• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami puts up teaser page for Castlevania: Lord of Shadows sequel

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm surprised to see people trying to fit Lords of Shadow with existing Castlevania canon, it has always been sold as a "reboot" to the franchise as an alternate universe hasn't it?

Foffy

Banned
I'm surprised to see people trying to fit Lords of Shadow with existing Castlevania canon, it has always been sold as a "reboot" to the franchise as an alternate universe hasn't it?

I guess these are the same super hardcore fans that try to make every game work as canon, even Legends. I think the only single title that can't work no matter how hard one can try is Harmony of Despair. The whole premise of that game is a book has brought recorded history back to life, and you, the player, take up the role of one of the heroes recorded in the book, so it's not even the real characters.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

It is a reboot.

I guess these are the same super hardcore fans that try to make every game work as canon, even Legends. I think the only single title that can't work no matter how hard one can try is Harmony of Despair. The whole premise of that game is a book has brought recorded history back to life, and you, the player, take up the role of one of the heroes recorded in the book, so it's not even the real characters.

Dont forget Castlevania Judgment. lol

Endo Punk

Why can't Japanese developers make their own games in popular franchises? Do they hate when a series becomes too popular so they need to farm it to shit devs in order to rape the IP of its success?

NeoUltima

I for one cannot wait to see this. They should take what they learned from the first to make an even greater game this time.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
My view of LOS's story is that the developers really like the take the movie Van Helsing took on Dracula and wanted to emulate it. It was pretty much already a Castlevania movie, so no wonder Konami would turn it back into its own. The "true ending" also tells me that the developers also really liked Gargoyles. If it just so happens to turn out that Gabriel and Zobek lives are somehow bonded to each other... know where that came from.

If this is true then it's weird because it implies
Simon is Dracula. Thing is, LOS doesn't really contradict this since Gabriel refers to himself as "Dracul."
That will depend on whatever branch of fan-fiction they choose to follow. And we have to keep in mind... All of this is just 115 years worth of fan-fiction. According to Bram Stoker's notes, "Dracula" means "devil." This "son of the dragon" stuff came later, after people tried to connect the character to a real historical figure. Gabriel is in the wrong place at the wrong time to fit that figure. Also, and this relates more specifically to your post, the title "Son" doesn't necessarily refer to a blood relative; it can refer any chosen heir or to someone being like, being of, or having characteristics of another. So it would still be fitting (and less convoluted) if they kept things they way they have it set up.

Why can't Japanese developers make their own games in popular franchises? Do they hate when a series becomes too popular so they need to farm it to shit devs in order to rape the IP of its success?

Well the 3D Castlevanias are unbearably bad, probably some of the most mediocre pieces of garbage out there. It'd be nice to see a 2D high res sprite based Castlevania but apparently that would cost too much money to make according to Iga. I dunno. I think a 2.5D Castlevania with Super Castlevania IV's fluidity and mechanics would be awesome, though.

Top Bottom