• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Korean games, or where I've been all this years

UnNamed

Banned
I was reading that thread about videogame's asses when I saw a picture of those korean MMO, so I decided to find the name of that game and I stumbled upon a youtube channel about korean games and... why nobody has ever told me they are so beautiful?
This is the channel, rendermax - YouTube (not my channel)
Incredible graphics, beautiful girls, lot of anime games Genshin Impact style but better. I was never fond of Korean mobile games, but at this point why wasting my time in japanese games anymore? Chinese games and Korean games seems more appealing than the usual japanese games. Also korean anime tits> Japan anime tits.
Enlight me or suggest me more games, please.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
I don't see much Korean and Chinese games recognition as Japanese games,

What's the closest thing they have to an iconic animal mascot like Sonic, or a ongoing RPG series?

eot

Banned
I used to play a shit MMO called KAL-Online.

Also a bit of Lineage 2, mainly in the beta, but both of those were grind fests honestly.

Fuz

Banned

Hey this looks pretty good. They really need to lower character lightning, toh.
Lol @ Fischl at 2:08. Animu design is so audacious and original. *yawn*

I used to play a shit MMO called KAL-Online.

Also a bit of Lineage 2, mainly in the beta, but both of those were grind fests honestly.
Lineage 2 art direction was awesome.
I used to play Legend of Mir 2. An insane korean grindfest. Had some weird charm, though.

I don't see much Korean and Chinese games recognition as Japanese games,

What's the closest thing they have to an iconic animal mascot like Sonic, or a ongoing RPG series?
Genshin Impact has got a lot of people fooled. It's the Superdry or Miniso of video games. Trying to pass as Japanese when it really isn't.

Crimson Desert could be breakthrough that pushes Korean games into the West mainstream. Never saw anything look so good (but I won’t be fooled so easily, no).

Very same grind feats.
Op your title should have been Korean women where have I been these years.

the new lineage eternal that uses isometric camera looks like amazing tbh. Probably another grind fest though.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Fbh

While Korea makes a lot of cool looking games, it's a shame that almost their entire industry is focused on grindy MMO's.

If more korean studios made single player stuff I honestly think they'd be better knowns and liked in the west. If I was Microsoft I'd give up on trying to get Japan and I'd invest in having some Korean studios makes exclusives.

Komatsu

Genshin Impact has got a lot of people fooled. It's the Superdry or Miniso of video games. Trying to pass as Japanese when it really isn't.

One has to admire the grift: the only thing Japanese about Miniso is the small design team they supposedly have in Tokyo - everything else is Chinese.

Genshin Impact as well: miHoyo put a lot of emphasis on the Japanese seyuus hired to voice their characters, released a manga illustrated by Japanese artists, etc. etc.

Tschumi

I know there's nothing wrong with a bit of fun, bit of butt, only I'm getting tired of games like this and automata and stuff just playing wangs like so many fiddles for a buck.. if people are complaining about gay characters, and such, being more and more overt in games, then surely these games join the examples of hetero games that are nauseatingly sexualised~ that boss battle video, i just saw the opening few seconds of footage and her lovely juicy ass squeezing around a battlefield and i started to resent the booty - a resentment i resent hugely. Good thing my wife's ass transcends all.

Also, I've officially ceased to be impressed by the looks of big eyed, stylised manga and anime characters. It's all toooo samey.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Hey this looks pretty good. They really need to lower character lightning, toh.
Lol @ Fischl at 2:08. Animu design is so audacious and original. *yawn*

Lineage 2 art direction was awesome.
I used to play Legend of Mir 2. An insane korean grindfest. Had some weird charm, though.

Those are just twintails those bitches are everywhere and she isn't anything like Blonde Asuka (v2).

I don't get this comment. They call themselves otakus ffs.
Are there ppl that actually think Genshin is JPN?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still waiting for Lost Ark Online, it looks so damn good and fun and puts to shame most post-Diablo 2 ARPGs of the sort, I just hope the (western version's at least) micro transaction/grind levels won't ruin its totally awesome core underneath, but even if so it'll be cool to play until a pay or time wall is hit anyway...

Ancient 6 and 4 year old trailers as a more general (and thorough, I guess) introduction to the game, then the recent few months old Season 2 content trailer (which might not make as much sense on its own):

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Korean games is that they are all style and no substance. Also that they are mostly F2P.

• Thoughtful

x@3f*oo_e!

90% of the K games I see seem to be using the same character creator and models -

Milky white skin, big boobs, 90% of body is thighs/ass .. when you've seen it you know it. They love their very high fantasy setting/armors too. Is there a name for this ?

The games are never as good as the trailers ime. Shame I would be all over this in principle.

i started to resent the booty
Never thought I would read something like this.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Still waiting for Lost Ark Online, it looks so damn good and fun and puts to shame most post-Diablo 2 ARPGs of the sort, I just hope the (western version's at least) micro transaction/grind levels won't ruin its totally awesome core underneath, but even if so it'll be cool to play until a pay or time wall is hit anyway...

Ancient 6 and 4 year old trailers as a more general (and thorough, I guess) introduction to the game, then the recent few months old Season 2 content trailer (which might not make as much sense on its own):

Ya sadly Lost Ark is still not available worldwide. Another problem with Korean game is publication and globalization IMO

wipeout364

I like the Korean art design they often have amazing looking characters especially female ones. The problem with Korean games in my experience is that they generally don’t respect your time and stretch what could be a decent experience into a slog.

Komatsu

So I decided to try a visual novel on the Switch since I almost never play this kind of game.

