• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Facebooks VR division lost over $13.72 billion in 2022. $4 billion loss just in Q4 2022.

Foilz

Banned
Because no content, it is extremely unfortunate, that basically without PC Oculus 2 is useless. Well maybe beat saber, but otherwise, like where are 3D movies, documentaries and so on. It is painful.
You smoking some bro? Oculus has tons of great games and apps plus side quest has even more, then there's applab. PC VR is nothing without oculus.

Foilz

Banned
Horizon worlds is an amazing idea but not enough people use it and that's the problem. Watching movies and docs or concerts is a ton of fun. It's quite buggy mut most of VR is and .eta has done a great job with VR so far. They should have incorporated applab and side queat into the oculus store. Meta should have also acquired big screen and baked that into the os. That app is fucking AWESOME .

ReBurn

Gold Member
Horizon worlds is an amazing idea but not enough people use it and that's the problem. Watching movies and docs or concerts is a ton of fun. It's quite buggy mut most of VR is and .eta has done a great job with VR so far. They should have incorporated applab and side queat into the oculus store. Meta should have also acquired big screen and baked that into the os. That app is fucking AWESOME .
Horizon Worlds isn't even an original idea. It's a Second Life rip-off but more lame and the avatars are worse.

I want to live in the Metaverse!
movements.gif

future-spongebob.gif

Crazy how last year vr seemed like a skyrocketing industry. Now it feels grim. Hopefully psvr2 and quest 3 brings more juice back in.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You smoking some bro? Oculus has tons of great games and apps plus side quest has even more, then there's applab. PC VR is nothing without oculus.
Well it is my opinion anyway, I feel that even what is there is severely underutilized (I love the device, tho) from what it could be. And since they are loosing money, seems like people would agree on that

What triggers me here is that Ready At Dawn is one of the victims of Meta's acquisitions. If their VR division fails, it could potentially spell the doom of such a great studio, which has been reduced to a pathetic VR support studio ever since Meta got their hands on them.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Thats exactly why everyone is so baffled (though I think a lot of money would've gone to researching next headset and new tech etc also).
It doesn't take billions to do R&D for a single consumer electronics product line. It must be armies of overpaid SW engineers producing garbage mixed with acquisitions they are overpaying for.

Crazy how last year vr seemed like a skyrocketing industry. Now it feels grim. Hopefully psvr2 and quest 3 brings more juice back in.
You are talking entirely about Facebook. We warned you from the start. The Meta headset is given away way below cost and was never sustainable. People expecting state of the art headsets to be 300 dollars is just insane. META lowered the cost of headsets artificially, and we learn now how unsustainable it is. That's Meta's problem and nothing to do with VR as a whole.
META can crash and burn for all I care, they never even tried to make good games. They have nothing to do with true VR gaming and just a distraction.

The PC VR and upcoming Sony VR are the real VR market. Sustainable and self funding.

Last edited:
You are talking entirely about Facebook. We warned you from the start. The Meta headset is given away way below cost and was never sustainable. People expecting state of the art headsets to be 300 dollars is just insane. META lowered the cost of headsets artificially, and we learn now how unsustainable it is.
You warned us that we were going to get VR headsets for way below cost? Lol

Seriously though it's true, but it's not a bad thing for people that want a cheap headset for PC. The whole Metaverse idea is just too dumb for even the global elite to sell. The average person who sees an advert about doing their 9-to-5 in the Metaverse is just going to be creeped out, and it just doesn't have any perceivable benefit and lots of downsides.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RE7 doesn't really qualify because it still uses the gamepad for everything and has very little VR immersion of space and movement beyond your head. RE4 on the Quest2 is a much more worthy addition to VR, for what it's worth, because it's not just a 3D mode on a controller game and actually uses free motion extremely well.

I own Lone Echo and it's a very cool game, but... I don't know if it qualifies for some high AAA status. Outside of VR, the game would have been a $20 light 5-hour puzzle adventure on steam with "mostly positive" reviews. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but it's not even on the same map as something like Alyx. BoneWorks/Lab is much closer in fact.

RE7 100% qualifies because it's a AAA game that you can play in VR. It's silly to dismiss games like that, because it's literally those type of games that will take VR gaming to the next level. Free motion isn't the end all, be all to VR gaming.

mckmas8808

Meta isn't in this for games, we have a thread trumpeting Sony's best ever Q3 with 9 billion revenue and 800 million profit. In 2022 Meta had 27.2 billion in q3 revenue from advertising, and had 4 billion in net income and that was a shitty q3 for them. They don't give 2 shits about gaming - its high risk, low reward - they want to be on the ground floor for the next evolution of the internet and social media, games are just the thin edge of the wedge

And that's Meta's problem right there. They don't seem to understand how to make money outside of advertising. And Zucks is too stupid to actually see gaming as a potential true revenue driver and profit getter.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
RE7 100% qualifies because it's a AAA game that you can play in VR. It's silly to dismiss games like that, because it's literally those type of games that will take VR gaming to the next level. Free motion isn't the end all, be all to VR gaming.
It's a neat add-on mode, but if you can't even aim your gun in VR, it's hardly a real embrace of the tech. The game was clearly 100% made to not use VR (force movement during scripted scenes etc which works terribly in that medium) and just has a minimal support added for a bonus.

