• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Chrono Cross And Other Classics Suddenly ‘Expiring’ On PS3, Vita

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

-

No, this is not because of the Chrono Cross remaster... probably, maybe.

While at first this felt like an attempt at encouraging Chrono Cross fans to purchase the new Radical Dreamers remaster, Kotaku quickly found evidence of this same problem occurring with different games.
Chrono Cross worked just fine for content creator Words, but not its spiritual predecessor Chrono Trigger, the license for which somehow lapsed 40 years before the game was added to the PSOne Classic library.
Steve J over on Twitter asked PlayStation directly why the expiration date for his copy of Final Fantasy VI was changed to 1969, but never received a response.
Reddit user Gyrocop reported their PlayStation 3 giving them guff about Rune Factory: Oceans (subtitled Tides of Destiny in North America) earlier this week. They were also told that their license for the digital purchase ran out in 1970. Switching to a different console didn't help.
Two separate threads on the Vita subreddit shared the same story, with one poster claiming that their entire library of digital games remained affected even after trying solutions like re-subscribing to PlayStation Plus and factory resetting their system.
And finally, someone on GameFAQs reported a now-familiar 1969 expiration date for the PSOne Classic version of Final Fantasy Origins three days ago.

I have a decently sized catalog of digital games I purchased on my PS3. But recently I had to factory reset my PS3 due to a hardware fault (and haven't yet re-downloaded my purchases games).

But it's very simple. Each PS1/PS2 game I bought on PS3 that "disappears" from their store, is another game I'll be playing on RetroArch instead 😎

Buggy Loop

Square management is literally Shinra

Please be excited
seyvec9.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does no one at PlayStation know how to fix this or what?

I haven’t tested my games yet. I have a lot of the PS1 classics on my PS3 and Vita memory cards. There’s only a handful that I don’t own.

I feel like PlayStation’s legacy options could be amazing, but they cherry pick what they focus on.

Since FF6 is mentioned in the article I just tried it and it works fine, but it's a JP copy so it might also be a regional thing.

Notabueno

Banned
Does no one at PlayStation know how to fix this or what?

I haven’t tested my games yet. I have a lot of the PS1 classics on my PS3 and Vita memory cards. There’s only a handful that I don’t own.

I feel like PlayStation’s legacy options could be amazing, but they cherry pick what they focus on.

What do you mean "you have them on your PS3 and Vita, that you don't own"?

Keihart

I have a decently sized catalog of digital games I purchased on my PS3. But recently I had to factory reset my PS3 due to a hardware fault (and haven't yet re-downloaded my purchases games).

But it's very simple. Each PS1/PS2 game I bought on PS3 that "disappears" from their store, is another game I'll be playing on RetroArch instead 😎
Good luck redownloading those games now that the webstore doesn't support the PS3 and Vita catalog.
It's a fucking slog

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What do you mean "you have them on your PS3 and Vita, that you don't own"?
I paid money for a license to use/play the PS Classics many years ago. There are only a handful of licenses I didn’t pay for on the store. I still play those games. The future of this whole “buying digital” it showings the cons of buying digital passed a certain period of time. I haven’t tested my games yet. I would imagine, if Sony wanted to be up there with Steam, they’d come up with something. Even Nintendo has issues with digital games with the 3DS/Wii U stores closing at some point.

Worst part is scrolling through the PSN Library when you want to download something. It isn’t super easy cause a lot of games aren’t listed in their store. My PS3 digital library is just under 900 items. I just wish things were easier for a consumer who didn’t pawn their PS3 or Vita away. Those who still care about their digital PlayStation libraries.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This is just another sign that the all digital future is what is best for gamers! This is exactly what you expect when you purchase a game, to have a third party eliminate your ability to play it st a whim! You don't want those worthless ones and zeroes wasting space on your hard drive! THEY'RE DOING YOU A FAVOR! SMILE WHILE YOU EAT CORPORATE SHIT! SAY THANK YOU AS THEY SHOVE A FUNNEL DOWN YOUR GULLET WHEN YOU CAN'T EAT ANY MORE! THIS IS WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU!

