• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami drops 'Six Days in Fallujah' after heavy criticism

Mar

Rez said:
I blame (thank?) Nick Breken!

Can't wait to hear what they say about this on the next cast. The Idle Thumbs kiss of death. Obviously the Godfather of podcasts.

Dante

Lame...I mean I don't understand why? Does other media do this? Take Black Hawk Down for example, I'm sure there was some controversy somewhere over it.

comparing Iraq to WW2 and Vietnam is an insult imo the the veterans of those 2 wars.

imagine we had D-Day on CNN live feed like we had shock and awe..... yeah.

El-Suave

Is there even one WWII shooter with a non cliched German single player campaign?

If they haven't managed to make one of those in all these years, it probably was a dumb move to greenlight something like that about a really current scenario.

Haeleos said:
"We had intended to convey the reality of the battles to players so that they could feel what it was like to be there. So here we have this giant enemy crab..."

After the reports that came out from it's initial showing, they did very little to support that they were going to treat the material with respect.

As I am sure blood on the sand did, huh?

Seriously don't fucking get how a game like this could get cut so early and yet bullshit 50 cent game can make it to retail.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Opiate said:
There's really no way to treat this with respect and also make a video game.

If it were treating the material with respect, you might kill one enemy combatant in the game. There would be no bosses. No health packs. No restoration shields of any kind. And that's just for starters: the full requirements would go much deeper than this.

To give this "proper respect," instead of just making a game, a la CoD or what have you, would be either painful, boring, or both, to most consumers, including those on GAF.

Here's a simple example: if I were to shoot 20 enemy combatants in my career as a real Marine, I would be given every medal under the sun. In "Six Days in Fallujah," that was apparently the first ten minutes of the game.

These people seriously need a reality check. Having seen the early impressions of the game, it's insulting to think these people thought this paid proper homage to the Marines, because if this is what you think is "proper respect," then you have betrayed an utter and complete lack of genuine understanding.
Sums it up pretty nicely. There are practically no games that treat the conflict they're based on with respect. The closest I've seen is the first Ghost Recon and even there you killed at least 80 people through the campaign.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ZombieSupaStar said:
comparing Iraq to WW2 and Vietnam is an insult imo the the veterans of those 2 wars.

imagine we had D-Day on CNN live feed like we had shock and awe..... yeah.
Actually.. Vietnam is kinda known for being the first televised war. It wasn't 24/7 CNN land like the first Gulf War was later on, but the whole reason for the anti-Vietnam movement was that we were finally seeing unfiltered footage from an actual war... as opposed to heavily propagandized and simplified AMERICA ON THE MARCH newsreel footage during WWII.

Swifty

Brobzoid said:
Sums it up pretty nicely. There are practically no games that treat the conflict they're based on with respect. The closest I've seen is the first Ghost Recon and even there you killed at least 80 people through the campaign.
It was pretty damn fucking hard though. Such an unforgiving game. They don't make tactical shooters like they used to and I was hoping Six Days would've been like that.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
I have no problem at all understanding the decision to drop it - what I don't understand in the slightest is the original decision to greenlight the project.

Game != Documentary

A good documentary tries to set out the whole situation, it intellectualises to avoid clouding the subject with emotions. It presents all the data in a a dispassionate manner. If it uses reenactment to try and get its point across, then it doesn't overdramatise. It is never partisan.

Who here thinks the US Marines would be happy having the naked truth about what happened in Fallujah aired out for everyone to see? Who here thinks that things would have been massaged to place the best possible light on it?

I'm not saying that the Marines in Fallujah were especially brutal compared to how US Marines are normally in that one particular engagement (although their ROE's were probably a lot laxxer than normal - wasn't every Iraqi above the age of 15 considered a combatant?) but combat is messy and brutal and I don't think we're ever shown the truth of it. Whatever that truth is, it's nasty enough to shatter fairly tough minds and require extensive therapy to counter.

After all, 90+ US Marines lost their lives in those six days. That's got to leave some scars on their friends. Also, although 1500+ 'enemy insurgents' were booked as killed, there is talk of there having been over 6000 civilian casualties. I can only imagine how that must feel for those who survived - knowing that for every 'bad guy' they took out, there were four 'innocents' killed too. If I'd shot at a fleeting shadow during a firefight and never found the body, I know I'd be worried that I might have popped a fleeing civvie.

So, no. Until those Marines and Iraqi civilians have had time to lay their ghosts to rest, there shouldn't be a game out about it. Until we, the Western World, have had time to place this conflict in the proper context WE shouldn't want a game about it, either.

And anyone who has an ounce of maturity should be bloody certain that they DO NOT want to know how it felt and what it was like to fight there.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Unfortunately it's a lot easier to SAY that you're going to make a fun and entertaining game about a contemporary military action whilst being realistic, non-partisan and remaining true to the real events that unfolded than it is to actually go ahead and make said game.

Sloane

Banned
Should have named it 'Six Days in a city in some Middle Eastern country' and nobody would have had a problem with that.

