• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku encourages piracy

MilkLizard

MOD EDIT: Reminder, GAF does not support Piracy. Promotion/Support of it will earn people warnings.

This is a new low, even for them. I wonder if they could get in trouble with Nintendo over this one.

Article in question

Archive.org link

Quotes from article
If you want to play the rest of the Metroid franchise and don’t want to shell out large amounts of money on old consoles and games, your best bet is also emulation. As is often the case, Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.

But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now. And it looks great.

I'm all for emulation of course and I know that there are people who rip their own games for it but let's be real, that's an absolut minority. What makes this extra weird is that the game isn't even out for a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

b6a6es

Banned
MM38rmb.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nothing wrong with playing games you own on emulators. If you do not intend to actually buy the game and just pirate it..

that is a fucking dick move imo.

if i replay any 3ds game I own I prefer an emulator.

emulation of ninty games does wonders to the image quality.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The OP didn't exactly quote the right part, so before you say "no they don't" before reading the article, the proper quote should be.

But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now. And it looks great.

While emulation of dead platforms that you own for games you own is somewhat a grey area, and there is a decent argument for not wanting to apply more tear and wear on old consoles, emulation of a new game bypassing its platform slides a lot more toward clear cur piracy. The "But I mean buy a Switch and then put it into a closet to gather cobweb just to justify using the Switch emulator!" argument doesn't hold much water to justify this article or the writer.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
This is a new low, even for them. I wonder if they could get in trouble with Nintendo over this one.

Article in question

Archive.org link

Quote from article

I'm all for emulation of course and I know that there are people who rip their own games for it but let's be real, that's an absolut minority. What makes this extra weird is that the game isn't even out for a week.

Metroid Prime can run at 4K and 60 Fps on Yuzu with a i5 8400 + gtx 1060 6gb, which is very impressive. Cant blame them, with this level of performance it's hard not to try it out.

On pirating topic, there is technically a legal way of playing Metroid on the emulator, you just have to copy your game ISO into the computer and not share it online.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Emulation is hardly piracy when talking about obsolete games and systems.

I sure as hell wouldn't consider myself a pirate if I download a Jaguar emulator to see what the fuss was all about with the original Aliens vs Predator, a game which hasn't been sold for like, 25 years or something, on a console which has been discontinued for two decades.

Switch games, however? Yeah, this is piracy, through and through.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Metroid Prime can run at 4K and 60 Fps on Yuzu with a i5 8400 + gtx 1060 6gb, which is very impressive. Cant blame them, with this level of performance it's hard not to try it out.

On pirating topic, there is technically a legal way of playing Metroid on the emulator, you just have to copy your game ISO into the computer and not share it online.

Mentioning technicalities to excuse the author or Kotaku doesn't really hold much water here, even more so considering that they did not bother mentioning said technicalities themselves or having any sort of disclaimer in that direction.

This article is quite clear cut in disregarding "legal ways" and deserves all the flak it gets.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Mentioning technicalities to excuse the author or Kotaku doesn't really hold much water here, even more so considering that they did not bother mentioning said technicalities themselves or having any sort of disclaimer in that direction.

This article is quite clear cut in disregarding "legal ways" and deserves all the flak it gets.

Also kinda puts more fire into the Switch Pro Rumors being real considering that this can run at 4K with decent hardware. Maybe the game was made with 4K gameplay in mind? 🤔

Who knows...

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Also kinda puts more fire into the Switch Pro Rumors being real considering that this can run at 4K with decent hardware. Maybe the game was made with 4K gameplay in mind? 🤔

Who knows...

*ANY* game can run at 4K with hardware that can brute force it unless there are engine elements that the emulator doesn't (yet) emulate.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I've not pirated a game in like... 10 years
But I used to be a pirate big time yarr...
Anyway - nothing wrong with emulating a games you own. Buying the exact same game 5 times is wrong

Yeah, Kotaku is *totally* encouraging people to buy the game and a Switch here, and then put the Switch in the closet to play the game on PC.