Crayon

It's a neat add-on mode, but if you can't even aim your gun in VR, it's hardly a real embrace of the tech. The game was clearly 100% made to not use VR (force movement during scripted scenes etc which works terribly in that medium) and just has a minimal support added for a bonus.

Yet it's one of the most loved games on psvr. I agree it's a slap-dash port, btw. I think it just goes to show that a good, broadly appealing game does not need to be made for vr from the ground up. To be clear, I don't know if such a basic implementation would fly today. The face aiming. Ew. But it at least shows that a game having to be made completly from the ground up has no merit.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I wonder how Zuckerberg is going to look back on 2023. He bet the future of his company on Virtual Reality and the Metaverse and now it's clear that AI, not VR, is going to change the world.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am a big believer in the Metaverse as a concept and some of these social VR spaces like Bigscreen and Rec Room can be really great, but ultimately people need content to enjoy together, it's not enough to simply be a space, and Meta isn't putting their attention into content like that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I am a big believer in the Metaverse as a concept and some of these social VR spaces like Bigscreen and Rec Room can be really great, but ultimately people need content to enjoy together, it's not enough to simply be a space, and Meta isn't putting their attention into content like that.
the only wildly successful social space in VR so far is... Gorilla Tag, oddly enough

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it was made with VR in mind from the beginning but it was part of that first wave of VR before roomscale, 360 degree, or even motion controllers. A lot of games from that first wave of titles were like that, including many that were VR exclusive.

Still, it's nice to see they are giving us something more full fledged with RE8VR

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yet it's one of the most loved games on psvr. I agree it's a slap-dash port, btw. I think it just goes to show that a good, broadly appealing game does not need to be made for vr from the ground up. To be clear, I don't know if such a basic implementation would fly today. The face aiming. Ew. But it at least shows that a game having to be made completly from the ground up has no merit.
That wouldn't even fly in a free PC mod nowadays.

mckmas8808

Making games that can go both ways is the only way VR in gaming can be mainstream.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Making games that can go both ways is the only way VR in gaming can be mainstream.

And yet, making VR games from the ground up--like Alyx--is the only way to prove to the user that this new medium is worth their investment, that it's a radically new kind of experience, a qualitative leap that changes gaming.

Otherwise, it is in very real danger of sliding into the dreaded 3d-Movies category... tech that is nifty, but too expensive and awkward (thing strapped to your face) to sustain much interest once the novelty wears off, because it's exactly the same damn movie either way you watch it.

Anyhow, even if you genuinely believe that normal games with VR-headset modes added are a strategic necessity right now, that's surely just a temporary thing to build up the sales. So it's weird to see the hybrid strategy hailed as somehow being on the side of games, and not the other compromise, which is to make VR a bit cheaper and all-in-one like the Quest. Both are strategic bets, but if you compare the impact on public VR exposure of PSVR1 versus Quest2... the former looks rather insignificant.

Actually it's probably neither, at least for the next 20-30 years.

What are you referring to?

Reminds me of Kinect for some reason.
Just the vibe. Felt like everyone was announcing new HMDs at the same time, exciting rumors ect. Things have soured for me a little bit with quest pro being a non starter. No valve deckard in sight, VR division are having massive layoffs. What happened to the nuclear arms race of VR? Just feels dead atm.

mckmas8808

And yet, making VR games from the ground up--like Alyx--is the only way to prove to the user that this new medium is worth their investment, that it's a radically new kind of experience, a qualitative leap that changes gaming.

Otherwise, it is in very real danger of sliding into the dreaded 3d-Movies category... tech that is nifty, but too expensive and awkward (thing strapped to your face) to sustain much interest once the novelty wears off, because it's exactly the same damn movie either way you watch it.

Anyhow, even if you genuinely believe that normal games with VR-headset modes added are a strategic necessity right now, that's surely just a temporary thing to build up the sales. So it's weird to see the hybrid strategy hailed as somehow being on the side of games, and not the other compromise, which is to make VR a bit cheaper and all-in-one like the Quest. Both are strategic bets, but if you compare the impact on public VR exposure of PSVR1 versus Quest2... the former looks rather insignificant.

The former is only "insignificant" (though I don't believe that) because of the PS4 and the wand controllers. For gamers, PCVR and PSVR2 is where all the hype is.

But at the end of the day, we need both. The Half-Life Alyx type games and the RE8 type games.

With the new number announced of almost 20 million units, and them selling ~8 million or so estimate headsets last year, it showed even after the price hike they were still losing money. The losses in this thread were only for 2022.

With almost 20 million sold now, just how much has Zucker lost on Quest 2 since its launch in 2020? Because I'm starting to wonder if a sales race in VR is actually sustainable, and instead, people should be aiming for gradual shipments for profit instead?

Of course, Zucker also lost money on software too, not just hardware. But his whole VR vision has been losing money and today, they admitted that Quest 2 has a retention rate problem in their "leak" about the Quest 3 details, which may also be contributing to software losses.

I mean at some point you need money coming in to appease investors and Zuckers execution has resulted in untold losses we don't know about, this news when it came out was only for one year. Not since the Quest 2 in 2019 until now.

Top Bottom