• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Assassin's Creed 2015 set in Victorian London (Quebec Dev, Screenshots)

It's not your job to leak this kind of information, no matter how you spin it.

That's exactly what their job is! They don't work for the publishers, their duty is to the readers. They report on shit that publishers and developers do.

If a news outlet reported on a legal bill that was in the works and leaked some stuff on it, would you say "It's not your job to leak what's on the bill"?

Scoops

Banned
Marginally more interesting then Unity (which is super uninteresting IMO) but another missed opportunity to make the series more interesting.

Would've taken Egypt, India, Japan or China over this. Even a Holy Land one like the original.

Did anyone mentioned this looks like a intentional leak by Ubisoft to try to erase the damage done by AC: Unity aka change the narrative from the actual broken game they just released to the hopes, dreams and aspirations about this new shiny product that will release in 12 months?

Well great job Ubisoft PR. As we can see in this thread it worked perfectly on a lot of people. Can't wait to see them again next year when you "leak" AC: Namasté after AC: Victory debacle.

Yeaup. Damage control. It's so obvious too.

jmood88

Yeaup. Damage control. It's so obvious too.
People just throw things out there without knowing what they're talking about. How would releasing a picture and information for a new game when people are upset about issues with the current one be effective damage control? There's nothing to suggest that this is anything other than a leak.

People just throw things out there without knowing what they're talking about. How would releasing a picture and information for a new game when people are upset about issues with the current one be effective damage control? There's nothing to suggest that this is anything other than a leak.

Everything is a conspiracy and Ubisoft is the Illuminati

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nice try quoting me out of context, but don't do it if you don't understand what my post means. Of course WD and Unity are pushing more graphical effects, but the level of detail in GTA is simply unmatched.

Also I am done talking to a shill, your hipocrisy was established a long time ago when we learned about your shitting on Infamous Second Son and that you are working for Ubi "not directly".
Oh the level of detail has been matched already.
Interiors, 1:1 scale and PBR
:D Also if I were a shill, then I would probably own a copy of FC4 and The Crew. Or Valiant Hearts.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I lean on the side of "controlled" release. I mean it's probably more likely that this was an unintentional leak of content, but the shots do like nice and the fact that it is set in a pretty (narratively speaking) popular time period does help to get folks excited.

On a side note, speed reading had me thinking this was set in "Victorian Quebec" at which point I furiously Googled what the hell that meant.

Damn, Kotaku and Ubisoft employees must exclusively fly on the same plane. All the time.

airplane+in+birds.gif

Kotaku ninjas lol

I lean on the side of "controlled" release. I mean it's probably more likely that this was an unintentional leak of content, but the shots do like nice and the fact that it is set in a pretty (narratively speaking) popular time period does help to get folks excited.
Because they're screencaps taken from an internal target video.

I wish Visceral Games/EA actually made that Jack the Ripper game. I was really interested to see where they were going with it.

I hope they don't make the Ripper a Templar nut in this one, but make a gigantic, crazy, creepy murder mystery that has the Assassin hunting him down. Make it all kooky and nutty and just damned sinister.

ripper1.jpg

I hope is something like this. Also Arthur Conan Doyle being your friend.

Unlike AC, FFXV has never proven to be a broken mess. The fact that the development of the game has been too long is an issue completely different from the AC one, especially if we focus on the last iterations of the Ubi franchise.

It might look pretty and the graphics will surely be cool but it's just another AC game with the same structure and gameplay they've been releasing at least twice per year for a while now. There really is nothing to be excited about. If you want a Victorian setting, I'd rather bite Bloodborne.

And you know? good for you!
FFXIII franchise was a complete mess for some people also, so its the same stick you are using for this one (and please dont tell me its a different team, becuase its exactly the same with this assassin creed). A game that has been in development hell is also not a good sign, you know that right?

For your info, I was using it more as a jab to tell you that you are doing the same thing you are criticising, not that FFXV is going to be bad, because at the end of the day from what it looks it doesnt seem the case, and in fact I think you have all the right to be excited for it, same with people with this AC.

People can be excited for this because of the setting, I dont give a shit about Bloodborne because that's not real London. The important thing here its that it's LONDON during a Victorian setting. For me Victorian has been already in many games and thats not what Im looking for.
If I can get something as fun as I had with 2 and Brotherhood with a city that interests me, I will buy it. If not I will not, just like I have done with AC3 and Unity (and this one hurts because the great setting has been wasted on it), simple as that. Not going to preorder because that would be stupid.
But what, I can't get excited for it because I like the idea and I hope it doesnt fail (although it could easyly do)? WTF. Of course I don't like they made AC a yearly franchise, and im the firts Im going to criticise when the games are bad, but Im not going to prejudge a game I like the idea before its released.

Cyd0nia

Banned

The geography seems all over the place here. St Pauls looks like its on the wrong side of the river and way closer than it should be (they've probably got it on the right side, with the river bending around). Even from Waterloo Bridge it looks further away than that IRL. I think the station on the left is meant to be Charring Cross, that looks okay, but the chimney stacks on the south side? I'm not sure.

Depending on when this is set, they were building Albert Embankment in the 1860s, with the foundation stone of St Thomas' laid towards the end of that decade - and prior to that it was small timber and boat building yards. The foreshore on that side of the river would have looked more like this from the direction of Lambeth Bridge

They've made it look like the whole of sa'af London was coal chimneys as far as the eye can see.

I suspect the team took photos like this one and used it as reference

but that's taken from further up the river than the screenshot. I guess if they have all the usual landmarks, people won't give a shit. Kind of how ZombiU just needed red phone boxes, tube stations and taxis to sell the illusion.

I'm not going mad am I? Walford doesn't exist. Ubisoft watches Eastenders confirmed?

