• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Epic say Unreal PS5 demo is also targeting Xbox Series X

Kacho

Gold Member
They really don't. With Game Pass and their recent dev purchases MS is in a good position for their launch and beyond. Doing something now comes off as reactionary and defensive when they have nothing to worry about. Xbox will sell. PS5 will sell. Both companies will make billions and we'll all get to play awesome games regardless of what controller we're holding.

Both are going to be awesome, and the thought that this console cycle is won/lost because of this one tech demo is silly.
It's not about winning or losing. It's about generating hype and good PR ahead of the launch of their next gen console. They have the most powerful next gen console and everyone is talking about the graphics on PS5. Now the conversation is shifting to "can this even run on Xbox?!" It's stupid sure, but this is a terrible PR position to be in.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't understand half of these presentations. They all seem contradictory. You have techs saying there's no longer any need to have slide through gaps and reload asset animations, yet there are two, possibly three in that scene - which was buitl wihtout the limitations of PC/console in there. Second, Cerny specifically said it's hard to fill CU's with tiny triangles, then we get a demo with billions of tiny triangles. I'm sure it makes sense to those at the top end of the technical spectrum but just break it down easier ffs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't understand half of these presentations. They all seem contradictory. You have techs saying there's no longer any need to have slide through gaps and reload asset animations, yet there are two, possibly three in that scene - which was buitl wihtout the limitations of PC/console in there. Second, Cerny specifically said it's hard to fill CU's with tiny triangles, then we get a demo with billions of tiny triangles. I'm sure it makes sense to those at the top end of the technical spectrum but just break it down easier ffs.

They mentioned in the video that they only put those there to zoom in for detail and how her fingers react to the surfaces. They said they knew that would come up as a question.

Its kinda sad, people should just be looking at the demo as an indication of what PS5 is capable of when running UE5. A situation which pretty handily demolishes the notion that the hardware is graphically underpowered.

Whether XBSX is equal, better, or worse is irrelevant. Let their footage speak for itself, it doesn't have to be a contest. Especially when the most telling difference is likely to be first party/exclusive line-up.

Good post, for sure, but as for the bolded:

Given what Sweeney has said about storage bandwidth factoring into scalability with UE5, I think a lot of people would find a direct comparison between the demo running on both boxes relevant.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's not about winning or losing. It's about generating hype and good PR ahead of the launch of their next gen console. They have the most powerful next gen console and everyone is talking about the graphics on PS5. Now the conversation is shifting to "can this even run on Xbox?!" It's stupid sure, but this is a terrible PR position to be in.

My dude, I work in PR and advertising. You could not be more wrong. Gaming has always had its share of armchair quarterbacks when it comes to marketing, and I usually keep my mouth shut when people say shit like "that's bad PR" because who wants to hear "you don't know what you're fucking talking about," right?

I guarantee you that Xbox has a plan and while people are acting like Veruca Salt and want information NOW NOW NOW, there's still 8 months until these consoles release and you'll get what you want soon.

Sony having a good day doesn't hurt MSFT.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
PlayStation is market leader*, what do people expect?
Epic has been kissing PS's ass for 3 generations now and that ain't going to change until the torch is passed - which is likely never.
Normal business or school day I'd say - everyone wants to hang out/share the spotlight with the most popular kid because there is something to be gained from it.

Dory16

Banned
Hopefully MS puts out an XsX version of the demo for all to compare. I would think that would be a good move on their part, considering how hot the UE5 demo is.
Nah, MS just needs to release games, not engine demos.
This gen is not going to be decided by what platform Epic chooses to showcase its engine.
The most impressive Unreal Engine game in the industry is Gears 5 and we know that on XSX it runs at 4k 120 fps.
Just release gameplay of Hellblade 2 at 4k60 and remind everyone that it's only using UE4, not 5. And do it in July when you announced you would. Not now just because Epic is giving Sony a hand.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Its kinda sad, people should just be looking at the demo as an indication of what PS5 is capable of when running UE5. A situation which pretty handily demolishes the notion that the hardware is graphically underpowered.

Whether XBSX is equal, better, or worse is irrelevant. Let their footage speak for itself, it doesn't have to be a contest. Especially when the most telling difference is likely to be first party/exclusive line-up.
I mean..

