• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami new patch for MGSV heavily pushes players toward microtransactions

Ludens

Banned
So today Konami released a patch to address some issues and, more important, to add new items to develop, regarding the multiplayer part of the game, Fob.

Sad thing is, those items are basically impossible to develop without spending real money to buy another FOB.

Research requirement are simply insane, and even by owning a full developed MB and Fob (free one), it's impossible reach them without buying another Fob..

Why this is so important? Because with those upgrades defending your Fob will be much easier. Today patch dumped down reflex mode, so now invade a Fob is way harder since the reflex window is very limited. But now security cameras have an option to mount guns on them.
EDIT: Only mission 12 container seems nerfed, others are OK.

Some of those upgrades cost more than developing a Fob, and some of them also require 12 days to be developed.

Guess what? You can use your MB coins to shorten development time.

Here's the log:

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201511.php5

Basically now if you play Fob and you pay, you have a much easier time on preserving your Fob, while until now you can manage Fob by avoiding microtransactions at all (well, on PC there are still cheaters, but that's another story).

UwsNOog.jpeg

(The screenshot I took it's right after 160 hours into the game, playing Fob from release, full developed MB and free FOB).

georly

Also this patch nerfed the amount of resources you can gain in single-player: everytime you fulton the same container in the single-player, you get less resources from it

Wait what!? This now affects the 100% offline/single player portion of the game. I could care less about new items, i'm happy with what I have and what i'm about to finish researching, but this makes things incredibly tedious. What the hell.

Glad I didn't get swept up in the hype. I hate invasive soliciting for microtransactions especially for a full priced retail game.

I turned off automatic updates on my PS4 because of this bollocks. Such blatant anticonsumer wankerstry.

The sooner Konami just fucks off entirely from the game industry the better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This reminds me of why I haven't finished TPP yet.

Because of the FOBs? I engaged with the FOB part just once to see what it was like and never touched it again.

No doubt this is shitty, but the FOBs shouldn't stop you from finishing TPP.

Outrun

I stopped playing after beating episode 1...

The more I hear, the less I want to revisit the game.

Excellent gameplay.... Too bad about the repetition and incomplete story.

georly

Man, already I shouldn't have bought MGS5 for PC. :/

Doesn't look like I'm gonna go back to it any time soon.

Yeah this sucks. If I ever want to replay MGSV in the future, I guess I'll buy a used copy for PS4 and never hook it up to the internet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Even if you develop the items, the deployment costs for the Grade 7-8 guns in single-player is just re-donk-ulous. There's no need for them when you can just get a medium suppressor for the tranq gun instead of paying that cost and waiting what... 2 weeks(!?) for an armor piercing tranq gun with infinite silencer.

Ragnaros

Banned
What a way for this series to go out. Who would have thought when we were playing MGS1-3... I mean pick a moment in any of those games... that it would come to this.

Pilgrimzero

Because of the FOBs? I engaged with the FOB part just once to see what it was like and never touched it again.

No doubt this is shitty, but the FOBs shouldn't stop you from finishing TPP.

Exactly. You bought it, Beat the game. Never go back. easy enough.

Only time I ever used the FOB was when I needed more space for soldiers. I think it was half built to 100% by the time I finished the game.

sikkinixx

This makes it easier to decide which game to uninstall for clear of the fridge for Fallout. Bye MGS, I had a fun 40 hours.

SoulUnison

Banned
I stopped playing after Chapter 1 and hearing more and more online about where the game is headed I just don't have any drive to return and finish.

MAYBE I'll pop back in when MGO makes it to PC, but MGSV is just... It makes me so sad.

Finished the game right before the whole mess with micro-transactions started. Returned the game into the Collector's box and I'm pretty sure I'll never playing it again.

Shame, it had potential.

I had a feeling that it would be this way. Still I didn't think it would be that huge. 12 days and that many resources for a gun? Looks like I'm not going to be touching that. 140 hours in with a full FOB, full MB and almost all units full of A+ or better soldiers and I still can't develop that shit. That's insane.

Nerfing some of the resource grinding too? Bullshit, that's not the right way of going about it. This way forces players online into FOBs to get their stuff after a certain point. Or forces you to wait for the automatic mining. There are already timers on processing the shit, throw us a bone Konami...

If it's real time 12 days where you don't have to keep the game raining then that is,as sad as it is, fine by me.

I play MGSV once a week now and I don't have time to build things that take in-game hours, and I rather deploy troops and build things online so when I come back, it is done.

12 days is fucking bad, but I rather not pay Konami a penny.

Had my security lvl at around lvl 24 last time I played 2 weeks ago. Logged in and now I see that they are lvl 4. FoBs fucking suck. lol.

Top Bottom