• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami preparing for the next MGS

GavinUK86

http://kotaku.com/konami-needs-lots-of-money-for-the-next-metal-gear-soli-1740241143

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has proven to be a hit, selling five million copies worldwide. According to today’s Nikkei, the Tokyo-based fitness company has began internal talks about the next Metal Gear title.

The print edition of Nikkei (via 2ch) reports that Konami is mulling over plans for another title in the popular stealth series. The newspaper adds that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who is apparently on vacation, has not said whether or not he’ll be involved in the next title.

“When we start development, a large-scale investment will become necessary,” Konami is quoted as saying by the recent Nikkei article.

LOL

Guessing it'll be an Assassin's Creed style sequel that comes out Fall 2017 that is almost mechanically identical to MGSV with some new minor mechanics and new weapons/vehicles/buddies.

iMax

The newspaper adds that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who is apparently on vacation, has not said whether or not he’ll be involved in the next title.

We are waiting with bated breath.

Deft Beck

I will not be surprised if they tried to make another major MGS game that does everything they wanted to do if Kojima was not around to say no.

Like most franchises where the creator(s) have left the production reins, I do not expect it to have its own identity going forward.

glaurung

Are they still saying he's on vacation?
Here's last season's Kojima, enjoying his vacation!

hqdefault.jpg

It's from Running Man in case you don't get the joke.

Does Konami have any good developers left? Or will they just outsource it to mediocre studios in the west and kill it slowly like Silent Hill?

Cool. Please make sure it has cutscenes, over-the-top ridiculousness, decent voice-acting and no open-space bigger than the GZ map.

Drencrom

the newspaper adds that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who is apparently on vacation, has not said whether or not he’ll be involved in the next title.

How can they (Konami) get away with blatantly fucking lying about his departure from the company like this? It's a well-known fact that guy have been fired already ffs

Symphonia

Banned
Why is everyone assuming it will be a Metal Gear Solid game? The 'Solid' saga is over and done with now, with Phantom Pain wrapping it up in one tidy parcel. I daresay we will see a new Metal Gear game, but I reckon it will be seperate from the Big Boss/Solid Snake saga, and will drop the 'Solid' from the name.

Arttemis

MGS3: Fox Engine Remaster

I'd be stoke if they took the Fox Engine and used it to recreate MGS3 in a seamless, open world with all of the original story and voice acting. That Fox Engine gameplay and AI is too great to abandon. They'd have to enlarge each forrest-y corridor and fill in all the gaps for the locales, but it's a dead on ringer for a remake. I'm also pissed there was no real forest in MGSV.

Or, for the love of God, make Metal Gear RIsing 2.

Ricky_R

I may get some shit for it, but I will not write the next MGS off, regardless of whatever could've happened. While I didn't enjoy MGSV very much, I still have interest for the franchise overall and who knows what can they achieve, even if it's something quite distant from what Kojima would've done.

All providing that they're interested in making a proper game.

jiggles

Banned
"Hello, this is Konami"

"Yes, may I speak to Hideo Kojima?"

"Is this a joke?"

"No."

"So you haven't heard?"

"Heard what?"

"He's not here now"

"Ok, do you know how I can reach him?"

"No."

*click*

Hmm, must be on vacation

I can see it now

Putting in those quarters in that Pachinko machine

Getting a winning combo to hear Ocelot say,

"You're pretty good", over and over again.

If they're working on a proper game (rather than a MGS-skinned gambling machine), I'm totally interested to see how it turns out. After all, the best metal gear didn't have much Kojima involvement (which is METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE, for those having trouble keeping up).

Top Bottom