Knowing what the biggest engine in the world is capable of between the 2 systems is incredibly relevant to someone making a purchase decision. Not everyone is already sold on either company and just looking for console war points online. There SHOULD BE a contest; a contest for consumers dollars.

It also would be useful for developers to know that.

But they appear to have an agreement in place to not compare them; or they really haven't even bothered trying the demo on XSX.. which honestly is kind of hard to believe.

1st party games are also obviously a big selling point, but the vast majority of time people spend on a console on average is with 3rd party games using engines like Unreal.

For me I don't know what my main console is going to be next gen. Although I suspect it will be PS5 simply due to me caring more about load times than graphics; still would like to know what that demo can do on XSX. Not super important for me though as I'm buying both regardless.

Last edited:

PSYGN

They are a cross platform engine, of course they'd invest in technology that can work for all systems on the same gen.

What you saw was likely a marketing deal by Sony to show it off first on their system.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That’s not going to happen with the marketing deal in place.

As stupid as this whole saga is, MS got caught with their pants down and took a massive PR hit. They need to show something impressive and soon. After the early access blowout they did last week I’m beginning to think that team doesn’t understand video games at all.
"Massive" is a bit of a stretch,honestly...

Nah, MS just needs to release games, not engine demos.
This gen is not going to be decided by what platform Epic chooses to showcase its engine.
The most impressive Unreal Engine game in the industry is Gears 5 and we know that on XSX it runs at 4k 120 fps.
Just release gameplay of Hellblade 2 at 4k60 and remind everyone that it's only using UE4, not 5. And do it in July when you announced you would. Not now just because Epic is giving Sony a hand.

You said this to me yesterday, I think.

Of course they need to show games, but why not also try to show a really next gen popular demo that has people excited, a demo shown on PS5 only thus far? It's not going to delay the any major developments to just show a damn demo.

I don't know about the marketing deal, this is news to me, so maybe the can't. I missed that bit of news I guess, seen i referenced a few times

What that even means lol

Nanite is scalable... faster storage speeds = more detail.
It can run even on mobiles with a lot less triangles/details.
Yeah, and it runs best on a PC with 1TB RAM and dozens of SSDs in RAID where PCIe 4.0 can be fully saturated. Do you really believe this Demo doesn't run at higher res, framerate and even more detail on a PC? It's made on a PC.

Seriously, you people are hilarious.

IntentionalPun

So it was weird to mods change it.
You should open a case in the mod ban/regulation thread.
Honestly; I've been on the internet for 2 decades and one of the more annoying things is people using the "Well it was what the article was titled" excuse for a click bait thread title. We can be better than click-bait websites on forums so why shouldn't we?

I support the mod decision to change the thread title honestly. Just my 2 cents.

ethomaz

Banned
Honestly; I've been on the internet for 2 decades and one of the more annoying things is people using the "Well it was what the article was titled" excuse for a click bait thread title. We can be better than click-bait websites on forums so why shouldn't we?

I support the mod decision to change the thread title honestly. Just my 2 cents.
So remove the thread if you think the article is not worthy.

If you want to hold the article for discussion the minimum expected is to hold the original title and content intact.

What the point to open a thread from an article where I changed it contents/title due my bias? I should post an opinion thread instead an article thread for that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, and it runs best on a PC with 1TB RAM and dozens of SSDs in RAID where PCIe 4.0 can be fully saturated. Do you really believe this Demo doesn't run at higher res, framerate and even more detail on a PC? It's made on a PC.

Seriously, you people are hilarious.
I guess it is better to ask Epic/Tim.
Ohhhh they already awaited that ;)

Radical_3d

I’ve entered with the new title. “Well, there it is” I said to myself… “Sony over-engineered that SSD.” I read the OP in which Epic says that the engine is, obviously, targeting the SX, but the demo isn’t. I’d say the new title is more click baiting, the original seems pretty boring an un-informative.

Fool me once, boys.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

So remove the thread if you think the article is not worthy.

If you want to hold the article for discussion the minimum expected is to hold the original title and content intact.

What the point to open a thread from an article where I changed it contents/title due my bias? I should post an opinion thread instead an article thread for that.
Because it is incredibly common for articles with decent information in them to have click-bait titles. Those titles are often then all people read and react to.... all the good points/info is lost.

