• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Trademarks Harmony of Despair

Dascu

thetrin said:
Re-suing assets makes a game bad now? You probably shouldn't play any Capcom fighters with Morrigan in them, then.
They could've at least made some new areas or enemies. Everything other than the HUD and menu elements is re-used. It's cheap, it's stupid and it's an utter waste of "HD".

Ridley327

The issue is that Order of Ecclesia was, by and large, a huge shot in the arm for the series and went a long way towards proving that IGA could do something different with the formula (the new focus on combat mechanics over the mostly inane platforming of his previous entries) and have it be an unqualified success. To go from that to a repackaged game mode from a five-year old game is disheartening, to say the least. I'm not saying that this means that whatever new Castlevania game that they're working on won't be great, but this is definitely not an effective stop-gap until we get to that game's release. I still don't know who this game is for.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jett said:
With one guy posting a link to a website that requires me to have an account to read and the other not posting a source to check the screens I'm kind of fucking annoyed right now.
Site was down, so I was reposting my cache, thanks.

thetrin said:
Agreed. Lament was a perfectly serviceable game. I never got the hate.

But the last 10 years of using Morrigan didn't?
The last ten years they haven't used the Morrigan sprite.

They made a new model for TvC and a new model for MvC3.

Your analogy sucks, live with it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dascu said:
They could've at least made some new areas or enemies. Everything other than the HUD and menu elements is re-used. It's cheap, it's stupid and it's an utter waste of "HD".

No question, but I don't think this is the Castlevania HD you were hoping for. This is probably like the Castlevania version of Tetra Trackers that if XBLA didn't exist, would have been rolled up into a bigger project.

ShockingAlberto said:
The last ten years they haven't used the Morrigan sprite.

They made a new model for TvC and a new model for MvC3.

Your analogy sucks, live with it.

Wow. Does the internet make you a dick, or are you like that naturally?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Flying_Phoenix said:
People actually think it isn't possible to create 2D games with HD graphics despite them existing? "Cute" indeed.
Sure.

Name one that looks as good or better than Odin Sphere or Muramasa, which are both SD.

Braid? Nope. Castle Crashers. Hell no. SSFIITHDRXXX? LOLOLOLOL.

Rondo of Blood sprites in HD finally. If Iga would try keeping grinding out of a Castlevania game for once it might force him not to take the lazy route and put some actual effort into designing the game. Looking at those screens though, it looks like lvl.99 lazy design is confirmed. :lol

Princess Skittles said:
Sure.

Name one that looks as good or better than Odin Sphere or Muramasa, which are both SD.

I could go on and list some games or talk about my own experience (2D animation is my hobby), but this easily destroys your point.

"GK: Well, the original art we draw is all done in double-size -- in the case of Muramasa, the animation frames then get compressed down to the Wii's native resolution. As a result, producing a fully HD title would not be a great deal of extra work for us; it would just mean our original art is displayed in higher resolution. It wouldn't be a simple insert -- we retouch the compressed graphics here and there to make sure they look as good as possible -- but it's not restarting from scratch, either."

Seriously some people need to get educated on the basics of 2D animation if they think that a video game with 2D graphics in HD is anywhere near difficult. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Princess Skittles said:
Sure.

Well, let's face it. Kamitani and Vanillaware proved that you don't need HD to make sprite based games look beautiful.

(SRW Z battle sprites were drawn in HD btw)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
thetrin said:
To be honest, Uncharted wasn't screaming out for multiplayer either, and Uncharted 2's Deathmatch is pretty awesome.

And Uncharted is basically Gears of War + platforming. Considering how fun Gears multiplayer could be when it wasn't suffering from Secret of Mana levels of glitch diarrhea, and considering the pedigree of Naughty Dog, imagining a fun multiplayer game using Uncharted's established formula of gunplay and platforming wasn't a huge stretch. The surprise there was Naughty Dog going above and beyond that basic formula.

This has no such prior evidence backing it up, and certainly does not have the pedigree. I enjoy me some Metroidvania, but as you already noted, Iga doesn't have a good track record period, much less outside of his usual schtick.

Big One

Banned
LaneDS said:
Great looking games, but SD resolution still.
It doesn't have to be with Dolphin (srsly). I mean, all four of those games can be rendered in HD in some form or another, and they look great doing so. I mean, why exactly does it matter that the game is in HD in resolution or not? The sprites are certainly extremely well drawn and animated to the point where they're already optimized to work in higher resolutions. The original point of his post that it's impossible, and it's very clear that it's not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Princess Skittles said:
Sure.

Sure?
You said they weren't possible, when they exist.
Not that they look better than "x".

Also those two games you mentioned Odin, and Muramasa were drawn a very high resolution then shrunk down for SD.

EDIT: Beaten on the last point.

thetrin

BreakyBoy said:
And Uncharted is basically Gears of War + platforming. Considering how fun Gears multiplayer could be when it wasn't suffering from Secret of Mana levels of glitch diarrhea, and considering the pedigree of Naughty Dog, imagining a fun multiplayer game using Uncharted's established formula of gunplay and platforming wasn't a huge stretch. The surprise there was Naughty Dog going above and beyond that basic formula.

This has no such prior evidence backing it up, and certainly does not have the pedigree. I enjoy me some Metroidvania, but as you already noted, Iga doesn't have a good track record period, much less outside of his usual schtick.

Pretty much. I'm keeping an open mind, though. If it sucks, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

I guess this is no loss for me. Lords of Shadow seems far more interesting than any Metroidvania retread IGA could shit out at this point, anyway.

Ridley327

Dascu said:
Do we actually know if this is Igarashi working on it? Might be something outsourced for a quick buck.