Brobzoid

Sloane said:
Should have named it 'Six Days in a city in some Middle Eastern country' and nobody would have had a problem with that.
If they still said that it would be realistic and an unbiased telling of the conflict I'd pretty much feel the same way even if it was set in Muslim fantasy town #124.

Opiate said:
There's really no way to treat this with respect and also make a video game.

If it were treating the material with respect, you might kill one enemy combatant in the game. There would be no bosses. No health packs. No restoration shields of any kind. And that's just for starters: the full requirements would go much deeper than this.

To give this "proper respect," instead of just making a game, a la CoD or what have you, would be either painful, boring, or both, to most consumers, including those on GAF.

Here's a simple example: if I were to shoot 20 enemy combatants in my career as a real Marine, I would be given every medal under the sun. In "Six Days in Fallujah," that was apparently the first ten minutes of the game.

These people seriously need a reality check. Having seen the early impressions of the game, it's insulting to think these people thought this paid proper homage to the Marines, because if this is what you think is "proper respect," then you have betrayed an utter and complete lack of genuine understanding.
so what you sayin is there isnt no health pack in real war, so you just up and die?? wtf...hmm maybe them protest people not to bad then I guess

Konami announces : Swine Flu : 6 Days in Mexico

Developers have spoken to those who have been through it, so they know how it feels.

so just out of curiosity's sake, how many non-soccer HD games that we know for sure are coming out from Konami now?

Saw and...?

AniHawk

HyperZone<3 said:
so just out of curiosity's sake, how many non-soccer HD games that we know for sure are coming out from Konami now?

Saw and...?

ZOE 3.

Konami really doesn't make a lot of great games. Metal Gear Solid, PES, and Mega Man and that's it.

Gantz

Banned
Great Konami, now come up with a new original game or IP. We don't need another FPS based in the middle east.

Brobzoid

AniHawk said:
ZOE 3.

Konami really doesn't make a lot of great games. Metal Gear Solid, PES, and Mega Man and that's it.
ZOE 3 is a Wii game if there ever was one. and Konami's Mega Man is over-saturated like a motherfucker, even if the two people who played the last one loved it.

Liara T'Soni said:
Konami announces : Swine Flu : 6 Days in Mexico

Developers have spoken to those who have been through it, so they know how it feels.
Fuck that. The
Real
American public demands Six Enhanced Interrogation Techniques at Guantanamo.

Oh dear, I was looking forward to finally having a modern day shooter. There are so many WWII games and other old war games that we must have unearthered every single tale out there

I dont understand though, if they gathered the details from soldiers who willingly gave them their journals and diaries then clearly they didnt have a problem with it...Are the people who are complaining even people who play video games, let alone buy shooters?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
AniHawk said:
RE5 wasn't a retelling of the genocide in Rwanda.

it did get alot of whining. i mean wtf, its a game, its just annoying, let the people make the game they want to make, if you dont like it dont buy it

next thing you know they are gonna whine about movies too.

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
ZOE 3.

I wonder what the original Ducktales team is working on. They should just put it on DSi.

AniHawk

Tiduz said:
it did get alot of whining. i mean wtf, its a game, its just annoying, let the people make the game they want to make, if you dont like it dont buy it

next thing you know they are gonna whine about movies too.

Movies and video games are not the same thing. Movies, for one, can be considered art.

And, yeah, RE5 did get a lot of whining, but not because it was a realistic recreation of something recent.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
AniHawk said:
Movies and video games are not the same thing. Movies, for one, can be considered art.

And, yeah, RE5 did get a lot of whining, but not because it was a realistic recreation of something recent.

i guess you have a point, and i guess because im a gamer its annoying to me to see games that could have potential to be interesting cancelled due to whiners who take it too seriously (in my eyes).

Or maybe i dont take it serious enough :p

either way, its annoying.

panda21

if you read some of the previews its very clear the game was not going to be in the least bit tastefully handled or accurate.

turning something that happened so recently and that resulted in a lot of civilians dying into a game where you run around like rambo blasting arabs is not in good taste.

hell i thought putting generic arab countries in cod4 alongside the usual evil russians was pretty low.

nazis have effectively become a kind of symbol of generic unhuman evil like zombies or something in popular culture so thats kind of different

AniHawk

panda21 said:
if you read some of the previews its very clear the game was not going to be in the least bit tastefully handled or accurate.

turning something that happened so recently and that resulted in a lot of civilians dying into a game where you run around like rambo blasting arabs is not in good taste.

hell i thought putting generic arab countries in cod4 alongside the usual evil russians was pretty low.

nazis have effectively become a kind of symbol of generic unhuman evil like zombies or something in popular culture so thats kind of different
Movies romanticized WWII way before video games were even being first developed. Also, it was one war where there's this agreed-upon good vs. evil struggle. Even Germany tries to sweep up what they did 70-80 years ago.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
regenerating health.

regenerating health.

Prine

Banned
akachan ningen said:
What a bunch of pussies. I wasn't into the idea of this game but now I hope it gets published just to spite the whiners.

Erm... i think the loss of their son/daughter is painful enough.

Retro

Good, now they can shift their focus to more important things, like getting a Castlevania Classic Collection put together and making sure the new PS3/360 Castlevania game doesn't suck.

Top Bottom