On another note, this isn't set all that far back if you think about it. Victorian London means this is set when the granny of King George, Tzar Nicholas and Kaiser Wilhelm was still knocking around. How long before we get WW1 or WW2 Assassins Creed?

ryuken-d

its okay guys we'll get Ass Creed japan in like 2 months after this

and probably Egypt, and Africa, and some other thing announced or "leaked" like a month after the first one comes out and is a rushed broken mess

I wish, but I highly doubt it. if they ever get their heads out of their ass's it'll probably be years. they have to re-use everything until they start using another engine or something. just think about humanities time line and how big the earth is, so many options its ridiculous. Samarians would be cool, we don't know a lot so they could go crazy with theory's even without aliens haha.

Ramenman

Yeah I love how people always suggest that the AC leaks are "obviously made on purpose to generate buzz", even though Ubisoft's biggest "buzzes" these past 3 years have all been on their not-previously-leaked E3 reveals (ie Watch Dogs, The Division, and Rainbow Six).

Clearly they would want those weird leaks all the time rite much more impact rite.

Everything is a conspiracy and Ubisoft is the Illuminati

Dammit, that explains why they spend their time telling shit stories about Templars and Assassins, all of this to actual take attention away from their OWN secret society !

Because they're screencaps taken from an internal target video.

Shhh, internal target watchamacallit stop using PR buzzword to avoid the question ! When something surfaces on the internet then it can only be 100% the current state of the in-game game.

Just like those leaked Just Cause 3 screens man, they can't hide their F2P intentions any longer !

Kevyt

Assassin's Creed Victory leaked parkour and co-op gameplay:

341x192xc3308ce6f31b58c6efbd8d39.gif

Jk :p I do hope the parkour gets improved though and the co-op (if any) does too!

Here's your alternative, my friend. Admittedly not open world but still!

the_order__1886_wallpaper_by_de_monvarela-d770vf9.jpg

The Order?

Y'know I was thinking about that as I wrote that post, but I meant it in a more general sense. They keep picking really awesome and unique settings, but they're extremely limited by using the same gameplay mechanics and basic Assassins vs Templars plot over and over again. I guess what I'm saying is I'd just like more polished, well told historical fiction based games that create worlds that are as (or more) believable as these games but not limited to running in a cloak chasing dudes, and then killing them.

Guri

I don't think I need to create another topic for this, but Robyn Miller, who studied the Victorian London period and is fan of the AC series, just posted an article about what the game can explore. Here is a part of it:

Victorian Personalities and Mindsets

Another series cornerstone is the presence of historical characters, who often serve as allies or enemies to the titular assassins. This precedence, arguably, was established by Leonardo Da Vinci from Assassin’s Creed II, who worked closely with Ezio as his engineer and friend. Since then, assassins have rubbed elbows with the likes of Napoléon, George Washington, and Blackbeard among many others. The Victorian Era is home to many equally renowned personalities. While predicting the exact cast is always daunting, big names like Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, John Stuart Mill, or Queen Victoria herself are likely to make an appearance.

The nature of combatants will also change. In 1829, the Metropolitan Police was founded. Often called “Bobbies” or “Peelers” after the Prime Minister Robert Peel, these early police officers carried wooden truncheons and rattles used to call for assistance. Due to concern over a militarized force among civilians, the early London Met did not carry firearms, but they were later authorized to carry revolvers in response to a rash of armed burglaries. If guns remain as potent as they were in Unity, this police force could cause trouble for even the most skilled assassins, given their firearms and ability to rally other officers.

Social and Political Climate

These personalities will most likely be embroiled in any number of Victorian issues. The mid to late 19th century, while a time for prosperity, was also a time of reform and changing mindsets. Reform laws developed workhouses in response to the growing poor class in London’s slums. The Great Stink of 1858 inspired reform in the treatment of sewage and motivated London to construct a massive sewage system. Factory work hours were limited; slavery was outlawed. New voting and property acts rethought women’s roles in society, and this saw the emergence of the New Woman—an educated, independent woman who exercised control over her own life. This setting of reform would’ve been ideal for introducing a woman assassin, though screenshots suggest that this won’t be the case.

In the very least, an Irish assassin would provide an interesting viewpoint. It was during this age that the Irish Question surfaced, prompting Victorians to debate over whether or not the Irish were capable of ruling themselves. Stereotypes—and racist cartoons in prominent publications—portrayed the Irish as brutish and uneducated degenerates. The Great Famine (1845-1852) saw an increase in the Irish population as many migrated from Ireland in hopes of finding prosperity and work in London, but most found themselves struggling with prejudice. This minority perspective would be an ideal background to give an assassin who, by profession, must already live among the shadows.

More here.

I hope this game is a big improvement over Unity. Build more on that coop aspect. Make the campaign playable in Coop etc.

And get the Engine optimized.

But i doubt that all this is happening... UbiSoft the last couple of years... meh

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hope this game is a big improvement over Unity. Build more on that coop aspect. Make the campaign playable in Coop etc.

And get the Engine optimized.

But i doubt that all this is happening... UbiSoft the last couple of years... meh
ACU was the first one to introduce Coop and it bombed. I hope that teached them a lesson. AC has to remain SP. That Coop shit is to stay out of it.

very excited. Hope they build on what Unity started. Even though this will most likely just be the regular CG trailer, still excited to see it

ACU was the first one to introduce Coop and it bombed. I hope that teached them a lesson. AC has to remain SP. That Coop shit is to stay out of it.

Uhm no. The Coop was shit in Unity because it was clunky and barly functioned. Make the Campaign playable in coop (Its optional, stop complaining). Would save time and money instead of creating seperate crappy missions.

Top Bottom