• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami reveals 50th Anniversary Collections: Castlevania, Contra & Arcade

Bullet Club

RIG2Anb.jpg

PvtCTZh.jpg

EiPSWVX.jpg

5AKvz6i.jpg

Update

Castlevania Anniversary Collection comes to PS4 on 16th May

- Castlevania
- Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
- Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse
- Super Castlevania IV
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Castlevania the Adventure
- Castlevania II Belmont’s Revenge
- Kid Dracula

Last edited:

Dthomp

Interesting for sure, kinda wish there would be a physical release. I'd pony up for something cool like this, especially if they could do a version with some artworks included.

kunonabi

Bloodlines better be on the Castlevania collection. I'd want Legends too but that's not going to happen.

trikster40

I’m assuming Simons Quest makes it onto the castlevania collection. No idea what other contra games they’ll put on there.

I’m in for all 3. Smart move, Konami. Just need physical editions with some kickass retro box art.

Belmonte

Awesome. I will probably get the Castlevania and Contra collections.

Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps are must haves for these collections. Would be great if they included Castlevania Chronicles and Contra 4 too.

Saber

Gold Member
For me if GBA and DS versions of Castlevania are out of it, I can ignore this collection easly.

Last edited:
we need the gba and ds castlevanias you fucks.
We need more than 8 games in the collection. You need the first 3 NES games, Super, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclasia to hit the high notes - but Bloodlines, Circle of the Moon, 64, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin are all excellent games that deserve more attention. I think we can safely ignore the GB, PS2, and digital-only games.

Orenji Neko

I am actually quite surprised, and pleasantly so. Hoping for Bloodlines, etc, but first impressions are good to me. I’m cautiously optimistic here.

Fake

I hope the DS Castlevania games are included, the DS elements were only ever gimmicks easily removed, I think only Dawn of Sorrow ever used the touch screen and the others just used the second screen for the map or menu, so you could very easily change them to work on a single screen.
I can't agree more. Dawn of Sorrow and Ecclesia are my favorite, in the order hand I hated that Portrain of Ruin.

zenspider

Put the Genesis and WiiWare games in the Castlevania and Contra collections and I'l be so happy.

All y'all need to slow down with the Metroidvania begging. This is all about the classics baby!

DiscoJer

Seriously? 8 arcade games? That's just sad. Especially since there is no Pooyan. Or Frogger. Or Time Pilot. Or Gyruss.

SALMORE

Hopefully we will get in the Contra Collection !

- NES Contra
- Hard Corps
- Operation C
- Contra Rebirth

Dada55000

The Contra and CV games seem to be in release order so far. So for CV that would mean games post 4, so no Simon's Quest, Adventure and Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle (which is already taken in the arcade collection anyway). Fingers crossed that the next 3 CV picks are Chronicles, Rondo and Bloodlines, bonus if the last one is Rebirth. Between those 4 games and the ones already in the package, it'd be a collection of all the good Classicvanias. I honestly hope they don't include Symphony and the handheld metroidvanias with the idea of a second collection just for them, because if those are in the running then a lot of good games will be left out from both CV types.

We need more than 8 games in the collection. You need the first 3 NES games, Super, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclasia to hit the high notes - but Bloodlines, Circle of the Moon, 64, Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin are all excellent games that deserve more attention. I think we can safely ignore the GB, PS2, and digital-only games.

Making 2 collections would be the better choice, with this first one focusing on classic style CV. Rondo, Chronicles, Bloodlines, Rebirth. Those are the picks to make for the last 4 slots. Then the second collection can be another 8 games, those being the metroidvanias. Symphony and the 6 handhelds+throw in something else.

I'd also say bin CV2, that game is not only poor and blatantly unfinished, but also really doesn't make sense as a sequel if you played the NES CV1. It's a followup to the MSX version of CV1, which had different gameplay elements that return in CV2. Ironically the real CV2 to CV on NES is CV3. The numbering really messes things up, especially when you realise the japanese names for the games aren't numbered, that a localisation thing.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Only 8 game per collection is a bit low, but I'll take all the Castlevania for my Switch I can get. Castlevania collection seems to include classicvanias only, so I hope the rest of the games are Rondo of Blood (perhaps even the remake, but probably not), Bloodlines, Chronicles & Adventure Rebirth. That would also explain how Belmont's Revenge is there, but Adventure is not.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I can’t help myself. I will buy the Castlevania and Contra collections. The arcade collection is meh so far.

Mecha Meow

Yeah, I'll buy them all on Steam (arcade stick, etc) if its digital only. If Switch was physical I'd buy it there instead.

That Arcade collection really needs all of the games and then some from previously released Konami Arcade Classics from the 90s/00s. 8 for $20 is pathetic but I'll put up with it since it comes with 4 damn good shmups.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, I'll buy them all on Steam (arcade stick, etc) if its digital only. If Switch was physical I'd buy it there instead.

That Arcade collection really needs all of the games and then some from previously released Konami Arcade Classics from the 90s/00s. 8 for $20 is pathetic but I'll put up with it since it comes with 4 damn good shmups.

It still lacks the best version of TwinBee... :/...

stranno

K should bring Harmony of Despair to new systems. IIRC only the PS3 version supported amazingly fun local coop (xbla was over net only) but when players are far from each other you cant see a shit because of the resolution. This game in 4k would be a blast.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
Capcom is in the middle of a renaissance with their most recent capstone being a mind meltingly awesome remake of one of their most popular resident evil titles. Konami gives us....roms...

PSFan

Why the hell are they putting the GameBoy Castlevania 2 in the collection instead of the NES version? Also, limiting each collection to only 8 games is dumb. There's plenty more games they could have put in the arcade collection.

Hudo

Obviously, the remaining Castlevanias will be Castlevania: Judgment, Castlevania N64, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

Maguro

Thats one collection where the physical would make a lot of sense. Not buying digital games for 20 bucks. If it comes physical i might buy it even though i own the games original. Maybe they put a nice CRT Filter on it like Capcom did with their Arcade Collection.

Airola

The real question here is does it include Castlevania Rebirth, Contra Rebirth and Gradius Rebirth (the WiiWare games)...

Last edited:

Hudo

Hey now, Lament of Innocence is not bad at all, even if it's got some flaws.
I haven't played it but it's the only PS2 Castlevania that I remember the name of. I know that there's another PS2 Castlevania but I haven't played that either.

I've played Castlevania N64, however... it gives "What a horrible night to have a curse!" a new meaning.

Deft Beck

Pretty lazy collection unless they're willing to do more than trot out SotN again.

Give me the GBA and DS Vania games.

I haven't played it but it's the only PS2 Castlevania that I remember the name of. I know that there's another PS2 Castlevania but I haven't played that either.

I've played Castlevania N64, however... it gives "What a horrible night to have a curse!" a new meaning.

If you haven't played it then you shouldn't be dissing it like it's a terrible game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seriously? 8 arcade games? That's just sad. Especially since there is no Pooyan. Or Frogger. Or Time Pilot. Or Gyruss.
Yeah, they could've blown the SNK 40th collection completely out of the water.

Wonder if there will eventually be a physical compilation.

Top Bottom