Barakov

Gold Member
This is just another sign that the all digital future is what is best for gamers! This is exactly what you expect when you purchase a game, to have a third party eliminate your ability to play it st a whim! You don't want those worthless ones and zeroes wasting space on your hard drive! THEY'RE DOING YOU A FAVOR! SMILE WHILE YOU EAT CORPORATE SHIT! SAY THANK YOU AS THEY SHOVE A FUNNEL DOWN YOUR GULLET WHEN YOU CAN'T EAT ANY MORE! THIS IS WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU!
Chill Leopard GIF

Midn1ght

Well one of the numerous reasons my main library is on Steam 🤷🏻‍♂️ Too bad for Playstation fans
Seems like one of the safest place right now for digital after GOG maybe but even on Steam I'm not holding my breath. Most companies out there just don't want you to own and hold on to your games forever, specially when they keep remastering, remaking and Director's cutting most of them.

I'm on PC but still only buy physical for consoles. I wonder if patching and updating these physical version will still be possible when they're no longer available to purchase online? I feel like if we give it enough time, even that won't be possible and all we'll be left with are buggy/unfinished pre day one patch games.

I hope there are groups out there trying to preserve all that data cuz if not then even physical is kinda doomed in the long run.

I hope there are groups out there trying to preserve all that data cuz if not then even physical is kinda doomed in the long run.
There are. They're doing what they can, but it's extremely difficult task.

Also this:

This is why companies like Limited Run are so popular these days.

Again though, this is more than just a digital-only issue, but some people are more intent on focusing on the smaller picture.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Tbh this just looks like human error to me, someone has messed up the database with an incorrect field, and the date for expiry just defaulted. Hopefully someone will realise and correct their mistake!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Like it's any different.

The day Gabe won't be in charge anymore will be the day your library gets fucked.

This hypothetical imaginary scenario that didn't happen, sounds scary I guess. Just like the 'Steam will have paid online very soon' doomsday scenario I been hearing for the past years.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Seems like one of the safest place right now for digital after GOG maybe but even on Steam I'm not holding my breath. Most companies out there just don't want you to own and hold on to your games forever, specially when they keep remastering, remaking and Director's cutting most of them.

I'm on PC but still only buy physical for consoles. I wonder if patching and updating these physical version will still be possible when they're no longer available to purchase online? I feel like if we give it enough time, even that won't be possible and all we'll be left with are buggy/unfinished pre day one patch games.

Fortunately Steam let you download most if not every delisted games that you purchased before the delist.
Basically the same thing people said about horse armor.
Good thing none of the doomsday scenario you mentioned STILL doesn't happen today on Steam.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have a few games that have been removed from the store but are still in my library and playable. Valve doesn't remove acquired games except if it is a scam/fraud.
For example, Prey (2015). Thumbnail says SOLD OUT!, the store page doesn't exist anymore (https://steamcommunity.com/app/3970). yet i can install and play the game.
screenshot8ak4g.png

untitledopkyb.jpg
So far.
Your rentals will expire one day.

Davevil

Antoher thread drama on game that you never play anymore or if you want ...you can play in "other" way

Is Retroarch significantly different than running a PS1 game... say via the new epsxe with the plugins and stuff ?
Fantastic question, but sadly I don't know; I've never done PS1 emulation outside of RetroArch.

But now I'm curious and over time will experiment with this, especially since I'm now permanently using emulation for PS1 games I bought on my PS3.

My PS3 (an ultra slim) got this bizarre issue where it will no longer connect to WiFi, AND can no longer connect to Bluetooth devices; the former means I can't re-download the games without a wired connection, and the latter means I can't use my DualShock 3 controller wirelessly. So until I either solve the hardware issue (not sure how; after a lot of Googling still can't find good answers) that PS3 is effectively useless.

Top Bottom