See a new VN for less than 8 benjamins published by a certain "Navila Software Japan"

I buy it, only to see that (1) it's totally Chinese (which in of itself is not a problem, but I don't like being misled) and (2) the English location is AWFUL. Clearly machine translated somewhere in Pudong, Chongqing or Shanghai.

As for Korean games, did anyone here play DarkEden in the 1990s? That Diablo rip-off MMO was a classic.

• Thoughtful

K.S v2.0

Banned
Korean games often have awesome art direction and beautiful visuals, but... the games are all infested with microscamactions and other forms of cancerous garbage. Anyone remember the time when all these little Korean MMO's were popular on PC for a while? A lot of them had beautiful art and visuals and the gameplay wasn't even half bad... but... if only they were HONEST games sold for a single price as opposed to being wallet grab scam vessels.

Nothing has changed since.

Most of them just moved to mobile, where they're just as filthy as they ever were with their scummy business practices.

Jeeves

I used to play Aion, a Korean MMORPG. It started as a subscription game but went F2P. I started playing right around that time, and the game has an awesome foundation. The combat -- especially PvP -- is to die for and I still miss it dearly. And yes, good-looking characters and flattering costumes, too.

They did an okay job keeping it from being super pay-to-win, but they kept making it more of a grind with each expansion. Eventually it reached entirely absurd levels. I'm talking "grind your ass off for a chance to loot a stone to slot into your gear with a 2% success rate, and if you fail the entire piece of gear is destroyed", and "grind for upwards of a month to gain one character level". The Korean version of the game was even worse than the localized servers, because supposedly the Korean audience craves grinding and literally asks for more of it.

If Korean gamers are really that masochistic, then as talented as Korean devs may be, I worry that their game design sensibilities are probably very skewed.

cdthree

Korean MMO F2P games are really perfect for Microsoft gamepass, IMHO. Sign up to gamepass, up the drop rates, loot, removing energy cost and time limits, etc. Basically removing the Gacha part. Make the MMO dungeons more procedurally generated for dailys. Basically make a mobile Elder Scrolls Online, but centered around 3-10 minutes blocks of playtime. Double dip by to continuing to sell Gacha part to those that don't sign up to gamepass. I can't imagine these game cost alot to make.

That and I wish AAA games would be designed from the start to transition from standalone to online MMO late in its life. Elder 6 would be perfect for that, buy and beat the standalone game and then sign up to the online MMO if you want.

x@3f*oo_e!

Korean MMO F2P games are really perfect for Microsoft gamepass, IMHO. Sign up to gamepass, up the drop rates, loot, removing energy cost and time limits, etc. Basically removing the Gacha part. Make the MMO dungeons more procedurally generated for dailys. Basically make a mobile Elder Scrolls Online, but centered around 3-10 minutes blocks of playtime. Double dip by to continuing to sell Gacha part to those that don't sign up to gamepass. I can't imagine these game cost alot to make.

That and I wish AAA games would be designed from the start to transition from standalone to online MMO late in its life. Elder 6 would be perfect for that, buy and beat the standalone game and then sign up to the online MMO if you want.
In principle but I think these things make on average way more than gamepass money per month, even for minnows, not just whales. (excluding true F2Players)

Different topic but MS needs to make F2P free to play on their consoles imo. Then they can take a cut of the microtransactions and gacha money..

Isa

I love a lot of the art styles that exist there, I do wish that their games were better though. Also wish that their international releases weren't 5+ years out for most releases. For mmos some of my fave's were Lineage 2, Blade and Soul, Aion, Tera and Black Desert despite my love/hate relationship with it. I see why so many try for easy money trends, there was an rpg series with art by Hyung Tae Kim that was pretty cool, The War of Genesis iirc, and Magna Carta. One of my favorite games is Kingdom Under Fire Heroes and Crusaders on the og Xbox and now pc. My love and I are really drawn to beautiful women and men in art. I dig how even in Lineage 2 the orks are attractive too. Its not the usual baddies must be ugly and bad, instead a different take on established expectations.

The wait for some of the games is so bad though that over the years I move on or just wait until they get released around a decade later. The art is nice to see though.

I've gone back to playing Tera again simply because I love the art style (although the gameplay isn't bad either). From their characters to their monsters, they just seem much more creative than what we keep seeing in the west.

D.Final

Banned
I was reading that thread about videogame's asses when I saw a picture of those korean MMO, so I decided to find the name of that game and I stumbled upon a youtube channel about korean games and... why nobody has ever told me they are so beautiful?
This is the channel, rendermax - YouTube (not my channel)
Incredible graphics, beautiful girls, lot of anime games Genshin Impact style but better. I was never fond of Korean mobile games, but at this point why wasting my time in japanese games anymore? Chinese games and Korean games seems more appealing than the usual japanese games. Also korean anime tits> Japan anime tits.
Enlight me or suggest me more games, please.
Interesting
I suppose

Sygma

It really really doesn't put to shame most post diablo 2 post arpgs, not by a long shot. I've played the russian CBT for quite a bit and its a timegated affair with dailies / weeklies / ilvl tiered loot whatnot, also the PvP isnt exactly normalized either.

Like literally, it isn't a looter. Also most of the game design decisions do actually heavily emphasize pay to win if you wanna keep up in terms of character power which ya know, is typical from korean mmos. They'll never get it right in the west outside of some specific markets, there's a reason its been released in Russia which is typically very fond of that kind of shit (remember Allods, Skyforge and whatnot ? yeah)

Graphically speaking I don't find it that much better looking than Grim Dawn in all honesty, it just has a flashier art direction

Last edited:
Top Bottom