• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Trademarks Harmony of Despair

Alright, alright, I'm calling it, now: the concept (six player boss time attack) may be legit, but the god damn screens have to be fake. Different font styles all over the place, squished character portraits, I refuse to believe this is real.

Lijik

ITA84 said:
Am I the only one who sees this? Harmony of Despair - HD.

I was about to post the same thing actually.

EDIT- Wait this is 8 pages? How come I didnt notice this thread earlier. Wow

I'm not the type to jump on the hate train, but this looks absolutely awful. I would prefer 3D over the same low-res sprites they've been using for years. Everything about those screens makes it look like something a single programmer hacked up in a month.

Vorador said:
ROLFMAO

This is the most shameless thing i've seen this generation. :lol IGA has balls of steel

This is HILARIOUS! It's like a weird dream. It's kind of fun in a depressing way to watch Konami drive a truck into its beloved old franchises. Now where's that Silent Hill II FPS?

Nessus

Chemo said:
I've run out of reasons and bullet lists about how terrible and unforgivable his 'work' is... any reiteration of my previous posts on the matter would simply be retreads. At this point all I can really do is laugh at it, and wait for people to jump on the Harmony of Despair Defense Force, and then hang my head in disbelief.

I just don't know how to respond to someone who apparently thinks Aria was a bad game.

Yes, Iga is derivative, and yes Circle Of The Moon sucked and Harmony Of Dissonance wasn't that good, but Aria was easily one of the best games I've played in years (didn't get around to it until after the DS came out).

I honestly feel it is a better, tighter game, with a superior upgrade path, map, and soul collecting mechanic than Symphony Of The Night.

Which is not to say I'll be defending this new game if all it is is this boss rush mode. If there is a full Metroidvania somehow in here, I'll try to keep an open mind. I don't take it as a personal affront that they might reuse old pixel art and then use the added power of HD consoles to increase the scale of everything, but I'm not hopeful.

pulga

Banned
ITA84 said:
Am I the only one who sees this? Harmony of Despair - HD.

This just made me leave the thread at the first page. *facepalm*

no my post doesnt count im closing this window as soon as i hit subit reply

Edit: ok I go back on my word :lol Wtf this is an old thread, and apparently it IS for HD consoles? Oh, IGA. Now to find these crappy screens you guys are bitching about.

Beth Cyra

Well this is all kinds of confusing to me.

I mean why the hell is Soma out front? Sure he was the star of the two popular GBA and DS games but there is no way he is as well known or liked as Alucard, and where the hell is Simon (I would argue that Alucard has become more popular then Simon since SOTN but I can see the otherside). I just don't know why they would put him on the front like they are show casing the character.

Also did the Alucard game get scrapped for this...nonsense? If it did then I don't know which I hate more this stuff or Lords of Shadows, probably this since at least so far Lords actually seems like some one cares even if I don't like the direction they are going in.

Instro

TruePrime said:
Also did the Alucard game get scrapped for this...nonsense? If it did then I don't know which I hate more this stuff or Lords of Shadows, probably this since at least so far Lords actually seems like some one cares even if I don't like the direction they are going in.

I believe both the Alucard game and LoS were possible options for the HD Castlevania but they went with LoS. So I guess its scrapped, but who knows.

Beth Cyra

Instro said:
I believe both the Alucard game and LoS were possible options for the HD Castlevania but they went with LoS. So I guess its scrapped, but who knows.

Well that is what I always believed. I don't know I guess since it seemed like it was cancled I really hoped Iga would be deving a new game for the 3DS, be it the 99 game or they translated the Alucard game to a handheld game.

Either way this is not what I was hoping for. Hopefully that will go away soon though and I wil enjou it for what it is. Just sucks I have never been into boss rush modes in the other games so I doubt this will take with me either damn it.

Bebpo

Banned
So this is like monster hunter/peace walker/pso "mission" game? Work with your buddies online to get through small bite-sized stages and a boss?

Or is this going to be time attack races to see who can beat these small stages first and rank high on the leaderboards.

If it's the first one I am down for <$10.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
So this is like monster hunter/peace walker/pso "mission" game? Work with your buddies online to get through small bite-sized stages and a boss?

Or is this going to be time attack races to see who can beat these small stages first and rank high on the leaderboards.

If it's the first one I am down for <$10.

That's exactly how I was looking at it.

Ridley327

Nessus said:
Yes, Iga is derivative, and yes Circle Of The Moon sucked and Harmony Of Dissonance wasn't that good, but Aria was easily one of the best games I've played in years (didn't get around to it until after the DS came out).

Although I'd place Chemo's sanity at somewhere between "near-death delirium" and "fever dream after OD'ing on barbiturates" when it comes to his depreciation of the series since IGA took over, IGA actually had nothing to do with Circle of the Moon. The now-defunct KCEK (yes, the guys who did the N64 games) were the developers behind it.

Salz01

I dont think we are ever going to get a good Castlevania game anymore. My inner fanboy just threw in the towel.

I'm tired of waiting.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
grandjedi6 said:

Well dammit all.

How many more things is this guy going to leak before Microsoft does something?
Didn't they nerf his XBL account? Last time I checked it was empty so I assumed a ban.

RyanDG

InfiniteNine said:
Didn't they nerf his XBL account? Last time I checked it was empty so I assumed a ban.

If I had to take a wild guess, he turned on his privacy settings so that he could leak more partnernet data without having the gamertag trail online.

Foffy

Banned
Salz01 said:
I dont think we are ever going to get a good Castlevania game anymore. My inner fanboy just threw in the towel.

I'm tired of waiting.

We got a good Castlevania game a few months ago, in the form of Adventure Rebirth.

Chemo said:
HahahahahahahAHAHAHAhahahah. I can't wait to hear the IGA apologists defending this when we get more info/screens... or even saying things like "It's better than Symphony of the Night." :lol

I can't stop laughing. This is your beloved IGA, GAF. Keep on sticking up for this hack and his shitware.

Not that I'm for what's on display with those screens, which I'm sure are fake btw, but if you laugh at "It's better than Symphony of the Night", then you're an idiot of the First Installment Wins kind.

Nessus said:
I just don't know how to respond to someone who apparently thinks Aria was a bad game.

I honestly feel it is a better, tighter game, with a superior upgrade path, map, and soul collecting mechanic than Symphony Of The Night.

Which is not to say I'll be defending this new game if all it is is this boss rush mode. If there is a full Metroidvania somehow in here, I'll try to keep an open mind. I don't take it as a personal affront that they might reuse old pixel art and then use the added power of HD consoles to increase the scale of everything, but I'm not hopeful.

Hear hear. Exactly how I feel about AoS. It got rid of much of the fat present between SotN and HoD.

Well, they have IGA doing anything in the Konami HQ crying because they took his "child" from him, the guy need to do something to justify his salary, right?, but Konami don't give a shit about 2D Catlevania anymore so he is not going to get a big pile of money or company resources.

I got Castlevania Chronicles off PSN.
Boy that game pisses me off.
Still better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Looking at this new Castlevania makes me feel like I am getting pissed on.

:|

Don't really want. The concept is an intriguing one, but I'd like to have an actual HD 2D Castlevania game.

Great excuse to reuse old assets, though!

Dascu

abstract alien said:
I don't mind he graphics at all, looks fine to me. Everything else discussed however...
Well, they're the same as the DS titles. Also funny how all of the characters on the playable list are from the DS titles. I mean, come on, Jonathan and Charlotte? No one liked those. I'd really love to call bull on this news. It really looks like a fanmade flash project.

Ananaz

No wonder Konami didn't announce this at Gamer's Night, they must have been afraid it might upstage Lords of Shadow!

If this turns out to be true, I can only assume these are from a very very early build (isn't that even the Nintendo DS WFC icon in one of the shots? :lol). Not that I'd be interested in fighting the same ol' bosses in coop, anyway. Would make more sense if they were simply porting the DS/GBA games for XBLA and PSN. :p

Rad-

That looks like really low budget (wtf is with the menus? I can do better with MS paint :lol ) but I'm still interested. Co-op sounds awesome.

Awesome! :D Not really interested in the multiplayer but atleast i can play single too. And the reused sprites should not come as a suprise to anyone... They just should not call it HD when it clearly is not :D

And i hope this is a multiplatform game.

Otacon

mrscy1.png

so...why is there a DS Reception Strength Icon in the upper left corner? (next to the "Preparing"):lol
must be fake
or...also coming to ds
either way, does not look too good, though the co-op concept sounds kinda nice

Ridley327

Using a generic wi-fi connection icon to measure ping on a console game is hardly new territory.

Besides, the DS wi-fi connection indicator is only three bars.

Otacon said:
so...why is there a DS Reception Strength Icon in the upper left corner? (next to the "Preparing"):lol
must be fake
or...also coming to ds
That's not a DS Reception Strength Icon. It's a standard icon for showing connections, wireless or otherwise, particularly prevalent in Japan.

Aru

Dascu said:
Well, they're the same as the DS titles. Also funny how all of the characters on the playable list are from the DS titles. I mean, come on, Jonathan and Charlotte? No one liked those. I'd really love to call bull on this news. It really looks like a fanmade flash project.

The characters themselves are pretty generic, but they were fun to play. PoR is my favorite DS CV game after all. Too bad it has that generic anime design. If we could take the character design of Ecclesia and put in into PoR, it would be so awesome :D

Anyway, this game intrigues me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The "writing in a book" look is so poorly done. Looks freaking worse than the opening to N64 Castlevania.

I can't even imagine upscaling GBA or DS sprites to HD resolution. I look at the shots but it just doesn't capture the true horror. PSP games "upscaled" to HD look like pure garbage. I can't even believe they'd go further than that.

I mean, did no one even look to edit the text in the menus? "Select a character to play as." What? Who thought that was the most efficient way to say CHOOSE A CHARACTER?

Ridley327

I'm not sure I quite understand the upscaling issue since SotN is already available on XBLA and PSN and it looks just like this game does (SotN and the DS games are almost identical when it comes to resolution). I mean, I get the argument about the game not being redrawn and reusing assets, but upscaling them doesn't strike me as being one of the bigger problems the game has as of right now.

It just boils down to it being DoS's Arrange Mode being repackaged and slightly repurposed; that's worth getting angry about.

Noogy

People are getting too hung up on HD graphics.

This...

2vmgen7.jpg

... looks absolutely beautiful to me. Reused sprites? Perhaps. But I still prefer them to 95% of the stuff out there. Bring it!

Otacon said:
mrscy1.png

must be fake
or...also coming to ds

Every thing looks bad presentation wise.

Soma's picture in the gameplay screen is Stretched out. Whoever made up the menu's probably didn't get a Graphic Design degree. It looks too fake for me.

Top Bottom