• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: Internal Discussions regarding Switch games, namedrops Castlevania

Oregano

I thought this was interesting, comes from an interview between a blog called Mikenintendo and Konami's European Brand Manager.
“All I can say is that there is lots of internal discussions going on within Konami regarding what games we can bring to the Nintendo Switch, other than Bomberman, a game which we are well aware of its heritage and how loved it and Castlevania is. So much so that Castlevania is getting is getting its own show on Netflix and because of that, we’re hearing a lot of desires from our fans for a new Castlevania series. So we do know there is a demand for a new game, but right now nothing is set in stone as the discussions are still on going.”

That's usually not the kind of thing you bring up randomly.

I'd recommend reading the full interview, there's some neat details in regards to Super Bomberman R.

fernoca

Well, Wii got Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth and Contra Rebirth. More of that would be more than great.

I'll wait and see what they produce (if anything) but they have a lot left to prove after how they turned their backs on gaming as a whole.

I'll keep supporting and staying hyped for Bloodstained Switch while they sit there trying to figure out if they still wanna be terrible or not.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't mind Konami reviving their classics and bringing them back to their roots. Bring on classic Castlevania, I say!

We first learned of the console in 2015 and our dev team started to think up what game would have the most impact on it and before you knew it, we were settled on doing a Bomberman game and not long after Super Bomberman R was conceived and development properly began in 2016.

Thats a really fast development cycle, No shit nintendo had to delay the launch from Holiday 2016 to March 2017.

Ridley327

I would be incredibly surprised if a new Castlevania was Switch exclusive. Not that it doesn't have a massive history in Nintendo hardware, but it doesn't strike me as an IP that Konami would keep to one system.

Zukkoyaki

Bomberman almost certainly made them pause for a second and reconsider the traditional games space. If they can continue reviving their IPs with solid and wisely budgeted games, ala Bomberman, I think they'll find success.

radcliff

I'll take a Castlevania! I wonder if they would work with Good Feel (former Konami devs who worked on the Castelvania series) on it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Imagine the best case scenario, where they release both a classicvania and igavania collection. Having all the 2D CV's in one spot... Yes please.

When is the Castlevania series releasing? Seems like a missed opportunity to not have a game already in the works

July 7th, exactly a month from now!

40Tm1cl.gif

Marcel

Laughing at the idea of people softening on Konami because they're putting old tablescraps on the Switch. Yall are predictable as hell.

EDarkness

If they were smart, they'd get PES on the NS ASAP. Especially if they can do it like they did the Wii game all those years ago. EA doesn't seem to want to jump in on the market, so they should take control like they did back then. I'm sure people would appreciate that.

Also, release some Castlevania games for the system as well and I think people will be happy. Maybe a Metal Gear collection as well?

Foffy

Banned
Maybe it's the diehard fan in me, but what can Konami deliver on the IP that's already not being covered by Bloodstained or the Castlevania fangame community?

You want a Castlevania game? Play the Lecarde Chronicles games.

You want a game by some key staff that made Castlevania what it was? Play Bloodstained.

Considering the fact I put fangames above Konami's own efforts really speaks to my expectations on what they'd do with the IP considering the reboot and Pachinko games were really when they decided to actually care for the franchise, and I don't like either.

Sesha

Konami-owned franchises and titles people demand:

Metal Gear Solid remakes and current gen and PC ports
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 2
Silent Hill
Zone of the Enders
Castlevania
Contra
Suikoden
Vandal Hearts
Ganbare Goemon
Bloody Roar
Gradius
Parodius
etc etc

Titles that will get made:

N/A

I was kind of hoping that they would farm Castlevania out to another dev. I'm not holding my breath for competency regarding console games from Konami right now.

Nanashrew

Banned
Maybe it's the diehard fan in me, but what can Konami deliver on the IP that's already not being covered by Bloodstained or the Castlevania fangame community?

You want a Castlevania game? Play the Lecarde Chronicles games.

You want a game by some key staff that made Castlevania what it was? Play Bloodstained.

Considering the fact I put fangames above Konami's own efforts really speaks to my expectations on what they'd do with the IP considering the reboot and Pachinko games were really when they decided to actually care for the franchise, and I don't like either.

May be true, but people still would like the original too.

Yeah this does seem like a bit of a hint. Otherwise it's almost a Trump-esque mid-thought derail.

Incidentally I just had a memory the other day of playing Castlevania 64 back in the day. That game was janky but fun.

TreIII

Give Ninty a deal. Let them put Good Feel (Kirby Epic Yarn, Yoshi Wooly World) on actually making the games. Good Feel is made up of ex-Konami Kobe branch staff who know their shit when it comes to 2D action games, which includes a few Castlevania titles.

Badda-bing, badda-boom, let's make it happen!

Hilarion

A Classicvania like Castlevania 1, 3, 4, or Rondo? It's a very different experience than something like Bloodstained.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Konami is having a discussion on how to best create a Castlevania Pachinko experience for the Switch.

Oregano

I would be incredibly surprised if a new Castlevania was Switch exclusive. Not that it doesn't have a massive history in Nintendo hardware, but it doesn't strike me as an IP that Konami would keep to one system.

I don't see why not. Castlevania has a ton of Nintendo exclusive releases and the past two revivals they've done with Nintendo's support have done really well for them.

I don't think scummy companies like Konami should get prizes and attaboys just for showing up and blowing smoke up peoples' asses.

I laugh at the fact that people only started the Fuck Konami thing because of Kojima despite the fact they'd be pulling the same shit for their other developers for years before that.

All I care about is whether they're releasing games I want and with Bomberman they did. If they release a decent/good Castlevania they will have done it again.

Nanashrew

Banned
Konami-owned franchises and titles people demand:

Metal Gear Solid remakes and current gen and PC ports
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 2
Silent Hill
Zone of the Enders
Castlevania
Contra
Suikoden
Vandal Hearts
Ganbare Goemon
Bloody Roar
Gradius
Parodius
etc etc

Titles that will get made:

N/A

I'd love a new Gradius but shmups are a hard sale this day and age. However, I'd love a Gradius collection with 1 through 5.

Turrican3

If they were smart, they'd get PES on the NS ASAP. Especially if they can do it like they did the Wii game all those years ago. [...] I'm sure people would appreciate that.
I surely would.
Wii was full of underrated stuff like that and I really really hope Switch can play the role of a legit successor for that kind of innovative approaches.

Top Bottom