Honestly not sure this one qualifies though lol, doesn't seem too bad.

But in general I like the idea of having to vet an articles thread title for click-baityness.. annoyed me since the beginning of forums.

Last edited:

onQ123

By the way the new title is not what Epic said
I’ve entered with the new title. “Well, there it is” I said to myself… “Sony over-engineered that SSD.” I read the OP in which Epic says that the engine is, obviously, targeting the SX, but the demo isn’t. I’d say the new title is more click baiting, the original seems pretty boring an un-informative.

Fool me once, boys.

Right they change the title to something that's not true the demo was for PS5 but the engine is for all platforms

“The demo we revealed [on Wednesday] is running on PS5 because that’s been our target platform for this particular experience,” a spokesperson for Epic told Kotaku in an email yesterday. “UE5, with core technologies like Niagara VFX and Chaos physics and destruction—and the newly revealed Nanite virtualized geometry and Lumen dynamic global illumination—is also targeting Xbox Series X.”

When pressed about if the demo was designed specifically for PS5 and couldn’t run on Xbox Series X the spokesperson simply said, “We aren’t running it on XBSX.”

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Except for Bend, most Sony first party studios use their own custom in-house engine. So, Days Gone 2 is the best Playtation will get from this deal.
The real demonstration of Unreal Engine 5 capabilities will come from Xbox Game Studios.

What?

So no third party games will use the engine?

There's also the potential of more 1st party studios from Sony using the engine.

That is some sensational spin.

cormack12

Gold Member

The problem is that two unrelated comments can be right about the same article. Only one will foster outrage, take the tabloids they are a prime example. I'm trying to think of an example now that's easy.......Take a man who was found innoccent of having a high profile affair. Two questions are asked by reporters

Question: Will you be moving back in with your current wife now you are proven innoccent?
Answer: Yes, we will be giving our relationship another go and working on repairing our marriage

Question: Will you dispel the rumours that you had feelings for <womanA>?
Answer: This is ridiculous, I'm not answering that question

HEADLINE 1: Man proved innocent, will give marriage another go
HEADLINE 2: Man refuses to deny he has feelings for WomanA

I mean everyone knows that is how the tabloids work. It's basic. Reposting shite doesn't absolve you of pushing the same agenda as the publication. Just means you want to hide behind it. Especially when the OP is empty of everything else.

So why didn't you post a title that was better? That's the only question in this whole derail. You're complaining that a mod changed your reposted clickbait title into something less clickbaity, but still clickbaity. Plus your tag is on point in that case.

Last edited:
Sounds like a marketing deal, Sony pays some pennies to talk about software to cover up their hardware disadvantage. 🤷‍♀️

That would be a waste though wouldn't it and what would the point be to lie this early ? , As soon as the df head to heads start at the beginning of the gen when they need to actually sell consoles it's not going to bode well if it was all 100% lies and marketing I mean why design it that way in the first place over raw power especially as theres not much design cost difference between the consoles It'll be interesting to say the least when the gen starts two different philosophy's in action .

ethomaz

Banned
The problem is that two unrelated comments can be right about the same article. Only one will foster outrage, take the tabloids they are a prime example. I'm trying to think of an example now that's easy.......Take a man who was found innoccent of having a high profile affair. Two questions are asked by reporters

Question: Will you be moving back in with your current wife now you are proven innoccent?
Answer: Yes, we will be giving our relationship another go and working on repairing our marriage

Question: Will you dispel the rumours that you had feelings for <womanA>?
Answer: This is ridiculous, I'm not answering that question

HEADLINE 1: Man proved innocent, will give marriage another go
HEADLINE 2: Man refuses to deny he has feelings for WomanA

I mean everyone knows that is how the tabloids work. It's basic. Reposting shite doesn't absolve you of pushing the same agenda as the publication. Just means you want to hide behind it. Especially when the OP is empty of everything else.

So why didn't you post a title that was better? That's the only question in this whole derail. You're complaining that a mod changed your reposted clickbait title into something less clickbaity, but still clickbaity. Plus your tag is on point in that case.
The man getting mad about the question already makes it suspicious... just saying.

I don’t see why the second jornal can’t think of the second title.

Botha titles are true btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom