• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the top selling third-party publisher in Japan 2020 and Momotaro is the best selling game.

Bodomism

Banned
The payment was for the exclusivity. They were negotiating different exclusivity options, including one where they wouldn't release the game on PC. The thing all the options had in common was console exclusivity for Switch.

But mixing that document with the other one with the Capcom titles line-up roadmap for the next 4-5 years, seems that the option they agreed is to release Rise on PC 9 months after the Switch release, and to announce the PC version 6 months after the Switch release.

But who knows, since all this stuff has been leaked and now many people knows it will be released on PC maybe it affects to the Capcom deal with Nintendo and they update it because it may hurt the sales of the Switch version since people may skip the Switch version to play the superior PC version. Another leaked document even listed the improvements of the PC version like increasing the FPS from 30 to 60, and so on, detailing to the point it mentioned optimized controls for keyboard and mouse and adapted UI.

Adding the PC numbers I think they can achieve it, but in Switch alone I think it will be difficult. How many non-Nintendo games sold 10M+ units on Switch alone?
MH4JP + MH4U ROTW(Minus Japanese version) sold over 5 million units.

With Nintendo Switch popularity and MH franchise exposure on the eest after MHWorld it could potentially reach 10M units.

Japan - 5 million units LTD
US - 2 million units LTD
EU and ROTW - 3 million units LTD

Woopah

I think Switch version alone could sell around 10 million units.
I think that's a little too high, but I'd be impressed if it manages it though.
The payment was for the exclusivity. They were negotiating different exclusivity options, including one where they wouldn't release the game on PC. The thing all the options had in common was console exclusivity for Switch.

But mixing that document with the other one with the Capcom titles line-up roadmap for the next 4-5 years, seems that the option they agreed is to release Rise on PC 9 months after the Switch release, and to announce the PC version 6 months after the Switch release.
I read that document as them paying for things related to the PC version. There was no option for the game coming to other consoles because that was never the intention of Rise. That's what World 2 is for.

yurinka

I think that's a little too high, but I'd be impressed if it manages it though.

I read that document as them paying for things related to the PC version. There was no option for the game coming to other consoles because that was never the intention of Rise. That's what World 2 is for.
Yes, for the other consoles the logical stuff would be MHW2. Rise exists because Switch is getting a good userbase, MHW doesn't fit there and Nintendo paid for a MH (well, for two counting Generations 2) to be made for their console to compensate the other ones have World for them.
MH4JP + MH4U ROTW(Minus Japanese version) sold over 5 million units.

With Nintendo Switch popularity and MH franchise exposure on the eest after MHWorld it could potentially reach 10M units.

Japan - 5 million units LTD
US - 2 million units LTD
EU and ROTW - 3 million units LTD
Worldwide LTD units sold as of September 30, 2020:
MHW (PS4, XBO, PC, 2018) 16.4M
MHWI (PS4, XBO, PC, 2019) 6.6M
MHF3 (PSP, 2010) 4.9M
MH Generations (3DS, 2015) 4.3M
MH4U (3DS, 2014) 4.2M
MH4 (3DS, 2013) 4.1M
MHGU (3DS, 2017) 3.9M
MHFU (PSP, 2008) 3.8M
MH3U (3DS, WiiU, 2011) 2.6M
MHF2 (PSP, 2007) 2.4M
MH3 (Wii, 2009) 1.9M

Consoles sold worldwide as of September 30, 2020:
PS4 113.6M
Wii 101.63M
PSP >80-82M
3DS 75.94M
Switch 68.30M
XBO >50M?
WiiU 13.56M

I think it's more realistic to expect something between 5 and 10M from the Switch version. And I'd say maybe closer to 5M than to 10M.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Yes, for the other consoles the logical stuff would be MHW2. Rise exists because Switch is getting a good userbase, MHW doesn't fit there and Nintendo paid for a MH (well, for two counting Generations 2).

Worldwide LTD units sold as of September 30, 2020:
MHW (PS4, XBO, PC, 2018) 16.4M
MHWI (PS4, XBO, PC, 2019) 6.6M
MHF3 (PSP, 2010) 4.9M
MH Generations (3DS, 2015) 4.3M
MH4U (3DS, 2014) 4.2M
MH4 (3DS, 2013) 4.1M

Consoles sold as of September 30, 2020:
PS4 113.6M
PSP >80-82M
3DS 75.94M
Switch 68.30M
MH4 vanilla is Japan only, you need to take MH4U western sales and combined with MH4 vanilla to get a full picture.

Also there are misleading numbers in that data after Capcom counted Iceborne SKU in base MHW. Basically they counted it 2 times.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
That minecraft purchase turns out to be one of the smartest acquisitions MS ever did
Of course, Switch version in Japan alone has sold over 2 million units physical+digital and probably closer to 3 million units as the digital version has been released earlier than physical version. Not only that Nintendo Switch version is consistently charting all across the globe without adding other SKU.

