• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami makes new Suikoden trademark

Saw this earlier today. Most excellent.

Though it's a bit odd that they registered "Genso Suikoden" (The Japanese name for the series) as the series in the US has always been known as just "Suikoden".

Aeana

I don't imagine this means anything. I highly doubt they'd use "Genso Suikoden" with a game here -- it's probably just a protective trademark.

B.K.

Aeana said:
I don't imagine this means anything. I highly doubt they'd use "Genso Suikoden" with a game here -- it's probably just a protective trademark.

Let us cling to hope for just a few minutes. :p

Basileus777 said:
Genso Suikoden is just the Japanese title for Suikoden. Maybe it's for a PSN release.
The first Suikoden is already on the PSN network in North America, so I don't think it would be for that.

B.K.

Basileus777 said:
Genso Suikoden is just the Japanese title for Suikoden. Maybe it's for a PSN release.

The game's already on the PSN. Maybe it's a remake of the first game or a reboot of the series and they want to call it Genso Suikoden to differentiate the two.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
That's basically what I thought too. It'd be weird if they released a game by the title of Genso Suikoden here in the west now, especially if it were a new one.

B.K.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Hopefully there will be an online countdown timer.

Metal Gear Solid Rising and Peace Walker set the new bar for countdowns. A new Suikoden needs ten countdowns!

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
Wii please. We need more RPGs!

If you need more RPGs, then buy whatever system has the RPGs. The Wii has no inherent need of them, and its consumer base pretty clearly doesn't want that sort of stuff.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
If you need more RPGs, then buy whatever system has the RPGs. The Wii has no inherent need of them, and its consumer base pretty clearly doesn't want that sort of stuff.

GTFO.

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:

That's so mature. Do you have something more constructive to offer with regards to the Suikoden series, other than expressing your plaintive bleating desire to attain any sort of legitimate gaming experiences on the DOA system to which you have willingly shackled yourself?

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
That's so mature. Do you have something more constructive to offer with regards to the Suikoden series, other than expressing your plaintive bleating desire to attain any sort of legitimate gaming experiences on the DOA system you have willingly shackled to yourself?

I have all three systems.

I'd like to see it on the Wii (or DS/PSP).

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:

And yet you find yourself incapable of expressing anything other than a desperate sobbing cry for more Wii games in every thread in which you find yourself, Wii related or not. Any time the vaguest hint of a new RPG emerges from the internet ether, you feel it's your duty to make it known that above all else, you really need it to be on the Wii. Because it so very much needs RPGs, which should actually be read as "My god I love RPGs but I have nothing to play because no one wants to make them on the Wii."

Well, that's unfortunate.

ethelred said:
its consumer base pretty clearly doesn't want that sort of stuff.

How has it clearly demonstrated that? The one RPG released on the system, Tales of Symphonia 2, sold better than many JRPGs released on the 360.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
And yet you find yourself incapable of expressing anything other than a desperate sobbing cry for more Wii games in every thread in which you find yourself, Wii related or not.

Because I want to see the system succeed. I don't like the current direction gaming is going. I want to see a system where developers can just make games, rather than trying to win in some graphical/technical dick measuring contest.

I want a home console more like the DS.

Teknoman

ethelred said:

I do ; ;

Actually I want more RPGs on Wii and PS3 than anything.

Cipherr

ethelred said:
That's so mature.

Edited out because bickering with you isnt worth shitting up a thread about such a great series.

Anyways Id sacrifice puppies to hear glorious island fortress again.

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
I want to see a system where developers can just make games, rather than trying to win in some graphical/technical dick measuring contest.

Oh, well, the nice thing is that PS3 and 360 developers have proven themselves quite capable of "just making games." Just because they sometimes happen to make really amazing looking stuff, that doesn't mean they're doing it just to measure dicks! Sometimes games can look nice and be good games.

Eteric Rice said:
I want a home console more like the DS.

If there's any console on the market like the DS, it sure isn't the Wii.

Puncture said:
Like the guy said STFU.

no u

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
Oh, well, the nice thing is that PS3 and 360 developers have proven themselves quite capable of "just making games." Just because they sometimes happen to make really amazing looking stuff, that doesn't mean they're doing it just to measure dicks! Sometimes games can look nice and be good games.