We have no details in that regard, but it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't have his hand in it due to the assets being ripped straight from his games.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I guess it depends on your definition of fine. It's not bereft of entertainment value, but it's enormously flawed from the design level all the way up.

I dunno. Given what it was in the environment it was in, I think it was what I wanted out of a 3D Castlevania game. Do I wish they had continued making PS2 installments refining that formula and making the lesser elements much better? Absolutely.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Flying_Phoenix said:
Seriously some people need to get educated on the basics of 2D animation if they think that a video game with 2D graphics in HD is anywhere near difficult. :lol
It's so easy the market is FLOODED with them.

Big One said:
It doesn't have to be with Dolphin (srsly). I mean, all four of those games can be rendered in HD in some form or another, and they look great doing so. I mean, why exactly does it matter that the game is in HD in resolution or not? The sprites are certainly extremely well drawn and animated to the point where they're already optimized to work in higher resolutions. The original point of his post that it's impossible, and it's very clear that it's not.

That's because HD only affects 2D games that use pixel art graphics instead of vector art. Unlike vector art, the images don't scale with an increase in size or resolution, resulting in the artist having to make the image at same exact size of the resolution they're targeting dot by dot. For an example of this, you know how you can increase the size of your folders and icons on your desktop and there isn't a loss in quality in them, but when you enlarge the screen when playing an emulated SNES/Genesis game they loss a lot of image quality? That's why.

It's a lot more work making a 2D game in pixel art than vector art. This is why Blazblue is technically the most best looking 2D game out there.

Princess Skittles said:
It's so easy the market is FLOODED with them.

The reason why 2D-2D games are so rare is because the market prefers games with 3D graphics not 2D.

the idea sounds awesome... but only xbox? noooooooooo way

and these screens are looking toooo ugly to be real

i HOPE this is a fake (because i love castlevania)

Princess Skittles said:
Sure.

Do you have any idea how hand-drawn sprites are created?

Hint: They are not drawn on post-it notes and then scanned into a computer at Windows 3.1 resolutions.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dallow_bg said:
Wow, 2nd time you've moved the goalpost! :lol
I'll admit that I worded my first post badly/vaguely, but I have not changed my meaning or stance on this. By "a possibility" I meant as in whether or not it would happen, not whether or not it could be done. And to further clarify.. I'm specifically talking about people asking for "Hard Drawn 1080p HD Sprites." The people asking for that aren't asking for something that looks like Castle Crashers.

But we do have one example though, BlazBlue. thumbsup.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Princess Skittles said:
I'll admit that I worded my first post badly/vaguely, but I have not changed my meaning or stance on this. By "a possibility" I meant as in whether or not it would happen, not whether or not it could be done. And to further clarify.. I'm specifically talking about people asking for "Hard Drawn 1080p HD Sprites." The people asking for that aren't asking for something that looks like Castle Crashers.

But we do have one example though, BlazBlue. thumbsup.gif
Your very own Muramasa is another example, before it was scaled down to SD resolution. As was posted above, with comments by the devs themselves.
In fact, all recent games with hand drawn 2D are exactly this.

2vmgen7.jpg

2rfprh1.png

koji igarashi, ladies and gents

Phenomic

While I am totally for a game like this and I think it would be a lot of fun to run through with my friends. I'm skeptical because the characters that you can play should not be able to exist in the same game. As they are all from vastly different eras with Alucard being the outlier.

Though my brother brings up a good point maybe one of them will just get everyones body parts, put them in a bag, and bring them back to life to re kill them later in the game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Phenomic said:
While I am totally for a game like this and I think it would be a lot of fun to run through with my friends. I'm skeptical because the characters that you can play should not be able to exist in the same game. As they are all from vastly different eras with Alucard being the outlier.

Though my brother brings up a good point maybe one of them will just get everyones body parts, put them in a bag, and bring them back to life to re kill them later in the game.
It's a party game, not a serious entry.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dallow_bg said:
Your very own Muramasa is another example, before it was scaled down to SD resolution. As was posted above, with comments by the devs themselves.
In fact, all recent games with hand drawn 2D are exactly this.
Hmm, I thought (or assumed, I should say) that BlazBue was still done the "old way," aka pixel by pixel (at least to some degree). I've only seen it in an arcade briefly so I could be wrong, but it seemed that have that feel to it, as opposed to Odin Sphere/Muramasa, which visually feel differently, like, hard drawn images scanned it (as explained above).

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
This is probably fake, but consider me surprised. I love the concept of multiple playable characters and co-op in a Metroidvania. I don't really care about sprite reuse either.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, I thought (or assumed, I should say) that BlazBue was still done the "old way," aka pixel by pixel (at least to some degree). I've only seen it in an arcade briefly so I could be wrong, but it seemed that have that feel to it, as opposed to Odin Sphere/Muramasa, which visually feel differently, like, hard drawn images scanned it (as explained above).
Oh ok, I see what you're saying. Yes, Blazblue is different, with the crazy hard HD pixel art. This is the rare one, and I think, only one!

Muramasa and company, are the hand drawn style HD style. This is the common one.
Not flooded of course, since people still want 3D only. :sigh:

That's why I'm looking forward to Might and Magic: Clash of Titans for PSN/XBLA.

KAL2006

Banned
This is most likely fake. Konami wouldn't reused pixelated sprites for HD consoles and have half assed mini castles just because there is multiplayer, or would they?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
KAL2006 said:
This is most likely fake. Konami wouldn't reused pixelated sprites for HD consoles and have half assed mini castles just because there is multiplayer, or would they?
Retro is in!

gumshoe

Banned
Oh wow, I had no idea that these pics were from "leaks", I honestly thought that they were from Dawn of Sorrow. :lol

I am not sure how I feel about this. :\ The screens look very fake to me

Top Bottom