Totally.

They just "forgot" to mention it, right? 😂

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
As far as game preservation goes... they are right. Hyperbolic thread.

A game released this week totally needs Kotaku's "heroic" help to be preserved. Better pull these red flags out of the closet and don't forget the chains to lock yourself to Nintendo's gates! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Nothing wrong with playing games you own on emulators. If you do not intend to actually buy the game and just pirate it..

that is a fucking dick move imo.

if i replay any 3ds game I own I prefer an emulator.

emulation of ninty games does wonders to the image quality.
Cooyright laws are broken. Frankly any title that has not been made commercially available in 10-20 years should be public domain.

Maintaining copyright should be like maintaining trademarks; you can keep them for as long as you keep renewing and. Using them but otherwise they're going to lapse.

We've allowed a handful of interests like Disney to pervert our copyright laws to where they're actually destructive because the media itself is unlikely to survive it's term, and where ownership can often be ambiguous after several buyouts and sales. It actually makes it so we need to break the law just to make sure these works survive.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pretty fucked up to encourage piracy of a game within its launch week, especially when Metroid really needs all the sales it can get to revitalize the franchise. But hey whatever, the article will probably get a couple of clicks and that's the important thing right?
A sizable portion of the Metroid fanbase are scum. They did the same thing with AM2R, telling people to play that and not buy Samus Returns. They actively try to destroy the series. Also put out petitions to cancel Federation Force and destroyed the reputation of Other M (a fine game with some flaws, not nearly as bad as the exaggerations would have you think).

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Article in question

Archive.org link

Quote from article

Op can you please change the quote with something that has actually something to do with the main topic of the article, which is explicitly emulating Metroid Dread?

You quoted literally the only line in which the author makes a half-assed, bad-faith attempt to disingenuously link it with game preservation (with which has nothing to do), and it's derailing your own thread.

Thanks.

Seems shitty to suggest pirating a brand new game.

On the other hand it would be nice to play the first HD Metroid in a resolution above a mere 900p (with no AA either).

But this is how Nintendo is so that’s the hand we’re dealt I suppose.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems shitty to suggest pirating a brand new game.

On the other hand it would be nice to play the first HD Metroid in a resolution above a mere 900p (with no AA either).

But this is how Nintendo is so that’s the hand we’re dealt I suppose.
Funding and encouraging more games like Dread get made is infinitely more important and more beneficial for gamers than a resolution bump. Its literally the game of the year and the best Metroid ever made. If it sells gangbusters I'm sure they'll be encouraged to make another. Or you guys can enjoy a few extra pixels while complaining about not having a good Metroid for the next 30 years.

These people are morons. Of all the games to pirate, they pick the biggest underdog Nintendo has that would benefit the most from sales.

Last edited:

Jeeves

A sizable portion of the Metroid fanbase are scum. They did the same thing with AM2R, telling people to play that and not buy Samus Returns. They actively try to destroy the series. Also put out petitions to cancel Federation Force and destroyed the reputation of Other M (a fine game with some flaws, not nearly as bad as the exaggerations would have you think).
Oh I know all about it, there are some extraordinarily whiny elements within the fanbase. Sure Metroid has had some rough patches but there's other series that have had it worse. I don't know what makes some Metroid fans in particular so bitter. The petition to cancel Federation Force was absolutely pathetic.

Funding and encouraging more games like Dread get made is infinitely more important and more beneficial for gamers than a resolution bump. Its literally the game of the year and the best Metroid ever made. If it sells gangbusters I'm sure they'll be encouraged to make another. Or you guys can enjoy a few extra pixels while complaining about not having a good Metroid for the next 30 years.

These people are morons. Of all the games to pirate, they pick the biggest underdog Nintendo has that would benefit the most from sales.
I wasn’t endorsing them at all just stating the options and how neither of them are great. If I played it I would buy the game of course but the Switch is a really hard sell for me as aside from a couple games I’d play it would be a paper weight.

Top Bottom