been in the recent past.

As noted above, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is currently available on Apple Arcade.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
There should have been a new 2D entry even if it was given to an talented indie developer that hit in between seasons 3 & 4 of the Netflix show.

Ceadeus

I have better hope about Igarashi making a RoTN sequel than Konami on Castlevania.

I hope we get an announcement soon enough..

Aldynes

At this point, no absolutely no, the best thing would be to either sold the IP or let another studio work on it, Konami is dead the least damage they can do is releasing compilations... outside of Silent Hill HD collection but you got the point.

Ol'Scratch

It is mind numbing that this even needs to be a discussion for them with the success of the collections and the love that the Netflix series received.
Them saying that they are open if asked is a slap in the face.

Muchacho

Wonder if this is still in development and if it ever gets released will it be China only or worldwide. Last footage was from a year back but still looks pretty damn sweet.

kiphalfton

Konami: Who wants a new Castlevania?

Fans: We do!

Konami: Introducing Castlevania Pachinko!

This joke sucks, just like konami's video game output.

Seriously though, unless Konami actually ANNOUNCES a game can people stop posting threads about them. It only stirs up bad memories whenever they are brought up.

Javthusiast

Banned
Expecting Konami to put out good new games again is

hope GIF

Saber

Gold Member
Hard to buy. They don't see interested on investing games big time nowadays. It will be either cash grab or mobile crap.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Konami runs the risk of diluting their brand if they keep using their still desirable IP in shitty games. It seems they're now all-in with gambling, so it's surprising that they don't just sell their IP if they don't seem to value it themselves. Get that huge cash injection and go back about making pachinko devices or whatever.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
"I think it depends on what our users say" is what you hear from mobile game companies, not legitimate developers.

It's done. We got like 20 Castlevania games over the years. I'm satisfied with that.

This makes me think of that scene in Blade 3 (only good scene of the entire movie, mind) when Dracula enters the goth (sex) shop and becomes enraged when seeing how mankind turned his bloody legend into all kinds of stupid merchandise including dildos...

clem84

Gold Member
Iga was clearly the best person to be in charge of the franchise. If they don't want to crank out CV games every year or two, fine, but this doesn't prevent them from hiring him on a per game basis.

I have a feeling he's done with Konami and has no plans on going back though.

Needlecrash

Iga was clearly the best person to be in charge of the franchise. If they don't want to crank out CV games every year or two, fine, but this doesn't prevent them from hiring him on a per game basis.

Considering Bloodstained 2 is officially in development, I'll agree on that.

KOMANI

KOMANI

you would be wrong since he's been interviewed and has said he has no problem working on the CV franchise.

Spaceman292

Banned

Axios recently had a chance to question Konami's Yota Tsutsumizaki, director on Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, via translated email. Tsutsumizaki noted that, while longtime Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi left the company years ago, his "retirement from Konami is not related to the prolonged interval between series releases." Igarashi notably left Konami the same year as the last major Castlevania release, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, in 2014.

The biggest question, of course, was if and when Konami might actually make a truly new Castlevania. "I think it depends on what our users say," Tsutsumizaki told Axios. It's the sort of answer any developer might give to the question, especially if they are in charge of a mobile title in a long-running franchise, but it does still leave the option on the table. And, as previously stated, there's more Castlevania available right now than there has been in the recent past.

As noted above, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is currently available on Apple Arcade.
The comment: ...nah

Azurro

Banned
Castlevania is dead, Konami turned into an Ahab company chasing whales. What a shame for a company with so many loved IPs

Muchacho

according to some source near the developers, they have halted development.
5twxZAv.jpg
pvKYIRA.jpg

Damn I had hopes for this mobile project as it looked like a lot of work went in there, but being a Konami project one has to get real these days.

Kojima was their heart and soul and when he left he took all inspiration and creativity with him. They can try and get Iga back for one last rodeo.

But in any case thanks for clearing that up KOMANI KOMANI . It seems like they pulled the plug at or very near completion on this one.

Top Bottom