If there's any console on the market like the DS, it sure isn't the Wii.

no u

You mean like Lost Oddessy and Blue Dragon? I found them boring, which sucked because I payed full price for them.

So far the only good "next gen" JRPG I've played is Vesperia. Haven't tried Star Ocean yet so I can't judge it.

Anyway, I want to see it come to the Wii. It's not hurting you, so chill the fuck out.

Hmm. Bickering aside, I don't care whether the next Suikoden is on PS3/360 or Wii as long as it's a great game and takes the series in a forward direction in terms of story. I found Tierkreis disappointing, personally, and would love to see the universe expanded in a meaningful way. Namely, we need to know what Pesmerga has been up to since the events of the second game! Because I'm a blatant Pesmerga fanboy and I'm selfish that way.

Eteric Rice said:
No you. -_-

If I were to take a guess at what this is... Probably the PSP remakes coming to the USA?

Maybe?

Well, the new digital model Sony's drifting towards with the PSP would seem to make that more likely since it would be a less costly release. I kind of hope that's not what this is, though.

Eteric Rice

Himuro said:
There's no reason to release the psp version because they have Suikoden 1 on psn, and Suikoden 2 is on jp psn, all they'd have to do is release Suikoden 2 on NA/EU psn.

PS3 version isn't the remake, though. Besides, I know a few people who really, really wanted to see those remakes make it here.

Weren't the JP PSP releases just ports of the original games? Much like Breath of Fire 3?

Edit: Nevermind. You guys sure are quick on the draw. :p

Eteric Rice

Well, all we can do is wait I guess. Might not be anything at all like that other fella said. Could just be redoing a trademark.

Eteric Rice

Himuro said:
Unless it's one of the games the wii games Konami killed off, I expect a Suikoden game on the Wii.

It makes sense considering Tierkreis is on the ds.

Can ds games hook up to Wii games?

You mean can they communicate to Wii games? They can, but if it did then they've been planning on making them communicate for a while.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
well guys, IF this has ANYTHING to do with a game (which it probably doesn't), it's most likely to do with a handheld. if in the minuscule chance that it's a console game, it would most likely be a Wii title, because it's cheaper to develop for. if it turns out to be a PS3/360 game and budgeted accordingly, then Konami has absolutely no business sense.

actually, now that i think about it, if this turns out to be a game it probably WILL be on the PS3 or 360...

Eteric Rice

Himuro said:
I ask because one of the more famous features in the series is being able to use old save data to the next game and you can retain story details, character equipment, items;etc

This would be completely possible if Tierkreis can hook up to say, Suikoden VI, on the Wii. To transfer save data.

It would also confirm many of our worries that Suikoden VI will have nothing to do with the main universe and timeline of the Suikoden series and be a direct sequel to Tierkreis.

That would be bad news and cause me to stop supporting the series, which is sad, because I've been a long time fan.

Yeah, I told a friend of mine that there were rumors about them stopping the main series or something (was a while back, I forget where the rumors came from).

Never again. I thought she was going to murder me.

Xelinis

Considering the consistently low budget, I'd say that Wii is a safe bet. I'd rather they'd sacrifice hi-def graphics rather than game quality in order to stay within their funds.

While I do miss Muruyama's excellent storyline, the V team (Sakiyama and Tsugawa was it?) definitely has the right idea with what makes a Suikoden game and I would definitely like to watch the seeds they planted grow.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what Muruyama and Blue Moon Studios has been up to lately? Last I checked, he was writing for visual novels.

Brofist

Eteric Rice said:

I'd like to see it on the Wii (or DS/PSP).
I really want to see a picture of your systems since I still can't believe for a moment that you have all three and are that much of a wii fanboy.

J-Rzez

ethelred said:

Impossible. You know how much money it would take to make a HD game without sacrificing game play quality? TRILLIONS. Like others said, they want it on the Wii so they can have quality game play at the sacrifice of great HD visuals.

Eteric Rice said:
Because I want to see the system succeed.

I think it's clearly evident that the Wii has succeeded much further than either of the two HD consoles. Unfortunately, it's success is from the untapped market that Nintendo was targeting, not on the prior "hardcore" gamer.

Top Bottom