• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Trademarks Harmony of Despair

Haunted

What's the over/under of it featuring the Medusa Head sprite again?

Order of Ecclesia was great, the best of the DS CVs so far, imo.

Ridley327

With Yamane gone, I wonder who they'd get to fill her place. Maybe Koshiro could come back!

Ecclesia perfected the combat that the series had long tried to attempt and for that alone it's great, but the platforming is still as lame as it has been since SotN. The Training Room, though, proved that there's some guys at Konami who can create great platforming challenges, so if that can be integrated into the main game a lot better, I think we could be looking at a real classic.

Dascu

infinityBCRT said:
I'm hoping they give it the Shadow Complex treatment.
I'm all for a change of look, but most 2.5D games, Shadow Complex and Dracula X Chronicles included, don't look anywhere near as good as real 2D sprite-based games.

Sciz

Ridley327 said:
With Yamane gone, I wonder who they'd get to fill her place. Maybe Koshiro could come back!
I'd love for Sotaro Tojima to do a full soundtrack. The original tracks he wrote for Circle of the Moon were incredible.

Ridley327

Dascu said:
I'm all for a change of look, but most 2.5D games, Shadow Complex and Dracula X Chronicles included, don't look anywhere near as good as real 2D sprite-based games.

I think that Ultimate Ghouls 'n Ghosts proved that you can do 2.5D visuals that are extremely faithful to the original spritework, so I think it's just a matter of effort. Whether or not that IGA is up to making 3D models and backgrounds that good is another story. :lol

I'm still not sure as to how this could be a sequel to Dissonance, but the Castlevania storyline is nothing if not retcon happy.

Ananaz

Sciz said:
I'd love for Sotaro Tojima to do a full soundtrack. The original tracks he wrote for Circle of the Moon were incredible.
I really liked his tracks too, but he's not at Konami anymore either. Apparently he left Konami/KojiPro to join 343 Industries along with Ryan Payton (and some others, I guess) a while back. I imagine Yasuhiro Ichihashi would be their first choice as the composer if Yamane were not to return, since he worked on both DXC and Ecclesia.

Can't really see what point in making a sequel to Harmony of Dissonance would be, but I'm pretty sure IGA did in fact mention it as a possibility in some interview years ago.

People need to slow down on the Castlevania, this could be the oft rumored goth influenced DDR game. -> -> <- <- MOPE MOPE MOPE MOPE -> <-

Swittcher

Banned
Super Castlevania Judgment: The Cursed Dark Portrait of the Harmony of Dissonance's Despair Concerning Ecclesia's Sorrowful Symphony of Bloodlines.

Dascu

Swittcher said:
Super Castlevania Judgment: The Cursed Dark Portrait of the Harmony of Dissonance's Despair Concerning Ecclesia's Sorrowful Symphony of Bloodlines X
Fixed that for ya.

Dascu

Swittcher said:
Konami's Best: Super Castlevania Judgment: The Cursed Dark Portrait of the Harmony of Dissonance's Despair Concerning Ecclesia's Sorrowful Symphony of Bloodlines X ft Rondo
Forgot that.

Jocchan said:
Castlevania Metal of Gods plzkthxbye.
I think you mean Metal of Melancholy. Or how about an urban setting: Rap of Regret?

Edit: The latter could have a soundtrack by Bone Thugs N Harmony. It just makes too much sense.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just hoping this shakes some of the 2D gameplay up. Then again I've been kinda behind in my Castlevania... still haven't played Order of Eccelsia or Rebirth yet. I kinda got burned out on Igavania a while back sadly.

Of course, everything would have to be sprites again... <3

mclem

ITA84 said:
Am I the only one who sees this? Harmony of Despair - HD.

I must have missed the point where Castlevania: Order of Shadows - the mobile phone one - was an operating system.

forrest

formerly nacire
Sorry to be off-topic a bit but, I have yet to play any of the DS Castlevania's. Any particular one stand out amongst the others?

Foffy

Banned
MechaX said:
I wouldn't be opposed to an Igavania at this point, provided that IGA has used this time to actually push the concept forward rather than just turning out re-treads of SotN hoping to occasionally make fluke successes (Aria, Ecclesia).

I agree with this, but I'd toss in Adventure Rebirth and Dracula X Chronicles under his belt, even though those are traditionally staged based.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh, I'm totally game for a new REAL Castlevania (or Metroidvania)!
Can't wait for the inevitable reveal.

Nirolak said:
I'm going to agree with the article's assessment that this pretty much has to be a Castlevania game.

Now the real question is though, what platform do we think it's coming for? It's worth noting that Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow showed up very early in the DS's lifecycle.

makes enough sense. 3DS launch title I would guess If I had to?

Cirlce of Moon - GBA
Dawn of Sorrow - early DS
Harmony of Despar - 3DS launch

plus the last 2d Castlevania was what, Eclessia, and that's pushing close to 2 years old w/o a new title announced yet.

Foffy

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
makes enough sense. 3DS launch title I would guess If I had to?

Cirlce of Moon - GBA
Dawn of Sorrow - early DS
Harmony of Despar - 3DS launch

plus the last 2d Castlevania was what, Eclessia, and that's pushing close to 2 years old w/o a new title announced yet.

Adventure Rebirth was the last 2D game.

Dascu said:
The art style of Dracula X Chronicles looks messy and awful IMO based on a few screenshots I just saw on IGN.

As far as Shadow Complex goes, I'll admit its a little uninspired/generic but it doesn't necessarily look bad. I think it has more to do with the choice of colour palette and the art style than a game being 2D or 3D in terms of whether a platformer looks good. I can think of awful looking 2D platformers too with lots of browns and not much contrast between the background and foreground objects.

Ridley327

I really don't have anything against them if they're either reusing the title or it is a sequel. I would have something against them if it's as unbearably tedious or has as awful a soundtrack as its namesake.

Top Bottom