Phil Spencer is a genius for that move alone.

MagnesG

Banned
I don't think the payment was for console exclusivity. It was a payment for the announcent of the PC version to be delayed.

I can't see Rise hitting World numbers but 10 million is certainly doable.
I've always been skeptical about Switch software numbers but so far any kinds of notable decent releases would always outperform their past ones, and I don't think Rise would be the exception. And with PC port coming...

yurinka

MH4 vanilla is Japan only, you need to take MH4U western sales and combined with MH4 vanilla to get a full picture.

Also there are misleading numbers in that data after Capcom counted Iceborne SKU in base MHW. Basically they counted it 2 times.
No, the full picture is the one I listed. In fact, I'll edit to add the MH3 games and Wii/WiiU too to see how it did perform on Nintendo home consoles.

MH4 is a (Japan only) game with the worldwide sales I mentioned.
MH4U is another game released both in Japan and in western markets with the worldwide sales I mentioned.
The MHW has sold worldwide the units I mentioned. Same goes with Iceborne, it sold the units I mentioned.
It's clear, not misleading and purchases aren't counted twice.

Sure, Iceborne is basically a DLC in the same way the Ultimates or G versions were basically reeditions of the games with some extra stuff when back then DLCs weren't still a stablished thing. In both Iceborne and G cases they were developed, marketed and priced as a new game.

But if you had bought let's say MH4 and wanted to play MH4G/MH4U you had the buy MH4G/MH4U. If you had MHW and wanted to play MHWI you had to buy MHWI. If you had MHP2 and wanted to play MHP2G you had to buy MHP2G and so on.

The only difference is that in addition to be released as a standalone game, Iceborne is also sold as a DLC/expansion for existing users.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
No, the full picture is the one I listed. In fact, I'll add the MH3 games and Wii too to see how it did perform on a Nintendo home console.

MH4 is a (Japan only) game with the worldwide sales I mentioned.
MH4U is another game released both in Japan and in western markets with the worldwide sales I mentioned.
The MHW has sold worldwide the units I mentioned. Same goes with Iceborne, it sold the units I mentioned.
It's clear, not misleading and purchases aren't counted twice.

Sure, Iceborne is basically a DLC in the same way the Ultimates or G versions were basically reeditions of the games with some extra stuff when back then DLCs weren't still a stablished thing. In both Iceborne and G cases they were developed, marketed and priced as a new game.

But if you had bought let's say MH4 and wanted to play MH4G/MH4U you had the buy MH4G/MH4U. If you had MHW and wanted to play MHWI you had to buy MHWI. If you had MHP2 and wanted to play MHP2G you had to buy MHP2G and so on.

The only difference is that in addition to be released as a standalone game, Iceborne is also sold as a DLC/expansion for existing users.
The full picture = Single release for all regions.

MH4 - For Japanese market sales
MH4U - For western and rotw market sales

MH4 sold around 5.5 million on 76 million 3DS userbase

MHW sold around 8.5 million on 113 million PS4 userbase

Nintendo Switch version of MHR is going to smash the sales of one SKU record

Woopah

I've always been skeptical about Switch software numbers but so far any kinds of notable decent releases would always outperform their past ones, and I don't think Rise would be the exception. And with PC port coming...
Worldwide I definitely think that Rise will be the 2nd best selling game. I just think it would be difficult for the Switch version to outsell the Xbox and PS4 sales in the West.

Woopah

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

someone tell this flatty the 80s ended 30 years ago
7/11 of the mainline games were Nintendo exclusive, so it's kiiiiiind of true.

Though I agree that what happened to the games from NES to PS2 doesn't have much impact on how the franchise is handled now.

kiphalfton

You forgot the Wii and WiiU. Yeah totally wouldn't have expected it.

Actually you're right. Also I forgot the 3DS as well (and many of the other handheld consoles).

It will be 4 years this upcoming March, since the switch came out, and there aren't really that many games on switch that I don't already own and can't just play on one of the previous gen consoles (and by association on Dolphin/CEMU). I think that is what annoys me the most.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Holy Shit!

This time is sold-through number after clearing 1.5 million units shipments.
And the gameplay hasn't changed for decades...
fObrGsH.jpg

That screenshot is from the 1996 version on the Super Famicom...
763QTww.jpg

Bodomism

Banned
And the gameplay hasn't changed for decades...
fObrGsH.jpg

That screenshot is from the 1996 version on the Super Famicom...
763QTww.jpg
The new game was made by 20 new members in the rent apartment instead of Konami gaming studio.

Konami is currently laughing their ass off this time with insane profits from this game.

Top Bottom