Konami Q1 operating income surges to ¥11.6 billion as MGS4 achieves sensational sales

#1
1. Consolidated Financial Results for the First Quarter Ended June 30, 2008

(Millions of Yen, except per share data)


Net Revenues 70,805 (+16.7%)

Operating Income 11,611 (+65.6%)

Net Income 5,664 (+46.6%)


-“Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots” shipped over 3 million units worldwide.

-MGS Series had accounted for cumulative sales of more than 25 million units worldwide as of the end of June 2008.

- The METAL GEAR SOLID brand has continued to maintain its dynamic potential. Sales are still steadily increasing


FY2009 Q1

Unit Sales Platform Mix

Consoles

PS3 57.3 %

PS2 11.5 %

Wii 9.9 %

360 2.6 %


Handhelds

PSP 9.5 %

NDS 7.6 %


PC&Others

1.6%


Unit sales of video game software (Unit sales breakdown )

Geographic Areas (units in million)

Japan 1.93

North America 2.59

Europa 2.3

Asia 0.12

Total 6.94


Genre/Category (units in million)

Soccer 0.95

Baseball 0.36

TV Animated 0.3

Music 0.33

Metal Gear 3.94

Other 1.05

Total 6.94
 

jorma

is now taking requests
#3
Hmm does that mean that the MGS 'essential collection' sold nearly 1 million? That's pretty good as well, no?
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
#8
Great results for MGS4, etc...


But I admit I found this sales chart absolutely fascinating:


Genre/Category (units in million)

Soccer 0.95

Baseball 0.36

TV Animated 0.3

Music 0.33

Metal Gear 3.94

Other 1.05

Total 6.94


I mean, I realize MGS4 is a success, but this list just underscores how reliant the company is on Metal Gear.
 
#18
thrasher said:
The numbers would've been off the charts if a 360 version had been released
First the bump of the old FFXII thread to post old pics and now this gem of a post. You're on a roll today!
 
#19
thrasher said:
The numbers would've been off the charts if a 360 version had been released
Knowing what we know about Microsoft's licensing practices and costs regarding multiple disc releases on the 360(thanks to Mr. Carmack), I doubt it.

If Carmack can't justify a 3 DVD release of Rage I doubt Konami could justify a 6-DVD (or whatever) release of MGS4.

Congratulations to Konami and Kojima Productions on a great game and great $$ numbers :D
 
#20
fronn said:
ZOE3 won't happen... but:

An action game starring Raiden, by the team that did ZOE2 could be possible!
...

Kojipro did ZOE, no? (Or, at least, what would become kojipro since they might not have existed at that point.)
 
#22
zoku88 said:
...

Kojipro did ZOE, no? (Or, at least, what would become kojipro since they might not have existed at that point.)
Yeah, the co director of MGS4 was the director of ZOE2. He's likely the one taking over MGS for Kojima (assuming he's willing to actually give up the series).
 
#24
You know KojiPro's next game is gonna be amazing seeing as how they already have one of the most impressive (if not, THE most impressive) game engine. I'm hoping for something at TGS.
 
#26
SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, the co director of MGS4 was the director of ZOE2. He's likely the one taking over MGS for Kojima (assuming he's willing to actually give up the series).
Whoooa, wait. Kojima didn't direct ZOE2?

O god.. i never knew that (or wait, was he the producer... I get those two confused all of the time.)
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
#27
zoku88 said:
Whoooa, wait. Kojima didn't direct ZOE2?

O god.. i never knew that (or wait, was he the producer... I get those two confused all of the time.)
Kojima is the producer for all KojiPro games he doesn't direct(that would be everything except main Metal Gear games).
 
#29
Sage00 said:
Kojima is the producer for all KojiPro games he doesn't direct(that would be everything except main Metal Gear games).
Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought he directed all of those games.
 
#32
schuelma said:
Great results for MGS4, etc...


But I admit I found this sales chart absolutely fascinating:


Genre/Category (units in million)

Soccer 0.95

Baseball 0.36

TV Animated 0.3

Music 0.33

Metal Gear 3.94

Other 1.05

Total 6.94


I mean, I realize MGS4 is a success, but this list just underscores how reliant the company is on Metal Gear.
Considering PES has an entry every year, while mainline Metal Gear games are released every 3 - 3 1/2 years, I think it kinda evens out in the end. (Plus consider the huge difference in budget for those titles). It still makes Konami over-reliant on only two of their IPs, though. :p


edit: nice tag, btw.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
#33
Haunted One said:
Considering PES has an entry every year, while mainline Metal Gear games are released every 3 - 3 1/2 years, I think it kinda evens out in the end. (Plus consider the huge difference in budget for those titles). It still makes Konami over-reliant on only two of their IPs, though. :p


True.
 
#37
schuelma said:
I mean, I realize MGS4 is a success, but this list just underscores how reliant the company is on Metal Gear.
Note that this is sales during April - June only. I'd imagine that the quarters where PES releases or just quarters where mainline MGS doesn't release look very different.
 
#41
Opus Angelorum said:
Why not just release actual units sold? This will only lead to rampant speculation.
um, those are actual units sold to retailers. That's where Konami makes their money, selling their games to retailers.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
#47
Wollan said:
They will probably have a pretty good rest of the year.

Silent Hill Homecoming
Xmas sales of MGS4
PES2009

Don't forget Castlevania Judgment. It will sell millions
 
#49
Opus Angelorum said:
Why not just release actual units sold? This will only lead to rampant speculation.
They've always released shipped numbers. It's not like they're starting something new for MGS4. That's just how they are.